PDA

View Full Version : Old school DC player now on GC - any tips?

Faewyn
Nov 5, 2003, 01:02 AM
It's been a long time since I've evolved mags to boost stats and sweated while my low level character struggled to kill ole wormy at the end of Cave 3. Brought back a lot of memories. While I'm waiting for my GC modem to arrive, I was wondering if any of you friendlier souls wouldn't mind getting me up to speed with the PSO community. And PSO for GC in general.

First shot, my friend saw a character with a tail, level 16, using some sort of gun that shot "drill bits" that took 200+ damage off of everything. Was my friend hitting the paint pails again, is this some new PSO GC stuff twinked down to a low level character, or is this character hacked — like Mia in .hack. What's the state of gamesharking in PSO these days anyway. I have to admit, I liked being able to backup my character due to frequent FSODs, but hated getting NOL'd all the time. And the evil god/equip-- (or whatever they were called), and the PK'ing... Made me stop playing. What am I in for with PSO GC? (And save the 'legit' crap. I don't have time to regrind new characters due to data loss by a server glitch.) Leave the morality discussions to another thread and just let me know what cool or evil stuff is being done by gamesharking. I don't even own a GS for GC, so I just want to know what to look out for.

Second shot, from what I've been reading Ult mode is easier on the GC and Xbox than it was on DC. Is that true? Some of you guys miss Ult mode, but man, I hated it. My pretty little android ranger couldn't hit anything. I spent my time dumping mines, running back to the nurse for more, then dumping mines again. I eventually hit a wall in Ult Mines level 2. Oh, the fun. Another reason I stopped playing. It felt like work getting anywhere in Ult mode. I just didn't have time for that anymore.

Third shot, I was there on the first day DC PSO went online. I was there for a year before I couldn't take all the script kiddies with their gameshark viruses and naughty circle jerking with symbol chats. I felt like I was in high school again, and I didn't like high school very much. When all my friends stopped playing and games closed up and nobody chatted anymore in the lobby to strangers, I hung up my hat and logged off. What's the GC PSO community like? Open games? Friends aplenty? I don't expect to come across any discussions of Shakespear's latest, but back in the day everybody loved to socialize on the DC. Then socializing moved off the lobbies and into the chat rooms on the net. What's the online PSO like now?

So there are a few questions, but I'm open to all and any new PSO information. Bombard me. I'm ready to soak it all up! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

primer567
Nov 5, 2003, 07:01 AM
First shot, my friend saw a character with a tail, level 16, using some sort of gun that shot "drill bits" that took 200+ damage off of everything.
Probably not hacked, these are just new items/weapons that were added for EpI&II.

What's the state of gamesharking in PSO these days anyway. I have to admit, I liked being able to backup my character due to frequent FSODs, but hated getting NOL'd all the time. And the evil god/equip-- (or whatever they were called), and the PK'ing... Made me stop playing. What am I in for with PSO GC?
There is no online cheating, FSOD still exists but its not nearly is bad. NOL is totally removed. And lucky for you, there is no PK.

Second shot, from what I've been reading Ult mode is easier on the GC and Xbox than it was on DC. Is that true?
Yes.

What's the GC PSO community like? Open games? Friends aplenty?
There are some haters, but overall its good.

Landsi
Nov 5, 2003, 07:19 AM
Its a shame that NOL is back on the XBOX and in no long the dam hacks will be back...

But i know that not many people know about NOL on the xbox but my friend got NOL'd and I've seen a NOL character.

And just be warned soon of the new quests coming out soon that will make you be able to add percentages to Weapons and thats very good news for hackers...

anwserman
Nov 5, 2003, 08:34 AM
On the X-Box, NOL? I'd honestly cry to death if someone did do that, along with registering horribly bad feedback for the loser who did that to me.

Though, if you turn off the power without saving, you lose your items but you still keep your character, correct? Or will the character still be NOL?

Hikara
Nov 5, 2003, 12:15 PM
Never played DC version, but expect much better gameplay on GC. It has the fastest load times of the systems, second best graphics, and Gamesharking/hacking has become illegal thanks to Sonic Team.

Friends aplenty? I'm not sure, because I haven't been able to get online. BUt when I do, I'd be glad to be your friend!! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

anwserman
Nov 5, 2003, 01:31 PM
Touche, I have the X-Box version and the GC version and the X-Box version has much faster load times then the GC, but they're both less then the Dreamcast load times if I remember correctly. Haven't played DC PSO recently!

Max0
Nov 5, 2003, 02:43 PM
NOL, could some one fill me in on what this is. Never really knew.

