PDA

View Full Version : Hi everyone help me please.

Over
Nov 11, 2003, 09:11 AM
I live in PAL places and i ahve a GC, a copy of PSO and a network card with an RJ45 crossover cable attatched to it. I use NTL broadband. My network card wont recieve packets... so i cant play PSO online :'( can you lot help me. ALso, i have setup my network card which is a Netgear FA311/FA312 PCI adapter as a gateway.

gallaugher
Nov 11, 2003, 12:57 PM
You'll need to provide a lot more information. If your computer will be providing internet access to your game cube there are a few rules of thumb:
Internet - PC - game cube
You can have a dial up connection or a high speed connection. Either way you'll need to enable Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing.

Rich_T
Nov 11, 2003, 01:44 PM
by network card, do you mean internal network card?

there are step by step instructions, and help on internet conection sharing on this very forum, if you do a search on internet conection sharing, and ICS you may find some help
As a rough guide the set up is as folows:

Gamecube with BBA, BBA conected to P.C network card (usualy internal) with a crosver cable.

P.C has windows 98se and above ( idealy win XP)and internet conection sharing enanbled

Gamecube has everything set to automatic

Switch on P.C, Switch on gamecube, P.C will say "local area conection conected" get P.C online, go online on gamecube.

there is also help on the X box website, Here (http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/live/start/connect/) even though you are tryng to get your gamecube online, and not an X box, the set up is identicle, just ignore any X box specific stuff.

Over
Nov 13, 2003, 04:24 AM
thanks... are you saying i have to have an internet explorer open in order to use the internet on my GC?

Over
Nov 13, 2003, 04:35 AM
soz but it still doesnt work : here is the exact error:
Could not connect to the network.
Failed to create an ip adress from DHCP.
DHCP server may not exist or may be down.

Milky
Nov 13, 2003, 07:17 PM
I couldnt get my GC to talk to my PC with the DHCP thing either, so I poked around a lot and got to the point where at least the connection is sending and recieveing packets. Something istn right yet though, cant get the cube online yet, working on it.
Anyway, here's(kinda) what I did to get that far.

1. Have everything turned on, plugged in, pso in the cube, booted up, everything connected.
2.On the computer, go to start->run and in the little box type "cmd", without the ". hit enter, which oughta bring up the dos prompt thing.
3.Still on the computer, open the control pannel->network and dial up connections and there's probably a couple of things in there, one is your internet connection, the other is(hopefully) something like "local area connection". If you right click it, and go to properties, it'll bring up a grey box, somewhere there's a little box wanting to be ticked with "show icon in taskbar when connected" or something next to it. tick that, click ok. Again, hopefully now there's a little picture in the taskbar of two screens. Double click that and arrange the window so that you can see the packets sent/recieved part AND the dos prompt that you opened earlier at the same time.
4. 3 was really long, hope it made sense.
5. type "ipconfig /all" in the dos prompt, hit enter
6. this'll spew out a whole bunch of info. some of it's about your modem and stuff, which you can pretty much ignore for now. What you want is the ip address of your network card, which you'll probably be able to spot quite easily. This is what you want to enter into the gamecube now.
7.So pick up your gc controller, get into the network setup bit, select something like "Specify an IP address" cant remember exactly what it says now, but it's the one that's not DHCP or PPOE, near the top of the screen. hit next
8. Skip down to the box that says "Default router", and enter the ip of your network card that you just got.
9. This bit I'm not sure if you have to do, but I have, so here goes. If you look back at the dos prompt, somewhere it should say "dns servers" and have two rows of numbers(well, it does on mine). enter these in the primary and secondary dns server boxes on the cube.
10. Back to the computer, in the dos prompt type "route print". This'll spew out a whole load of new info. Should be a box with mostly numbers in, in four columns, with "network destination" "netmask" "gateway" and "interface" at the top.
11. Now this bit sucks. Work down the list on the far left, the "network destination" one. type "ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" where the "XX" are a bunch of numbers in that column. Keep an eye on that network status window we opened earlier, so you can see when there's some packets moving around. hopefully, when you ping the right number, instead of saying something along the lines of "Sent 124 recieved 0" in there, it'll say "sent 128 recieved 4"
12. Now you know the IP of your gamecube! Hopefully. Put that number in the box for it on the gc screen, and somewhere next to where you got that number from, it'll tell you what to pu in the "subnet mask" box too. It's the number that probably involves 255 at the start and is in the "netmask" column.
13. Hit next on the gc untill you can save, do so, and try to do the "homepage" thing again, hopefully you'll see those numbers in the sent/recieved window changing some more.

So, hopefully now your cube and computer are talking, not sure what's next. With a bit of luck you'll be online. Make sure you've enabled internet connection sharing for your internet connection. right click the thing in "network and dial up connections", go to the sharing tab, tick the little box. if it still doesnt work, congratulations, you're in the same place as me, but there's some talking going on at least. I'm working on the rest, but my cube is at a friends house, teaching him about the wonders of super monkey ball.

Hope that all made sense, some of the exact wording might be off, the cube stuff is from memory, but it's something like that anyway.

And if anyone has any ideas of what I'm doing wrong, let me know.

Over
Nov 14, 2003, 04:01 AM
Whoa! Thank you http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif ill test it....
Tested... bad news it says 'Request Timed Out' about 4 times then:
Packets: Sent: 4 Recieved:0 Lost:4

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Over on 2003-11-14 03:23 ]</font>

Over
Nov 14, 2003, 04:29 AM
umm... HELP again i dont get part 11

Milky
Nov 14, 2003, 10:25 AM
Arg. I got that a bunch of times too.
Have you tried pinging every number in the "network destination" column. On my system, the ip of the cube was the one underneath the ip for the network card.

I might have forgotten something ealier too, if you go back into the properties thing for local area connection, there should be a little white bit in the middle with things like "client for microsoft networks", "file and printer sharing for microsoft networks" and stuff. One should be "Internet Protocol(TCP/IP)". If not, click the add button and add that one. Then click on it once, then on the properties button. Set it to obtain an ip address automatically. If you still cant ping the cube, then try filling in the boxes in there. The info you probably already have, if not, you can get it through the "ipconfig /all" and "route print" things.

This stuff I pretty much worked out on my own, through bits and pieces of stuff I read, so it's possible it's all completely wrong, but if it works, then it's all good, or something.

Oh yea, and I'm running windows 2000, so some things might be a bit different on yours if you're using something different. And again, I'm not 100% sure on what I'm doing, so if anyone wants to point me in the right direction/correct me/tell me I've screwed things up/etc at any time, DO IT.

Over
Nov 14, 2003, 11:14 AM
tahnks http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif but.... it keeps saying request timed out 4 all of them

Over
Nov 15, 2003, 12:08 PM
http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif please help

Hikara
Nov 15, 2003, 12:17 PM
DHCP, eh? Well, I've never tried to get my Gamecube hooked up online, but I do happen to have a NIC that I'm using to talk to you as we speak... Let's see here...

If I knew what I was doing with the GC, I'd help you, but I do know that you're going to need an IP address for your Game Cube. If there's ANY way to set that up, then tell it to obtain one automatically. Then, tell it to use the DHCP. If it's nothing like it is on a Computer, then sorry, I can't help ya...