PDA

View Full Version : should i buy pso on xbox?

dArKrEaVeR
Nov 19, 2003, 03:02 PM
I currently own pso on gamecube, i have an xbox and i am debating whether i should buy the pso xbox version of the game, is there a significant difference or are they both similar more than they are different?

HUnewearl_Meira
Nov 19, 2003, 03:12 PM
XBox offers a few nice features like VoiceChat and the ability to patch cheats, but the GameCube tends to get features sooner. Personally, if I had an XBox as well, I'd be playing both versions so I could get the best of both worlds.

Arakon
Nov 19, 2003, 03:29 PM
one major problem (at least for me) is that the xbox version is limited to their country servers.. i.e. EU pso can ONLY play on EU servers, not with US people or JP people.
plus, as mentioned above, it gets stuff much later, and has a lot more hackers/cheaters cause the xbox is so "open" to hacking.

GuerillaPimp
Nov 19, 2003, 04:30 PM
actually the xbox is about the same as the GC as the hacking/cheating. Since the Xbox has a harddrive, they can patch the bug and ultimately, put an end to it, but they refuse to for money reasons

A2K
Nov 19, 2003, 05:45 PM
^ Yes, many client-side bugs and exploits that couldn't be fixed on the Gamecube version of the game due to a lack of enough storage media are patched on the Xbox version. Not everything is, though so cheating is about the same as GCN, actually--nothing too pervasive. I don't know the details about that, personally, though.

The quests are lagging a bit, but are catching up quickly. West Tower and an Xbox exclusive quest have been recently added to PSOXJP and should be over on these shores soon. "Central Dome Fire Swirl", a download quest that was on DC Version 2, is currently Xbox exclusive as well.

Then you have voice chat and player feedback and all that XBL stuff.

ThaRealest
Nov 19, 2003, 05:54 PM
Wow xbox has patches? So there is no duping in xbox?

SpyroDi
Nov 19, 2003, 06:00 PM
Where have you been? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

It's still possible to dupe,I only know three ways to do it but you need separate hardware.

Krank40oz
Nov 19, 2003, 06:02 PM
yea but that also decreses the chances of people doing it since uits much harder. Yea the voice chat would be kinda cool , and i wouldnt mind that and the abiloty for patches like other people said is also great since they can change glitches and also add new things and such MAYBE!

ShadowFOrce
Nov 19, 2003, 06:28 PM
I wish I had gotten it on Xbox, but you also have to pay for Xbox live and PSO which sucks

Krank40oz
Nov 19, 2003, 06:35 PM
Ummm dude once u pay for xbox live pso doesnt have a monthly fee, u just pay for the live!

HUnewearl_Meira
Nov 19, 2003, 06:47 PM
On 2003-11-19 15:35, Krank40oz wrote:
Ummm dude once u pay for xbox live pso doesnt have a monthly fee, u just pay for the live!

You certain about that?

jello44
Nov 19, 2003, 07:20 PM
erm, xbox pso has a 9 dollar a month fee.

I would get it, you probably get it for like 20 bucks used now. Which isn't so bad.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jello44 on 2003-11-19 16:22 ]</font>

kevlar_pso
Nov 19, 2003, 08:43 PM
[quote]Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On 2003-11-19 15:35, Krank40oz wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You certain about that?

