PDA

View Full Version : is an xbox worth it?

googles
Nov 28, 2003, 12:50 AM
Thinking about geting an xbox. Is it worth buying one if i already got ps2 and gc?

Rep0
Nov 28, 2003, 12:57 AM
If you get XboxLive and some games with it, I guess it would be worth it. I haven't touched mine since Halo came out for PC.

edit:oh noes spelling

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rep0 on 2003-11-27 21:57 ]</font>

ABDUR101
Nov 28, 2003, 01:56 AM
I bought all the systems, and it was only worth doing because I like games that come out for all the systems.

So in effect, do any games on the X-box seem interesting to you? Have any friends that own an X-box and you can try?

Really just boils down to what kind of games you like and if X-box LIVE is any concern to you.

Ness
Nov 28, 2003, 09:24 AM
I have all three systems as well, but I play my Xbox the most.

A word of warning: Think twice before you get Morrowind because that game is very addictive. Also if you do get it, buy the Game of the Year Edition.

Hrith
Nov 28, 2003, 11:32 AM
On 2003-11-27 21:50, googles wrote :
Thinking about geting an xbox. Is it worth buying one if i already got ps2 and gc ?
No.

Inu_Ranma
Nov 28, 2003, 12:06 PM
Lol...I'd say that you should inspect the games, and see how many hours you could concievably spend playing them. If your hours of fun play are worth the price that you're paying, then go for it!

polishedweasel
Nov 28, 2003, 01:15 PM
Um. Yes...

Dangerous55
Nov 28, 2003, 01:40 PM
Sell the GC.

Inu_Ranma
Nov 28, 2003, 01:54 PM
Advice: Don't listen (or read) what insensible people/fanboys have to say.

Example of an insensible person: People using a thread in which someone wants to know whether they should buy a certain system (irrespective of other systems) to insert an insult towards other systems.

Example of a fanboy: A person who supports a single company-system no matter what and puts down all other systems. These people are actually kinda rare.

metermore
Nov 28, 2003, 01:55 PM
On 2003-11-28 06:24, Ness wrote:

A word of warning: Think twice before you get Morrowind because that game is very addictive. Also if you do get it, buy the Game of the Year Edition.

hes completly right i got it for PC cant stop and its not ever game of the year

Ness
Nov 28, 2003, 02:01 PM
On 2003-11-28 10:40, Dangerous55 wrote:
Sell the GC.

No way, man. The GC is a sweet system too (not was sweet as Xbox, of course).

Dangerous55
Nov 28, 2003, 04:21 PM
On 2003-11-28 11:01, Ness wrote:

No way, man. The GC is a sweet system too (not was sweet as Xbox, of course).

Whatever, it isnt worth money though.

Skett
Nov 28, 2003, 04:41 PM
Asking a online board is somewhat dumb because of the hundreds of fanboys that resident, waiting for the moment to strike. That and because of different tastes.

For example, I like my GCN because it has games I like (and for the hope that Nintendo will create a proper Yoshi's Island sequel). On the other hand, there is little Xbox games that interest me. I didn't like Halo that much and many of their biggest games dont seem to suit me.

So telling you to buy an Xbox because I might like it is like telling someone to play on a basketball team when you are good at and like baseball. Hope that helped (eh, doubt it) Just look at the games.

AUTO_
Nov 28, 2003, 04:52 PM
If you have lots of money and plan on getting XBOX-live, yes.

If you're not going to get XBL...XBOX is basically an enourmous paper-weight.

Emphasis on paper-weight.

Wewt
Nov 28, 2003, 07:22 PM
Buy it and use it for the Xvid and DivX functions.

Ness
Nov 28, 2003, 07:36 PM
On 2003-11-28 16:22, WWWWWWWWWWWW wrote:
Buy it and use it for the Xvid and DivX functions.

You can do that on an Xbox?

Wewt
Nov 28, 2003, 07:47 PM
Yes you can. With certain modifications, of course. Useful if you have a slow PC.

Ness
Nov 28, 2003, 07:48 PM
On 2003-11-28 16:47, WWWWWWWWWWWW wrote:
Yes you can. With certain modifications, of course. Useful if you have a slow PC.

Ah, I don't modify my consoles so i wouldn't know.

