PDA

View Full Version : I just dont get it!!

ilr2000
Nov 20, 2003, 10:34 AM
I don't mean this thread to be a bash on ep 3, but I just want to know why you guys like this game so much!!! I mean... the most exciting level of interactive gameplay you're ever going to do is navigate a menue. But personally I would rank walking around the virtual lobbies slightly more interesting, because you're actually doing something then. What's the appeal with the menues!?!?!?

Okay, so I'll admit... I like solitair just as much as the next video gamer. I mean, back when we all got PCs for the first time and we didn't have any games yet, solitair ROCKED!! Sure we've got games now, but solitair is still good. I guess you've got that for ya, but I still don't understand the fascination.

And I noticed they had all of these stats on the cards and squares that you move around in and such... and I got to thinking: "Wow... what a really interesting way to simulate movement on the battle field".. but then I got to thinking: "Why would I want to simulate movement on the battle field?" You guys selection an option on the menue that says "move mah dude this way", I just hold up on the control stick. If there's something I'm missing or just can't see... let me know!

I really don't want to sound mean, I just want to know why people are clammoring all over this game. It doesn't make sense to me.. please explain it!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ilr2000 on 2003-11-20 07:36 ]</font>

rena-ko
Nov 20, 2003, 10:52 AM
honestly. if you want to be pursued into liking that game, forget it.
if you just want to rant that you dont see how you'd gain any interest in that game, forget about buying it. its better for you.

thing is, if youre bored go level in ep1-2 instead of asking stuff noone knows right now.

most people buy ep3 because its something new, its still related to PSO and you could also name FFTA a "boring menu clicking" game. sure it is a menubased game but that doesnt make it boring.
in case you miss to see, thats the difference between action RPG and strategic RPG.

peace.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rena-ko on 2003-11-20 07:53 ]</font>

Satine
Nov 21, 2003, 04:00 PM
I agree, I'm not really sure where Sega is coming from with this game. At this rate I'm expecting there to be a PSO Episode IV C.H.E.S.S. Wars that follows. Let's just slowly drain away all the elements of the game that so many people have grown to love until there's nothing left, yeah great idea. :/

Personally, I would have taken the existing game and added more techniques, character classes, customizable items such as S-Rank Armors, with various visual effects you could assign to them, Mags you could name or even upload to your GBA and feed while you're on the go then upload back into the game. There's just alot of really interesting things they could have done rather than making a card game out of this.... Go Fish

-Satine

Zebulan7
Nov 21, 2003, 06:02 PM
No, the next PSO is
Phantasy Star Online Episode IV: P.I.N.B.A.L.L. revolution

I like Ep3 because you have to think. You don't have to rely on stats or weapon stats to win. You could win with a handgun or a bkb. This is not a game of run, hit, run, hit, hit, hit, heal, run. You have to think when the right time to s/d/j/z and such.

I like the ideas about Mag raising on GBA and such, but that is not Ep3. Ep3 is its own game, with its own ideas. ST wanted a stradegy game and is now making one. Maybe they want a chnge like I do in a way.

Besides, the beta is a hard thing to base opinions on. Cards had "sample" on them for a reason. We will find out what Ep3 is like next week. Reviews in magazines is an opinion. You must make your own decision when you play it. Maybe I won't like the end result, maybe so. I will find out when I play it.

Everyone likes things differently. I like stradegy games like FFTA and Adv. Wars or Fire Emblem. This is why Ep3 appeals to me. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Hopefully P.I.N.B.A.L.L. won't happen. I hate pinball games. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_bash.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zebulan7 on 2003-11-21 15:02 ]</font>

RavenTW
Nov 21, 2003, 09:12 PM
Really? I thought it was gonna be called P.O.N.G. Revolution.

Ep. 3 does something PSO has nenver done before: placed some strategy in the actual combat. Oh yeah, and it also allows players to use monsters instead of weapons. Either way, it's absolutely cool to see Sonic Team take PSO in another direction.

A2K
Nov 21, 2003, 09:19 PM
People like to think. There's your damn appeal. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

ilr2000
Nov 22, 2003, 12:22 AM
On 2003-11-21 15:02, Zebulan7 wrote:

I like Ep3 because you have to think. You don't have to rely on stats or weapon stats to win. You could win with a handgun or a bkb. This is not a game of run, hit, run, hit, hit, hit, heal, run. You have to think when the right time to s/d/j/z and such.

No thinking, eh? Then think about this: A pack of five lilies beam in all at once, all armed with megid. Should you use a tech on them? That could work, but then you garantee being paralyzed. If you didn't think ahead and bound antipalarysis to a button, you'd be having a hard time. Or you could have thought to make your dark resistance so high that they become more harmless than the lilies in normal mode. People may scoff at this example, but they should hold their tongue... It's a very easy situation to overcome using some strategy, but I've seen so many people die from lilies I've started thinking that most people aren't even capapible of simple strategy.