Rich_T
Nov 5, 2003, 03:12 PM
NOL was/is the stuff of nightmares, your paying an online game then something odd happens, the next thing you know, your character has changed its name and form to NOL ( or any other non player character form a quest, ie ASH) your down to lv5 and youve lost all your stuff, in effect youve been corupted, on purpose.
if your online on DC PSO (EU or JP versions) and this happens power off your dreamcast and cross your fingers.

Max0
Nov 5, 2003, 03:24 PM
Never happened to me, havent been online with pso since feb.(GC) Recently decided to fire it back up, but modem was messed up so getting a new one. Has it ever been done on the gamecube version?

Drayma
Nov 5, 2003, 04:31 PM
Good thing you can play multiplayer PSO without ever going online, unlike DC pso.

Faewyn
Nov 5, 2003, 04:32 PM
NOL was nasty. It was the main reason I stopped playing PSO. You start an open game and somebody named ]-[^x0R jumps in. He doesn't reply to any chats. He just appears. Then the game FSODs a bit. I die. Then I'm back in the nurses office, but now I'm NOL level 5, not Faewyn Wraith, level 106. Now, getting to level 106 took a lot of work, so I'm not too happy to be NOL, right? But Sega doesn't allow me to backup my data unless I use a Gameshark/CB. And even if I restore my character, I need to run around for a while trying to guess how much time difference is between my backup data and the last time I logged onto the server. What a pain! I was paying money for this!?! It happened to me three times, and I was done.

I suppose the solution was playing closed games, but you don't make any new friends playing closed games. All my friends had moved on (tired of the pk'ers and their ilk), and I would sit there in a closed room searching thru all my guild cards finding NOBODY I knew online. It wasn't fun.

I tried hooking up with people online here and mamaks, but everybody I struck up a friendship with lived on the other side of the planet and didn't play when I did! LOL I was so frustrated.

I just want to be assured that the world of PSO is a safe and fun place to play in now. For the GC anyway.

Faewyn

Krank40oz
Nov 5, 2003, 04:58 PM
I mean dont get me wrong I love the GC pso but i liked the dc version 2 better, eeverything is alot easier then before and now it was kinda tuff lving up ur char once he past lv 130 but since the bringing about of Toward The Futurer(TTF) lving up is easy as doing 4 ttfs and u get like 3 or 4 lvs pending what lv u already r. There are alot more kids that play PSO for gc. MOst r pritty cool to hang with but i would say 20% r just plain gay. And the constant span icon chat in lobbys is annying as hell. But overall i think the game is awsome and you should deff get back into it!

rulicia
Nov 5, 2003, 05:52 PM
I played DC PSO. Now on GC. There no NOLs and PKers anymore. There is dupers and hackers. Ult mode is easyer than the one on PSOv2. There are nice people online,but there are a buch of a**holes on vega. When you get online I would like to meet you,but right having accout promebles.

primer567
Nov 5, 2003, 06:57 PM
There is no NOL on Xbox!

If you are refering to Snowfox's NOL character pictures it can only be done offline and you cant do it to other people.

Dont worry children.

Faewyn
Nov 5, 2003, 07:12 PM
Hikara, rulicia, I'd love to meet up with you online. Sounds great. I'll be sure to look you up when I get that modem for my GC...

Why exactly Vega? Why do they stay there? LOL I wish there was a mod system so we could mod somebody up or down depending on how well they interacted with us. Play a great game, get 1+ mod point. Rip me off, get -1. Then limit server access to mod levels. Players with high mod points get to play safely in the good servers, and the punks can play in the brown sector (to borrow a place from B5). Sure, there would be abuses, but over all the system would be fair. If you get modded down too far in a certain period of time, you are banned from higher servers for a limited time.

Let the hackers hack. Mod them into their own server so they can play with themselves.

D

Landsi
Nov 6, 2003, 05:06 AM
My friend said he had been nol'd and just after that i saw a char called NOL which made me just quit staright away.

I dont know anything else apart from this.

NoaIzumi
Nov 6, 2003, 05:19 AM
Old school DC player now on GC - any tips?

Be good to your mother.

Kaos-Bringer-
Nov 6, 2003, 11:41 AM
hmmmm... heh... wow... i love the fact you can play multi offline... one thing... all your characters will love each other! lol i have found myself many a times holding a controller in each hand dropping items from one to the other and vice versa... lol -_-' off subject? i have no clue...

tips? i dunno really... lol im offline gc only now considering i was only offline dc too... but i have been on a few times... just watch out for the hacked newbs who think they are better since they are higher level...

but umm i dunno really, umm yes ult is much easier... my humar on dc got to ult at lvl 71 and couldnt hit a thing unless it was technique os dragonslayer with %'s against native... but now my hucaseal(now lvl 128) hit ult at 61 and womped them with her angry fists lol. as well as my humar making it there around 60 as well, my hunewearl making it there at like 53, and my fomar making it there around like hmm i forgot... he is 83 now but oh well... lol just have fun good luck ^_^

Krank40oz
Nov 6, 2003, 05:54 PM
Where did u get ur modem from? Ebay or like a gaming site? I got mine off ebay for the BBA for only 27 bucks and I got it in under 3 days, was a great deal you should try there if u havnt bought it yet!!

