PDA

View Full Version : Corrupted Data

DarkBlade3
Nov 11, 2003, 12:48 PM
I have a few high leveled characters on one nintendo gamecube memory card and jus the other day i went to play and it said my character data had been corrupted and it asked if i wanted to delete them and i selected no and now im woundering if there is any way that i can get those characters back.

I realy need to know this and i thank anyone who can help me!

KaFKa
Nov 11, 2003, 01:49 PM
unless you backed them up using the USB card, nope, they're dead as a doornail.

don't worry, i lost my lvl 152 Hunewearl to corruption, and i remade her, currently at level 82. so just make another character and start all over again.

also, did you happen to have one of those pink/white sato's? cuz those are supposedly viruses that corrupt your mem card

SpyroDi
Nov 11, 2003, 02:42 PM
I don't think it's possible to add viruses to a single item,especially on the GC.

rena-ko
Nov 11, 2003, 02:49 PM
well,you could try the swapping. have another memcard, but both in, the new one into A, the corrupted one in B. now go online with a new character. while dialing in, you quickly exchange the memcard with eachother and quit. with a little luck it can be rescued.

or you try offline multi, also with two cards. porting the corrupted charas forth and back.

being flash-memcards, the problem is, the file that got read/written the moment the power went down / cube froze is lost. if you got lucky, its the guildcardfile or network file. if you are unlucky it was the charafile and then you're screwed.

last chance would be to contact nintendo or sega and ask them if they could rescue your data. but i dont know of any case where this got successfully tested (contacting them i mean).

anyway, best of luck

joncushing
Nov 11, 2003, 05:37 PM
unless you backed them up using the USB card

Hate to sound stupid, but how do you do that and whats a USB card lol i apologise in advance

Superguppie
Nov 12, 2003, 07:18 AM
On 2003-11-11 14:37, joncushing wrote:

unless you backed them up using the USB card

Hate to sound stupid, but how do you do that and whats a USB card lol i apologise in advance

If you have a USB card, you can transfer the data to your PC. The copy on your PC can be used as backup for the data on the card. If the latter is corrupted you can restore the first from your PC to the card.

chantez131313
Nov 12, 2003, 04:45 PM
Forgot who posted this but thanks for the info. Oh and copy and paste this onto a file for later reference.

FSOD Corruption

Saving your characters is not impossible, I lost a few, and went around looking for info, some of the stuff I have posted elsewhere on this site, but I will repost my File Corruption Solutions....

Now as far as going online, yes you can lose items and character Data through FSOD, and disconnects on occassion. And also there may be times that you get booted off, only to log back in having the game tell you that you have a bad file and will have your items and challenge Data reset, in which you lose ALL ITEMS , ALL SPELLS, and all Material enhancements you have used.

And hte fact that people say that you should play on empty ships doesnt always save you from an FSOD, I have been on a completely empty block on an uninhabited ship and got frozen.. But the chances do increase if you go to full lobbies.

The Smartest thing to do is to make sure you bank all your weapons before going out to the online lobbies, since most FSOD's occur when going between lobbies, and hare very harmless, since all you lose are your unequiped items.

The Full FSOD has happened to me twice in the past 2 weeks, but I have found some ways around it, and you may want to cut and paste these two methods to get around it and save it on your computer as a text document so you don't have to go searching for it for when, not if it happens to you.

If you get the message that your memory card is corrupt or formatted for another region... do this.
(Disclaimer I got this method from these boards, I can't remember who posted it, but I thank them imensely because it saved my characters)

1. Take out the corrupt card and insert another card with PSO data on it.
2. Start an offline game all the way to the character select screen.
3. Remove the card..(do not select a character!!!!!)
4. When it says please insert memory card insert the corrupt file....Whallah your characters are healthy and alive.

I had this happen two days ago, and used this method..it does indeed work....

Also, another thing that may happen is that you get kicked off right as you are going into a game, when you log back on it tells you that your item data/ and challenge data will be initialized...
DO NOT HIT START AND ACCEPT it will clear out all of your items, and you will come back with a mag 500 mst 5 monomates and 5 monofluids.... instead

1.Pull out the memory card and hit reset (DO Not hit start to save the file
2.Make an offline multiplayer game with one of your other characters, if you don't have another character make one.
3. Transfer All items money etc. to the other character.
4. Log on with character that you just cleaned out the inventory and let it initialize the item/challenge data, you will lose whatever spells you have learned and all material enhancements, but it is better than losing all items money mags etc.
5. After char is initialized go back offline and transfer items back to character.. wha lah...not too much damage done...

