PDA

View Full Version : To you Gurus (Barubary?)

anwserman
Nov 27, 2003, 12:54 AM
I need help with my laptop!

Doing routine maintaince with my laptop - a Dell Inspiron 1100 with Windows XP Home. I went to Windows Update and downloaded all of my Critical Updates and Service Packs. I installed them, and chaos started to form, wreaking havok with my D-Link DWL-G650 wireless PCMIA networking card.

The system freezes up at random intervals (if the NIC is in the PCMIA slot).

Now, this has never happened before I updated Windows, so I tried using System Restore - and I found out that I cannot return my computer to an earlier date. So, I'm screwed there. I downloaded the latest drivers for the NIC card from my main computer, burnt them to CD and installed them on the laptop with no avail. I uninstalled the new drivers (and essentially the card), put the card in and I installed it with the original drivers that came with the installation CD. Still doesn't work. So, I'm sitting here with an essentially broken laptop (which is my mom's actually so she's pissed that I messed around with it... "you don't fix what isn't broken....") that freezes whenever the wireless NIC card is inserted.

Now, here comes the kicker.
IT TYPICALLY WORKS FINE WHEN I'M NEXT TO MY WIRELESS ROUTER!

Unforunately, the room the laptop is kept in is upstairs, and the router is in the basement. Thing is, we didn't have this problem at all until I installed the updates. So, that makes me believe that Microsoft screwed up a patch (no, really?) that is causing the drivers for the NIC card to go haywire. Unfortunately, contacting tech support costs a whole lot of money - which I might have to do.

Another thing I should mention is that when I was upstairs working on the laptop - testing it out in various places around the house to see how well it works - in the laptop's room, NIC card wasn't removed, computer was surfing the internet quite fine at the time (I put the NIC card in right next to the router in the basement, then I went upstairs and plopped into the chair to test out the laptop). I surfed the internet for a bit with no hiccups, and then I used the Safely Remove Hardware feature (or whatever its called), and successfully removed the card. I pit it in again after about 15 seconds, and BAM! I got a BSOD... surprisingly.

There is a problem with your computer and Windows has shut down to prevent any damage to your computer.

This problem could be caused by a bad device driver. Please... (yada yada yada).

BAD_POOL_CALLER
0x000000C2 (it ends with C2, forgot how many zeros.)

Turn off the computer, turn it back on again and Windows loads up normally - and says it has recovered from a serious system error. I send the debug report (since the NIC card was connected to the wireless network in our house... somehow), transferred the report. The website analyzed the report and determined that it was caused by a unknown device driver. It said to click the link to for more information, and I did and the laptop froze again - no mouse movement, just your typical computer hang. Screen completely stationary.

So, I'm stuck. I called D-Link, the manufacturer of my card, and they said that I should try to remove the drivers from my system, download the latest ones, install them again. Well, I can guarentee that it won't work since I already tried that. I've searched Microsoft's site, and the only thing about the stop error is that it says "how to debug the file" to see which driver is causing the problem. No need to do that since I know its the D-Link NIC card, since removing the card gets rid of any problems I might be having.

So, I'm thinking I might have to reformat the laptop and start over from scratch and not install any security updates (it shouldn't be that big of a deal since my mom is using the laptop primarely, and I would have a firewall on the computer to help prevent intruders), but I don't want to spend the hours sitting there, getting something to work again that should have stayed working in the first place.

God, MICROSOFT SUCKS. Any suggestions?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: anwserman on 2003-11-26 22:01 ]</font>

metermore
Nov 27, 2003, 11:11 AM
im 11 so only think about my thoerys

1. put put to much crap on ur comp mabey more than you thought

2.the router is in the basment i also have the same thing linkis (however its spelt) and have you ever tryed starting up with it in?

3.if all comes to the worst go and hit the delet key right when it starts up and u can probally go form there

4.A and your last resort put the operating system CD into it at the beeging
4.B if you have another comp do the same but with a floopy disc you might need to do some searching roud the web thoough

and finaly hackers wouldn't really be albe to help you in this stitation no offence anyone

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: metermore on 2003-11-27 23:33 ]</font>

Aunt_Betty
Nov 27, 2003, 11:17 AM
Dude, just get a MAC.
And metermore get off my icon! And cheese is mine.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kokekirby on 2003-11-27 08:19 ]</font>

KaFKa
Nov 27, 2003, 11:17 AM
i think you should just reformat the computer, unless someone like Baru has a better way of fixing it

KodiaX987
Nov 27, 2003, 11:33 AM
Indeed, formatting would be something to consider. Of course, it's always a good idea to check up with tech support beforehand.