We can also think about the kind of weapons to use from a moment to moment basis. If your far fromt he group and they're taking on a pack of enemies, would you simply try and cath up to them? Heavens no! Use a slicer! You'd really have to think these things out before you realized that, since slicers aren't practical in most situations. It's a special case weapon... all of the weapons are special case weapons. Any who walks around with just a BKB and nothing else is severely cutting down their character's potential. All it takes to realize that potential is some thinking and strategizing.

It makes me want to ask, has anyone ever thought of strategizing in a PSO game? Hasn't anyone ever thought "gee I wish that FO would give better coverage so I dont have to waste my sols" or the reverse "Gee I wish that hunter would direct the enemies away so I have time to cast a thing or two". We already know so much about the game, all of us can deduce new strategies instantly... but you have to do it! If you talk it out, the hunter will cover the FO, who will cast more anti, resulting in the Hunter replacing his sol button with something more useful, like a trap/tech attack...

But we hardly see stuff like that, because that would require thinking. It's the people, not the game. If they dont want to think in PSO3 then they'll find some way to side step it again. Don't bash the game's strategy just because it's audiance flattens it out.

On 2003-11-21 15:02, Zebulan7 wrote:
Hopefully P.I.N.B.A.L.L. won't happen. I hate pinball games. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_bash.gif

To think I said the same about card games... Hopefuly you didn't curse yourself like I did.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ilr2000 on 2003-11-21 21:24 ]</font>

SolRiver
Nov 22, 2003, 02:46 AM
pso ep3's thinking compare to the old pso's thinking is like...

chess vs mario
mario games just dont require nearly as much thinking as chess does, to win that is.

In pso ep3 u going to be force to think and predict what opponent is thinking. While pso ep1+2 dont go into that field.

So in terms of thinking and strategy... it is clearly that ep3 beat ep1+2 big time.

RavenTW
Nov 22, 2003, 07:18 AM
*run's through ilr's checklist*

How to take down lillies: Since I'm an android, paralysis and poison are foreign concepts, so I'd get in the fray of the Lillies so none of them would use Megid and all try to bite me instead, then I'd lay a confuse trap, then I'd let them alaughter themselves, with a couple Chain Sawd hits for XP.

What weapons to use: Double Cannon, Chain Sawd, Suppressed Gun, Double for big annoying enemies, Sawd for many big annoying enemies, and Gun for far-off big annoying enemies. I would use the Slicer, but they're too slow for my taste.

Either way, Ep. 3 requires far higher IQs than 1&2.

Zebulan7
Nov 22, 2003, 09:28 AM
You just have to think in a different way than in 1+2

I also like how online you can be all classes. You no longer have to spend tons of time building up a force and then start all over again for a hunter. You can also be bad. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/eviltongue.gif

All this adds a different variety than avaliable in 1+2

I am conserned about quest. How will they be played out? Will there be different elements to bettle? Such as in the Nights into dreams quest. You had the help of those light, thingys. Will something else like that be in Ep3 quests?

I also hope for more than eight areas. The areas obviously are less complicated than in 1+2 so there should be more, to extend the play.

What is it with the cut scences? All comic book and all... I hope there is a good plot that needs all that explaining because nobody ever read the records left by Red Ring Rico, and at the beginning of quests everyone speeds through the explanation.

But please nooooooooooo P.I.N.B.A.L.L. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_no.gif

Malkavian
Nov 22, 2003, 12:27 PM
I'm in the Episode 1&2 side but I respect Episode 3.
I prefer always an action game than a turn based one. And I don't think turn based games are more for think and strategy. Is only that since is slow you have more time for think deeper. In PSO we must be always analyzing the situation and have a fast reaction. Probably one thing is reaction and the other is think a deeper plan. Concluding, I don't think in Episode 3 we'll have to think more. Probably think in a different way.

I like more Episode 1&2, yes. But I think Episode 3 will be a good game and I'm happy with what Sonic Team has done. Episode 3 is not a replacement for our loved PSO is an addition!! Same servers, same hunters license.
I guess many times I'll be playing Episode 1&2 and after soem games me and my friends will say "what next?" "a card game?" OK!!!
We'll change discs, reconnect and play an Episode 3 card game. And everyone happy http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

-STE-
Nov 22, 2003, 01:51 PM
Cant compare ep 1 2 to ep 3 is different games like Mario 64 vs Mario Golf : P

metermore
Nov 22, 2003, 02:42 PM
peple are saying that Ep1&2 is an action game but did any one stop and think that it is the addiction that drives that game.

I mean sitting in front of a tv pressing the same botton over and over for 3 hours cant be comptly enjoible after awhile. and i ment no offence

Delsaber
Nov 22, 2003, 09:54 PM
Honestly, what in the hell does it matter if a person likes a game that you do not. It isn't like its a big deal. If you do not like the idea of EP3 then don't play or complain or ask why, there is no reason. It is like asking me why I like to eat, I don't know why, I just do..