PDA

View Full Version : The Japanese "Pile"

AUTO_
Nov 11, 2003, 02:57 AM
If you've ever levelled with Japanese, you know that they drop random items (usually rares) just outside the check room.

Does anyone know why they do this?

I used to think they were just discarding un-needed items...but they drop things that I just can't understand.

Like grinders.

And Photon Drops.

Is this like a game in Japan? Is picking up one of the items supposed to show a weakness or something?

There has to be some explanation...I can't understand why someone would drop a random digrinder in front of the check room.

heyf00L
Nov 11, 2003, 03:07 AM
They drop all the rares they find in a run and then divide them up to who needs them the most. If 2 people want 1 item I think they do paper-rock-scissors or something.

I know greedy Americans won't be able to grasp this right away. Heck, during Holloween I went to the PSOW block to hunt cakes and in both games I joined at least 1 character would take the cakes and say something like "sucker" and leave without dropping theirs. WTF? Yeah, I'm never going back to the PSOW block. That's just pathetic.

rena-ko
Nov 11, 2003, 09:19 AM
simply gotta love the japanese way to play PSO.

for those cakesnatchers... well, there's not even a sense since as we all know you need 8 different ones... having 4 of your own over and over again just piles them up, heh... how poor...

Sparxx-3
Nov 11, 2003, 10:21 AM
~playing PsO with the Japanese is a beautiful experience; from observation, they have a closer sense of what it means to play together as a collective unit ~ including foreigners...& yes, at the end of their runs ~ they tend to share their finds with players that need them most, often sharing without asking for anything in return.. of course, this is not to say that JP players are the only ones that do this ~ American & EU players have code as well; the only difference is that there is a lower percentage of non-JP players that care to play as a team & not be ruled by self interests..

HUnewearl_Meira
Nov 11, 2003, 11:54 AM
On 2003-11-11 00:07, heyf00L wrote:
They drop all the rares they find in a run and then divide them up to who needs them the most. If 2 people want 1 item I think they do paper-rock-scissors or something.

You know... That is one heck of a good idea. I think I'm going to start doing that.

navci
Nov 11, 2003, 03:15 PM
Hehe. That is what we usually do when playing with friends. =D

I recently met two Japanese players and we had so much fun playing. =} Well one of the fun being that I am the only person who understand what both parties are saying and try to make everyone feel comfortable. Hehe. =} They are friendly and nice, and work with teams and plays well! =D

OriginalLacan
Nov 11, 2003, 03:59 PM
I've tried getting other teammates to drop all their stuff together at the end of a run,so we can all divide the stuff up, but the usual response is "hahahaha. yeah right buddy.." or "that sounds like a great idea! <disconnects>"

oh, how I wish for linked Xbox servers...

rena-ko
Nov 11, 2003, 04:13 PM
hahahah, i only do that with friends. and i hardly play with strangers... so ... figure.

ThaRealest
Nov 11, 2003, 05:04 PM
i never give anything away goddamnit i didnt waste 200hrs of my life to benefit you guys ...get your own damn stuff and if ya need sumthing i got ...im sure we can make a deal...oh thanks for the tips ...im gonna debo all the goods after i play on the japanese server...w00t w00t ...

Rapture
Nov 11, 2003, 05:35 PM
Agrees with both arguments, when i play i pick up a red box if i see one ust incase it might be really good rare or maybe a mediocre but still rarish rare (hope you understand that). If i do find somthing that i don't want then i will give it to people especially low leveled players, i also give out grinders and mats aswell. Have over 60 grinders in total, want any mats just tell me there all legit and there all i find lol

Rapture
Nov 11, 2003, 05:37 PM
Crap use of English above, sorry http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

LamerPanda
Nov 11, 2003, 06:01 PM
On 2003-11-11 14:04, ThaRealest wrote:
i never give anything away goddamnit

"Look at my AWESOME PILE OF VARISTAS!"

I give away almost everything, unless it's something I was actively looking for (usually stuff no one else wants, so it works out).

Heck, during Holloween I went to the PSOW block to hunt cakes and in both games I joined at least 1 character would take the cakes and say something like "sucker" and leave without dropping theirs.

That's sad. O_o;

I got 3 lanterns from doing the cake quest on the PSOW block. It briefly restored my faith in playing with strangers, and then I tried a few games after that and remembered why I usually only play with close friends. x_x

AUTO_
Nov 11, 2003, 08:10 PM

...How exactly do they do that?

And you said they split them up after a game...but it's not uncommon to see them just leave the game entirely (after falz has died, etc).

LordMe
Nov 11, 2003, 08:13 PM
On 2003-11-11 14:04, ThaRealest wrote:
i never give anything away goddamnit i didnt waste 200hrs of my life to benefit you guys ...get your own damn stuff and if ya need sumthing i got ...im sure we can make a deal...oh thanks for the tips ...im gonna debo all the goods after i play on the japanese server...w00t w00t ...

ROFL...that was funny...and i don't have online so i would not know

hucasts_rock
Nov 11, 2003, 09:18 PM
On 2003-11-11 17:10, AUTO_ wrote:

Well, the game is called Janken and you put the wanted item in the center of the two people

next, you put down meseta consisting of 1, 2, and 3..
I forgot what beats what but I think: 1 > 2 > 3

and of course, the winner gets the item..I did this once for a monkey king bar that was found and I lost it http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif but I'm glad that he got it because I would have later on corrupted and lost it anyways http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Coxy
Nov 11, 2003, 09:34 PM
On 2003-11-11 14:37, Rapture wrote:
Crap use of English above, sorry http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

That is what an edit button is for

FeVer
Nov 11, 2003, 09:38 PM

And you said they split them up after a game...but it's not uncommon to see them just leave the game entirely (after falz has died, etc).

