PDA

View Full Version : Who do you think REALLY owns nintendo?

Hikara
Nov 13, 2003, 08:30 AM
It's pretty simple, guys...

Oh, and Mods, I'd like your opinion on this, too, please.

AlphaDoom
Nov 13, 2003, 08:44 AM
It will always be Mario.

Kent
Nov 13, 2003, 08:50 AM
Luigi is conspiring against Mario, and plans to eventually thwart him by using his superior jumping ability.

_Sinue_
Nov 13, 2003, 09:23 AM
Sonic came out swinging and flooding the NGC with a plethora of his titles.. actually.. pretty much ALL of his titles. (SA1, SA2, Collection, Heroes, ect)

Mario has only had ONE premier title to himself - a half-hearted effort compaired to Mario 64. He's been featured in a few other games, but the focus definately isn't on him. Wario is even beating Mario.. which is sad.

The match isn't over yet, but I think it's fair to say that unless the next Mario title is a blockbuster - Sonic will have won this match easily.

Hikara
Nov 13, 2003, 02:38 PM
I've heard the news that Mario's grasp on Nintendo is slipping. As Sinue pointed out, he's only had one title, and a piece of crap at that...

It is of my personal opinion (You know, the guy who started this poll) that it's either going to be Link, or Sonic/Shadow.

_Sinue_
Nov 13, 2003, 02:59 PM
Link is a good runner up, and someone I could be happy with Sonic loosing to if he HAS to loose. Link is a very popular character. His new Wind Waker "Celda" image hasn't gone over too well - but the game is fun, and people largely remember him for how he was presented in OoT, SSB:M, and SC II.

Bradicus
Nov 13, 2003, 03:00 PM
On 2003-11-13 06:23, _Sinue_ wrote:
Mario has only had ONE premier title to himself - a half-hearted effort

die

Belqvar
Nov 13, 2003, 06:11 PM
i'd say its still mario, and it will be for a very long time.

AUTO_
Nov 13, 2003, 06:26 PM
Sonic came out swinging and flooding the NGC with a plethora of his titles.. actually.. pretty much ALL of his titles. (SA1, SA2, Collection, Heroes, ect)

Mario has only had ONE premier title to himself - a half-hearted effort compaired to Mario 64. He's been featured in a few other games, but the focus definately isn't on him. Wario is even beating Mario.. which is sad.

The match isn't over yet, but I think it's fair to say that unless the next Mario title is a blockbuster - Sonic will have won this match easily.

I think a little more thought and programming goes into a newly released Mario title then the Wario games and Sonic games, don't you? Half of the titles with sonic available for GC are complete bs rehashes that have been tossed from system to system.

Regardless if you think Sunshine was crap compared to Mario64, you would be lying if you said the game wasn't good by general games on the market (people just like to complain...I thought Sunshine was a great game).

Saying someone besides Mario is the Nintendo poster-child is just complete bullshit in my mind...and even if there is a "heated" runner up out of the selected, I think that title goes to Link and the Zelda series.

Sonic is just a homeless mascot who's whoring himself out to any system that will cough up the dough to see him go fast in (slightly) different levels.

Sonic and Crash Bandicoot both go to Rejection therapy now every tuesdays and thursdays.

Bradicus
Nov 13, 2003, 06:39 PM
On 2003-11-13 15:26, AUTO_ wrote:

I think a little more thought and programming goes into a newly released Mario title then the Wario games and Sonic games, don't you? Half of the titles with sonic available for GC are complete bs rehashes that have been tossed from system to system.

Regardless if you think Sunshine was crap compared to Mario64, you would be lying if you said the game wasn't good by general games on the market (people just like to complain...I thought Sunshine was a great game).

Saying someone besides Mario is the Nintendo poster-child is just complete bullshit in my mind...and even if there is a "heated" runner up out of the selected, I think that title goes to Link and the Zelda series.

Sonic is just a homeless mascot who's whoring himself out to any system that will cough up the dough to see him go fast in (slightly) different levels.

Sonic and Crash Bandicoot both go to Rejection therapy now every tuesdays and thursdays.

said god

Toruxxx
Nov 13, 2003, 06:44 PM
im sticking with my Link vote ^_^ i dun care if u shout at me lol Link rules the nintendo!!! hehe

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Toruxxx on 2003-11-13 15:45 ]</font>

Shattered_weasel
Nov 13, 2003, 06:45 PM
On 2003-11-13 15:26, AUTO_ wrote:

and every other day you and I have anger managment

AUTO_
Nov 13, 2003, 06:55 PM
On 2003-11-13 15:45, Shattered_weasel wrote:

and every other day you and I have anger managment

They bumped me up to 7 days a week. I guess I'm a full-time member now.

