PDA

View Full Version : 12/02-Server Maintainence

ERS
Dec 2, 2003, 02:08 AM
Tonight there was some server maintainence on the servers, I was playing Challenge mode on JP/Alcyone/6 at the time.. Around 1:00AM. The JP servers went down for a short amount of time before you could get back on them. After you could get on the servers, myself and some other people (Shake, etc) were trying to find out what was updated, but we couldn't find anything new.. No new quests or anything. After we got to Alcyone 6 again we saw some games entitled with EPII Challenge, but no one could do that either.

Does anyone know what the update was, or was this just usual/monthly maintainence to the server? Or was it something to do with EPIII?

Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Thanks

KaFKa
Dec 2, 2003, 02:14 AM
they did a memory patch. let me xplain shortly...

in a sever-side game where there is normal lag, the game drops some memory, making sever lag (which shouldnt happen) eventually, this gets so bad that the lag makes the game unplayable. (battle.net anyone?) so, they sometimes go into the servers and just patch up the memory leaks to stop the horrendousness of lag. that and they probably fixed a glitch that nobody had found yet.

ERS
Dec 2, 2003, 02:18 AM
Yeah, that makes sense.. Also, a lot of people on Alcyone while I was there noticed something.. There was a double save. I hope Sega didn't put that back in..

Barubary6
Dec 2, 2003, 02:21 AM
Nope, I know exactly why the server maintenance was done. Sonic Team locked out the free pumpkin quest from American users.

-- Barubary

KaFKa
Dec 2, 2003, 02:22 AM
...well, shit. there went my theory. and i wanted to feel special, why did you have to do that baru? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_cry.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: KaFKa on 2003-12-01 23:27 ]</font>

muff
Dec 2, 2003, 04:11 AM
On 2003-12-01 23:21, Barubary6 wrote:
Nope, I know exactly why the server maintenance was done. Sonic Team locked out the free pumpkin quest from American users.

-- Barubary

Good job I took advantage while I could.

BrokenHope
Dec 2, 2003, 04:20 AM
People on gamefaqs are reporting that they also put the double save back...

Deus-Irae
Dec 2, 2003, 04:42 AM
but the pumpkin quest hasnt been available for days now.

unless it was some temporary removal that is now permanent... (not that i know what im talking about)

AppieDPC
Dec 2, 2003, 05:06 AM
Deus-Irae
Barubary6 is talking about the special JPN 1.1 quest.
Which was made for Japanese people when they would have to transfer from JPN 1.0 to 1.1. In the transfer they would loose all their stuff among which the Pumpkin which they have gotten in the Cake Quest just 2-4 weeks before 1.1 was released.

For some reason that quest was uploaded on the USA servers and you were able access it if your language was set to Japanese. In this quest a lady would just give you the Pumpkin. No need to do that Halloween quest with the cakes or wait for a Hallo Rappy to drop from the sky in Temple.

Deus-Irae
Dec 2, 2003, 05:08 AM
thx. i know that though. it was take down days ago.

it hasnt been available for like a week. on all the servers i checked anyways (with PSO in Japanese).

drizzle
Dec 2, 2003, 08:55 AM
Yes, the double save is back. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Shake
Dec 2, 2003, 10:32 AM
Oh great, ERS and I got all excited over the double save coming back?

ERS and I usually stay up during the apocalypse [our nickname for server maintenance] and enjoy the first few hours of the new stuff being up. It's one hectic kind of night, but it can be really fun.

That's a shame...lots of people were hoping for ep2 challenge too.

Buuyon
Dec 2, 2003, 10:42 AM
On 2003-12-02 02:06, AppieDPC wrote:
Deus-Irae
Barubary6 is talking about the special JPN 1.1 quest.
Which was made for Japanese people when they would have to transfer from JPN 1.0 to 1.1. In the transfer they would loose all their stuff among which the Pumpkin which they have gotten in the Cake Quest just 2-4 weeks before 1.1 was released.

