PDA

View Full Version : The F-word (that's right...FUDGE) in Videogames

AUTO_
Dec 1, 2003, 03:10 PM
Am I the only one who didn't think that "fuck" couldn't be said in E-M rated games (not including any online games of course...or naming your character fuck)?

I used to think this was true, but apparently, the word "Fuck" can be said in videogames rated E-M.

My brother was hesitant about buying the new XIII game because EGM had given it some flack about lots of things.

He bought it anyways and the game is actually pretty fun, and I think EGM reviewed a preview copy (it was delayed)..

ANYWAYS...

So I was watching my brother play and during one of the snow levels the guard says something along the lines of:

"Now don't Fuck up"

It wasn't muzzled and they didn't put a sock in the AI's mouth when he said it--infact, XIII has captions of any in-game dialogue on the top of the screen. There it was, shining in...black letters.

"FUCK"

So spread the gospel, because the F-bomb can be said in M-rated games.

I guess the point of this thread is...

Have any of you played a game that has had the F-word in it with a ESRB rating of E-M?

XIII is the first I've seen.

In Twisted Metal Black Sweetooth about says it but is cut off...I'm not fascinated with the word...just thought this was interesting.

Fuck.

*Caring mother throws up her arms*

"WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF TEH CHILDREN?!"

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AUTO_ on 2003-12-01 12:14 ]</font>

BARTAmaster
Dec 1, 2003, 03:21 PM
What is the game rated and why does it get that rating? In Metal Arms:Glitch in the System they curse too. It is rated "T" for "strong language. Does 13 say that?

SpikeOtacon
Dec 1, 2003, 03:25 PM
XIII is an M rated game. Roughly the same rules of an R rated movie exist and are applied. Just watch any movie with Marlon Brando or Robert DeNero. Or better yet, that thanksgiving classic 'Planes, Trains, And automobiles'.

Deathscythealpha
Dec 1, 2003, 03:26 PM
What age rating would 'M' be classed as over here? Cause i know Max Payne 2 which has a '15' certificate over here has Max and other characters use 'f*ck' quite alot, i was quite surprised at how many times they got away with using it. I guess the world is just getting alot easier on the 'f' word.

AUTO_
Dec 1, 2003, 03:31 PM
On 2003-12-01 12:25, SpikeOtacon wrote:
XIII is an M rated game. Roughly the same rules of an R rated movie exist and are applied. Just watch any movie with Marlon Brando or Robert DeNero. Or better yet, that thanksgiving classic 'Planes, Trains, And automobiles'.

Games always get the shaft compared to movies though.

Media bitches about "graphic" games (dear god was Doom really that realistic?) that don't measure in the least to realistic movies.

A PG movie with mild language would get a T for language if it was made into a game.

I just never thought the F-bomb could be dropped in E-M games, because I always figured that if it COULD...we would be seeing it a lot more frequently...and XIII is the first game I've seen with the F-bomb.

Cause I mean...shouldn't the GTA games have had a couple "fucks" here and there?...Makes sense to me.

Maybe a new law was passed.

Thou shalt allow "fuck" in videogames.

SpikeOtacon
Dec 1, 2003, 03:42 PM
Well it depends on HOW much controversy a game maker wants his game to be. I mean, while the original Max Payne got it's fair share of controversy, The 'F' bomb was replaced by 'fudge' or 'lesser' words like damn and shit.
I myself do not believe in 'bad words' and think that Censorship is a bad Idea.
Common sense is that if you make such a big fuckin deal over a Damn word like fuck, then people will want to use it more often, causing parents groups to go nuts! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif
And you are right AUTO_, movies are treated much less than games. I would like to know why myself.

Bradicus
Dec 1, 2003, 03:47 PM
Bahamut Lagoon SNES (after defeating Lestat)
Lestat- F...Fuck *dies*

Ogre Battle 64
Some chick- You motherfucker, you made my shit list!

polishedweasel
Dec 1, 2003, 05:45 PM
Well, I remember in resident Evil for gamecube, Jill says "Shit" when her walkie talkie dies. That's just my peice of the story, I don't mind profanity, just as long as its not out of context and overused. Like in Southpark, when the "Shit" Episode was going on. That was fun...

