PDA

View Full Version : Rafoie...Gifoie?

HighElf9310
Nov 1, 2003, 10:58 PM
I myself prefer Rafoie, and have NEVER used Gifoie ona regular basis. The most I have done with it was to show my friends what it looked like...heh...

I can't see why people like GiFoie better...so I ask...Why?!

s.TiNgEr
Nov 1, 2003, 11:00 PM
I used it in normal caves

Ketchup345
Nov 1, 2003, 11:03 PM
On 2003-11-01 19:58, HighElf9310 wrote:
I myself prefer Rafoie, and have NEVER used Gifoie ona regular basis. The most I have done with it was to show my friends what it looked like...heh...

I can't see why people like GiFoie better...so I ask...Why?!

I think it can go through doorways, and it doesn't need a targetting curser to hit. Rafoie needs to be cast from the same room as the target and needs a targetting curser to actually do something besides drain unused TP.

TheAlmightyNewbie
Nov 1, 2003, 11:03 PM
It's stronger, and can sometimes hit enemies more than once (I think).

s.TiNgEr
Nov 1, 2003, 11:15 PM
If they're running away O_o

Nai_Calus
Nov 1, 2003, 11:40 PM
Gifoie can hit through doorways and does not require a target to hit. It can hit enemies on all sides of you, and often will wind up hitting the -next- wave of enemies if one spawns while it's going. It's also more powerful than Rafoie... Personally, I don't see why anyone uses Rafoie, and I've used a FOnewm before.

My FOmar -owns- Ult Mines. L28 Gifoie and a Red Merge are all he needs to utterly destroy everything in sight... Or out of sight behind him. I just run to the centre of the room and start spamming. Most days, things die long before they get to him. And since it takes time to reach it's full extent, most times I save a ton of TP as the last four or so Gifoies I launched off on that last wave... Hit the next wave that just spawned. Try that with Rafoie.

Gifoie = teh pwn. Thank you. O_o;

RedRage
Nov 2, 2003, 02:17 AM
GIfoi is a FOnewms best friend when you have a GIfoi Merge and a MAGICAL PIECE (60% bonus) plus the 1.3 x damage you get damn near 90% bonus. That and it goes through walls, what crazy person would not use it?

joluh
Nov 2, 2003, 03:11 AM
I preffer Rafoie over Gifoie, cause it's faster, and well for a FOnewm's TP, not such a big waste of ^_~

Kupi
Nov 2, 2003, 07:32 PM
Gifoie's got other uses besides direct damage, too... at high levels, you can use it to pick off awakening Rappies by casting it over them and running away or destroy Darvants right as they come out of Falz's mouth. Plus, there's the whole doing more damage thing. ^_^

Delsaber
Nov 2, 2003, 07:41 PM
Gifoie is the best for Dal Ra Lie while it is on the boat or jumping over the boat... In my opinion, it is better than Rafoie.

Strider_Gren
Nov 2, 2003, 07:49 PM
Can't really comment on Rafoie becuase I can only use Gifoie... (Twin Blaze)

heyf00L
Nov 2, 2003, 07:53 PM
I use both extensively. Rafoie mostly because it's faster.

ex
Nov 2, 2003, 10:06 PM
with my fomar i do prefer gifoie over rafoie, for the same reasons as the others that use gifoie, more powerful, using gifoie could take out multiple waves of enemies, and it looks cooler IMO, the only time i use rafoie is when im fighting dal rai..the worm boss in caves.

KaFKa
Nov 3, 2003, 02:42 AM
uhm, the only time gifoie is good is in single player, or online by yourself. rafoie has a thing called blast radius whis is infinitely useful when youre in there with a hunter manning the front lines. you get to stand at the doorway and just be the artillery. and its quicker, cooler-looking and actually has a base in games other than pso (yes, there is more out there) anyways, go ahead and tear my entry apart, have fun!

Barubary6
Nov 3, 2003, 03:18 AM
The only real reasons I see to use Rafoie are against De Rol Le/Da La Lie and to blow up lots of boxes >_<

-- Barubary

Jack
Nov 3, 2003, 05:01 AM
On 2003-11-03 00:18, Barubary6 wrote:
The only real reasons I see to use Rafoie are against De Rol Le/Da La Lie and to blow up lots of boxes >_<

-- Barubary

Tagging for EXP?

Eviltar
Nov 4, 2003, 09:49 PM
Here's my take on RAfoie vs GIfoie:

Advantages of RAfoie: RAfoie casts faster.
RAfoie does't have the obscene recovery time.
RAfoie has one of the cheapest TP costs for all spells at lvl 30 (big deal, huh?).
RAfoie has a really nice blast radius, which doesn't have to be centered on you.
Once the ball reaches a target, it hits everything instantly. You don't need to wait for it to slowly spiral outward.
RAfoie works nicely with a certain experience gaining trick. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif
RAfoie looks much better. GIfoie looks like some kind of flamy spam garbage. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif
Advantages of GIfoie: GIfoie potentially hits enemies faster (if they are right next to you).
GIfoie does more damage at the same level.
GIfoie doesn't need a target, so when you cast with no target, you can still do damage.
GIfoie hits through doors and walls, so you can play like a coward. Why do this? My FOnewm doesn't have to!
GIfoie has a larger radius (vs. the RAfoie blast radius), I think. I'm not sure.
From my point of view, RAfoie wins. That's why I have ditched my red merge in favor of a RAfoie merge, and I haven't looked back.

