PDA

View Full Version : Leaving FFXI....coming back to PSO :)

jazzerb25
Nov 10, 2003, 07:10 PM
Yup...i spent about 60 bucks on FFXI...and the game is so fricken boring I can't stand it anymore. All you do is run around and kill things, and dieing happens like 100x a day. Also...if you plan on using magic prepare for a long wait to get actually good.

Gah, the game is alright...but PSO is my home, and I have come back home. But I am use to playing ffxi on a high speed dsl lol

ThaRealest
Nov 10, 2003, 07:23 PM
whats the purpose of this topic? Cmon now....you know no one cars where you are...i know i dont..does any one else?.......oops..looks like no one...so go ahead back to ff and be bored ...thats what you deserve for posting such a pointless / boring topic...thank you ..have a nice day..

ThaRealest
Nov 10, 2003, 07:24 PM
haha just kiddin man ....

LordMe
Nov 10, 2003, 07:26 PM
man that sound's like a bad game...

jazzerb25
Nov 10, 2003, 09:05 PM
::cries::

Just wanted others thinking of leaving PSO to go to FFXI to reconsider. Its fun for the first week...but then you get to a point where the monsters that give you the exp you need are WAY to hard and you will die without grouping and no one ever wants to group, or you could fight monsters that give like 15 exp per kill when you need about 3,000 til the next lvl lol.

LordMe
Nov 10, 2003, 09:08 PM
man i'm not getting that game i like PSO the most

jazzerb25
Nov 10, 2003, 09:11 PM
i dont mean to like totally bash the game 100% because im sure there are many people who like it...its just my opinion that PSO is wayyyy better.

LordMe
Nov 10, 2003, 09:19 PM
yeah it never really look all that good

AxemPunanny
Nov 10, 2003, 11:03 PM
I think what most people like about the mmorpgs is that you get to literally play with thousands of ppl at the same time, unlike pso where it's just 4 per game. Personally, I luv PSO, and I plan on playing FFXI at the same time. I would love to see PSO be more mmorpg, or at least have more players in each game, with larger field of play. What I look forward to in FFXI is the job system, I loved that in FFTactics (PS & GBA). But I also understand how drawn out (or to some dragged out) a mmorpg is. You must play it alot to keep up with the leveling. With PSO, you really don't have to. But I don't like comparing PSO with mmorpgs, cuz it's not an mmorpg.

lain2k3
Nov 10, 2003, 11:13 PM
On 2003-11-10 16:10, jazzerb25 wrote:
Yup...i spent about 60 bucks on FFXI...and the game is so fricken boring I can't stand it anymore. All you do is run around and kill things, and dieing happens like 100x a day. Also...if you plan on using magic prepare for a long wait to get actually good.

Gah, the game is alright...but PSO is my home, and I have come back home. But I am use to playing ffxi on a high speed dsl lol

with the exception of team sizes, this sounds just about the same as PSO.

I wish I knew what drugs they hid in the game box that makes it so addicting.

Lord_Sloth
Nov 10, 2003, 11:14 PM
I always said FFXI would'nt even compare to PSO! My uncle argued abou t all the greatness of FFXI but I had my PSO and wanted no part of FFXI!

AquaFlare7
Nov 11, 2003, 12:28 AM
I also bought the game FF online the other day. It has really nice graphics and looks great, but somewhere along the production line the gameplay fell off of the conveyer belt. Here is the time line of events up until I quit---->

after the LOOOONG setup process,

chose race
chose face design
chose dark or light hair (yeah, not as customizable as pso)
chose job
began game
ran outside castle after being lost even with map
got killed by wild rabbit
respawned in castle
left again
tried quest but an ogre type creature chased me and hit me from about a mile away with a punch
respawned in castle
left for trip number 3
willingly fought bats
had to wait for my character to 'automatically' attack them. (button attacks dont exist, they do it on their own)
missed and respawned in castle after dying
tried asking around for help, but nobody responds
went out again from castle
again died by trying to be stealthy and NOT fight the overpowering rabbits from hell
got lost and died from ogre attacking me from across the map with his arm (distance doesnt matter)
tried logging off and had to wait 30 seconds (standard "log-off" procedure)
gave up and quit without logging off by ending program

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AquaFlare7 on 2003-11-10 22:04 ]</font>

Saiffy
Nov 11, 2003, 02:39 AM
On 2003-11-10 21:28, AquaFlare7 wrote:
the overpowering rabbits from hell

why not use the Holy-Hand Grenade?

but back on topic, from what you said Aqua that game must suck, makes EQ look good http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Sparxx-3
Nov 11, 2003, 02:52 AM
games that emulate Everquest survive primarily because of its social aspect, but the dynamics of gameplay will never compare to that of PsO - after awhile, such online games suffer from repititious boredom of traditional rpg gameplay..

i pray that PsO would "never" submit to the Everquest syndrome the way ff-online has.. PsO has a signature style, the real-time element makes for a truly unique experience unlike anything i have ever played before..