For some reason that quest was uploaded on the USA servers and you were able access it if your language was set to Japanese. In this quest a lady would just give you the Pumpkin. No need to do that Halloween quest with the cakes or wait for a Hallo Rappy to drop from the sky in Temple.

and no one told me this!? blah and d save is back? ok i hate you pso...you show that your coming back...then die...

EPYNON
Dec 2, 2003, 10:51 AM
does any one know why they would put the double save back. I mean everyone had positive feedback for removing the double save

Buuyon
Dec 2, 2003, 10:54 AM
i dont know maybe tring to corrupt the hackers? something dumb like that im sure!

EPYNON
Dec 2, 2003, 10:56 AM
but that doesnt corrupt hackers it hits more the normal ppl. In most cases the hackers dont play much they make the items then dupe them and hand them out. this really sucks if the D-save is back

Mixfortune
Dec 2, 2003, 11:59 AM
Maybe the double save is back because they never intended to remove it and somehow it had been accidentally removed. So they just put it back in. Heheh...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mixfortune on 2003-12-02 08:59 ]</font>

zimmk2vgc
Dec 2, 2003, 12:28 PM
Double save should be kept, one of Sonic Teams better inventions

muff
Dec 2, 2003, 12:31 PM
On 2003-12-02 09:28, zimmk2vgc wrote:
Double save should be kept, one of Sonic Teams better inventions

If thats not sarcasm, you have no idea what you are talking about.

The double save does nothing except corrupt memory cards. At first it was an anti-dupe method which worked. Then a way of duping 1000X safer, 1000X quicker came into play.

So why keep this when someone would rather do the easier, faster method anyways.

trypticon
Dec 2, 2003, 12:41 PM
I'm a bit confused over why they would reimplement the double save feature at all. It has already cost them money in terms of online players cancelling their hunters license over it, and also from the free month that they gave all online players in September due to the problems and complaints that the double save feature had caused.

(Due to the post below mine I just feel a bit more robbed from this stupid ass game then. As you can see from that post down there, I never heard that that the free time I thought I had gotten in relation to the double save had been a hoax)

I'm a bit speachless to find out it has come back after it was successfully removed. It makes no sense to me. Sonic Team knew very well that it didn't stop duplication at all, which was supposedly why it was originally put in. Sonic Team knew that it led to a great many of the character corruptions that have occured over the past thirteen months, leading to a ton of complaint letters, and a great amount of lost revenue to them. I guess I'm a bit surprised that Sonic Team would have chosen the course of putting it back in after everyone -EVERYONE- was happy it had been removed. Could its reintroduction to players have been a mistake while blocking Americans from accessing the free pumpkin quest? In all actuality, I wonder why Sonic Team blocked Americans from that quest at all, since getting the pumpkins that way is at least a legitimate method of doing so, and would be looked upon better than simply duping the things.

It seems Barubary understood what Sonic Team was trying to do last night with the server maintanance. Maybe he can tell us why the double save was put back in.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: trypticon on 2003-12-02 10:04 ]</font>

Auronius
Dec 2, 2003, 12:53 PM
On 2003-12-02 09:41, trypticon wrote:
I'm a bit confused over why they would reimplement the double save feature at all. It has already cost them money in terms of online players cancelling their hunters license over it, and also from the free month that they gave all online players in September due to the problems and complaints that the double save feature had caused.

http://www.pso-world.com/article.php?sid=1015
That was a hoax.

ilr2000
Dec 2, 2003, 04:00 PM
On 2003-12-02 09:53, Auronius wrote:
That was a hoax.

lmfao... the funny thing is that ST just can't take a hint! Even when people are hacking their message boards and posting fake official messages saying how bad the double save is... they STILL sit on their asses like dumb fucks.

Aurra
Dec 2, 2003, 05:19 PM
In my personal and oh-so-humble opinion, Sonic Team is the stupidest collective entity in existance.

I would bet my soul on the fact that any PSO player, even someone like Bruce Lee, would do a better job at running PSO than ST currently is doing.

