PDA

View Full Version : Question to Rollerbladers:

anwserman
Oct 30, 2003, 11:49 PM
I have a really stupid question for people who rollerblade (I don't so I can't answer these questions).

What happens when you skate within these various settings (saying you avoid them is NOT an answer!)

1) Short Grass
2) Sand (at a beach)
3) Shallow Water (fountain)

Thanks for replying (if you do!)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: anwserman on 2003-10-30 20:50 ]</font>

NKOTB
Oct 31, 2003, 12:19 AM
I don't know about rollerblading but walking on those surfaces is no big deal.

Abaddon
Oct 31, 2003, 02:58 AM
For the interests of preserving your rollerblades, stay out of those areas. I personally beleive grass is no problem, but with sand and water they get into the bearings and can really fuck up the wheels. The easiest thing to do is just to simply avoid them to tell you the truth. Apart from the wear and tear, they can be difficult to skate on, especially sand and grass.

Best of luck if it's your new hobby http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Abaddon on 2003-10-30 23:59 ]</font>

anwserman
Oct 31, 2003, 10:52 AM
Nah, its not my new hobby, need it for a game I'm working on since I have no idea how to rollerblade on various surfaces (I've tried, trust me) but I wanted to know what would happen if you went across those different areas, shallow water, sand and grass.

I'm thinking for grass, I'll just have to have the person slow down to a certain speed due to the added friction, and for water and sand I'll make the person 'walk' persay instead of skate.

Thank you for your help.

pixelate
Oct 31, 2003, 01:49 PM
Water on the wheels makes your feet slide out from under you.

shifter
Oct 31, 2003, 09:08 PM
when i go on grass i usually come to slow stop. water will rust up ur wheels. sand will come to a complete stop since u dont get any traction.

Abaddon
Oct 31, 2003, 10:39 PM
On 2003-10-31 07:52, anwserman wrote:
Nah, its not my new hobby, need it for a game I'm working on since I have no idea how to rollerblade on various surfaces (I've tried, trust me) but I wanted to know what would happen if you went across those different areas, shallow water, sand and grass.

I'm thinking for grass, I'll just have to have the person slow down to a certain speed due to the added friction, and for water and sand I'll make the person 'walk' persay instead of skate.

Thank you for your help.

Aah, game physics. Fair enough - wear and tear isn't important http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

I would imagine for grass, since it's very difficult to get traction on it (it's a rough,uneven surface, like sand), you would be reduced to a walk. Shallow water i've never skated in...but it would make movement rather erratic and restrictive. If say you had pavement that is moist, it'll just make handling a lot more sensitive.

Hope that helps mate http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Ness
Oct 31, 2003, 11:08 PM
Hey you decided to come back and check in too, eh?

anwserman
Nov 1, 2003, 01:35 AM
Thank you for all of your replies!