PDA

View Full Version : The OFFSPRING

DemonFomarl
Nov 12, 2003, 04:29 PM
Yo...its been almost 5 years..but the band that one rattled your ear drums with awesome guitar solos, awesome bass lines, and lyrics so deep you could drown in them is making a comeback!! This December is the release of their sixth album, will an all new drummer is comming..it is title Splinters. Also please visit their website http://www.offspring.com which is updated regularly for more info on the album, live feeds and more fun stuff...later!!

KaFKa
Nov 12, 2003, 04:44 PM
...uhm, the offsping are good and all, but come on now, this just sounds like some kind of random-assed commercial. well, i wonder how bad they're gonna suck with this new drummer. meh, oh well. hope this doesen't get locked like the REST of all the commercial-type threads... jeckazz, u even slapped a link on there... *smacks forehead*

Kizaragu
Nov 12, 2003, 06:01 PM
He isn't 'advertising' as it were numbnuts.

I'm also looking forward to the album.
It's been far too long, and I hope (as with most things of late) it isn't a disapointment.

*waits for someone to flame about how much offspring suck.*

KaFKa
Nov 12, 2003, 06:19 PM
On 2003-11-12 15:01, Kizaragu wrote:

well, you're quite the intelligent one... seeing as i saw the EXACT same lines on the ad they had on my fav site. (won't say cuz then THAT would be considered advertising) kids these days.

Allos
Nov 12, 2003, 06:36 PM
I wondered where they went. I might buy it when it comes out, but I don't think it's been 5 years since the last album.

Nerd
Nov 12, 2003, 07:25 PM
As usual, the first single sucks.

Trendy bullshit...

Hopefully the rest of the album will NOT sound like the unholy noise the radio spewed forth a few nights ago.

SpikeOtacon
Nov 12, 2003, 07:29 PM
Really? They have a single out for it? Damn, I need to find a radio...
Why was it so bad?

LamerPanda
Nov 12, 2003, 07:33 PM
On 2003-11-12 15:01, Kizaragu wrote:

He has one post. o_0 Strikes me as very strange that he would only post that.

Besides, it probably falls under the definition of an ad anyway.

Kizaragu
Nov 12, 2003, 07:58 PM
Blame my ignorance in not actually checking out the link.
*open foot, insert mouth*

KaFKa
Nov 12, 2003, 08:27 PM
heh...

PontiusR
Nov 13, 2003, 03:27 PM
Lyrics so deep you could drown in them...we must not be thinking of the same band. Seems like the offspring were always just another "fuck authority" band that I categorize with the talentless Blink 182, Linkin Park, New Found Glory, Slipknot etc. But I'm not trying to change your mind. If thats what you like more power to you.

darthsaber9x9
Nov 13, 2003, 04:22 PM
On 2003-11-13 12:27, PontiusR wrote:
Lyrics so deep you could drown in them...we must not be thinking of the same band. Seems like the offspring were always just another "fuck authority" band that I categorize with the talentless Blink 182, Linkin Park, New Found Glory, Slipknot etc. But I'm not trying to change your mind. If thats what you like more power to you.

sorry but blink182 have changed i think. heh he got a new guitar and a fucking nice gibson it is too...cant find a pic...

KaFKa
Nov 13, 2003, 04:46 PM
just another "fuck authority" band that I categorize with the talentless Blink 182, Linkin Park, New Found Glory, Slipknot etc.

i agree with you that offspring, blink, and new fround glory are crap, but linkin park is one of the better bands out there at the moment, and slipknot has it's own style of music that you obviously don't see as talent. please try not to categoriza such extremes as blink compared to slipknot... those are two bands in which the only thing that is the same between the two is their instruments (guitars, drums, etc.) and also, listen to linkin park's lyrics before you categorize. nothing about "fuck authority" appears on their albums as you are speaking of. peh, next you'll be telling us mudvayne is crap and we should be listening to the harmoniousness of rap. *shudders at the thought*

Kizaragu
Nov 13, 2003, 04:59 PM
I love Blink and do admit that they WERE a little immature.
But now having 'legally' aqquired the whole of thier new album, you wouldn't believe how different they sound.
After reading all these articles on how they'd grown up and had gone all seriouse on us, I'd just assumed (after hearing 'feeling this')that they wouldn't be all that different.

Turns out they are.

Do they sound more like the side project Boxcar racer? Maybe, just a little bit. But they're now completely unrecogniseable from the blink of before.
Theres no bop along songs like 'All the small things' in there AT ALL.
It's really quite surreal hearing Mark screaming about someone slitting his throat. If you don't believe me, check out the lyrics to 'Easy target'.

