PDA

View Full Version : Site-addition: to the web admins and people of PSOW

dark_agenda
Dec 1, 2003, 04:54 PM
To the web admins here at PSOW,

Read on and tell me what you think of this proposal. I'm a web programmer for a living and I specialize in flash, PHP, SQL, and Java. I'm offering to do all of the work for this project (besides the screen captures because I don't have those capabilities on my GC) for nothing. I'm not asking for any special access to database tables or anything else that is the sole property of PSOW. I just want to create this on my server, give you guys the database table layouts and what not that would be needed to get this to work here, and let you guys implement it on your site. I'm not sure if I left my email on my profile or not, but just private message me and I'll give you my email to contact me.

To the people of PSOW,

Wouldn't it be cool to have an editable character profile in which you could choose the exact model of your character? I think it would be a fun idea. If you want more in depth information you can check out this post (http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=70306&forum=6&7) but here are the basic details of the idea:

There would be a character modeler created in flash. It would consist of screenshots or drawn images of the different costumes available to characters, what you would do is select the one that your character uses, adjust his/her proportions to fit, hair style, etc. until you get an almost exact replica of the character/s you play with. All of it would be optional, so no one has to render a character, but if you decide to you could create one or all of your character using the modeler. The modeler would save all of your specifics into a database associated to your account here on psow (i.e. if i'm on the message board and click dark_agenda's profile, I'll get to see all of the normal information he provided and I'll get to see a model of his specific characters) This idea could be adapted to be used signature specific, but tell me what you all think!

SpikeOtacon
Dec 1, 2003, 05:02 PM
Hey man, I'm all for it, as long as you give the admins some good reasons why this project would be a good idea other than it being 'cool'.
I MIGHT be able to help with screen captures, but I don't have a capture card nor a USB mem card.

dark_agenda
Dec 1, 2003, 05:11 PM
well, I hear a lot about people wanting specialized avatars, in a way, this could be a solution to not having the ability to get a specialized avatar. It could be a piece of PSOW that is customizable by the users and is available to all to see, which is on a similar level to personal avatars. It also applies directly to PSO and kind of brings the game to the website in a more personal way

SpikeOtacon
Dec 1, 2003, 05:30 PM
Now where exactly would this 'personalized character' go on display for all to see? My profile is a mess, and I barley have any REAL forms filled out and what not. I also feel that if you were to try to REPLACE avatars, you may anger some people.

dark_agenda
Dec 1, 2003, 05:38 PM
I wouldn't think of it as an attempt to replace avatars, it wouldn't have anything to do with the forums. it would be added to the profile page

SpikeOtacon
Dec 2, 2003, 03:33 PM
Well, like I said, I'm all for it, but perhaps you could throw together a demonstration?

dark_agenda
Dec 2, 2003, 05:10 PM
I plan on it, but think of this as more of a feasibility study to find out if the bulk of the community would be interested in this

KaFKa
Dec 3, 2003, 06:16 AM
yes, make it. im all for it, since the game creator is fun and all (i always have a slot open on my mem cards for those times i just feel like making a character for nohting http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif ) youshould make a demo version so we all can see how it works

Mystil
Dec 5, 2003, 02:20 PM
Depends on how the admins feel.

I however think it's a great helpful proposal.