Virtually everything Sonic Team has ever done regarding PSO defies all logic. When they first set up the double save, it didn't seem to be a problem. Then people quickly realized that the HUD loading causes the player to FSOD more frequently, and that's right when the save happens. Thousands upon thousands of letters to ST, and they leave it in the game. Now it's not even stopping duping anymore, thanks to the shop thing.

Finally, it's gone. We all think that ST finally realized that its only function was corrupting people, but wait! We should have known, Sonic Team is far too stupid to do something like "listen to complaints." Instead they put it back up days later, as if it were a good thing.

You know what ST? Fuck you. Your company is the least responsive and intuitive that I have ever come across. If the moon somehow fell from the heavens and landed on ST headquarters, I would throw a party. With strippers.

Jkid
Dec 2, 2003, 06:08 PM
On 2003-12-02 14:19, Aurra wrote:
In my personal and oh-so-humble opinion, Sonic Team is the stupidest collective entity in existance.

I would bet my soul on the fact that any PSO player, even someone like Bruce Lee, would do a better job at running PSO than ST currently is doing.

Virtually everything Sonic Team has ever done regarding PSO defies all logic. When they first set up the double save, it didn't seem to be a problem. Then people quickly realized that the HUD loading causes the player to FSOD more frequently, and that's right when the save happens. Thousands upon thousands of letters to ST, and they leave it in the game. Now it's not even stopping duping anymore, thanks to the shop thing.

Finally, it's gone. We all think that ST finally realized that its only function was corrupting people, but wait! We should have known, Sonic Team is far too stupid to do something like "listen to complaints." Instead they put it back up days later, as if it were a good thing.

You know what ST? Fuck you. Your company is the least responsive and intuitive that I have ever come across. If the moon somehow fell from the heavens and landed on ST headquarters, I would throw a party. With strippers.

Don't blame Sonic Team JP, blame Sonic Team USA. If the JP HQ knew about it if a boycott happened they would fire all ST USA personnel.

Riu_000
Dec 2, 2003, 06:51 PM
Well is there some sort of a way to let those ignorant fucks know this is happening? Damn I'm so mad right now...

AynRand
Dec 2, 2003, 06:52 PM
I am using pso plus and there doesnt seem to be doubel ssave on this

i also then went back to ver1.1 to test and there is a double save but on plus it isnt there

guess we r safe using pso plus http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

PJ
Dec 2, 2003, 06:52 PM
Is SOnic Team of Japan, the ones who actually make this game, this game that we play to have fun, the one we payed $60 (+ for HL), actually running the servers?

I highly doubt it. They are the ones making the games, like Billy Hatcher and Sonic Heros (That looks awesome, btw, as I've tried the demo). Do they have time to run the servers?

So who is really running the servers? (Of course I know ST still makes the quests... or did make them before they just started putting in old DC ones >.>)

Aurra
Dec 2, 2003, 07:15 PM
On 2003-12-02 15:08, Jkid wrote:
Don't blame Sonic Team JP, blame Sonic Team USA. If the JP HQ knew about it if a boycott happened they would fire all ST USA personnel.

I don't know who actually does the running of the servers, but whoever it is, they're bad at it. I've always known that ST (yes, I refer to whatever phantom runs the servers as ST, whether it be the JP or US division) was ignorant and lazy, but this is simply unacceptable. Trying to get things fixed on this game is like trying to reason with a blind, deaf mute. Sonic Team can rot in hell.

trypticon
Dec 2, 2003, 07:29 PM
Wait a second... That person up there just said that Epi$ode 1$2 plu$ doe$n't have a double $ave...

This suddenly sounds like a ploy from $T to get people to blow money by buying the same game over again.

Think about it, it almost makes sense. They take away the double save close to the same time epi$ode 1$2 plu$ is released in Japan. Then they put the double save back on our nice version here in the US. By the time 1$2 Plu$ hits US shores in February, word of mouth would have spread that the new version didn't have the double save in it.

It's like they took the double save off to remind us how nice the game was before it was put on, and hopefully to inspire a few of the people that had cancelled their HL because of it to come back to the game. But maybe they also did it to show us how nice their new fucking version is going to be without it.

Denny
Dec 2, 2003, 07:37 PM
Look on the bright side.