RFB
Nov 11, 2003, 02:56 AM
*Sounds annoying and cheap adertisement music*
"Tired of finding always the dead bodys of the overpowered rabbits from hell? You cant take friends home because of the fear that they may find the vomit that those demoniac creatures make when they smell your children's shoes? You can put an end to all these problems with just one product:

THE LOVE RAPPY!!

It's extreme cutiness, even sick for people who only paint their house with pink, will bash those demons right away and will return you to the safety of Ragol!!

The company does not take reponsabilities on the many death you may suffer in Ragol, that's your problem"

Yeah whatever, in other news... even if I dont know you, Welcome back home and have a nice time http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

SuperDK
Nov 11, 2003, 04:53 AM
Geez, FFXI sounds a lot like EQ. And I didn't really like EQ. PSO is really something, but if you think about it, it's slightly similar to Diablo 2...slightly...BUT I LOVE PSO!!!

Although, I still would like to say that there should be combo techs in PSO, that would be cool. But then again, you can also combo PBs...

Malkavian
Nov 11, 2003, 08:13 AM
I like to see there is people that enjoys more the PSO style than Everquest, FFXI, Star Wars galaxies, etc...
Many people thinks those games are extremely better than PSO because there's a massive consisten world, and many patches, updates, jobs, etc... But is in the gameplay and design where PSO shines and beat those games.
And we shouldn't make comparisons. PSO is more near of a Streets of Rage online with customisable character and equipment than those mmorpgs. That I think they are like virtual life simulators. And like life is full of boring moments.

gallaugher
Nov 11, 2003, 11:00 AM
Welcome back to pso! Many of my pso friends have already gone over to FFXI. My main complaint with FFXI (like EQ) is the combat. Quite frankly, it's boring. If they could improve the combat system those style mmorpgs would be awesome.

It would be nice if PSO had larger levels with more players in a team. For now, I'll keep happily playing.

Buuyon
Nov 11, 2003, 11:11 AM
wtf are you people talking about? ff11 gets boring after a week? err try pso gets boring after a week...cuz after a week your prolly in ult and beat everything...oh yeah dopnt forget about dupers...pso is addicting adn the char creation for pso is much better...but then every person on pso looks the same cuz every other costume sucks...face it FFXI has more to do...and PSOs combat isnt that great...presing a 1 to 3 times hours at a time...

Kupi
Nov 11, 2003, 11:24 AM
Buuyon, if you honestly think that combat is that simple, then you haven't played through Challenge Mode. When you've got six Monomates to last you through five maps barring what you might find, you learn to find more effective ways to fight.

_Sinue_
Nov 11, 2003, 12:49 PM
I find the whole "You get to play with 1,000's of other players simutaniously" argument of why MMORPGs are better than PSO to be pretty desperate - and borderline ignorant. To anyone that's played FFXI or EQ.. name me ONE time where you did play with 1,000's of people on the screen or within your /Shout range.

It just doesn't happen. While they're MAY be 1,000 gamers on a server - they are spread out to maybe 100 or 200 an area (Generously). Unlike PSO, travel and communication isn't instantanious and without boundries. If someone is out of your /shout distance.. they may as well not even be there. Unless you have their address. Even with a address to mail them at.. once they switch servers.. you're cut off. All those 1,000's of people - they're not in contact with you, and a great deal of the time they have no way of getting in contact with you. So while a server may have 1,000 people on it.. from you're lil point of view you may only see 100 or so in any given play session.

Now comes the real kicker.. if you want to actually PLAY with any of those people, you need to form a group. Groups in MMORPGs generally consist of FOUR players. Four. FFXI only allows three players per group, but alliances help aleviate that problem. Following around someone and helping them fight without being in their group will quickly get you labeled a KSer (Kill Stealer). You won't gain any experience.. and you get no share of the loot unless you steal it away from others on the team. Needless to say, this style of gameplay is not generally welcomed.

So really - that whole idea about playing with 1,000's of other players just doesn't work like it sounds like it should. You're still stuck with a very PSO like scenario - with the only differing factor being that you're in a persistant world with OTHER teams also doing their own thing at the same time in the same area. More often than not, this causes problems. KSers, Campers, CSers, Trainers, Spammers.. hell, it's not like playing a different game has made any of these people any better gamers. You still have the annoying turds that PSO has.. except now you really can't get away from them.