Nai_Calus
Nov 4, 2003, 10:06 PM
Personally, I find Rafoie to be underwhelming and boring. I don't know, I just like standing at the center of a swirling vortex of flame, the very air around me distorted by it's heat, my enemies falling like leaves on all sides... Yeah.

And Rafoie, despite it's cheap cost, is underpowered. Why drop it in 6 Rafoies when 5 Gifoies does the trick and takes out half of the next wave?

And shame on anyone who uses the Canabin trick except as a way to rebuild a corrupted character.

Eviltar
Nov 4, 2003, 10:37 PM
On 2003-11-04 19:06, Ian-KunX wrote:
And Rafoie, despite it's cheap cost, is underpowered. Why drop it in 6 Rafoies when 5 Gifoies does the trick and takes out half of the next wave?
Because you can fire 6 RAfoies in the time it takes to cast 3 GIfoies. Then you get to the next wave faster, finishing them at about the time it takes for GIfoie number 5 to do it's job.

It's all about killing rate, dawg.

And shame on anyone who uses the Canabin trick except as a way to rebuild a corrupted character.

Hehe!

FinalHell
Nov 4, 2003, 10:48 PM
I think it would be better to use Gifoie with an unequipped FOmar/FOnewm. Much faster =/

opaopajr
Nov 5, 2003, 05:06 AM
by the way, in the DC gifoie blew.

i'm glad they made it viable for people to even contemplate using it.

personally i prefer speed, i want as much exp in the littlest amount of time. why worry about TP usage, that's what trifluids are for.

about knocking off half the next wave, good. but how come i don't see many FOmarls, FOnewearls espousing it's praises? because it was geared to play up to certain classes strength. it's like you have to build a character with Gifoie in mind to reeally dig using it. pfft, fun i'm sure, but 2 classes do not make it better than rafoie on average.

A2K
Nov 5, 2003, 05:28 AM
I use both. *shrugs*

Hikara
Nov 5, 2003, 12:22 PM
Rafoie over Gifoie for me. Why? Pretty simple.

Rafoie, when in the higher levels, will hit EVERYONE and EVERYTHING in the room AT THE SAME TIME, instead of waiting for the stupid ring to stop spinning.

When you cast Rafoie, you can be on the opposite side of the room to hit them. Gifoie, you put yourself in danger.

And, who can't get over the look of Rafoie!? It's an explosion versus a ring of fire! I personally love the sound. (*ding!* BLAM!!!)

Armok
Nov 5, 2003, 12:43 PM
U gifoie just before the waves appear and then blast away with Rafoie when they're coming right for u. Both r good. Oh and gifoie is great on FiY just kill em all then gifoie leave the room and watch all the rappys kindly leave nice boxes for u to collect

ilr2000
Nov 5, 2003, 03:48 PM
Gifoie is fire and forget... It hits all around you and never misses. I use Gifoie when I'm trying to decide how to handle a group of enemies coming at me, or when I'm at the door waiting for the enemies to come to me. Sometimes its better to wait for them to come to you so you don't find yourself surrounded, during which you can set up three walls for them to walk through before they reach you.

Nai_Calus
Nov 5, 2003, 03:58 PM
On 2003-11-05 02:06, opaopajr wrote:

about knocking off half the next wave, good. but how come i don't see many FOmarls, FOnewearls espousing it's praises? because it was geared to play up to certain classes strength. it's like you have to build a character with Gifoie in mind to reeally dig using it. pfft, fun i'm sure, but 2 classes do not make it better than rafoie on average.

Well, here's one FOnewearl for you. Other than DRL, Persephone has never used Rafoie. If she needs to hit multiple, she busts out the Gifoie. Why use a weaker tech? *shrug* Why run away from a pack of things, waste time turning around to fire off Rafoie and risk them catching up with me while I do this, when I can run away, drop a Gifoie, run some more, they're meanwhile getting stunned so I've even more of a lead on them, drop another... Instead of hiding in the doorway like a coward. *snort*
And the only class Rafoie is any good with is FOnewms, by your logic. Let's change it a bit:

"it's like you have to build a character with Rafoie in mind to reeally dig using it. pfft, fun i'm sure, but 1 class does not make it better than Gifoie on average."

Ridiculous, no? Well. Guess what. ^_^;

Or:

"it's like you have to build a character with Resta in mind to reeally dig using it. pfft, fun i'm sure, but 2 classes do not make it better than mates on average."