1. Xbox PSO doesn't have the dreaded (in the opinion of most of the GC owners) double save.

2. You GC owners can start looking to Episode 3.

I guess that's about all the positives that I can think of.

Shake
Dec 2, 2003, 09:00 PM
The people "running" the servers, are a handful of people from ST. I think each country handles their servers respectively, but I'm not sure. Most of these people probably don't worry about this stuff...

DOG21313
Dec 2, 2003, 10:13 PM
On 2003-12-02 16:15, Aurra wrote:

I don't know who actually does the running of the servers, but whoever it is, they're bad at it. I've always known that ST (yes, I refer to whatever phantom runs the servers as ST, whether it be the JP or US division) was ignorant and lazy, but this is simply unacceptable. Trying to get things fixed on this game is like trying to reason with a blind, deaf mute. Sonic Team can rot in hell.

You call em ST?

I call em STupid Team

WTF Were they thinking? I was just thinking I was so happy that I had survived my whole PSO career without getting corrupted cuz of Dbl Save, but now...

Theyre just stupid...

ElizaBluefull
Dec 2, 2003, 10:17 PM
I fear corruption. I FSOD'd 5x last week and survived, but now that the ds patch is back, and I have 56k, what can I do to avoid it from happening other than staying out of Corruption Palace Vega and avoiding crowded servers? I am sort of new to the online community despite my level (I had 300 hours offline) and I don't know much other than if it FSOD's during a save I am corrupted. And what's this about people being able to FSOD other people? If anyone has any info about this on past threads, I'll be happy to read it and try to avoid it all the more.

A2K
Dec 2, 2003, 10:26 PM
If you don't like it, then quit already. You're not convincing them that they suck by throwing more money at them every month, you know. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

ElizaBluefull
Dec 2, 2003, 10:34 PM
It's my first month online, and I am hoping to get broadband so I'm not susceptible to it as much. And I will never go to Vega. If I do get corrupted, I will start over like everyone else, and I have backup FOs that are lv 40 (FOmar Ilpalazzo [Viridia] and FOmarl Rynne [Purplenum]) just in case this crap ever happens, not to mention my itemholders that keep all of my rares when Eliza, Domon, Vash, or Lady AmberJo are not using them. I do fear corruption, but if it happens I can't do much other than the tricks to try to stop it from killing Eliza.

trypticon
Dec 2, 2003, 10:38 PM
It seems you are already doing a few things correctly, such as keeping all your good stuff on dummy characters on another memory card. Here are a few other things you can do that will help you avoid corruption almost completely. I wrote them down in a post a few down from this, but I don't mind writing it again for anyone that missed it.

Don't put any other gamecube game data on the same memory card as your PSO game data.

Don't make games in busy lobbies. Though this really isn't much of a problem anymore, some people might still experience problems with it.

If you are going to be doing challenge on Alcyone 6, don't join challenge games with more than two people in them already. You don't want to end up joining the room at the same time another player does. That has led to corruptions in the past as well.

Don't pull, bump, rip, tear, snatch, anything with the memory card while the gamecube is turned on.

If you FSOD in a game, then disconnect the internet connection from the gamecube, pop open the top of the gamecube, wait thirty seconds, and then turn the gamecube off. While this never did much of anything for me, some people swear by it.

If you do fsod between saves while entering a game, I have heard that popping the lid of the gamecube open, pulling out the memory card, and turning the gamecube off can save it. I'm doubting this totally, and I was never able to save my characters at any one of my corruptions, but a few friends have said it saved them.

And of course, don't despair. There are a lot of people online that would be more than happy to help you level up again, and replace or help you find all your rares again if you do corrupt.

Buuyon
Dec 3, 2003, 01:52 AM
On 2003-12-02 13:00, ilr2000 wrote:

On 2003-12-02 09:53, Auronius wrote:
That was a hoax.

lmfao... the funny thing is that ST just can't take a hint! Even when people are hacking their message boards and posting fake official messages saying how bad the double save is... they STILL sit on their asses like dumb fucks.

actully i know what happend with that...it was one of my pso friends that did it...he was like mad that day and typed in adminhelp as the username and some random password and something came up that was saying that the username wasnt activated please type in your email adress for the activation (somehting along the lines of that) so of corse he does...then types that in lol...so it really wasnt hacking more of sega being a dumb fuck for not ativating the new code they just put in...oh it was somehting really easy to guess to i just forgot what it was...

