PDA

View Full Version : Newman

Gnarled_rose
Nov 4, 2003, 07:57 PM
So, what's the deal with Newmen? Their life span's indeterminate, but why? And why are their ears pointed? How can they regenerate TP? Sorry, but I'm a stickler for details like that.
And does anyone else find both classes of female Newman attractive? Because I know I do.

How I wish I had something better to do than sit around playing PSO. Offline, I might add. I'm using Juno, and I can't download that stupid RASspy.exe. CURSES!

Bill
Nov 4, 2003, 08:06 PM
On 2003-11-04 16:57, Gnarled_rose wrote:
So, what's the deal with Newmen? Their life span's indeterminate, but why? And why are their ears pointed? How can they regenerate TP? Sorry, but I'm a stickler for details like that.
And does anyone else find both classes of female Newman attractive? Because I know I do.

How I wish I had something better to do than sit around playing PSO. Offline, I might add. I'm using Juno, and I can't download that stupid RASspy.exe. CURSES!

There ears are pointy because there Elfs. and they regenerate TP by standing in one spot

There Life span's are intermediate because of there abilities

teflon
Nov 4, 2003, 08:22 PM
There ears are pointy because there Elfs.

ROFL.

Numans are artificial humans, so to speak. There were two in Phantasy Star 2, Neifirst and Nei and one in Phantasy Star 4, Rika (Fal in Japan) Somebody else here can explain it bette than me, though.

EDIT: Holy hell, I just slaughtered the tables.
EDIT 2:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: teflon on 2003-11-04 17:25 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: teflon on 2003-11-04 17:26 ]</font>

joluh
Nov 4, 2003, 08:25 PM
Hummmm i made this Topic like when i was just 10 posts old ((ooooh the old times, well just like 3 months ago =P)), let me see if i can find it, so the Moderators won't get mad because we make the same topics over and over...

KaFKa
Nov 4, 2003, 09:32 PM
although i dont know much about the pso anthology OR history, i do know alot about elves, so i think this might help you understand the gameplay part of them. elves are a race concieved of powerful arcane and divine magics, all of them having innate magical abilities (hence the tp regen and the fact that they all use techs so well) elves are USUALLY slim and petite' but some were born with unspeakable ugliness and strength (i guess where they got the idea of the HUnewm) who later became the orcs, but thats getting too much into a whole different game. i hope that helps you understand a little bit, and if not, oh well, i bequeathed you some knowledge

_Sinue_
Nov 4, 2003, 11:16 PM
Newmans have nothing to do with Elves. While there is some debate over what Biomonster was used to create Numans, most people generally agree that they are the product of splicing Human and Musk Cat genetic structures. This was done to create a sort of "Super Soldier", by mixing the best traits of both species. With the human side, you have your intelligence, vercitility, and Endourance. On the Musk Cat side you get your Agility, Magic proficencies, and heightened sences. Because of their cat-like side, they have an affinity for using claw weapons.

(Note: A Musk Cat is a creature seen in Phantasy Star 1 and 4. You fought with a Musk Cat named Mayu in your party in the first game. They are about the size of a house cat, are intelligent and can hold conversations. They are very talented with both magic, and their extreemely sharp claws.)

In Phantasy Star II, you were introduced to the Numan race. Nei and NeiFirst were created as a singular being in a labratory - and later split into two seperate beings. (How this happened, is still a bit of a mystery) NeiFirst was enraged at the scientists for creating and experimenting on her. She destoryed the facility and everyone in it.. and later tried to flood Motavia with Biomonsters by sending spikes of power to the Biosystems plant - making it run out of control. Since the Nei project was terminated shortly after the creation of the first Numan - the process for creating them was never quite perfected. The instabilities in their genetic structure are probably accountable for their indefiniate lifespans.

Only one Numan was created "Perfect". That was Rika (Fal) in Phantasy Star 4. She was the creation of an Autonomous AI named SEED, a BioSystems supercomputer that survived the Great Collapse. The area it was located at would later be named "Birth Valley".

Anything else you want to know?

Gnarled_rose
Nov 4, 2003, 11:19 PM
Well...That wasn't helpful at all. And if I may edit, I meant WHY do they regen TP? I know perfectly HOW they do it, but physiologically speaking, how the heck do they do that?
Man, considering this is the closest thing to an official site, it's pretty sparse when it comes to sci-fi geek caliber info. My title explains it all.

A2K
Nov 4, 2003, 11:33 PM
So, what's the deal with Newmen?
See Sinue's post.

Their life span's indeterminate, but why?
"Science and technology. It's not as almighty as people would believe." Newmans in the game are, based on what Sue says, imperfect by nature.

And why are their ears pointed?
See Sinue's post. Basically: it's a result of genetic manipulation.