RuneLateralus
Nov 29, 2003, 01:25 AM
I say yes. Halo and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic are great must have games (and you don't have to worry about having a high end PC from what I heard about the PC versions), and there are a couple of other great exclusives like Panzer Dragoon Orta, DOA series, Ninja Gaiden (coming soon), and it sometimes has the better versions of games out on the other systems as well (Return of the King, Hunter: The Reckoning, Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance, Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, etc.).

Not to mention that you don't need a memory card.

Blue-Hawk
Nov 29, 2003, 02:23 AM
On 2003-11-28 22:25, RuneLateralus wrote:
I say yes. Halo and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic are great must have games (and you don't have to worry about having a high end PC from what I heard about the PC versions), and there are a couple of other great exclusives like Panzer Dragoon Orta, DOA series, Ninja Gaiden (coming soon), and it sometimes has the better versions of games out on the other systems as well (Return of the King, Hunter: The Reckoning, Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance, Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, etc.).

Not to mention that you don't need a memory card.

Yes, but Halo and Star Wars are now available for the pc, with almost all bugs fixed. I say, see if there any games that you want that are xbox exclusive only. Not ones that are on other consoles as well, and deffinatly not ones that come out for the pc as well as the xbox because the pc versions are vastly superior. I, personally do not like the xbox, but I am not going to try and disuade you from getting one. I say, it's you're money, do what YOU want with it.

RuneLateralus
Nov 29, 2003, 04:17 AM
On 2003-11-28 23:23, blue-hawk wrote:
Yes, but Halo and Star Wars are now available for the pc, with almost all bugs fixed. I say, see if there any games that you want that are xbox exclusive only. Not ones that are on other consoles as well, and deffinatly not ones that come out for the pc as well as the xbox because the pc versions are vastly superior. I, personally do not like the xbox, but I am not going to try and disuade you from getting one. I say, it's you're money, do what YOU want with it.

As I already stated:

On 2003-11-28 22:25, RuneLateralus wrote:
Halo and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic are great must have games (and you don't have to worry about having a high end PC from what I heard about the PC versions)

The games are more for high end computers. Not everyone has one. Besides, they got the games later (a lot later in Halo's case). And not to mention that Half Life 2 and Doom 3 will be going to XBox only in terms of the console arena. A good amount of people will need to some upgrade if they even want to think about playing those games (myself included...here is hoping all I need is a new video card).

On an off topic note: Mmmm....Doom 3....*salivates intensly*

I love my little Baron of Hell pewter for pre-ordering.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RuneLateralus on 2003-11-29 01:25 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RuneLateralus on 2003-11-29 01:27 ]</font>

polishedweasel
Nov 29, 2003, 06:50 AM
Get the Xbox already. You'll love it!

Ness
Nov 29, 2003, 08:59 AM
You know what? I'm very surprised that this topic hasn't gone down in flames yet. Maybe all the fanboys have finally matured a bit.

Anyway.....

I still think you should buy and Xbox and here are a few game recomendations:

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Morrowind: Game of the Year Edition
Halo
Crimson Skies

Dangerous55
Nov 29, 2003, 10:10 AM
On 2003-11-29 05:59, Ness wrote:

Morrowind: Game of the Year Edition

You have to play that game to realize how wonderful it is.

Hrith
Nov 29, 2003, 10:31 AM
On 2003-11-29 05:59, Ness wrote :
You know what? I'm very surprised that this topic hasn't gone down in flames yet. Maybe all the fanboys have finally matured a bit.
Yeah, true...

XBOX IS CRAP, DO NOT BUY IT, IT IS SHIT AND SO ARE ITS GAMES !!!

Ness
Nov 29, 2003, 11:24 AM
On 2003-11-29 07:31, Kefka wrote:

On 2003-11-29 05:59, Ness wrote :
Yeah, true...

XBOX IS CRAP, DO NOT BUY IT, IT IS SHIT AND SO ARE ITS GAMES !!!

Looks like I spoke too soon.

Hrith
Nov 29, 2003, 01:18 PM
http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

googles
Nov 29, 2003, 01:23 PM
yea, one of the big reasons i am thinking about geting an xbox is because of xbox live. Only prob is i got no room to put it where my tv and other systems are lol. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Deathscythealpha
Nov 29, 2003, 01:42 PM
What type of games do you like? If your into platformers, original games (you know the wierd game syou can get) or Console style rpgs, swing away from the Xbox. Theres barely any of these types of game on the system at the minute. And if youve bought a PC in the last couple of years or so most of the games will be coming out on that aswell, so just buy for that.