*taps name tag*

s.TiNgEr
Nov 13, 2003, 07:02 PM
Mario forever.... O_x

Kizaragu
Nov 13, 2003, 07:23 PM
I've spent all day playing my mates copy of Mario Kart for the Gamecube. (Got it a day early)
My votes with the moustached fella!
"Nin-tendio!"

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kizaragu on 2003-11-13 16:24 ]</font>

Inu_Ranma
Nov 13, 2003, 07:24 PM
You already have it!?

I hate you!!!

Skett
Nov 13, 2003, 07:38 PM
I would say Mario. Its kinda funny that Mario doesn't have the power he once had in games. When a new title came out everyone (mostly magazines) went crazy about it and now, not only has Mario lost his star status to games like Metal Gear Solid and Halo, more adult, more violent games.

Also, Mario seems to have lost the platforming power as well. Now violence seems to be the star in platformers. Metal Arms: A Glitch in the System, Ratchet and Clank, and others have gone violent with different guns the characters can use. I dont thing Mario as Nintendo's mascot will really do squat for it anymore.

Maybe Im just thinking in the past. I grew up in the old 8 and 16 bit days where games were based on good gameplay, not violence and vulger material. 2D games were the best, in my opinion. That is probibly why I enjoy my GBA more than my Xbox and GCN.

Yosh...

Spartan117
Nov 13, 2003, 08:05 PM
I have to say Link.

I fell in love with it with Ocarina of Time.
Hated it with Majora's Mask
Loved it with Master Quest Collection
And liked it with Wind Waker.

The Waker was to short. I beat it in 2 school days. Withought help.

Hikara
Nov 13, 2003, 10:12 PM
On 2003-11-13 16:38, Skett wrote:
I would say Mario. Its kinda funny that Mario doesn't have the power he once had in games. When a new title came out everyone (mostly magazines) went crazy about it and now, not only has Mario lost his star status to games like Metal Gear Solid and Halo, more adult, more violent games.

Also, Mario seems to have lost the platforming power as well. Now violence seems to be the star in platformers. Metal Arms: A Glitch in the System, Ratchet and Clank, and others have gone violent with different guns the characters can use. I dont thing Mario as Nintendo's mascot will really do squat for it anymore.

Maybe Im just thinking in the past. I grew up in the old 8 and 16 bit days where games were based on good gameplay, not violence and vulger material. 2D games were the best, in my opinion. That is probibly why I enjoy my GBA more than my Xbox and GCN.

Yosh...

Imagine Mario with a gun!! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Guile
Nov 14, 2003, 12:48 AM
Me, I got like 5 of their systems.

DarthFomar
Nov 14, 2003, 01:55 AM
Zelda...no, Sonic...no, I got it....Mario. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

hmmmm...what about Bill Gates. Maybe he's the one that owns nintendo. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

But seriously I think the Mario games sell a lot more than the Sonic and Zelda series. It's only natural, anyone remember Mario Bros. for NES.

BoUnCeR
Nov 14, 2003, 07:29 AM
I think nintendo is owned by little green men with 3 eyes

Temjin-On
Nov 15, 2003, 08:58 PM
On 2003-11-13 16:38, Skett wrote:

Yosh...

Yea, games are shit theese days for any platform. It pains me to say it but, the video games are losing thier unique traits, and now every game has to use the F word and show a crapload of boobs to sell its self at all. there are the true gamers who play games because they are fun (Wind Waker, dont hate it mr. violence and boobs, its got more game play than any game you will ever play.) not because of the same damn shit over and over and over. Lets make games like Halo, screw fun! screw a good time! screw unique ness, less make piles of shit that everyone has to play because noone plays thoose so called other games shooters are video games. Hah, dream on FPS fans, your kind has killed many a good game. So in short, lets go back to the SNES.

_Sinue_
Nov 15, 2003, 09:19 PM
Personally, I thought Halo was a pretty fucking game - expecially in Multi-Player. FPS's aren't the epitome of poor quality. You may not be a fan of them, but there are Quakers out there everybit as dedicated to honing their Deathmatch skills as any SNK or StreetFighter II Turbo fanboy.

Just because a game involves a lot of blood and gore which can appeal to the masses, doesn't mean it can't also be a damn good game with some increadible depth to it.

If you want to blame ANYONE for making piss poor games in this day and age, don't blame the genres or the developers - blame the publishers and management. Noone goes into the game industry with the mindset of "I jus want to make a few mediocre titles, increase my portfolio, and then move on to programming mediocre word processors or something". I believe that developers, as gamers, to genuinely TRY to do their best to make increadible games - but their goals, talents, beliefs, and aspirations are crushed at the reality of the market. Deadlines, Budgets, Cost cutting measures, rehashes, and riding the trends - all for the sake of, not making a good game, but just producing a game for as cheap as possible and pleasing the suits.

People who enjoy Laws, Videogames, and Hot Dogs - should never see how they are created.

LostHero
Nov 16, 2003, 07:24 PM
Where the hell is donkey kong on your list?