Allos
Dec 1, 2003, 05:53 PM
Has anyone played Manhunt????? I quote:

"I'm gonna fuck you up real good you god damn cock-sucker"

I'm serious. The language in this game is terrible.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Allos on 2003-12-01 14:56 ]</font>

Bradicus
Dec 1, 2003, 06:23 PM
I like the potty mouthed robot in metal arms... the *beep*s just make him more funny.

Shattered_weasel
Dec 1, 2003, 07:49 PM
On 2003-12-01 15:23, Bradicus wrote:
I like the potty mouthed robot in metal arms... the *beep*s just make him more funny.

So true.

Reenee
Dec 1, 2003, 09:02 PM

I DEMAND TO SEE THIS FUNNY TROGDOR YUO SPEAK UV!

KaFKa
Dec 1, 2003, 09:27 PM
On 2003-12-01 12:42, SpikeOtacon wrote:
And you are right AUTO_, movies are treated much less than games. I would like to know why myself.

i think its the fact that it's more "on demand" and also since it's interactive and something that the kids actually participate in... just trying to figure it out...

Jeff86
Dec 1, 2003, 09:47 PM
The game Die Hard Vendetta uses the word F***. Its not used much, just occasionaly when John(I think thats his name) talks. Like: "Shut the f*** up" or "I'm gonna f***ing kill you"

NKOTB
Dec 1, 2003, 09:47 PM
Allos took the words right out of my mouth.

Manhunt for PS2 sets a standard for most severe and most often bad words in a game that will probably never be beat.

SpikeOtacon
Dec 1, 2003, 09:54 PM
Manhunt was on the Dreamcast first, btw.

_Sinue_
Dec 2, 2003, 12:09 AM
Peg Leg Peggy from LSL7 was the first game character I ever hear really let loose with cussing in an M rated game. It's done for comedic effect.. but it's still there. Her standard greeting is "Hello Shithead".

Then again, there was cartoon nudity in the Easter Eggs, and a small bit of cartoon intercourse (comedic, not raunchy.. but it's there) at the very end if you complete the "Where's Dildo" mini-game.

This was back in 1997 - so I'm not surprised to see "F word" being used in M rated games today. In fact.. LSL1 would also have been rated "M" by todays standards.. and it was cussing back in 1988.

Aunt_Betty
Dec 2, 2003, 12:50 AM
*cough* rants *cough*

AUTO_
Dec 2, 2003, 08:46 PM
On 2003-12-01 21:50, Kokekirby wrote:
*cough* rants *cough*

???

Where do you get off on this being a rants thread?

I'm not offended and I don't object to the subject at hand.

Rants?

Abaddon
Dec 4, 2003, 08:00 AM
Tales of Phantasia http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Klarth: "Mint has that quite elegance about her, but I bet Arche fucks like a tiger."
PC: "Klarth! I can't beleive you just said that!"
Klarth: "If I were to take one under the sheets, which one would you rather I took?"

And so on and so on http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

AUTO_
Dec 4, 2003, 05:44 PM
Ok, I just played Manhunt and have decided to give it the "Bad Language Award".

Holy ##&*#@! #$*&@#! #*$&@*! #@*$@#*^! #@*$&ers!

Dime
Dec 4, 2003, 09:41 PM
DOn't like bad language? Well then, you're a pussy. There's too much cnesorship already.

Fuck.

Bradicus
Dec 4, 2003, 09:56 PM
On 2003-12-01 18:02, Reenee wrote:

I DEMAND TO SEE THIS FUNNY TROGDOR YUO SPEAK UV!

clicky! (http://www.metalarms.com/ma_files/media/trailer/voicetests.html)
just listen to one of the Krunk ones http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif
you'll see what i mean.

soccerdudegy
Dec 23, 2003, 09:53 PM
Ok, I just played Manhunt and have decided to give it the "Bad Language Award".

Holy ##&*#@! #$*&@#! #*$&@*! #@*$@#*^! #@*$&ers!

I agree with you there

DOn't like bad language? Well then, you're a pussy. There's too much cnesorship already.

Fuck.

Well let's see...there is no point to this post. Very little use of grammar, and definitly an opinion.

Yes we have the DUMB DIME POST award here

ABDUR101
Dec 23, 2003, 10:03 PM
Don't bump old threads.