There is one instance where you DO play with 100's of other people at the same time. The Raids of EverQuest (and I'm sure soon to be FFXI) are increadibly fun. Players will amass a small army of other players to attack a singluar goal which is extreamly difficult for a normal party of 4. Sometimes they attack towns of differing alignments - sometimes legendary monsters.

What sucks about raids though.. is that unless you have a VERY good connection (DSL or better) you're not going to have a very good time. The game engine itself will bog down trying to display all of those players at once on your screen.. and your internet connection will choke and die on all the packet being sent back and forth unless you're on broadband. Since broadband isn't the standard.. a good majority of the people in your raid will be on 56k.. and probably lag out or serve as nothing more than cannon fodder to keep the BB players alive until they can reach their goal. You know how other people warp around on PSO when you lag? That happens online too.. but with monsters also. You could be long dead before you even know you got attacked.. and there's just no way to avoid it or fight back.

Honestly, comming from an EQer, the Massive playing world with 1,000's of other people isn't what it's cracked up to be.. and definately isn't as appealing in practice as it sounds from someone describing it over the internet.

Calibur
Nov 11, 2003, 02:29 PM
thats true sinue.

Calibur
Nov 11, 2003, 02:43 PM
dam I was hoping that FXI was going to be great so all the hacker could go there and let us free...

FinalHell
Nov 11, 2003, 02:55 PM
Wow... so FFXI didnt live up to wat every one thought it was supposed to be.. Thnx for telling me in advanced. PSO 4-ever i guess =)

jazzerb25
Nov 11, 2003, 04:08 PM
lol definately pso for eva!! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

LordMe
Nov 11, 2003, 05:40 PM
well i was going to get it...but it sound's sooooo bad

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LordMe on 2003-11-11 14:41 ]</font>

LamerPanda
Nov 11, 2003, 05:51 PM
I'm going to try both. n_n MMORPGs might have their downfalls, but when you've done pretty much everything in PSO numerous times, you need to switch around once in a while.

Geez, FFXI sounds a lot like EQ. And I didn't really like EQ.

Aw, I liked being a moron in EQ after I got sick of trying to play it. XD Giving food and water to the cat people, attempting to swim across the oceans with a level two character... good times! =D

Edit: Typo! My life is ruined.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LamerPanda on 2003-11-11 14:52 ]</font>

LordMe
Nov 11, 2003, 05:54 PM
ok...i think that EQ might be fun dunno really...never played it^_^

Buuyon
Nov 11, 2003, 06:01 PM
you guys make it sound bad cuz your all freaks...admit it...whjat do you do when you get home? thats right you play PSO...FFXI is atleast 400x bigger then PSO....not only that but also there dupes every wher eon PSO...and yes i have played cmode...all you say this game sucks...but really its pso that sucks...youve seen every weapon daily every thing in this game daily...face it pso sucks...its dead...

LordMe
Nov 11, 2003, 06:05 PM
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH die you fiend it is you that suck...and there will be a lot of doop's on FF11 as well...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LordMe on 2003-11-11 15:06 ]</font>

PS2_Master0
Nov 11, 2003, 06:22 PM
Man, I'm slow. I didnt even know FFXI was out yet. When i rrealized it was out, i would've gotten it immedieately, but after viewing this, i'll stick with PSO.

PSO FOREVER!

Riu_000
Nov 11, 2003, 06:35 PM
Yeah lets all stick here because is totally biased in his little review.

seriously try it before saying it's crap, just because one guy who totally sucks at the game and says it's, doesn't mean it. You might like the game while others don't.

So try it before bashing it =)

jazzerb25
Nov 11, 2003, 07:44 PM
How about you see me play before saying I suck at the game dumbass, and I didn't say I suck at the game, I hate it because it is fricken dumb. You click on an bad guy, click again...click attack...run at him and stand there. Do do dooo....yay you kill him...or awww you died and now you lost tons of fricken exp. Wow sounds like fun to me.

LordMe
Nov 11, 2003, 07:49 PM
well i'm not that big of a FF fan anyway so it does not matter

Buuyon
Nov 11, 2003, 09:10 PM
theres more then just fighting in FFXI smart one...plus what do you do on pso? just hit A...

Lord_Sloth
Nov 11, 2003, 09:55 PM
Yes but PSO is cool! FFXI is crap!

Faewyn
Nov 12, 2003, 12:18 AM
On 2003-11-11 18:10, Buuyon wrote:
theres more then just fighting in FFXI smart one...plus what do you do on pso? just hit A...