LamerPanda
Nov 27, 2003, 05:09 PM
Dude, just get a MAC.

Yes, everyone has the money to go out and buy a new computer every time their old one has a problem!

I went to Windows Update and downloaded all of my Critical Updates and Service Packs. I installed them, and chaos started to form, wreaking havok with my D-Link DWL-G650 wireless PCMIA networking card.

Windows Updates do tend to screw up more things than they fix, though, it killed Windows on my computer and I lost 4 or 5 years worth of various files and 1,717 songs (most of them legal, dammit) because they were in the Windows folder. x_x What's really ironic is that I hid them there so my brother wouldn't delete them because he's a jerk sometimes. u_u...

Tried reinstalling Windows itself? Not restoring it, and not reformatting the whole thing, just reinstalling Windows.

I'm not sure what you'd do on Windows XP because I have ME, as crappy as ME is it still has DOS to restore from. If you could completely reinstall Windows without reformatting, it should leave everything on the hard drive, though you'll have to reinstall anything that has files in the Windows folder (more things do than I ever realized, unfortunately).

The security updates are no big loss, anyway. x_x

polishedweasel
Nov 27, 2003, 05:35 PM
Yup, reformat, mine did it too. It takes about an hour to do it. Lots of fun!! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

LamerPanda
Nov 27, 2003, 06:42 PM
Psst, sometimes things other than reformatting work!

I really hate wiping my whole hard drive, kthx.

Wewt
Nov 27, 2003, 06:50 PM
Which is why I use two operating systems with multiple partitions http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

I've never come across any error like that before, though. Reformatting might be your only choice ;l

starhealer
Nov 29, 2003, 12:08 AM
On 2003-11-26 21:54, anwserman wrote:
I need help with my laptop!

Doing routine maintaince with my laptop - a Dell Inspiron 1100 with Windows XP Home. I went to Windows Update and downloaded all of my Critical Updates and Service Packs. I installed them, and chaos started to form, wreaking havok with my D-Link DWL-G650 wireless PCMIA networking card.

The system freezes up at random intervals (if the NIC is in the PCMIA slot).

Now, this has never happened before I updated Windows, so I tried using System Restore - and I found out that I cannot return my computer to an earlier date. So, I'm screwed there. I downloaded the latest drivers for the NIC card from my main computer, burnt them to CD and installed them on the laptop with no avail. I uninstalled the new drivers (and essentially the card), put the card in and I installed it with the original drivers that came with the installation CD. Still doesn't work. So, I'm sitting here with an essentially broken laptop (which is my mom's actually so she's pissed that I messed around with it... "you don't fix what isn't broken....") that freezes whenever the wireless NIC card is inserted.

That exact same thing happened to my roommate's laptop. The only difference was that hers wasn't wireless. She got around it somehow, but it took her about...three weeks. I would probably go with formatting it, though.

polishedweasel
Nov 29, 2003, 04:22 AM
On 2003-11-27 15:42, LamerPanda wrote:
Psst, sometimes things other than reformatting work!

I really hate wiping my whole hard drive, kthx.

Get one of those really big CDRs and save anything of value. Then wipe that bitch...

LamerPanda
Nov 29, 2003, 12:03 PM
If you can't get into Windows at all it can be difficult to save much of anything.

Really, though, reformatting is a waste of time if there's other possible ways of fixing it.

I should probably reformat mine sometime because it can't run scandisk or defrag it. XD And my monitor keeps flashing...

Time to get a new computer for Christmas, I'd say!

Temjin-On
Nov 30, 2003, 12:07 AM
Yea Get a Mac, or Linux. My macs coming by christmas i hope. and if not instead of my first car its my first mac!

Plus remember if you delete partition, replace it. I did this to my virus ridden 98 box and forgot to make a new partition and now when i try to boot up with the system recovery disk in floppy it askes for a password (which i dont know what it is) and after 3 guesses it lockes my system to please help me with that and heed my warning.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Temjin-On on 2003-11-29 21:14 ]</font>