PDA

View Full Version : Last Samurai or the third Lord of the Rings?

ssephiroth_da_hunter
Nov 15, 2003, 11:13 PM
Wut do u want to see more?? For me, I want to see the Last Samurai a liitle bit more than Lord of the Rings.

shifter
Nov 15, 2003, 11:20 PM
i havent heard to much about the last samurai, so right now ill say the lord of the rings. so far i havent been disappointed with the series, unlike some other movie trilogies(reloaded, tmnt3, and the new star wars movies, to name a few). so ill been useing my hard earned money to see lotr first, then samuria.

RuneLateralus
Nov 15, 2003, 11:27 PM
I really do want to see Last Samurai...

But lets face it, I waited two years for Return of the King. It wins by default.

Inu_Ranma
Nov 16, 2003, 04:57 AM
Hmmmm...let's see. A Ripoff of Shogun with poor use of Kan'ji or a movie which I've been waiting for since I read the book that it came from...

Both. Even a ripoff of Shogun still has the foundations that made one of my favorite books ever.

polishedweasel
Nov 16, 2003, 12:48 PM
Er...how about both. Watch it matinee, it's only like 5 bucks. That's the way to go...

KaFKa
Nov 16, 2003, 04:02 PM
...or just go for a double feature (you know where you watch one, then sneak into the second one before it starts)

BlackCanaryOfDeath
Nov 16, 2003, 05:03 PM
Buh. Last Samurai looks dumb.

I can't wait for Return of the King.

Well maybe I can wait, but only till December seventeen.

RavenTW
Nov 16, 2003, 05:12 PM
Last Samurai, I have to complete the prerquiset of seeing Two Towers before I can see LOTR:ROTK

Lord_Sloth
Nov 16, 2003, 06:33 PM
The Last Samurai!
LOTR-ROTK will be pushing 4 hours! I don't want to sit in the theater that long!

LostHero
Nov 16, 2003, 07:04 PM
You should be shot for saying Last Samurai... seriously.

RavenTW
Nov 16, 2003, 07:10 PM
Hey, I have a good excuse, I still need to see Two Towers.

LostHero
Nov 16, 2003, 07:19 PM
On 2003-11-16 16:10, RavenTW wrote:
Hey, I have a good excuse, I still need to see Two Towers.

I have just lost all faith in humanity.

Spartan117
Nov 16, 2003, 07:21 PM
I say Last Samurai. Then again I never saw the 2nd LOTR anyways either.

Lord_Sloth
Nov 16, 2003, 07:33 PM
On 2003-11-16 16:04, LostHero wrote:
You should be shot for saying Last Samurai... seriously.

Oh yeah?
*shoots LostHero*
I drew first! I said Last Samurai because I don't really like LOTR! The best character died in the First film! Boromir! And where the hell was Gilthoniel?! I don't want to see this whiney Arwen! I hate that character!

LostHero
Nov 16, 2003, 07:36 PM
Well matched kind sir! While I may not like the words you say, I'll defend to the death your right to say them! [/english accent]

Lord_Sloth
Nov 16, 2003, 07:45 PM
And ditch the accent! Or is that your native tongue?

LostHero
Nov 16, 2003, 07:47 PM
I dont have an accent or native tongue. After learning to speak english from indonesians who couldn't speak it themselves, then going to a year of speech therapy my voice is undistinguishable to any culture... sigh

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LostHero on 2003-11-16 16:47 ]</font>

Lord_Sloth
Nov 16, 2003, 07:53 PM
Wha???
Ok! That was wierd! So have yopu read the LOTR books?

LostHero
Nov 16, 2003, 07:54 PM
Aye, all four.

shifter
Nov 16, 2003, 08:32 PM
On 2003-11-16 13:02, KaFKa wrote:
...or just go for a double feature (you know where you watch one, then sneak into the second one before it starts)

thats called movie hopping last time i checked

BlackCanaryOfDeath
Nov 16, 2003, 09:51 PM
Called stealing last time I checked.

Delsaber
Nov 16, 2003, 11:02 PM
I shall see both, of course. Why not see both? I have waitied two years to see Return of the Kind and Last Samurai doesn't look bad.

Deathscythealpha
Nov 17, 2003, 09:22 AM
Last Samurai looks really expolitive of the recent interest in Japanese culture, and i swear Tom Cruise has stolen Mitsurugi's outfit near the end of the trailer.

I would probably end up seeing ROTK, as everyone on my flat wants to see that more. Ive just got to watch the second film first.