Buuyon, I've read your posts and I can see the points you are making. I can even agree with some of them. But you sound so disgusted with PSO. Why are you still posting on a pro-PSO board? I'm just curious.

_Sinue_
Nov 12, 2003, 12:51 AM
Why are you even dogging on PSO's combat, when the game you're supporting has even less to it's combat. It's frickin AUTOATTACK with a sub-menu system. So instead of "Pressing A" over and over.. you just hit Attack once and then wait to use your special abilities and spells.

PSO's combat is more than just "Pressing A", and you're sadly delusional if you think it is. I think you're just desperate to make a point. I guess if you tweak and dupe and max your character out, that's all it amounts to.. but if you play properly with a good team, it tends to be much much more. Somehow I doubt you have done Cmode - and if you did, it sounds more like you were just along for the ride while the others in the group carried the weight.

And just what all "Extra" stuff do you do in FFXI other than kill monsters? It's a EXP grind game to the core - just like DAoC or EQ. What slight mini-games there are, are just there to further your character's combat proficiencys. I've heard this same argument from the EQoA'ers.. talking about being able to make your own jewelry and go fishing - but in the end.. it's still there so you can collect pieces needed to create items to use on your character to increase your combat skills.

If you want a glimpse at what a MMORPG with non-combat related activities and mini-games consists of, then keep an eye out for TFLO. It's breaking the MMORPG mold by getting rid of the EXP grind and focusing more on character advancement in non-combat skills rather than just the normal "Kill Kill Kill Ding" of EQ and FFXI. Jobs on there are actual REAL jobs you preform in the game world - like cooking, carpentry, tailoring, blacksmithing, ect - each with their own non-combat related mini-games and quests which increase skills through practice, rather than just arbitrarily raising stats after killing "X" amount of monsters.

If you're going to brag on about a game - at least make sure the game is worthy of what you're braging on about. Face it, at it's core, FFXI is an EQ clone - and many PSO'ers are playing PSO because WE DON'T LIKE EQ AND IT'S STYLE OF GAMEPLAY. Slapping a FF title on it dosen't change that.

If you like FFXI.. fine.. go play it. Just don't expect everyone else to like or respect your opinion.

RFB
Nov 12, 2003, 02:50 AM
This's what I'll say:

1)As Riu_000 said, but I'll say it in a smoother way, dont back off just because a guy says it sucks. He might hate it, but you may love it. You just never know, so give it a try.

2)Buuyon, you think PSO sucks, but you're still in this forum... or in the darkest depths of your heart, you're friggin' adicted, or you're lying, or you're a moron that posts here just to dizz us all. If the third answer is the one that fits you, you better quit coming before the mods/admins ban your a**.

3)I agree with Sinue, every MMORPG is, in the depth, focused only on lvling (Personal experience).

Buuyon
Nov 12, 2003, 08:10 AM
yeah actuly i dont use dupes...and didnt max stats...and no actuly in cmodse i was the only one actuly doing stuff...i just cant see how you think this barly updated, cheated, and not cared about sega game is half as good as final fantasy...yes i still play this game but it gets to boring after the first year...dood pso isnt even a gig of memory...ff11 is 6...thats 6 gigs of things in that disk...wich will keep more people in the game because there is more to do...and yeah some ones gonna think they are smart and say "oh well PSOs combat is better" when in reality...that gets boring...actuly the best combat system is in this game MU...IMO...i like the click to kill thing so i dun needa keep hitting A (and other buttons) in order...

_Sinue_
Nov 12, 2003, 10:43 AM
Heh.. if you were the only one doing anything, then you never would have made it through Cmode. Regardless of the obsticals which require at least 2 players to work together (Often in different areas, but in tandem) there's no way you would have been able to make anywhere close to Srank time doing it by yourself.

I think you're exaggerating, or making up your story as you go along personally.

Malkavian
Nov 12, 2003, 02:21 PM
Well there's something that is true.
it doesn't exist a game that after years of playing it is still fun and fresh. I played PSO for over 2 years and half but I took many breaks and alternated with other games. If not I could not stand it.
No game is fun forever. And many people that says PSO suck is because they are sick of it already.And surely they enjoyed it a lot before but is like they don't remember or don't want to. And I agree is good to try other games.

Krank40oz
Nov 12, 2003, 04:55 PM
Yea Pso is prob the best rpg out there, i havent played FFXI but I have played star wars galaxies and the game was awsome till i needed 75k xp to be a novice pistoleer and prob the bets monster i could kill was only worth about 300 xp, people did group nicly but that was b/c I was in a clan and we all just played together but it was even worse then pso i played for 8 hours straight and only got about 50k. Im telling you it was terrable, I quite SWG as well, I like World of Warcraft, looks good!