Faewyn
Nov 6, 2003, 08:55 PM
Krank40oz—

I don't have a modem YET. I've been pricing eBay. Seems they hold their prices very well. A new one only costs $35 from Nintendo's site so I wouldn't pay more than $15 for a used one. But plenty of other people like to save a buck or two. I've seen modems sell for $32!!!. But if I'm going to pay close to the full price, I'll just pay the full price and get a warranty.

In the meantime, I'm doing research. No sense buying a modem if the lobbies are filled with circle jerks and hackers... I can just play offline with my friends for the time being, though I must play in secret. My kids don't know I bought a GC. LOL So I can only play late at night. Waitaminute...that's when I usually played anyway! ^_^.

Multi offline players... I must admit, the DC should have had this feature...

NoaIzumi
Nov 6, 2003, 10:16 PM
On 2003-11-06 17:55, Faewyn wrote:

My kids don't know I bought a GC. LOL So I can only play late at night. Waitaminute...that's when I usually played anyway! ^_^.

Your kids are so going to sell you on ebay when they find out you've been playing without them.

trunkszero
Nov 6, 2003, 10:45 PM
lol as well as your character data, i wouldn't mind playing with you once i buy my bba and i'm also an old dc pso user

Faewyn
Nov 8, 2003, 02:19 AM
On 2003-11-06 19:16, NoaIzumi wrote:
Your kids are so going to sell you on ebay when they find out you've been playing without them.

ROFL! My oldest daughter is definately going to kill me. LOL But I had to make sure it worked, right? Every night...after they went to bed....for hours and hours and hours..... LOL

So, to get back on subject, I've read there are some glitches out there people like to take advantage of on the GC. The only one I worry about is that trade window steal. Is this for real, or is it a rumor? Anyway to avoid it short of never using the trade window (which sorta defeats the purpose of having that feature. +_+);

CrimsonII2
Nov 8, 2003, 03:20 AM
well, the only real problem is dupers, hackers are far and inbetween, rare to run into them, allthough people with what you might call hacked chars is a different story, its not that they are hackers, but there is an easy glitch in the game for people to max the stats out on their characters, so there are a number of people that have done that (not hard to miss em either, while in a game, and they are using some of the strongest weps while a really low level is a pretty obvious clue), also the thing you mentioned that shot drill bits, is called a drill launcher, and only requires 100 ata, so it doesn't take much for people to use, allthough it is android only, I'd like to meet up with you online sometime too, once you get a modem anyways, and I would suggest just getting a new one, or if you have a lan for your computers, just get the broadband adapter, its what I use, even though my connection is dial up. Oh, and for tips, dont play ep 2 till you've at the least beaten ep 1 in normal, its not easy, especially olga flow, he could kill a char that has gotten close to ultimate, if your not careful

Faewyn
Nov 11, 2003, 11:50 PM
On 2003-11-08 00:20, CrimsonII2 wrote:
well, the only real problem is dupers, hackers are far and inbetween, rare to run into them, allthough people with what you might call hacked chars is a different story, its not that they are hackers, but there is an easy glitch in the game for people to max the stats out on their characters, so there are a number of people that have done that (not hard to miss em either, while in a game, and they are using some of the strongest weps while a really low level is a pretty obvious clue),

I've been doing a lot of research to catch up. So far, I've learned about the Shop Trick — which allows duping, multi equiping, and sets the stage for the max stat glitch. Apparently, it allows the Trade Window Steal to occur as well. Seems to me that if you need the menus open to pull off those tricks, then doing your trading on the planet, not the city, is the best way to avoid the trade steal. Don't you have to disable menus in order to warp planetside?

Those are some amazing glitches. I hear they're available in all versions of PSO, including the DC! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif How'd ST let THAT get by them? LOL

As for true hackers, they packet edit, or hex edit — called hexing. Have you ever looked at hex code? Frankly, I wouldn't have the patience to tinker with the save file and transfer it back and forth between the game and my Mac just to see if I get lucky. So hexing requires some sort of encrypter/decrypter to help decypher the hexcodes... I don't know much more than this. Don't know any hackers personally. It seems an awful lot of work just to cheat, and aren't cheaters usually interested in taking a short cut? LOL So I'm not surprised there aren't many true hackers as you say...

also the thing you mentioned that shot drill bits, is called a drill launcher, and only requires 100 ata, so it doesn't take much for people to use, allthough it is android only,

Aha! That's its name. My friend will be so thankful. LOL He was both unnerved by playing with this kid, and envious of his tools. ROFL. I wouldn't have stayed in the game. It's not fun playing with God and his happy squad of modified buddies.

