PDA

View Full Version : a question on sleep

The_Neon_Samurai
Feb 19, 2001, 08:57 AM
since i don't get that much sleep lately http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_wink.gif,
i was wondering... if you keep on sleeping for about 5h a day, will your body get used to it at some point? Can you actually "give up" sleeping? i find that, altough i'm pretty tired all the time, i at least can manage that way by now. Also, as a little poll, how much does everyone sleep around here and how much do you play pso on average during weekdays and the weekend?

Oronis
Feb 19, 2001, 09:06 AM
Sleep heh, I don't get much. I usually sleep for about 6 or 7 hours every two days or so. Not healthy I know, but its not something I do willingly heh.

As for 5h a day question, you can get used to it, but you will be tired almost all the time, as a general habit I would suggest always making sure you get at least 8 hours sleep a night. As for giving up sleep, it doesn't work, if you stay up for about 4 days(give or take some) you will probably start hallucinating. For me mild hallucinations occur usually I am certain I can hear a certain NiN song, by that point I take sleeping pills =)

I'm beginning to ramble now heh...

Bottom line if possible choose sleep over nearly everything else.

-Matrix-
Feb 19, 2001, 09:19 AM
On 2001-02-19 05:57, The_Neon_Samurai wrote:
since i don't get that much sleep lately http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_wink.gif,
i was wondering... if you keep on sleeping for about 5h a day, will your body get used to it at some point? Can you actually "give up" sleeping? i find that, altough i'm pretty tired all the time, i at least can manage that way by now. Also, as a little poll, how much does everyone sleep around here and how much do you play pso on average during weekdays and the weekend?
[addsig]

I don't play more then 1-1 $1/2 hours of PSO, but during the week, I only get 5 hours of sleep. I got used to it, since it's been almost a year i've been doing this. Even if I wanna sleep more, I just cant. I automatically wake up 5 hours after I sleep. But then again, whenever I go to sleep at night, it takes me less then 10 mins, and I'm out cold.... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_biggrin.gif

So, yes, you can get used to sleeping 5 hrs a day, but when the week-end comes, I sleep like, 10 hours... heh...

50volts
Feb 19, 2001, 10:18 AM
I think PSO and sleep are mutually exclusive goals. I mean hey: Before I go to sleep, I need to get one more level... ok maybe two more.... I mean three.. you get the idea. Anyway, 5 hours is a little to short I think so I force myself to bed at like 11 or midnight and the get up at 7. That's about the minumum for healthy sleep I belive. (don't ask me why I have so many German's guild cards I swear that I wasn't playing at 4 in the morning)

50volts
Feb 19, 2001, 10:19 AM
I think PSO and sleep are mutually exclusive goals. I mean hey: Before I go to sleep, I need to get one more level... ok maybe two more.... I mean three.. you get the idea. Anyway, 5 hours is a little to short I think so I force myself to bed at like 11 or midnight and the get up at 7. That's about the minumum for healthy sleep I belive. (don't ask me why I have so many German's guild cards I swear that I wasn't playing at 4 in the morning)

KarnaJ
Feb 19, 2001, 10:43 AM
I play about 5-10 hours a day, depending on what kinda mood I'm in, and usually get about 7 hours of sleep a night.

Jihatsu
Feb 19, 2001, 10:58 AM
My body has learned to live on 5 hours of sleep. Like today. I went to bed at 3 and just got up at 8. 5 hrs. Chances are, I might take a nap or pass out or wake up somewhere not remembering something I did for the past 15 minutes.

Oh yes, living on 5 hrs of sleep is wonderful.

Ambrai
Feb 19, 2001, 11:54 AM
Offically your body needs 6 hours of sleep for it to regenerate. If you dont get 6 hours you will be very tired and very open to stress and other RL problems

Josh
Feb 19, 2001, 12:36 PM
I get 7 hours of sleep. Last night I went to bed at 2 am (PSO-ing) and I woke up at EXACTLY 9 am... My body is very used to 7 hours.

PSO_Krunk
Feb 20, 2001, 04:41 AM
I once stayed up 4 days straight finishing multiple projects for design school. By the end of the 4th day, I was literally hallucinating. Wake-dreaming. It was a complete and total alteration of my reality. It was very, very unsettling.

I vaguely remember pulling up to the airport, to head home for spring break. The next thing I knew, I was in New York. It felt like the blink of an eye. That was even more unsettling.

segagameplay
Feb 20, 2001, 05:41 AM
sleep... whats sleep?

Arcadean
Feb 20, 2001, 06:54 AM
This actually can't work. If you do that, make sure you sleep about 16-18 hours on weekends. I DO NOT RECOMMEND IT TO ANYONE, IT IS VERY UNHEALTHY.

SuperSubZero
Feb 20, 2001, 09:06 AM
Lack of good sleep is not good for you physically or mentally. "Getting used to it" means your body takes drastic measures to compensate, and you may lose muscle mass, gain fat, and have a (negative) personality change. Nevermind it's not good for your eyes either.

I work nights, and it is always difficult to get decent sleep during the day. PSO just compunds the problem. I'll usually play 2-3 hours a day during the week, and on the weekends I've done some 10-12 hour sessions but only after solid sleep. I have a much better PSO experience as a result.

-SSZ