Unlucky for me both of these methods were tested this last weekend when it happened to me, and like I said save this info for when...not if it happens to you especially if you are playing with a dial up connection.... I played this game for a year with none of it ever happening to me, but in the past month both have happend twice.

ShadowFOrce
Nov 12, 2003, 05:13 PM
The fist method sounds pretty good, I will have to try that if it ever happens to me..

jazzerb25
Nov 12, 2003, 08:05 PM
Good info Chant...I saved it for when it happens to me lol

trypticon
Nov 12, 2003, 08:54 PM
Yeah, really good, Chantez. Too bad that method is impossible. When you take out the memory card from slot A, the gamecube automatically resets. Replacing the card from slot B would not change this at all. What you have said is impossible, and furthermore, claiming that you have done this successfully to save your characters is an outright lie.

That goes to Rena Ko, also. For being here and posting as often as she does, I would figure this to be common knowledge to her by now.

DOG21313
Nov 12, 2003, 09:27 PM
On 2003-11-12 17:54, trypticon wrote:
Yeah, really good, Chantez. Too bad that method is impossible. When you take out the memory card from slot A, the gamecube automatically resets. Replacing the card from slot B would not change this at all. What you have said is impossible, and furthermore, claiming that you have done this successfully to save your characters is an outright lie.

That goes to Rena Ko, also. For being here and posting as often as she does, I would figure this to be common knowledge to her by now.

Never resets for me, I've done it tons of times, whenever I have friends over, we switch memory cards sometimes (two mem cards with chars) while on the character select screen. It just says THERE IS NO MEMORY CARD IN SLOT A, then you put a diff memory card in and the message goes away and brings up the characters for the new memory card!

I haven't tested the whole method (only been corrupted once, and it was better that way, I was a level 11 HUmar n00b who thought a Draw buster PWNZED) But I'm gonna make a PSO file on one of my mem cards and corrupt it on purpose to test this method.

trypticon
Nov 13, 2003, 02:10 AM
That is the experience I had when attempting to rescue my character after one of my corruptions in February. It could be that I didn't do something right, but I did follow the instructions that told to do as has been suggested on this thread, and it didn't work at all. I wish you luck in your experiment.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: trypticon on 2003-11-13 00:39 ]</font>

Mixfortune
Nov 13, 2003, 11:52 AM
On 2003-11-12 17:54, trypticon wrote:

It only reset itself if you are in the main menu when you take out the first memory card. That is one reason why it's done in the Character Select screen.

ADE
Nov 13, 2003, 12:20 PM
I didn't read everything but if nobody suggested this, try it, it works:

Manually delete your guildcard. You'll lose your cards, but if that's the only corrupted part, your character data will be fine.

trypticon
Nov 13, 2003, 12:47 PM
I was on the character select screen, and the game reset itself when I pulled the card out of slot A, saying it had lost it's connection, and must start over It's the same message you get when you unplug the internet connection when playing online.

ADE, that rarely works. If you are able to save your characters that way, you have experienced a partial corruption, not a full one.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: trypticon on 2003-11-13 09:47 ]</font>

Tilldawn
Nov 13, 2003, 01:24 PM
HOLY MONKEY BALLS u guys put all these things up ok they might work but i got corrupted and i said *bah yea right we'll see* i actually did say that, so i opened the disc lid pulled out my mem card and reset the cube *without a game disc* so i went into mem card and DELETED THE GUILD CARD FILE, so as i put in the disc it reloaded and asked blah blah new guild card blah blah , so it recreates it and bam u dont have corruption i still had everything SO THAT DOES WORK IT HAS HAPPENED TO ME USE IT!!

_Sinue_
Nov 13, 2003, 01:39 PM
I forced a corruption on a spare card and tried the method. It doesn't work as far as I can tell. I had the bright idea of minimizing damage by putting in a good card, going to create new character, and then switching mem cards with the corrupted one at the character creation screen and making a new character.. which would save to the corrupted card and fix the files. That way, you can pick the character you want the least.. and just recreate ONE character instead of four.

It didn't work either. The game knew I switched cards and would allow the save-over.

*Shrug*