PDA

View Full Version : just how programmable is it?

ilr2000
Nov 18, 2003, 05:32 PM
Earlier today when I accidentally casted my Photon Blast for the third time, (in an attempt to use a Trimate.. and then dying after the PB cause I really needed that Trimate) I got to thinking about how to add shortcut buttons to PSO's horribly limited input. I looked around for programmable controllers with the thought of programming it to access the menue and use and item or cast a tech with one keystroke.

All of the controllers I found were extremely vague about the limits of its programmability. The notorious GeForce 2 controller looked the most promising, and since I remember hearing some of you folks talk about it... I was wondering if you could explain just how programmable the Geforce 2 is. Do they give you extra buttons, if so how many? Please... I'm SO desperate for extra keys here!!!

VioletSkye
Nov 18, 2003, 08:25 PM
On 2003-11-18 14:32, ilr2000 wrote:
Earlier today when I accidentally casted my Photon Blast for the third time, (in an attempt to use a Trimate.. and then dying after the PB cause I really needed that Trimate) I got to thinking about how to add shortcut buttons to PSO's horribly limited input. I looked around for programmable controllers with the thought of programming it to access the menue and use and item or cast a tech with one keystroke.

All of the controllers I found were extremely vague about the limits of its programmability. The notorious GeForce 2 controller looked the most promising, and since I remember hearing some of you folks talk about it... I was wondering if you could explain just how programmable the Geforce 2 is. Do they give you extra buttons, if so how many? Please... I'm SO desperate for extra keys here!!!

There anren't really any extra buttons outside of the TURBO, PROGRAM and a button labled M which is used to preform the whatever is programmed. The slowest turbo setting is generally used for recoboxing as the timing allows for a 3 hit combo easily. As for the PROGRAM button, there really isn't anything that would help you. You can set it to do combos if you want, but I find you have better control just doing the combos manually. So basically what I'm saying is that unless you plan on recoboxing, the Geforce 2 won't help your gaming experience at all.

Plus, they are kinda cheap feeling and very awkward to use because they are so big. The buttons are not nearly as responsive or well put together.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2003-11-18 17:26 ]</font>

polishedweasel
Nov 19, 2003, 03:59 AM
I wish I woulda known about the geforce before I wasted money on controllers.....damn.

ilr2000
Nov 19, 2003, 08:14 PM
well shit... anyone know of any controller that have useful programming abilities?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ilr2000 on 2003-11-19 17:14 ]</font>

BogusKun
Nov 19, 2003, 08:34 PM
Just get PSOep 1 and 2 for PC. Then do ALL the little things men can think of while drunk. Besides, it'll have server-GC friendly atm0sph3r3.

dark_agenda
Nov 19, 2003, 08:51 PM
here's a tip... only carry items that you need and arrange them in an order that makes sense. For example, put your trimates in the right order so that from the use item shortcut menu it's first. Then just leave it on the item menu. now all you have to do to use a trimate is hit R+Y, then A... I use this technique for both my HUnewearl and FOnewm (only with techs in this case) it works well.

ilr2000
Nov 21, 2003, 04:02 PM
On 2003-11-19 17:34, BogusKun wrote:
Just get PSOep 1 and 2 for PC. Then do ALL the little things men can think of while drunk. Besides, it'll have server-GC friendly atm0sph3r3.

Abandon my lvl 182 HUnewearl with 700 hours to start all over again on a game I don't even know the release date for!?

So how about dem controllers, eh?

On 2003-11-19 17:51, dark_agenda wrote:
here's a tip... only carry items that you need and arrange them in an order that makes sense. For example, put your trimates in the right order so that from the use item shortcut menu it's first. Then just leave it on the item menu. now all you have to do to use a trimate is hit R+Y, then A... I use this technique for both my HUnewearl and FOnewm (only with techs in this case) it works well.

Okay, but what if I need the speed of a trimate, but for just a scratch? I use a dimate right? No use in wasting a whole trimate...