SorceressofTime
Nov 17, 2003, 10:22 AM
hahaha f*ck that shit, i wanna see both. ^_^v regardless of what people say about either movie, unlike others i choose to be different. why? cause it's fun.

the last samurai, well, since i have a deep interest with the japanese culture (and influence from my father with samurais), it's a must see.
the third LOTR...hmmm just wanna see it for all the battle scenes - and it's storyline. hehe, oh legolas you can save me. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Inu_Ranma
Nov 17, 2003, 11:48 AM
I'm fairly obsessed with Japanese culture, but that actually lent more against my seeing Last Samurai. In the trailer, the Kan'ji's mostly wrong. Just about the only thing they got right is 'Tomu Kuruzu,' which is, of course, Katakana.

starhealer
Nov 17, 2003, 01:32 PM
On 2003-11-17 08:48, Inu_Ranma wrote:
I'm fairly obsessed with Japanese culture, but that actually lent more against my seeing Last Samurai. In the trailer, the Kan'ji's mostly wrong. Just about the only thing they got right is 'Tomu Kuruzu,' which is, of course, Katakana.

So I'm not the only one...

Inu, quick question. Are you self-taught, schooled or what in Japanese? I'm just wondering because I tend to write things differently than you (your Kan'ji vs. my kanji, for instance) and I'm trying to figure out if we learned different writing styles or something. Your way reminds me of Chinese dictation, for some odd reason...

I both want to see and fear seeing Return of the King. The first two movies were...iffy...at times and I expect them to just trash the rest of the storyline for pointless battles. They already ruined the climax of the story for me, so I'm mainly seeing it for seeing it's sake.

Inu_Ranma
Nov 18, 2003, 12:01 AM
I've taken a year of wonderful College-level Japanese (I myself being a college student...duh) and I have to say that they were the hardest classes that I have ever taken. I was unable to continue them this year, unfortunately, but I hope to pick it back up when I transfer to University.

The system which I write in is modified Hepburn (the difference is that I write out repeated characters, whereas ther hepburn system would put a line over them, etc.) The other modification in my textbook's system is the apostrophe after the monosyllabic 'n' to make sure that it is pronounced by the students. I got really comfortable with it and so I still write it out that way http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

starhealer
Nov 18, 2003, 03:03 PM
Hepburn is annoying, in that it doesn't distinguish between, say, a 'oo' (as in honoo) and an 'ou' (as in deshyou), due to the long vowel line. My textbook generally writes out 'ou' sounds as 'oo' but it bothers the piss out of me, because that's not a long 'o' sounds, it's an 'u' in English. Confusing.

I've taken two years at college level, but unfortunately my college doesn't offer any more than two years, so I have to learn on my own or from other students. I try to keep up with it but it does get rather intimidating.

Anyhow, on topic...saw a commercial for Samurai yesterday...I still want to see it, but the more I watch previews for it the more the schism of a white man in old Japan bothers me. I'm still hoping it turns out all right, though.

BoUnCeR
Nov 18, 2003, 03:38 PM
On 2003-11-16 16:54, LostHero wrote:
Aye, all four.

all... four? you're not counting in The Hobbit,are you?

Dangerous55
Nov 18, 2003, 05:05 PM
I dont know the exact story behind Last Samurai, but from what I gather the Samurai do not like losing their culture to growing Japanese integration with the world. So they decide to fight the Japanese government, the Japanese government hires Tom Cruise to train the military. The Japanese Government troops have guns. The Samurai have swords.

Oh yeah, Last Samurai looks exactly like Dances with Wolves.

ROTK looks awesome on the other hand.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dangerous55 on 2003-11-18 14:10 ]</font>

Solstis
Nov 18, 2003, 06:33 PM
I hate to be the one to say it, but there's three (main) books:
LOTR, The Hobbit, and The Silmarillion.

starhealer
Nov 18, 2003, 08:23 PM
Then there's the Book of Lost Tales and the Lays, which deal more with The Silmarillion and the History of Middle Earth than Lord of the Rings, per se...

DarthFomar
Nov 19, 2003, 02:59 AM
Uhhhhhh...Last Samurai...considering I'm a big asian culture fan.

From what I've seen this will be a pretty good movie. When I first heard about it...I thought to myself...Tom Cruise...a prisoner of war turned ally.

Sounded a lil strange, but when the trailers came out it all looked really good. Especially the props, like the armors. OMG...Onimusha Warlords anyone. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

SunScar
Nov 19, 2003, 06:40 PM
On 2003-11-16 01:57, Inu_Ranma wrote:
Hmmmm...let's see. A Ripoff of Shogun with poor use of Kan'ji or a movie which I've been waiting for since I read the book that it came from...

Both. Even a ripoff of Shogun still has the foundations that made one of my favorite books ever.

If you are talking about Shogun by James Clavells that is a good book. Anyhow, I am afraid to see The Last Samurai cause everyone is just making sword fighting gory movies now. (I don't mind gory but I do mind mindless gore) Return of the King is my pick, and it better get some DUE CREDIT. Those are some darn good looking movies.

Bradicus
Nov 19, 2003, 07:45 PM
Last Samurai = LOTR ROTK for people with ADD.