LordMe
Nov 12, 2003, 05:06 PM
FFXI never looked that great...to each there own...right

Delsaber
Nov 12, 2003, 05:23 PM
On 2003-11-11 11:43, Calibur wrote:
dam I was hoping that FXI was going to be great so all the hacker could go there and let us free...

It got rid of Infamous Nugz for now. I read on some message board that he said screw PSO and went on the FFXI...

Kent
Nov 12, 2003, 08:29 PM
Odds are, the majority of people who say Final Fantasy XI is crap (which it isn't) just sat down with the game for maybe an hour or two, and most likely didn't read the manual.

You'll only die all the time if you're an idiot or in a party full of morons (or complete newbies in some cases). Really, the Check command is there for a reason, use it. The battle system may be the same old "auto-attack, hope the enemy doesn't kill you" system at first, but that's because you don't have your spells, abilities, and weaponskills yet. Once you get a few of those and join a party, it just keeps getting better and deeper, especially when you figure out renkei (skillchains) and magic bursts.

When you buy the game, you get a free month of play, you should play at least a couple weeks (and make sure you know what you're doing in the game) before you go around telling people its a piece of crap.

jazzerb25
Nov 12, 2003, 08:32 PM
I played the game for 40 hours man, I didn't play it for a few days and throw it away, and I said its my opinion...gah, and of course the check is there, but you wanna go for even matches to get the most exp...if you go for easy prey its gonna take you years, and how can you group when everyone says "Ah no thanks, im gonna solo for a bit". Its not worth the time and money. (13.00 a month for this game plus extra for every character?! Give me a break)

Buuyon
Nov 12, 2003, 08:50 PM
On 2003-11-12 17:29, Kent wrote:
Odds are, the majority of people who say Final Fantasy XI is crap (which it isn't) just sat down with the game for maybe an hour or two, and most likely didn't read the manual.

You'll only die all the time if you're an idiot or in a party full of morons (or complete newbies in some cases). Really, the Check command is there for a reason, use it. The battle system may be the same old "auto-attack, hope the enemy doesn't kill you" system at first, but that's because you don't have your spells, abilities, and weaponskills yet. Once you get a few of those and join a party, it just keeps getting better and deeper, especially when you figure out renkei (skillchains) and magic bursts.

When you buy the game, you get a free month of play, you should play at least a couple weeks (and make sure you know what you're doing in the game) before you go around telling people its a piece of crap.

thanks for helping out...
yes PSo is ok...but not great...ive taken a 5 month break and its still not to great...only people here says it sucks cuz either
A) you can afford it and mommy and daddy said no...or
B)your a follower and follow all the noobs and are to lazy to read the manul (wich i know no one does...that pisses me off real real bad when people ask me somethign in the manual)
and that 40 hours you played prolly sucks cuz you sucked at the game...(i dont know this) but every one i know with iot tells me that your first few lvls you should solo...and if you die...theres a corner...think of it this way...FFXI has updates like every day...to stop duping, this cheat, this glitch...when pso has a new game with these glitches gone...a year later...only in japan...id rather havta wait 4 hours for patches to DL then play a game with glitched out the ass! and face it no matter what you say FFXI still has more to do...no thats not MO its a fact...so far like 4 poeple said thats MO when its really not...

jazzerb25
Nov 12, 2003, 08:55 PM
Ok im done arguing, but i have to say this last thing. I read the damn manual while waiting 3 hours for the first patch to download...what else was I gonna do, and don't go making assumptions about me when you dont know anything about me. First of all I live by myself, and have my own credit card which is paying for PSO bright ass. Secondly, I already said I what level I was when I ended the game, and anyone who played FFXI will tell you when you get to lvl 10 if you wanna go far you need to be in a party because the baddies are just too hard by yourself...and if you dont agree go to La Theine as a lvl 10 solo and see how far you get, you will be down to lvl 9 within an hour. I'm not telling people DONT PLAY THIS GAME, i said its my opinion that PSO is better. Now go have fun clicking on things and telling yourself to auto attack...why not go grab a snack in the "heat of the battle"? lol

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jazzerb25 on 2003-11-12 17:57 ]</font>

LordMe
Nov 12, 2003, 08:56 PM
i'm just not a FF fan that's all tht it is

Buuyon
Nov 12, 2003, 09:34 PM
thats nice...