Now there is no denying, Blink 182 are a punk rock band.

(Before people start flaming me about how bad blink are, at least listen to the new album ok? You'll be pleasently supprised.)

Edit:
I also find it really patronising how someone can label a band just because they don't like their music 'Crap'.
Just because you don't like them doesn't mean the rest of the world thinks so.
If they write their own music, play there own instruments, and sing their own songs what's your problem?
I don't particularly like Slipknot, but I'm not going to slag them off? Why? Because it's not to my taste and someone out there may find there music as something to relate too.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kizaragu on 2003-11-13 14:11 ]</font>

lain2k3
Nov 13, 2003, 05:11 PM
Yup, blink has most definetely changed for the better. the only song I REAllY liked from them before was Adams Song. their new album is much better than most older stuff. The offsprings last album was great, with the exception of the 2 singles.

I've noticed that with many bands that I like, the singels turn out to be the only bad songs on the album.

muff
Nov 13, 2003, 07:25 PM

No, I totally disagree.
They dont even come close to those type of bands.
If you read the lyrics they are decent. Unlike Blink 182, linkin park etc.
The offspring are really old, heh.
They used to be my faveroite band but with lack of activity they dropped to below my top ten list ;-; Lets see what this new stuffs like.

starhealer
Nov 14, 2003, 12:01 AM
On 2003-11-13 14:11, lain2k3 wrote:
Yup, blink has most definetely changed for the better. the only song I REAllY liked from them before was Adams Song. their new album is much better than most older stuff. The offsprings last album was great, with the exception of the 2 singles.

Adam's Song is my absolute favourite Blink song. *huggles it*

Offspring, on the other hand, hasn't had a really good album since Ixnay, at least in my opinion. Americana had two or three good tracks, but that's about it and they simply went downhill from there.

HotWaterDeath
Nov 14, 2003, 01:53 PM
"rattled your ear drums with awesome guitar solos, awesome bass lines, and lyrics so deep you could drown in them"

Now Offspring is decent and everything but "awesome bass lines, lyrics, and guitar solos?" That's pushing it. If I can learn your basslines the first time I hear them (I can play any Offspring basslines you toss in front of me, while listening to it), then you know its some easy crap. Their lyrical content is quite laughable, and perhaps they are trying to be funny...well at least I hope they are. I personally believe their greatest work was done with their stint on Epitaph Records. The only decent record they released after that was "Ixnay on the Hombre".

To the chap that said "Blink 182 is a punk band":

Perhaps you mean't to say "Blink 182 was NEVER a punk band", as they never embodied anything "punk-rock" ever stood for. They are a bunch of mall-shopping, "Hurley" boys that are still trying to emulate pubescent teens. There is no DIY ethic in their work. They are not breaking away from mainstream culture or ignoring guidelines, they ARE MAINSTREAM..in word and deed. How in the world are you "punk-rock" if you play poppy songs and whine about fifteen year-old girls? If thats what it takes to make you a "punker" than every freakin' teenager in the planet is "punk-rock-to the tenth power".

I not saying I hate Blink 182 (Not to be confused with Blink, which happens to be a decent band) or anything, its more that I hate it when people call Blink 182 and New Found Glory (And any band like them) "punk-rock".

BOTTOM LINE: If you sell band merchandise in mall stores, have your likeness on mass-produced coffee mugs, sell-out stadiums across the globe, are on major radio stations, are on "Music" Television, have your face on the cover of Rolling Stone Magazine, than you are NOT "punk" (Which happens to be a retarded term anyway).

Kizaragu
Nov 14, 2003, 02:27 PM
You fool.
That's what I said. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif
Blink 182 never were a punk rock band. They were 'crappy' (alhough shamefully, I did enjoy their music).
But after hearing their new album, they are near on unrecogniseable. (Apart from 'feeling this')

NOW they're punk rock.

Whats wrong with mainstream?
EVERY band wants to become popular. Even if they say they don't. Why become part of a band otherwise? You want people to hear your music and the money's always nice. I'm sick of hearing people calling a band 'sellouts' just because they're popular.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kizaragu on 2003-11-14 11:34 ]</font>

Anubis_
Nov 14, 2003, 02:51 PM
*sings of key.. voice cracking..*
now the neighborhoods craked an torn..
the kids are grown up but their lives are worn..
what tha hell is going on..
crueles dreams reality..

that song played over and over in my head during basic training..
Along with Its My Life by Bon Jovi.. Are You There by Oleander, and just about every linkin park song i could think of.

