PDA

View Full Version : Regarding online play .. uhn, safety? :D

tsubasa
Nov 1, 2003, 11:52 PM
A while ago I heard the GC servers for PSO were all horribly corrupt and full of nothing but worhtless hackers.

So I played by myself. Forever.

Now I want trading, friends, new challenges .. So I ask ...

Is online play really worth it? Or would I just loose my character and waste my money? I really loved it on DC! So .. opinions? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

KaFKa
Nov 2, 2003, 12:27 AM
playing online is worth it, but about the trading and friends and such, u just need to pick carefully and dont trust anyone youve known for less than 3 days GL

Stalfos333
Nov 2, 2003, 12:44 AM
I'm offline only, but I know people who play online. Each has had at least one major deletion from FSOD, and dupers/hackers are abundant. The more in a room, the more likely FSOD, and dupers make playing for a legit hell.

KaFKa
Nov 2, 2003, 01:11 AM
yeah, being legit is hard now. almost as nad as diablo 2 is. but i dont think it will ever get THAT bad *crosses fingers*

_Ted_
Nov 2, 2003, 03:34 AM
On 2003-11-01 20:52, tsubasa wrote:
A while ago I heard the GC servers for PSO were all horribly corrupt and full of nothing but worhtless hackers.

Maybe on X-box, but not on GC. Sure there's plenty of dupers, but I've never really seen a hacker before. I really don't know how the servers could be horribly corrupt either, unless ST is taking bribes! Anyways, playing online is much better than single player despite the afore mentioned factors.

Stalfos333
Nov 2, 2003, 04:48 AM
Since when are the options online or single player? I'm offline only, but frequently don't play single player.

polishedweasel
Nov 2, 2003, 05:00 AM
Hmmm...I know a few of these supposed "hackers" for the GC...and none of the people that I talk to care's to let any of their "creations" onto the online servers... I don't blame em. :

Buuyon
Nov 2, 2003, 09:29 AM
On 2003-11-02 02:00, polishedweasel wrote:
Hmmm...I know a few of these supposed "hackers" for the GC...and none of the people that I talk to care's to let any of their "creations" onto the online servers... I don't blame em. :

ehm...ok how can you hack offline?...yes you cant...

Krank40oz
Nov 2, 2003, 10:47 AM
Dam guys, ofcourse your run into some loosers and lamers that make the game not that much fun but the name of the game says it all, PSO (online), online is the best way to lv, have more fun and just everything online is better!

tsubasa
Nov 2, 2003, 03:28 PM
Thanks, guys .. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif I have a little more confidence now. Maybe I'll make a copy of my character on another mem. card and give it a try ..

tsubasa
Nov 2, 2003, 03:40 PM
Another question!! How does the online thing work? Can one sign online through AOL? Or what carrier of internet is needed should one not have cable or broadband? Generally, stuck with dialup. x_x

KaFKa
Nov 2, 2003, 04:29 PM
heh, dial-up... u still ned an adapter for your GC no matter what, and it should work through any provider, i think. but be forewarned: dial-up=TOO MUCH LAG i hate to say it, but its true =*(

JohanCC
Nov 2, 2003, 04:32 PM
AOL doesnt work with pso from what I've heard

KaFKa
Nov 3, 2003, 03:00 AM
really? oh well, i didnt know. does anyone have a legit heavens punisher they wanna trade for a legit sealed j-sword? (just felt like asking cuz i need one)

RFB
Nov 3, 2003, 06:16 AM
Playing online is damn worth it.
You'll need the modem adaptor and then buy the HL, of course.

And about Dial Up... it doesnt mean Loads of Lag. When I had "Telefonica" it was laggy as hell, sometimes almost unplayable, and sometimes, just unplayable.
But when I moved to wanadoo, it was so damn smooth, that I almost made wanadoo a god for myself. almost no lag at all, just a bit once each week or such.

Just choose an ISP with few customers, since their servers are almost empty.

BTW: AOL definitely doesnt work for PSO. Dunno why, though, but the fact is that it doesnt.

HUnewearl_Meira
Nov 3, 2003, 11:57 AM
In my experience, the dupers aren't all that much of a problem. In fact, in my bungling around, I've yet to encounter a duper. I know that they're out there... But for some reason, I've not encountered one. I've also not encountered the infamous, stereotypical HUmar with a Black King Bar, and I've seen a Spead Needle only once.
Which, considering how much I've played online lately, I'd say that's doing fairly well.

Greenie
Nov 3, 2003, 12:35 PM
I heard recently that AOL does now work for PSO, I don't know how..but since Nintendo and AOL signed that little deal that they would be the preffered Internet Provider for their online games they worked it out so you could use it.... But I may be wrong...

Now as far as going online, yes you can lose items and character Data through FSOD, and disconnects on occassion. And also there may be times that you get booted off, only to log back in having the game tell you that you have a bad file and will have your items and challenge Data reset, in which you lose ALL ITEMS , ALL SPELLS, and all Material enhancements you have used.

It's happened to me twice inthe past 2 weeks, but I have found some ways around it, and you may want to cut and paste these two methods to get around it and save it on your computer for when, not if it happens to you.

If you get the message that your memory card is corrupt or formatted for another region... do this.
(Disclaimer I got this method form these boards, I can't remember who posted it, but I thank them imensely because it saved my characters)

1. Take out the corrupt card and insert another card with PSO data on it.
2. Start an offline game all the way to the character select screen.
3. Remove the card..(do not select a character!!!!!)
4. When it says please insert memory card insert the corrupt file....Whallah your characters are healthy and alive.

I had this happen two days ago, and used this method..it does indeed work....

Also, another thing that may happen is that you get kicked off right as you are going into a game, when you log back on it tells you that your item data/ and challenge data will be initialized...
DO NOT HIT START AND ACCEPT it will clear out all of your items, and you will come back with a mag 500 mst 5 monomates and 5 monofluids.... instead
1.Pull out the memory card and hit reset
2.Make an offline multiplayer game with one of your other characters, if you don't have another character make one.
3. Transfer All items money etc. to the other character.
4. Log on with character that you jsut cleaned out the inventory and let it initialize the item/challenge data, you will lose whatever spells you have learned and all grinder enhancements, but it is better than losing all items money mags etc.
5. After char is initialized go back offline and transfer items back to character.. wha lah...not too much damage done...

Unlucky for me both of these methods were tested this last weekend when it happened to me, and like I said save this info for when...not if it happens to you especially if you are playing with a dial up connection.... I played this game for a year with none of it ever happening to me, but in the past month both have happend twice.