How can they regenerate TP?
Unknown. Lol, sorry, but there hasn't been an explanation for that yet. Hell, in the Dreamcast version they didn't do that--

And does anyone else find both classes of female Newman attractive?
Heh heh heh.

Mixfortune
Nov 5, 2003, 12:04 PM
It was most likely something inserted to make EPI&II more interesting.

If I recall correctly, at least in PSIV, Androids recovered 1 HP per step they took. I think also each character recovered MP...

So in EPI&II they did this:

Newmans recover TP while standing still. (Magical regen)
Humans get 250 stat materials. (Growth potential)
Androids recover HP while standing still. (Physical regen)

Hikara
Nov 5, 2003, 12:11 PM
Find female newmans attractive? HECK YEAH!!

But the whole regeneration thing, you guys just keep rambling on and on about HOW not WHY. I think I may know why.

To me, TP is considered as magical energies stored within one's body. When those magical energies are drained, spells can no longer be cast. (Any force character has experiance this.) It is in my opinion that Newmans have the potential to absorb TP, Mana, Photons, whatever, from the air and channel them into their bodies using their minds. And it must take a good amount of concentration, as it can only happen when they stand still. Hope that helps, Rose.

If anyone wants to argue with me, go right ahead. I'm busy writing a Fic anyway...

Hikara

P.S.- you know who I am, Rose. I KNOW you do.

_Sinue_
Nov 5, 2003, 12:32 PM
TP regeneration is not a traditional trait of Newmans like their ears. They've never had it in previous games, and even up into PSO v.1 and v.2 they didn't have it. I'm willing to bet that they will not have this trait in future PS games either. TP regeneration was only added to their race in Ep I & II to help balance things out for the sake of gameplay.

Since it's not a native trait, or one with precedence in the series (Even the PSO series), I don't view it as a defining characteristic or one that deserves special mention or explanation.

If it makes you feel better, you could say their natural affinity for magic allows them to regain magic power without the need for outside stimuli (fluids) or bedrest (a Hospital visit) like other races - but since they are part Human, their TP regeneration is muted and limited only to when they aren't actively exerting themselves. (Standing still)

_Sinue_
Nov 5, 2003, 12:39 PM
By the way - there is no magic in PSO. There are only "Techniques". In the PS series, there is a strong distinction between Techs and Magic. Techs are like learnable skills - or a type of Pseudo magic using technology for the effects. This is why you learn spells from "Disks" instead of Tomes or Scrolls.

Actual magic is only useable by a select few.. namely Espers.

(And yes, according to the explanation I just gave, I mixed the distinctions too. Don't bother pointing that out.)

Hikara
Nov 5, 2003, 02:42 PM
Disks are not the technology that cast spells. They're the discs that cause you to learn HOW to cast them, just like tomes or scrolls. Ha. What's your answer to that?

And now that he's got a wide variety of opinions, maybe we'd like to see Gnarled Rose's ideas on how this happens, yeah?

joluh
Nov 5, 2003, 03:03 PM
On 2003-11-04 20:33, A2K wrote:

Their life span's indeterminate, but why?
"Science and technology. It's not as almighty as people would believe." Newmans in the game are, based on what Sue says, imperfect by nature.

I think Sue was talking just about her, on my old old topic ((never could found it)) looked like Sue was created by Black Paper, and a Newman can live for long periods of time, like 300 years, exactly like a Musk Cat

And why are their ears pointed?
See Sinue's post. Basically: it's a result of genetic manipulation.

Exactly

How can they regenerate TP?
Unknown. Lol, sorry, but there hasn't been an explanation for that yet. Hell, in the Dreamcast version they didn't do that--

Well TP it's Energy to cast Techs, and it's based on your MENTAL power, and since Newmans have a whole lot more mental power than a Human ((easy words: they're more astute, and itelligent too)), so i guess they really never get tired of casting TECHS cause they seems to be made for that ((SEEMS)), and they can melee pretty well too ((HUnewearl/FOnewm)), in other words, it's something like a Human, if you run too much, you'll get tired and need to take a rest or something to do it again, while if you was genetic manipulated to run a lot, you'll kinda never get tired of running, the same with Android's HP...

((i think the only one who understand that it's just myself X_x'))

And does anyone else find both classes of female Newman attractive?
Heh heh heh.

WHO DOESN'T!?!?!?