I dont know why.. but i only listen to rock songs that are just a smidge depressing..

I think blink has some talent.. It just isn't musical.. but seriously. Just like a lot of musicians, they just sell records by saying things into a microfone on beat... Any one can do that.. All you need is an off-the-wall name and a recording studio then bam.. ur on the MTV music awards..

Its like their one of the first people ever to put their groceries into a paper bag.. sure it may seem obvious now.. but u have to give um credit cause they made a name for themselves by doing it..

KaFKa
Nov 14, 2003, 03:14 PM
...i just heard blink182's new songs. (kazaa is always there for you) they still sound like the same old blink, only with better guitar rifts, and a change in lyrical direction. nothing else. maybe a little more distortion. still no bassline, and still has a hint of "pop" about it. i also had the dismay of hearing the offsping's new single, my ears are still bleeding. all in all, i've given up on the "poser" bands of today. and to whoever called linkin park crap, I HATE YOU!!!!

side note: i still hate you.

Kizaragu
Nov 14, 2003, 03:36 PM
What do you mean blink sound no different? Are you deaf? :D

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kizaragu on 2003-11-14 13:43 ]</font>

PontiusR
Nov 14, 2003, 06:00 PM
Linkin Park=a commercial version of Nine Inch Nails, IMO. The whole "no one understands me at all, why is the word so cruel thing" has been done for years, and bands like Korn and Linkin Park offer a more mainstream version. Linkin Park mixes electronics, drums, guitars, and scream/whisper vocals, all things that NIN have been doing since at least the Broken EP, released 1992.

Slipknot is Pantera with more superficial and repetitive lyrics. There are like 12 people creating a sound that 5 could. Obviously a commercial gimmick. I also thank Slipknot for 50 million fucking whiny bastards saying that they're gonna cut themselves and kill themselves. They won't. It's just a "cool" thing to say.

I haven't heard the new Blink album, but if the two songs I've heard off of it, "Violence" and "Always" are any indicant of the rest of the album I'm sure I won't like it. Then again I wouldn't want someone to judge Tool off of "Schism", NIN off of "Closer", or Rage Against the Machine off of "Testify" because those are not the best songs any of those bands have to offer.

Judging from all of your replies, some of you didn't seem to read my entire post before running off to reply to it. I said that if that's what you like, then more power to you. I do not want to push what I like on to you, I just try to expand horizons. Yes, I have listened to all the Slipknot, Korn, Linkin Park, most of the Blink, and the last Offspring CD so yes I don't open my mouth based off 1 song. I formed my opinions through open-minded listening and what I think are fair comparisons. I hope you do the same.

KaFKa
Nov 15, 2003, 01:31 AM
...you blame slipknot for that kind of shit? you think that linkin park is just another "cry" band?

i realize that you have listened to their cds (at least the better part of them) but the fact that you categorize too broadly is my real gripe about it. as stated before. you can't even start to place blik182 with slipknot in the same category. im not trying to change YOUR views on the subject either, but i think that you are too dismissive about things like that.

A) Slipknot: you say that they are the reason for all the little bitches that say theyre gonna cut/kill thenselves. it was my obsevation that those whiny punks were always like that, only now they have a medium to base it through. which is much like the issue with Ozzy/Marilyn Manson/etc... they say it is the music that is the issue, when it actually is the kids themselves having something to base their already-chosen mindsets through. independent from the aforementioned, those punks that say they will do it bcause it is "cool" to say they will do it, they were always like that, trying to act hard so they could get some attention. at least that is from my observations in high school the last few years. although i graduated, my other friends say its still the same, kids begging for attention cuz mommy/daddy didnt give them any.

B) Linkin Park: although most of their songs are like that "the world is so cruel, blah, blah" some others are completely devoid of this effect. take the reanimation CD for example, almost no songs whatsoever had the effect of which you are speaking of. also, most people (me included) aren't into their songs because of the "poor me" style of lyrics, they like linkin park because the actual music is a departure from most categories of music. a little bit of hip-hop, some metal, some other shit, and you have what is generally known as a novelty. maybe im wrong in my generalization of listeners, but i have their first cd sitting on my cd rack because it is something new to listen to. the only relatively (and i use the term quite loosely) close band to linkin park's style is rammstein (again, i use the term "relatively" very, very loosely)

there is my little rant, im sure you have a good reason as to why i am wrong, and i would appreciate it if you could give me that reason, i don't like being wrong twice http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif (jp)

PontiusR
Nov 15, 2003, 01:47 AM
I'm glad you wrote that. Have you ever listened to NIN though?