FinalHell
Nov 12, 2003, 10:35 PM
Never played EQ, and i probably never will. Reasons why, well because there was a rumor some1 killed themselves because their character died in the game.. If FF is or was anything addicting or sumthing crazy like that.. i would never look at FF ever again.

jazzerb25
Nov 12, 2003, 10:37 PM
that is true...a mentally handicapped person killed themselves because someone scammed him out of an item...the parents sued the company for making such an addicting game without warning or something...not sure what happened.

AngelAlys
Nov 13, 2003, 03:44 AM
I personally would love to play FFXI. However I live in the UK and it isnt due over here until winter 2004.......... 2004!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's 3 years after it was released in Japan!!!!! That's the only frustrating thing for me! When we get it in teh UK the servers will probably be empty http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

I love PSO to bits and that will never change, but sometimes you just gotta try something different!

RFB
Nov 13, 2003, 03:54 AM
On 2003-11-12 19:37, jazzerb25 wrote:
that is true...a mentally handicapped person killed themselves because someone scammed him out of an item...the parents sued the company for making such an addicting game without warning or something...not sure what happened.

That actually is not a problem of the company, but a problem of whether the kid that was already mad before playing the game, or the parents, that were not able to teach their son/daughter the difference between fantasy and reality.

Having to advise that the game was addicting? Sweet merciful christ on a pogostick, videogames are meant to be addictive, they can only survive due to their addictvity.

opaopajr
Nov 13, 2003, 07:08 AM
the guy was over 20... hardly a child. just unhinged.

i myself have played EQ up to lvl 5 and couldn't do what i really wanted: be a master beggar. i kept getting killed by angry guards. i was forced to lvl. so i realized it's a EXP grind game, no biggie. but exp grind games need a fun combat system to keep my interest. EQ definitely did not have that.

then i tried DAoC. you can have more people in the party. you can become a master craftsman. you can pull more specials in the middle of combat. but still i found the crafting going back to quests to kill monsters and thus leveling. and combat, though far better than EQ in my opinion, still wasn't as dynamic as what i was looking for. so i decided to let that character die too. i've watched my friend pull some amazing looking raids, but i couldn't find myself playing like that.

i guess at heart i'm not a MMORPGer as i am an online action RPGer. it holds my interest more.

that said, i'd still like to see FFXI. i don't have much expectations of it because i'm not too keen on MMORPGs, but i'm still curious. I am somewhat disappointed to see people already disenchanted with it... what could it mean about the game?

Buuyon
Nov 13, 2003, 08:12 AM
On 2003-11-12 19:35, FinalHell wrote:
Never played EQ, and i probably never will. Reasons why, well because there was a rumor some1 killed themselves because their character died in the game.. If FF is or was anything addicting or sumthing crazy like that.. i would never look at FF ever again.

yeah thats not the games fault...just a retard killing him self over a game...
if you want FFXI so bad you should ship it from the US...dont wait lol...
sometimes people make points on why PSO is better...some of them are good ones like you not liking MMORPGs...but others saying you need to lvl in FFXI thats not true. you need to lvl in PSO, its all you do, nothing else...FFXI has alot to do like...killing, cooking, making weapons, making furniture, garding, and prolly more...PSO you just lvl...or get sranks...fun for a lil...but then gets to boring...IMO MMORPGs are my fav games...most the time they are more realistic games...and some one said real life sucks blah blah blah...its not real life. how many times can you go out of your town and take out a sword and hit a bird person? how many times can you live in the past (i know that wasnt proper grammer)? anyone that says its real life needs to go out side and realise real life isnt a game...

Omni-SqwirL
Nov 13, 2003, 02:15 PM
I have only watched my friend play FFXI and I like it. It doesn't seem boring to me though. It has a lot more strategy than I thought, but spending that much money on it cuold almost be out of the question if Christmas wasn't right around the corner. I'm still getting this game despite what people say, I like it, so I'm getting it. Sure, it won't be near as good as PSO, but if it lasts me over a month, that's well worth it I hope.

jazzerb25
Nov 13, 2003, 02:26 PM
"just a retard killing himself over a game"

you are so f*cking immature it makes me barf. How about you f*cking grow up before you realize what you are typing is seen all over the world.

Buuyon
Nov 13, 2003, 08:32 PM
um you wanna spaz down...they make pills for people like you...oh that offend you to? oh well poor you...do you think i care what you say? no i dont...to me all you are is text...every one here is just text to me...so you can ya know take FFXI and shove it up ya ass...

Calibur
Nov 13, 2003, 08:54 PM
buuyon if you are a fan of FXI and want to talk about FXI why dont you go to a FXI board and leave the pso people alone you are talking bad about pso in a pso board, if you want to talk bad about pso dont do it on a pso board. the people here come to talk about pso no FXI so just go to a FXI and you will have no problem whit the people there...