And this is my Post number 400 ^_^ so proud it was on a topic about NEWMANS XD

HUnewearl_Meira
Nov 5, 2003, 03:08 PM
On 2003-11-04 16:57, Gnarled_rose wrote:

Numans first appeared, as Sinue said, in Phantasy Star 2. It's been speculated that they are genetically influenced by Musk Cats (Myau from Phantasy Star 1 was a Musk Cat, also Musk Cats appeared as their own little civilization in a cave in Phantasy Star 4, but what most people forget is that they also appeared in Phantasy Star 2-- evidently while Palmans were mining on Dezolis, they considered Musk Cats to be very pleasant pets, but when the mining became hazardous, the Palmans fled and many of these cats were left on Dezolis: hence the Musk Cat cave in Phantasy Star 4).

And yes, there is a distinction between Techniques and Magic. Techniques are described as being a form of watered-down magic, that nearly anyone can use. It's evident, however, that a biological portion is required to use techniques. This is why the Androids of Phantasy Star 4 cannot use techniques, while the cyborgs of Phantasy Star 3 can use techniques. Supposedly, Technique usage was discovered by Lutz, the leader of the Esper order. It then spread from there. I might note that magic CAN be learned, but some may find it easier than others, plus, it takes a long long time to learn magic, whereas learning techniques doesn't take very long at all.

Given that, I suggest that Newmans regenerate TP not because they're "magically inclined". Techniques are not really magic, after all. I submit that TP is a physical quality of biology. It's not so much that a Newman magically "regains" this power. It's more that they catch their breath faster, so to speak. They've a quicker recovery time from physical exertion due to naturally high metabolism (Ever notice that it's impossible to make a chubby HUnewearl?), among other things.

Do I find female newman classes attractive? Well... My wife would tell you that I have a Newman fettish. She'd probably be right. I've been a big fan of long-eared chicks ever since seeing Nei in Phantasy Star 2 back when I was 10 or so.

As far as Juno goes... Ditch Juno. It sucks. Try Access-4-Free.com, instead. It's a $5 setup fee, but you can pay by credit card or money order. 10 hours free each month, the second 10 hours costs $1 an hour, and anything beyond that first 20 hours a month is free. No special dialers needed, just pure dial-up goodness. Reasonably stable connections for dirt cheap, and during the time that I used it, I never had a problem with busy signals.

anwserman
Nov 5, 2003, 03:58 PM
I think the whole regaining TP is just to balance things out... like in the PSO DC, anyone could learn techniques, proving that there really was no point to having a force, except for the ability to learn techniques sooner. The spells were limited to certain classes in other versions to balance out gameplay.

And the whole character classes and their abilities change from game to game... the male hunter is PS1 was all brawn but obviously too stupid to learn ANY techniques, while in other games afterwards the male hunters could learn them, or 'earn' them depending on your level. Heck, Chaz learned Megid in PS4, though that was more akin to Rafoie in PSO then a dark purpley cloud.

HUnewearl_Meira
Nov 5, 2003, 04:25 PM
On 2003-11-05 12:58, anwserman wrote:
I think the whole regaining TP is just to balance things out... like in the PSO DC, anyone could learn techniques, proving that there really was no point to having a force, except for the ability to learn techniques sooner. The spells were limited to certain classes in other versions to balance out gameplay.

And the whole character classes and their abilities change from game to game... the male hunter is PS1 was all brawn but obviously too stupid to learn ANY techniques, while in other games afterwards the male hunters could learn them, or 'earn' them depending on your level. Heck, Chaz learned Megid in PS4, though that was more akin to Rafoie in PSO then a dark purpley cloud.

Megid was more like filling a room with Rafoie... Of course, it was the pwn in Phantasy Star 2, when Rolf learned it-- It was so powerful, it hurt even your own party members. Indescriminate. BOOOOOOOM!!!!

Anyway... I don't think you're going at the question from the right mindset... Anyone can observe that the TP regeneration was added to create more balance in the game, but that's not what he's asking. You have to get to the really geeky nerdy aspect of it, and wonder about how it is accomplished on a biological level, fictional though it may be.

Zebulan7
Nov 5, 2003, 04:27 PM
About TP restoration, I am pretty sure I've seen my newman regain TP while running. This might be like the TP/restorate one can equip except that it grows faster.

Hikara
Nov 5, 2003, 05:25 PM
Honestly. Have you forgotten what he asked?

Gnarled_rose
Nov 5, 2003, 09:38 PM
Thank you. Thank you all, especially Sinue. I was only aware of PSO Ep. 1&2 until all this. Note to self:Gather information.
As far as the ditching Juno goes, I just might. Access-4-Free.com, huh? Sounds promising.
Thanks to Sinue for answering all my questions in the first reply, and kudos to all you who got this going into an 18 reply post.
Hikara can suck a lemon, though. You and your self-glorification can take a flying leap.

No, it's ok. We know each other a little too well, that's all. Far too well....Grrr........

Well, once more, thanks to you all. And one last one toward Sinue. You were especially helpful.