At the minute all my Xbox seems to be doing is acting as a heavy DVD Player http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif I cant wait for some good games to actually come out on it (then again, i kinda feel like this with all my consoles at the minute)

Night_Shadow
Nov 29, 2003, 02:54 PM
BOO! XBOX SUCKS! BENDERS THE GREATEST!

Dangerous55
Nov 29, 2003, 03:17 PM
On 2003-11-29 10:42, Deathscythealpha wrote:
What type of games do you like? If your into platformers, original games (you know the wierd game syou can get) or Console style rpgs, swing away from the Xbox. Theres barely any of these types of game on the system at the minute. And if youve bought a PC in the last couple of years or so most of the games will be coming out on that aswell, so just buy for that.

At the minute all my Xbox seems to be doing is acting as a heavy DVD Player http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif I cant wait for some good games to actually come out on it (then again, i kinda feel like this with all my consoles at the minute)

Actually there are plenty of platformers for it. You can also say that there arent any "PC" style RPG's for other systems. X-Box has some great games, other features too, like the built in HD.

Ness
Nov 29, 2003, 04:52 PM
On 2003-11-29 10:23, googles wrote:
yea, one of the big reasons i am thinking about geting an xbox is because of xbox live. Only prob is i got no room to put it where my tv and other systems are lol. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Xbox live is pretty good.

Deathscythealpha
Nov 29, 2003, 05:36 PM
On 2003-11-29 12:17, Dangerous55 wrote:

Actually there are plenty of platformers for it. You can also say that there arent any "PC" style RPG's for other systems. X-Box has some great games, other features too, like the built in HD.

I know of Blinx and Sonic Heroes is soon to be out, but what other platformers are there?

Also alot of people are after RPG's that are more to the FF7 style of gaming, some people find PC Rpg's a little samey (hit thing, run away, heal, hit more things) even though i like Morrowind and Neverwinter NIghts myself, but its really just personal opinion really.

And the inbuilt hard drive on the Xbox is really cool, but i just cant find any games that i really want to play on the Xbox, and fable is taking an age...

Dangerous55
Nov 29, 2003, 05:55 PM
On 2003-11-29 14:36, Deathscythealpha wrote:

I know of Blinx and Sonic Heroes is soon to be out, but what other platformers are there?

Also alot of people are after RPG's that are more to the FF7 style of gaming, some people find PC Rpg's a little samey (hit thing, run away, heal, hit more things) even though i like Morrowind and Neverwinter NIghts myself, but its really just personal opinion really.

And the inbuilt hard drive on the Xbox is really cool, but i just cant find any games that i really want to play on the Xbox, and fable is taking an age...

Theres alot more them then 2, I cant think of any specific names. Doesnt Oddworld count? Thats only one, I gotta think I know there are more.

And turn-based games have spulse pounding fights?

Deathscythealpha
Nov 29, 2003, 06:51 PM
On 2003-11-29 14:55, Dangerous55 wrote:

Theres alot more them then 2, I cant think of any specific names. Doesnt Oddworld count? Thats only one, I gotta think I know there are more.

And turn-based games have spulse pounding fights?

Im not sure if Oddworlds a platformer or a puzzle game.

And the turn based games might not be the most exciting in the battles, but you do seem to get alot more character realationship going on between your character and the others. Most of the PC styled RPG's leave you as the main character with your own personality, so character bonds just dont seem right, or at least thats what i feel.

Dangerous55
Nov 29, 2003, 08:12 PM
On 2003-11-29 15:51, Deathscythealpha wrote:
Im not sure if Oddworlds a platformer or a puzzle game.

And the turn based games might not be the most exciting in the battles, but you do seem to get alot more character realationship going on between your character and the others. Most of the PC styled RPG's leave you as the main character with your own personality, so character bonds just dont seem right, or at least thats what i feel.

I would say platformer.

That what makes PC RPGs RPGs, not adventure games which is arguabley what FF's are.

Dark_Hadou
Nov 29, 2003, 10:01 PM
yes the xbox is worth it.
You can get TFLO(if you dont what this game is then your not a true RPG player)