Superguppie
Dec 3, 2003, 04:02 AM
OK, I've had it with all those mindless buttholes calling ST names for the lose ends in PSO. All remember 1 thing: They may have made the lose ends, but they also made the great stuff that gets us all so worked up. As a profesional software developer I have some idea of how hard it is to make a program that is this low on bugs. Making it totaly bugless is totaly imposible. So all quit whining about STs inability to tie up those lose ends before they become apparent, and enjoy all the good stuff.

If I had to make a wild guess to why the double save is back (like it was ever really gone for the EU players...) it would be that the fix for it was also a fix for other stuff, and it introduced new lose ends. In order to get rid of the new lose ends they had to undo the entire update, thus bringing back the double save. Mind you, this is a wild guess. I haven't got a clue how far from (or close to) the truth it is.

And on the thesis that the double save was put back to encourage us to buy "plus": Rediculous. That would be encouraging us to buy import stuff, which, to my best knowledge, is something no publisher is happy with. It would make sense if "plus" was out in other places than Japan, and for now it's not even certain it will ever go outside Japan...

Jack
Dec 3, 2003, 04:19 AM
I actually went online last night to test this, and there were no Double Saves at all. :/

Greenie
Dec 3, 2003, 04:32 AM
Well said.......

In my own little part of the PSO world, as of the last update on the servers, my hunters license magically expired, and I have been unable to renew it... I finally heard back form them today, and they are working on it....has this happned to ne1 else?

trypticon
Dec 3, 2003, 01:01 PM
And on the thesis that the double save was put back to encourage us to buy "plus": Rediculous. That would be encouraging us to buy import stuff, which, to my best knowledge, is something no publisher is happy with. It would make sense if "plus" was out in other places than Japan, and for now it's not even certain it will ever go outside Japan...

It's not rediculous at all, and is often a ploy used by commercial companies. It is simply creating a demand before there is a supply of the product available. Think of it as an early buzz about a product.

You can bet that ST would be more than happy to sell the product worldwide, and not just in Japan. If they can get enough demand for it in other countries they will be more liable to release it to those foreign markets.

kevlar_pso
Dec 3, 2003, 04:24 PM
booo, where are the xbox updates???

Maverynthia
Dec 3, 2003, 10:27 PM
Many people have said Sega is stupid.

So, a theory is that Sega didn't put the Double Save back on 'to be stupid'. They just forgot to turn it back off...like used an old file with it on, tweaked the old file and overwrote the no-DS file...

That would be more stupid than simply turning it back on... I mean if they can't label their files properly and are editing OLD files rather than the new ones...

Insanetrio
Dec 3, 2003, 10:51 PM

On 2003-12-02 14:19, Aurra wrote:

There is no Sonic Team USA,the only US website is for Sega,not Sonic Team itself. On the links here at PSOW you can go to the Sonic Team site,but it is in Japanese!

Superguppie
Dec 4, 2003, 04:21 AM
On 2003-12-03 10:01, trypticon wrote:

It's not rediculous at all, and is often a ploy used by commercial companies. It is simply creating a demand before there is a supply of the product available. Think of it as an early buzz about a product.

You can bet that ST would be more than happy to sell the product worldwide, and not just in Japan. If they can get enough demand for it in other countries they will be more liable to release it to those foreign markets.

In that case it was wasted on me, and I think many others. The demand for fixes for double save, FSOD and duping is already there. I don't need a bloody annoying reminder of it.
Plus, the dupe-fix will only have effect if it is forced upon the worst lot, which is not the Japanese community. Also, it will only be effective if v1.1 is banned. Otherwise there will be ppl sticking to v1.1 just so the can keep on duping and the problem will remain.