Buuyon
Nov 13, 2003, 09:03 PM
im only talking bad in this thread...i still play pso but not that much..

KaFKa
Nov 13, 2003, 09:22 PM
i just played ffXI on a friend's computer (a webmaster-guy so all he has to do is sit in fron t of his computer) and it was fun... for about an hour, then the auto-battle system got on my neves, along with the EQ-style exp grind. kneeling down was the only way that i could heal, and the fact that its supposedly a FF game, this has NO storyline comapred to even the all-time flop of FF8. after i got to level 12, i stopped and killed the character. too boring for a game that's supposed to be the "next online megahit" (not sure where i heard that, game magazine probably) and on a side note, buyyon, u need to stop bashing people, if all we are is text, why don't you just leave the computer-encrypted words and go do something else... like play the letdown of the year game FFXI

jazzerb25
Nov 13, 2003, 09:43 PM
glad to hear people agreeing with me http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

SuperDK
Nov 14, 2003, 01:01 AM
Well, people (sometimes, but pretty rarely) die because they play games, but I mean, if you leave your child in a car and forget that you had a kid because of EQ (or an MMORPG for that matter), you know it's not a good thing.

Anyway, Everybody has their preferences, so if you like MMORPGs, go ahead and like them. I don't like them, but that's just me. I don't think FFXI should even have the FF name, but that's Square for you, milking the FF name until it dies.

trypticon
Nov 14, 2003, 01:33 AM
I am very excited about what FFXI may have to offer in later levels. From what I've heard from just about everyone I know who has the game already, the lower levels are a bore to play through. They told me that the team element in the game doesn't pick up until after level ten.

What I read on this thread though, about there only being three people at a time in a little team of people, kind of disillusions my expectations. I had originaly heard that you could have up to eighteen people in a group. Now it just seems that is possible through a small team, and then some alliances. It still could be a lot of fun though. Being able to run all around and come into contact with other players is a change enough from PSO to make me interested. PSO is a great game, but from the day I started playing it, I was wishing that there could have been more people either in a group, or just running around on the surface of Ragol that you could correspond with.

Anyway, even though almost every review I've read for FFXI has been scathing, I'm still interested in trying it for the thirty day trial period. I can't wait to pick it up and get back with some of my pals who left PSO.

AquaFlare7
Nov 14, 2003, 01:39 AM
we are indeed all nothing more than text, as far as what cana be seen by the naked eye. It is behind the text that lies the real person.

On a side note, I just cancelled my content ID and busted out with my HUmar for some great gaming times, as PSO to me is the revolution of online gaming and no matter how archaic it becomes, it is always where my heart in games truely belongs.

Buuyon
Nov 14, 2003, 08:08 AM
On 2003-11-13 18:22, KaFKa wrote:
i just played ffXI on a friend's computer (a webmaster-guy so all he has to do is sit in fron t of his computer) and it was fun... for about an hour, then the auto-battle system got on my neves, along with the EQ-style exp grind. kneeling down was the only way that i could heal, and the fact that its supposedly a FF game, this has NO storyline comapred to even the all-time flop of FF8. after i got to level 12, i stopped and killed the character. too boring for a game that's supposed to be the "next online megahit" (not sure where i heard that, game magazine probably) and on a side note, buyyon, u need to stop bashing people, if all we are is text, why don't you just leave the computer-encrypted words and go do something else... like play the letdown of the year game FFXI

maybe you should try the quests...thats the where the story line is....

Naagata_Clan
Nov 14, 2003, 02:55 PM
*Hops onto PSO online and looks around*
A grand total of 224 people online on all the US servers... that's kinda... sad...

Well I've personally played FFXI, and like most MMORPG, it's a whole "patience pays off" kind of thing. I've played with one of my friends Black Mage characters, and he's had the game since it came out in Japan. It's farily simple... just select Big boom spell and watch everything turn to dust...

Then I tried making my own character... and I wasn't doing so hot. Thank god for the nice friendly japanese people to come lend me a hand. To put it in short, its like the game REQUIRES a team... and I think that is going to kill the game on the US servers, because I've noticed US online players look after themselves first... (no bashing, I'm a US online player, ha ha ha) but natrually there are some exceptions. I've learned that the game more or less requires team play, and if you don't have that, your just going to see piles of dead people that would have survived had they teamed up.

PSO is good for you loner style players (I am one myself). But you can also work as a nice team and everything just goes by without a hitch. It's really what your into really. I'll probably end up getting FFXI somewhere down the road...

