PDA

View Full Version : ---MULTI-REGIONING MY DC---

TylerFrost
Apr 4, 2001, 07:14 AM
Ok, this is going to sound like I wanna do BAAD things with my DC....but.... It's all for a VERY valid reason..

As I'm sure many of my fellow European gamers will agree, the fact that PSO ver.2 will not be released for us..... SUCKS ASS!

So therefor, I'm looking into getting my DC chipped and importing ver.2 but I have a couple of questions about it;

1. Is there a way I can chip it without opening the damn thing up? (i.e - memcard slot, a la Playstation1).
2. Will US Ver.2 work with UK Ver.1?
3. What were Sega thinking?

Please respond to this as I refuse to let Sega neglect me.... the BASTARDS!

--TF--

Sisqua
Apr 4, 2001, 07:26 AM
This information is to the best of my knowledge, but I'm prepared to be corrected:

1. You don't need to chip your DC to play US games - you just need a boot disk (downloadable from the net, or get someone to burn you one).

2. As far as I understand it, you won't be able to import PAL (European) characters into the US version 2, so you will have to start a new character from level 1 - this is what sucks most about the whole deal.

S.

TylerFrost
Apr 4, 2001, 07:49 AM
Whats the deal with this anyway? What makes the US and JAPAN so much more special than the entirety of EUROPE??

Sega are going in my bad books, Im tellin ya!

--TF--

AdamW
Apr 4, 2001, 08:29 AM
You don't necessarily need to chip your DC. You Could just get a boot disk. Cost about half the price of a game and you don't have to risk with some guy not knowing what he's doing screwing up your DC.

Sisqua
Apr 4, 2001, 08:50 AM
Whatever arguments Sega put up there are a whole load of reasons why Europe suffers.

Firstly, the game is always going to hit Japan first, because Sega is a Japanese co. and all the development is done in that language.

Secondly, the US is the largest single market in the world so it makes economic sense to release everything there - not only that but it is a market with one TV standard and one national language.

Europe is a market fragmented into a number of languages and a number of TV standards, so the game has to be re-produced several times to get it out into the different territories. Some of these territories are so small, that it doesn't always make financial sense to release the game there. Generally, the European operating company (e.g. SoE)itself is also considerably smaller, and for the English language translation, the European company will rely on taking the American release and then converting it to the Euro TV standard (generally a flavour of PAL) which means it will come out later than the US.

Added to this are marketing issues. Companies often like to stagger releases so that they can adjust a marketing campaign based on how it performed in a previously released territory.

In this case, SoE are saying that this will make it so late, that it will come only a few months before the release of the real PSO2 and thus will have a negative impact on the sales of the follow up.

Much as I think it sucks (and as a games fanatic I'm distraught that we're not going to see a UK PSOv2) I have to say that I understand why Sega, Nintendo, Sony act the way that they do. I work for one of the major movie studios (the one with the big globe) and we face exactly the same kind of issues with movies, especially video and dvd releases.

S.

GhoStar
Apr 4, 2001, 09:35 AM
I've heard the only way to play the US PSO on a UK Dreamncast, is via a mod-chip. You can use the Utopia Boot Disc or Action Replay to bott it. Although there are problems using the latter two mentioned. Something to do with certain items not working, mainly ones that use the beats clock.

I also doubt tyour UK character will be compatible with the US version. But I can't be sure.

TylerFrost
Apr 4, 2001, 09:45 AM
Computer Gaming Corporations can eat my arse!

They all suck..... Look at Microsoft... point proven! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif

--TF--

Mistkerl_Zwo
Apr 4, 2001, 10:11 AM
dude, sisqua,

u sound like my freakin international economics professor!

^_^