KaFKa
Nov 15, 2003, 01:54 AM
why yes, i have. although at the time i was half-asleep and at the time i was still just a hardcore raver. so i didn't pay that much attention to it. i'll hafta go get some of their songs on kazaa...

PontiusR
Nov 15, 2003, 01:56 AM
Might I suggest a few:

I Do Not Want This
March of the Pigs
Closer (the one you've probably heard)
Hurt
The Fragile

Those are the most accesible. And yes the lyrics are whiny but NIN helped really invent that genre and Trent Reznor did have some real problems so I can forgive him.

P.S.
I'll have to give Re-Animated a listen, seeing as it was a remix CD and I wasn't a big fan I never picked that one up

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PontiusR on 2003-11-14 22:58 ]</font>

KaFKa
Nov 15, 2003, 02:13 AM
thx, now i can add to my already astounding collection of music on there. (currently 3k files and counting) and yes, reanimation is the bastard-child of linkin park. it doesent fit in anywhere... (except for maybe one or two tracks) so yeah, you might like it, or think that its total crap. either way, its your opinion

NKOTB
Nov 15, 2003, 03:04 AM
On 2003-11-12 13:29, DemonFomarl wrote:
Yo

Did you just say "yo"?

Kizaragu
Nov 15, 2003, 08:37 AM
I'm guessing because it's a 'cool and hip' thing to say amongst the youngsters today.
Just like the words in Italics. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

starhealer
Nov 16, 2003, 04:31 PM
On 2003-11-14 22:31, KaFKa wrote:

also, most people (me included) aren't into their songs because of the "poor me" style of lyrics, they like linkin park because the actual music is a departure from most categories of music. a little bit of hip-hop, some metal, some other shit, and you have what is generally known as a novelty.

I would say System of a Down is more novel than Linkin Park, but that's just me. Then again, I personally dislike Linkin Park, so it could also be a bias.

SpikeOtacon
Nov 16, 2003, 04:40 PM
On 2003-11-16 13:31, starhealer wrote:

also, most people (me included) aren't into their songs because of the "poor me" style of lyrics, they like linkin park because the actual music is a departure from most categories of music. a little bit of hip-hop, some metal, some other shit, and you have what is generally known as a novelty.

I would say System of a Down is more novel than Linkin Park, but that's just me. Then again, I personally dislike Linkin Park, so it could also be a bias.

No, System of a Down is more of a 'Fuck Athority' band rather than Linkin Parks teenage style ramblings. Don't get me wrong, I love linkin parks music, but it sounds the same to me nowadays. The Offspring are more of a Dealing with Issues, and making fun of myself band. (All until 'Conspiracy of One' that is)

KaFKa
Nov 16, 2003, 04:40 PM
...SoAD wasn't even in this discussion, but yes, they are more novel than linkin park. but let's face it, SoAD is one of the best bands of all time IMO.

starhealer
Nov 17, 2003, 01:10 AM
I wasn't referring to what they sing so much as how they sing it. They have the most unique blend of musical stylings I've heard in a while. I mentioned them only because one person called Linkin Park novel based on their sound. So that's what I was referring to...

HotWaterDeath
Nov 17, 2003, 10:18 AM
On 2003-11-14 11:27, Kizaragu wrote:
You fool.
That's what I said. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif
Blink 182 never were a punk rock band. They were 'crappy' (alhough shamefully, I did enjoy their music).
But after hearing their new album, they are near on unrecogniseable. (Apart from 'feeling this')

NOW they're punk rock.

Whats wrong with mainstream?
EVERY band wants to become popular. Even if they say they don't. Why become part of a band otherwise? You want people to hear your music and the money's always nice. I'm sick of hearing people calling a band 'sellouts' just because they're popular.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kizaragu on 2003-11-14 11:34 ]</font>

I see you've missed my point as well friend. They are not "punk" now, nor will they ever be a punk band. Blink 182 never sold out, they just exploded all over the different forums of mainstream music. I have no problem with a band becoming popular and making truckloads of money. Weezer is one of my favorite bands and they probably make millions a year, not to mention they're on Geffen (Which is a HUGE freaking label). Shoot I love Rise Against and they just signed to Dreamworks! As long as the band still produces quality music (or keeps their general beliefs and message intact). Blink 182 is still producing poppy-ish music, and they were and always will be a pop-band. Just because you switch up your music a tad and do faster palm-mutes in no way makes a band "punk-rock". Sheesh you probably thought the Sex Pistols were "punk-rock" too.