I'd like to meet up with you online sometime too, once you get a modem anyways, and I would suggest just getting a new one, or if you have a lan for your computers, just get the broadband adapter, its what I use, even though my connection is dial up. Oh, and for tips, dont play ep 2 till you've at the least beaten ep 1 in normal, its not easy, especially olga flow, he could kill a char that has gotten close to ultimate, if your not careful

Thanks for your comments. Especially the BBA one on a LAN. I hadn't thought of that. It will take a bit more work to set up, but then I can easily slip into broadband with PSO when I finally install it. I currently have an airport network set up with my two iMacs, but the ethernet port is open on the Airport hub because I'm on dial up. That's a GREAT suggestion! LOL

I'll definately want to hook up with you when I get it all set up.

Deus-Irae
Nov 12, 2003, 05:12 AM
On 2003-11-05 09:15, Hikara wrote:
Never played DC version, but expect much better gameplay on GC. It has the fastest load times of the systems, second best graphics, and Gamesharking/hacking has become illegal thanks to Sonic Team,.

i thought the xbox didnt have the extra graphical effects on the telepipe and the higher level spells. how are the graphics better than on the cube?

"I don't expect to come across any discussions of Shakespear's latest, but back in the day everybody loved to socialize on the DC."

wow Shakespeare is still writing? ill have to go check Amazon for his latest. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

i havent played the xbox version, but the cube still has a good community, lots of people and fun things to do.

looks like you dont really need any tips though. seems like you've done your research. have fun.

primer567
Nov 12, 2003, 07:15 AM
Those are some amazing glitches. I hear they're available in all versions of PSO, including the DC!
Yes but M$ had it patched on PSOX thanks to the HD.

kevlar_pso
Nov 12, 2003, 08:11 AM
NOLling? I have not heard of any NOLers on xbox. Keep in mind too that the dude posting that was a Brittish player. That may be the case on the Euro servers, but on xbox here in the states we are all Red, White, and Blue. As far as NOLling on the gc, have not seen that either. Considering the majority of the posters here @this site are gc players, you would hear about it if that was the case.
I too was a DC PSOer, I couldn't play anymore cause I burnt out one of the components on my DC. lol It was pretty dumb, you do stupid things when you are tired, @least I do anyways. I put some pillows and folded blankets on top of my DC to muffle the sound of the disk spinning and fan blowing, only to leave to the lobby then show this guy what a heaven's punisher did. . . . . . and was stuck on the loading screen casue the disk couldn't spin fast enuff! lol
I've run into a couple of ppl that I remember and they remember me from the DC days, if ya wanna join my game or meet up just gimme a holla. My email is somewhere around here if ya look hard enough.

peace out

Mystil
Nov 12, 2003, 11:25 AM
DC ult is better than GC ult by my experience...but the ATA in GC is more realistic than DC. Which was very rediculous..

Faewyn
Nov 14, 2003, 04:30 AM
On 2003-11-12 02:12, Deus-Irae wrote:

"I don't expect to come across any discussions of Shakespear's latest, but back in the day everybody loved to socialize on the DC."

wow Shakespeare is still writing? ill have to go check Amazon for his latest. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

looks like you dont really need any tips though. seems like you've done your research. have fun.

LOL You seem to be the only person who noticed that. Just a bit of my odd sense of humor. (@_@)

Well, I hate to be uninformed.

About that trade window steal, from what I've researched it seems that the shop window trick can still be active thru the warp to the Principal's office, but not down to Ragol. So, although I still don't know what the Trade Steal trick is all about, I can probably safely say that trading is OK planetside. The shop window trick only works in the city.

You realize, of course, I'm only doing all this research because I CAN'T GET ONLINE AND PLAY THE GAME YET!!!! Argh! LOL

Faewyn

darthsaber9x9
Nov 14, 2003, 06:32 AM
On 2003-11-05 09:15, Hikara wrote:
It has the fastest load times of the systems, second best graphics, and Gamesharking/hacking has become illegal thanks to Sonic Team.

since when has anythign been illegal? O YEAH IT SEZ IN TEH MANUAL! o well, they dont do anythign about it

That may be the case on the Euro servers, but on xbox here in the states we are all Red, White, and Blue.

the union jack is red white and blue http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wet-trout.gif http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_turtle.gif http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_chicken.gif