They do this by creating specially made symbol chat icons, that would be why they have the peace sign, flat hand, and fist... being those are rock... paper, and scizzors... I often give lowlvls anything that i don't need that i find, i.e. good barriers, frames, spells, grinders, photon drops, mats... etc... I'm going to go and play with JP now... because they are more considerate about their items, and i'm sure all of us americans could take a leaf out of their book... I believe that they have a better style of playing. I also believe its not uncommon for american players to steal items that are dropped... showing greedyness mostly...and that is the only bad part of the game... otherwise the game is just peachy for me... no complaints here... I've got duper friends, and legit frineds... but I play with both of them just the same.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: FeVer on 2003-11-11 18:41 ]</font>

Coxy
Nov 11, 2003, 09:45 PM
Keep your items, sell them on Ebay, some idiot will buy them http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

ThaRealest
Nov 11, 2003, 10:10 PM
haha ...i just read what i wrote...that was pretty funny eh...

FeVer
Nov 11, 2003, 10:16 PM
Umm... did you know ytou could sell your soul on ebay? but umm... i give them away... others need them... i don't

ThaRealest
Nov 11, 2003, 10:51 PM
i have a soul eater +9 for that

Deus-Irae
Nov 12, 2003, 05:26 AM
On 2003-11-11 19:10, ThaRealest wrote:
haha ...i just read what i wrote...that was pretty funny eh...

yeah! you're a laugh riot! and real as all hell too.

Eum
Nov 12, 2003, 08:35 AM
I think the idea behind it is nice, but I don't think it's always practical. Considering I play with two people consistently, both of whom are conveniently different classes, there really is no point to dropping the items in the shop because the three of us are aware before we enter an area as to who gets what.

If an item drops that the three of us can't use/don't care for, we tend to distribute it between our different characters. There is never any argument regarding who gets to provide for their alternates, but then again, most of those items tend to be very common. As for items that any class can use, it's a mix. Grinders aren't really discussed, and who needs a Photon Drop the most is for the most part mutually understood. That tends to be the benefit when you play with close friends; things tend to be more relaxed and smooth. Dropping rares with complete strangers [regardless of the language they speak] can be an uncomfortable and sometimes unrewarding experience.

I'm not willing to share in that manner with many of the people I do come across. While one person can change the world, I don't feel that's the case with PSO. Setting good examples for people so blind is a lost cause, and that's just how I feel.

PaleKid15
Nov 12, 2003, 12:21 PM
I think that the team leader should have first pick of the rares. (the person who's section ID is being used) I've been in multi with my redria Fonewearl under her ID and missed out on a God/Mind and a Sacred Cloth because the other people took it.(note: at the time, none of us had a rare armor and it was a god/mind from a gulgus gue so I probably wouldn't see it again)
Neither one of them would have dropped if we didn't play under my ID. After a while they both gave me stuff that more than made up for it, so thins worked out ok. But thats because we're friends. Online playing with strangers however, if you don't share before leaving, than its unlikely that you'll get anything.
And to all of you who are going to play with those who divi up the rares just so you can rip them off and take everything, go to hell.

Auracom
Nov 12, 2003, 01:14 PM
Well if you don't want to share stuff you find with your friends then don't come online... that simple. Well as for the JP don't bother them and steal everything for yourself, you give the rest of us a bad name.

heyf00L
Nov 12, 2003, 02:02 PM
I think sharing rares after every game is a little excessive. 99% of the time all you find is crap.

What I (and my close friends) do is just when you find something that you know someone else needs/wants just give it to them.

This works out rather well for me since I usually never find anything good. I've taken in a lot more than I've given out, but there have been a few good rares that I've given away. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Since syncesta is the last thing I want in this game and I have an Oran and pipe occasionally, all I do now is hunt stuff for other people. I actually enjoy it a lot more than when I hunted stuff for myself. If it doesn't drop then I don't get depressed because it wasn't for me anyway. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Arinoma
Nov 12, 2003, 11:04 PM
Yeah, i gave away 2 MKBs, (shows you how selfish I am...), well anyways, Janken works like the above mentioned way, 3 beats 2, 2 beats 1, and 1 beats 3.
1<2<3<1.

Rapture
Nov 13, 2003, 01:07 PM
Sorry Coxy forgot about the edit button, ill remember the next time man.

Shimarisu
Nov 13, 2003, 01:40 PM
A warning - I experienced FSODs on entering game (2 of which caused corruption) since playing on JP ships in the past month (I gave up on US ships because IMO, not only is the game dying in the US, but the players are much younger generally - did you know most JP gamers on PSO are over 20?)

But yeah, JP games=corruption. I never got FSOD on entering game BEFORE I migrated totally to Japanese ships. That's a total of zero FSODs on entering game in 6 months, then 4 in 1 month on Japanese ships. My friend also corrupted on a Japanese ship. If you don't care then go ahead. If your char is under say, level 100 and you backed your stuff up (legits on JP ships, we HAVE to do this otherwise it's just suicide), go ahead. I don't know if I care about corruption now, because I just restored my USB chars and got back online again. As long as I can restore and face FSOD on entering game, plus corruption of items every so often (like twice a week), I guess I'm back. There's just nothing left for me to do until I pull my life together. If I don't do something it'll kill me.

- Shimarisu

rena-ko
Nov 13, 2003, 01:56 PM
ouch... mh, bad luck shiramisu... i really would like to know what triggers fsodx... a friend of mine got the memcard killed as well recently. again.

i like to play 'odd or even', i drop a bunch of meseta a bit away and keep distance from it, the other say's if its odd or even - its like flipping a coin...