SpikeOtacon
Nov 17, 2003, 10:25 AM
Not to go too off topic but I'm curious...
What do you consider the 'Gorillaz' to be? And don't post here if all you've heard is clint eastwood and 19-2000. I want an answer from someone who has HEARD both of thier albums ('Gorillaz', and 'G-Sides')
Just curious, because my musicmatch has half of thier album under 'pop', and scattered in punk, rock, and alternative.

SorceressofTime
Nov 17, 2003, 10:41 AM
ok, i could not at all be bothered reading all those long paragraphed replies but to put short: mocking the offspring and other bands of the like is probably saying that gothic bands are under the category of pop music. <_<

(how about no. people have different opinions, so let's stay that way)

KaFKa
Nov 17, 2003, 12:34 PM
On 2003-11-17 07:25, SpikeOtacon wrote:
Not to go too off topic but I'm curious...
What do you consider the 'Gorillaz' to be? And don't post here if all you've heard is clint eastwood and 19-2000. I want an answer from someone who has HEARD both of thier albums ('Gorillaz', and 'G-Sides')
Just curious, because my musicmatch has half of thier album under 'pop', and scattered in punk, rock, and alternative.

gorillaz... those guys are so cool. i have both of their albums, sitting on my cd rack somewhere... im not sure, they're just there, in bteween all of the mainstream types of music. some of their music is just downright funny to listen to. but yeah, gorillaz is cool.

and also, to starhealer, if you're gonna bash me on my opinion of music, you should really think before you send, because if i wanted to flame you, i would. but thats just downright childish to do something like that. and to second someone's thought on the "new" blink182...(sorry i can't remember your name) they are still the blink182 of old, only sith a better sound. (yay, ranting is fun)

Anubis_
Nov 17, 2003, 02:50 PM
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On 2003-11-16 13:31, starhealer wrote:
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No, System of a Down is more of a 'Fuck Athority' band rather than Linkin Parks teenage style ramblings. Don't get me wrong, I love linkin parks music, but it sounds the same to me nowadays. The Offspring are more of a Dealing with Issues, and making fun of myself band. (All until 'Conspiracy of One' that is)

My God!! what happened to the good-old-days when people use to sing about walking on sunshine..

SpikeOtacon
Nov 17, 2003, 02:51 PM
My God!! what happened to the good-old-days when people use to sing about walking on sunshine..

Perhaps not walking on sunshine, but feeling glad I got sunshine in a bag.
http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

lain2k3
Nov 17, 2003, 03:46 PM
On 2003-11-14 22:56, PontiusR wrote:
Might I suggest a few:

I Do Not Want This
March of the Pigs
Hurt
The Fragile

Those are the most accesible. And yes the lyrics are whiny but NIN helped really invent that genre and Trent Reznor did have some real problems so I can forgive him.

P.S.
I'll have to give Re-Animated a listen, seeing as it was a remix CD and I wasn't a big fan I never picked that one up

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PontiusR on 2003-11-14 22:58 ]</font>

I dont really care for trents stuff like starfuckers or closer, but songs like 'hurt' and 'something I can never have' are REALLY good.

and If you dont have prblems, you never really have anything to sing about, now do you?

all songs have to be whiny to some degree, and NIN pulls it off damn near perfectly.

but good charlotte, sum 41 and new found glory take it WAY too far.

lain2k3
Nov 17, 2003, 03:57 PM
On 2003-11-17 12:46, lain2k3 wrote:

On 2003-11-14 22:56, PontiusR wrote:
Might I suggest a few:

I Do Not Want This
March of the Pigs
Hurt
The Fragile

P.S.

I dont really care for trents stuff like starfuckers or closer, but songs like 'hurt' and 'something I can never have' are REALLY good.

and If you dont have prblems, you never really have anything to sing about, now do you?

all songs have to be whiny to some degree, and NIN, Smashing Pumpkins, and the Goo Goo Dolls pull it off damn near perfectly.

but good charlotte, sum 41 and new found glory take it WAY too far.

starhealer
Nov 17, 2003, 10:11 PM
On 2003-11-17 09:34, KaFKa wrote:

and also, to starhealer, if you're gonna bash me on my opinion of music, you should really think before you send, because if i wanted to flame you, i would. but thats just downright childish to do something like that.

I wasn't bashing...I'm sorry if it came off that way. I was just saying that I think SoaD is more novel in their musical stylings than Linkin Park. I'm not bashing them or you for liking them. My personal feelings toward the band in no way transcend to bashing you for your personal feelings for the band. But we're all entitled to our opinion.