Oh and as far as comparing it to EQ... I wouldn't tread there. I walked away from FFXI thinking it was fun, where as I walked away from EQ thinking I wasted an entire summer.

As far as PSO vs. FFXI goes... it looks like FFXI is winning for now... as it seems the PSO servers are becoming barren wastelands... but maybe when they all tried FFXI, and they figure out its not there thing, all of the PSO players will come running back... hee hee... or so I hope...

Kent
Nov 16, 2003, 09:23 AM
As far as PSO vs. FFXI goes... it's just stupid to compare two games of different genres.

Kuai
Nov 16, 2003, 12:26 PM
FFXI starts to get more fun once you hit lvl 15. When you have to group and combine skillchains and kill monsters that would normally wipe you out. FFXI has much more content and quests than PSO its not even funny. with over 4,000 people on during primetime (at least for americans) its not hard to find a group to fight with. The japanese people are friendly and will heal you if they pass you by and sometimes even get off their chocobo to ressurect you.

Some people are saying that the combat system blows but it is very in depth with the renkei+skillchain system which needs very precise coordination like high end EQ raids.

The two games are totally different its not fair to compare them to each other. While FFXI appeals to a more older crowd of gamers who play games like EQ FFXI ect. Then PSO like D2 appeals to the younger crowd who needs action in order to not be bored. To each his own but FFXI is definately the more fleshed out game.

MonoxideChild
Nov 16, 2003, 05:26 PM
I'm bored as hell with FFXI too. I played the Beta, made it to Paladin and I just don't want to play anymore...

FObilix
Nov 16, 2003, 06:57 PM
I've played a few MMORPGs and they just really get boring. The whole problem with MMORPGs are the "spawn spots." And by these, all you do is stay in this one area and attack whatever just spawns out of the blue. I like PSO because there is movement. You kill the enemies and move on. You don't stand around outside central dome and kill Boomas for 2 hours straight.

If they have an MMORPG that required you to move around a lot instead of staying in certain areas, I might get it, but the ones I've played have all been the same.

FeVer
Nov 17, 2003, 05:07 PM
Like kent said... you can't compair the two, because their not the same in any way. it all depends on what kind of game you like, if you like mmorpgs then you'll probibly like FFXI, but I just don't see how you could compair pso, and FFXI to eachother, there nothing alike! Thats like putting a football player against a baseball player, and expecting the baseball player to run a play, and make a touchdown. your all basically trying to make the game look bad, so you can all feel better about yourselves, knowing that your pure PSO gamers. Well then, go crawl off to PSO, and stop compairing the games allready. I'm not makeing fun of PSO, i love it, but i don't like it when people try to compair two equilly great games, from completly different genres. Onlytime PSO ever got close to being a mmorpg was in the lobbys, otherwise its just four people. now i'ma finish raising my money to buy FFXI, and point and laught at you all when your still compairing these two games in about two weeks.

FinalHell
Nov 18, 2003, 01:28 AM
I was really hoping that FFXI wasnt going to be such a dump..Maybe its cuz ive been mostly seeing the negative side of FFXI in this thread... any 1 know how many ppl play at once on a I weekly day? bet u anything that its better than the population in PSOX =/

Buuyon
Nov 18, 2003, 08:17 AM
yeah more people play FFXI during its prime hours...and you cant exsactly AFK fight in this game...so ther eis action if ou know what your doing...most of you say on PSO your legit cuz you like a chalange...ok then this game is ONLY legit and is quite a chalange...but most of you are turning away cuz every one is making it sound horiable...when its not...PSO finnaly got rid of something they had for a year that was cuasing corruption...but not stoping duping...ST should have relised what they where doing with the second save before they did it...what i like about FFXI is they will see when they added somethign harmful to your computer/game and remove it...pso stands there saying "oh no its fixed dont worry!" then 40 people go and corrupt....

SuperDK
Nov 20, 2003, 07:57 PM
This thread should be closed.

There are fans of both games, if you like one, then by all means go play it and shut the hell up. Right, both games are different, PSO=ORPG, FFXI=MMORPG. Sega could definately make an MMORPG, but they just haven't decided on making one, which, IMO, is a good thing.

If you like a "Deeper" character customization and a lot of other "free-roam/create/whatever" stuff, then go and get a MMORPG, since most of that stuff is not available in an ORPG, Like PSO.

PSO is a pick up and play type game, while MMORPGs are Sit down, spend a lifetime playing and learning about the world of Vana'diel (or whatever, I don't remember) or whatever game you're playing.

I admit, MMORPG's don't appeal to me, but that's me. If you like them, go ahead and like them. I could care less.