Dude, I have both, and play both. Well, after I pick up my copy of Mario Kart. . . . .lol. I am paying for the hunter's license and xbox live. If any of ya'll had read any of the news about epII for the xbox before it came out. You would have seen that you are paying double. Once for live and again for PSO. I have some issues w/that. Like when I go to play a quest there aren't as many as when I go to play a quest on the Gamecube!!! They only put up all the challenges w/in the past several weeks. And they finaly got the east tower quest which u need for your S rank. Also, it is hard to get challenge mode games going. No one really knows what's up w/c-mode. Which is really sad cause they are missing out big time! If and when you get on, maybe we can start a C mode revolution! lol
Ranting aside, the voice chat is cherry. Much smoother communication that the keyboard controller. Plus if you wanna hook up your pc's kb, all u pay for is the shipping and viola, mail is no longer a problem. There is a slight voice lag tho. It can get a lil annoying, but none the less, communication is still way better than on the Gamecube. Hardly any dupers thanx to the patch, but the xbox has it's own problems. No lev 1300 mags to speak of, but you can equip al rappies as slots in your armor. Which significantly boost your atp. Haven't heard of any multi-equipers thanx to the patchor maxers come to think about it. Oh yea, and you don't hafta search thru your entire list to see who all is online. You guild card list does it automatically for you!!! This is an awesome addition, u can see who is online, invite them to your game/lobby, or from say ghost recon. It is worth it. If u have live already, PSO is a no brainer to me.
I had PSO-X on reserve even tho I didn't get broadband for another month! Trust me it is worth it. My gamertag is here on my profile. So when you get live look me up and we'll roll together.

kevlar_pso
Nov 19, 2003, 08:45 PM
oh yea, for every1 responding to this thread, if you don[t have pso-x, don't draw conclusions that ain't true(pardon me I'm tired). get the facts straight

Sepheroth
Nov 19, 2003, 09:35 PM
as sad as it is, PSO-X does have an extra fee, that leaves you with around 50 dollars a year for live and 9 dollars a month for PSO. However, the xbox has voice chat and other stuff. I dont see how you GC playas can do without it! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif But it does have a big lag behind the gamecube with content, but I think things are finally getting in gear now that East/West tower are both almost completely set up (east tower not on certain ships, west tower not on state servers). I think it would be a good idea to get it, IMO. My gamertag is Lord Meatwad, so if anyone wants to play, send me an invite!

anwserman
Nov 19, 2003, 11:34 PM
Remember, the $50 for X-Box Live is in the same range as getting a GC BBA or a GC modem... you don't need to buy a modem/BBA with the X-Box since it has ethernet built in.

The nice thing about X-Box live is that it is a global passport for all online games, so you could play with a friend in PSO and switch to Unreal Championship or something. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Rogue100
Nov 20, 2003, 02:03 AM
I would say, if the only online game you are playing is PSO, then you should probably just stick to the GC version!

As far as the question of the prices of the two games, I would point out that, at least for the first year, the price difference would be negligible. On XBox, you pay $50.00 for the first year of Live, and then when you get PSO, you pay $9 a month, but you get the first two months of play free meaning $90 for one year's HL + $50 for a total of $140. On GC, there is no Live fee, but you do have to buy the internet adaptor for approximately $35 and you only get one month free meaning $99 for one year's HL + $35 for a total of $134. $6 over a year is not significant at all!

Remember, also, that with XBox Live, you also get access to other online games as well as a coherent gaming network!

AxemPunanny
Nov 20, 2003, 04:02 AM
Not to mention, there isn't a comparison to XBL and GCN online network, cuz GCN has nothing else but PSO. Even XBL is better than PS2 online network (albeit the EA licensing). 50/yr is worth the cost. The BBA for GCN has no use outside of PSO and Mario Kart system link.

It does hurt PSOX for not having as many ppl. That's could be the case because of a few different reasons (i.e. lack of regional servers, lack of consistent and timely updating online content, additional fee).

What I really like bout PSOX besides the voice chat (which does make a difference, specially in cmode), is the hard drive. On PSO, you don't have to worry about memory cards, only if you want to transfer chars from file to file (whether it's on the same or different xbox). Not to mention, having 4 different files, and 12 characters per file, that's up to 48 characters you can have; not saying you need that much. But if you like having alot of chars, that's a big plus. And check this, there's isn't the corruption problem with xbox. The only thing you'd have to worry bout is if your HDD goes wrong, which is as likely as any system going kapoot; which tends to happen more with first generation systems.

I wouldn't mind seeing you come on board, not just for PSO, but for the other XBL games. I welcome more ppl to play PSOX. Eventually, those same ppl will play other XBL games (i.e. Rainbow Six, Counterstrike, True Fantasy Online, Halo 2).