By this logic, only FOnewearls should use simple techs, and nobody else should ever use them. Only FOnewms should ever use Ra-techs, and nobody else should ever use them. Only FOmarls and FOnewearls should use Resta/Anti, only FOmars/FOmarls should use S/D, only FOnewms and FOmars should use Gi-techs, only FOnewearls should use Megid, only FOmars/Fomarls should use Grants... No. Just... No.

ilr2000
Nov 5, 2003, 04:43 PM
I was thinking about this and it occured to me that it may not so much be an issue of one over the other, but an issue of only having six buttons to map. I know that if I were a FO and I had to pic a Foie tech, I would probably pic rafoie. Having both rafoie and gifoie mapped seperatly isn't worth the advantage you'll gain from using the respective techs when their needed most. Buttons are valuable, especially when half of them become useless due to photon blast. So most people substitute rafoie for gifoie, simply because rafoie will still get the job done, even if it may not be the best choice most of the time.

It's similiar to the extra attacks on weapons. People scarcly uses those extra attacks (except for charge weps, lol), but they're actually very handy. The problem is that the times that they are very handy are so few and far between that it would be more inconvenient to have an extra attack button mapped than it is to just go without the extra attack.

There are alot of nifty strategies in PSO that sadly get brushed aside because of the lack of proper input. I love the controller in PSO, but we need six face buttons at least, and a setup where PB's dont cover up alternate six buttons from the R shoulder.

Nai_Calus
Nov 5, 2003, 09:00 PM
There's a tech menu, you know. XP I typically have Grants mapped to the top of that so all I have to do is hit R+Y and then A to cast it, which is actually rather fast...

You're right on the special attack, though. The only char I ever have the special attack mapped for is my RAmarl(Unless she needs her 45% Berserk Arms for some reason, it just makes more sense to have A be the Special Attack, since the Frozen Shooter pwns so much)

And actually, I never map Rafoie outside of Mines and piping in FIY. L28 Gifoie owns all, and it's great for a good many things- It also has so much range that it will nuke the second wave of Rappies in FIY. But usually if a Foie-type is mapped, it's Gifoie or Foie itself. My poor Rafoie Merge sits unused while my Red and Foie Merges get around like cheap whores.

Oh, yes. And FOmarls shouldn't use anything -but- Grants, and nobody that isn't a FO with tech boosts should use them at all. XD

Make a character with Gifoie in mind to be able to use it, indeed... *snickersnort*

ilr2000
Nov 5, 2003, 10:48 PM
On 2003-11-05 18:00, Ian-KunX wrote:
There's a tech menu, you know.

I know... but I'm still having an issue with trying to have access to 12 + techs and items with only three buttons... whoops, just got 100 pb... 0 buttons.... damn...

MasterJoel
Nov 6, 2003, 01:50 AM
i only use rafoie to tag enemies when i'm using my HUne... it makes much more sense to tag enemies with a jellen if you want the exp... zalure works too.

gifoie is really strong with my FOmar... this is why i never rafoie spam when i use him. i ditched my red merge (went to my FOnewearl) for a gifoie merge. although many people hate its speed, it just gets a little getting used to, and it really is superior in power and range to a rafoie... i'd only use rafoie if i had a FOnewm, and i don't...

opaopajr
Nov 6, 2003, 06:21 PM
ridiculous comparison with resta. mates can be faster, true, but they save on money at lower lvls (especially for RAmars and HUmars who want something useful to use their early TP for) and at med lvls function like star atoms (which at mid lvls is not that easy to find). resta is, in general, better than mates. Only during fast attacks (i.e.bosses) is mates better. i really can't see this analogy as effective.

like i said before i play for speed. i don't cast a gifoie and run from the rappies. that's what razonde is for. i run, blast, then retrieve. less wait. also i don't sit and wait and gifoie in the middle of a room. there is elemental resistance by monsters so i need that casting time to mix my spells up a bit. i used to do that gifoie trap setup (even back on the DC), but i changed my mind. it's just not the speed i want in my characters.

and now since i haven't played every single class on GC up to lvl 30+ (though i have on DC), just all the new ones, i ask: is rafoie allowed to all HU and RA casters? if so i'd be more inclined to use Rafoie in those classes for speed reasons.

too often i hear gifoie spoke of in terms of forces merging with lv 20+ disks. remember it also takes time to get that. who cares about your forces current high setup? if you want to compare spells you must compare spectrum to spectrum, otherwise it is not worthwhile (remember how population studies are done in statistics?). how does this spell effect all the classes that can use it, throughout their leveling experience? unless the speed changed drastically i wouldn't use gifoie over rafoie with a HUnewearl, HUmar, RAmar, or RAmarl. I would have weapons to do damage and just want techs to do quick HP sloughing, preferably at a distance.

ps: and for my baby FOmar (just under 30) i find Rafoie better for my combat needs. And yes i've tried gifoie again (it looks better than before, i'll give it that). maybe if i build a Mind mag, find some merging items, and better Gifoie techs to go with his natural gifoie ability i might change my mind. but as a combat force focusing on zonde and barta class techs (because i either wanna stun it or freeze it and then what's left i beat down) rafoie works better for him. i just don't see the blanket "gifoie is better overall" angle. in certain situations and playing styles yes, but overall is a whole other can of worms.