And what about sol atomizers? Statuses are a bitch, and levels can have so many different status effects that carrying around all those cure units is more trouble than its worth. Sols will have to be on a button, cause R+y, down,down,down, A is so damn slow it's useless to try. Anti is WAY too slow for personal use.

So lets say we solve that earlier Dimate problem by putting it on R+A shortcut, eh? Sounds good, I got my Dimates for emergencies, and if I get knocked on my ass I have time to selected a trimate through the R+Y menue. So two of my R buttons are taken..

HUnewearl needs her techs. The only thing that makes her a HUnewearl and not a HUmar with evasion is her TECHS!! I got oooooone button left, and 9 techs to choose from. Oh the possibilities...

But there is that R menue for techs, I guess I could try and switch between them.. but that will slow me down even more, and the tech menu can only be arranged so that a few are within reasonable selecting distance.

And since I'm a Hunter, I'm gonna be switching up weapons alot depending on the situation. So I'm switching between my weapon menue, my item menue, and my tech menue all at once... making those menues even SLOWER and less reliable. Wow I just got a fucking PB.. bye bye R buttons. I swear, sometimes playing PSO is like teaching a German English, when you don't know German.

Soooooooooooo anyone know about programmable controllers?

BogusKun
Nov 21, 2003, 07:15 PM
Well first get rid of that funny lookin avatar (LOL jk).

No, I didn't say you had to BUT, what I mean is you could hack the PC version of the game of course due to it being released on the well ummm, PC?

Malkavian
Nov 22, 2003, 11:54 AM
You must learn to use R+Y menu. Is very useful, not as fast as direct buttons but it helps.

ilr2000
Nov 23, 2003, 12:21 PM
On 2003-11-22 08:54, Malkavian wrote:
You must learn to use R+Y menu. Is very useful, not as fast as direct buttons but it helps.

*rubs temples*

I probably use it more effectively than you. I'm not satisfied with it's abilities. I'm tired of repeating myself, so SCROLL UP and read some of my other posts where I comment about it.

dark_agenda
Nov 23, 2003, 03:26 PM
On 2003-11-21 13:02, ilr2000 wrote:

On 2003-11-19 17:34, BogusKun wrote:

Abandon my lvl 182 HUnewearl with 700 hours to start all over again on a game I don't even know the release date for!?

So how about dem controllers, eh?

On 2003-11-19 17:51, dark_agenda wrote:

Okay, but what if I need the speed of a trimate, but for just a scratch? I use a dimate right? No use in wasting a whole trimate...

And what about sol atomizers? Statuses are a bitch, and levels can have so many different status effects that carrying around all those cure units is more trouble than its worth. Sols will have to be on a button, cause R+y, down,down,down, A is so damn slow it's useless to try. Anti is WAY too slow for personal use.

So lets say we solve that earlier Dimate problem by putting it on R+A shortcut, eh? Sounds good, I got my Dimates for emergencies, and if I get knocked on my ass I have time to selected a trimate through the R+Y menue. So two of my R buttons are taken..

HUnewearl needs her techs. The only thing that makes her a HUnewearl and not a HUmar with evasion is her TECHS!! I got oooooone button left, and 9 techs to choose from. Oh the possibilities...

But there is that R menue for techs, I guess I could try and switch between them.. but that will slow me down even more, and the tech menu can only be arranged so that a few are within reasonable selecting distance.

And since I'm a Hunter, I'm gonna be switching up weapons alot depending on the situation. So I'm switching between my weapon menue, my item menue, and my tech menue all at once... making those menues even SLOWER and less reliable. Wow I just got a fucking PB.. bye bye R buttons. I swear, sometimes playing PSO is like teaching a German English, when you don't know German.

Soooooooooooo anyone know about programmable controllers?

Cry me a river man, I have a HUnewearl and switch between all three of the menus also... you just have to make a decision as to which ones are most important for the level you are playing in. I ALWAYs have dimates and di fluids on a button, these are essential, sol's are not as essential, so I put them in bottom R+Y Item menu, to use one i just hit UP and A... try the menus man, you won't believe how fast you can use them once you have been doing it for a while