PDA

View Full Version : I'd post a fanfic but...

AmyofDeneb4
Dec 2, 2003, 02:02 PM
It seems my writing skills pale in comparison to everybody here, and I don't think I'd last very long out here in the real world... real world... PSOW... rofl anyway, it's about 3 friends who have lost their parents aboard Pioneer 1. They embark on a search for information about their parents, which leads to even bigger things... the usual boring storyline... sorry It's supposed to be a comedy, but It didn't turn out as I hoped it would...lol it has a few funny parts in it, but I suppose it's alright for a first attempt at writing a fic... just let me know if you want me to post it, I've written 7 pages for the first two chapters... =)

Edit: somehow words got scrambled in unwanted places...lol

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AmyofDeneb4 on 2003-12-02 11:03 ]</font>

HUnewearl_Meira
Dec 2, 2003, 02:10 PM
Go ahead. Write it, and post it. You'll get some constructive criticism, and it's great practice.

Heck, even my own series of fanfics is just a bit of practice before I write something publishable.

Robert_Wolf
Dec 2, 2003, 02:47 PM
By all means, post it. Any writing is a great experience for you. You would be suprised how good it feels to know that someone read your writing, whether they liked it or not. Good luck.

KaFKa
Dec 2, 2003, 03:06 PM
start writing, its fun, and you get to see what everybody else has to say. you'll get better, trust me.

mr_rubbish
Dec 2, 2003, 03:37 PM
For the love of God! Don't post a thread about a fan-fic you are not going to post!

Post the fic-fic. Read the feedback. Improve your craft. Post another... Etc etc till eventually you are the best writer you can be.

ZGohanJonZ
Dec 2, 2003, 04:24 PM
Maybe she just wanted to hear people's opinion of her story before she used time to write something that nobody would read etc... I know I have felt that way before...

mr_rubbish
Dec 2, 2003, 04:26 PM
It's difficult to give an opinion of a story if we can't read it http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

On 2003-12-02 13:24, ZGohanJonZ wrote:
Maybe she just wanted to hear people's opinion of her story before she used time to write something that nobody would read etc... I know I have felt that way before...

AmyofDeneb4
Dec 2, 2003, 05:46 PM
It's difficult to give an opinion of a story if we can't read it
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On 2003-12-02 13:24, ZGohanJonZ wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I gave the basic storyline in my first post Mr. Rubbish. Read it again.

Edit - Forgot the quote

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AmyofDeneb4 on 2003-12-02 14:49 ]</font>

Sord
Dec 2, 2003, 07:16 PM
the real problem is getting people to post, you have to either bug them, or wright a good Chapter 1 (or prologue) so that they want to read the next chapter and they'll post you like crazy asking for the next chapter while adding minute comments that can be of use, but then you gotta make then want to read chapter 2, and then 3, and so on. They are hard to impress, heck i'v been writing for about two weeks, one chapter on average and i maybe get feedback once or twice per chapter if any. Heres a tip, they like detail and the battle scenes have to be the highlight of the story without really being the highlight (that doesn't make a lot of sinse unless you read a lot of peoples' work and what people posted for the work)

MQuantum
Dec 2, 2003, 07:40 PM
As I have said before, manymanymanymany times...

"If you write it, they will come. And if they don't, I'll still be there!"

well, maybe i've only said it once or twice or three times... But it'll be a Fanficcie famous quote one day!

ladyjaderiver
Dec 2, 2003, 10:07 PM
HOW COULD YOU?! You post a thread about a fic and then tell us you're not going to post it... *sniffle* That's just mean! *G* Or not... But you really should post it. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif Having other people read it will let you get feedback on it besides your own. Sometimes other people see errors you missed, and sometimes they like it more than you do (a lot of my art, for example, I hate, but a bunch of other people love).

Sord
Dec 2, 2003, 10:13 PM
On 2003-12-02 19:07, ladyjaderiver wrote:
(a lot of my art, for example, I hate, but a bunch of other people love).

are you nuts!? all your artwork i'v seen is great

ladyjaderiver
Dec 2, 2003, 10:40 PM
It's an artist thing, methinks... Everyone in my AP Drawing class is also this way, at least.

Mixfortune
Dec 3, 2003, 12:03 AM
On 2003-12-02 16:16, Sord wrote:

They are hard to impress, heck i'v been writing for about two weeks, one chapter on average and i maybe get feedback once or twice per chapter if any.

Yeah, it's a common thing for this to happen, AmyofDeneb4, so don't worry if it does. For example, currently my own fic is months old (with a decent amount of updates) and I've gone over ten chapters at a time with no feedback whatsoever.

While true that can often be disconcerting, it seems you already have a number of people ready to read what you have.

I say post it. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

EDIT- Stupid me. I just saw it later down in the list... http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mixfortune on 2003-12-02 21:14 ]</font>

Sord
Dec 3, 2003, 01:28 PM
On 2003-12-02 21:03, Mixfortune wrote

EDIT- Stupid me. I just saw it later down in the list... http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mixfortune on 2003-12-02 21:14 ]</font>

Bah! sme thing happened to me. What determines order anyways?

Mixfortune
Dec 3, 2003, 02:22 PM
When a post is made in a thread, it moves back to the top of the forum. Stickies are always at the very top of each forum, and have their own order depending on the last post within those.

AmyofDeneb4
Dec 3, 2003, 02:42 PM
I posted the first chapter yesterday... if you want to take time to read it...
http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=70905&forum=12&4

Hikara
Dec 3, 2003, 02:46 PM
Put it in your sig, too. It'll get a lot more advertised that way!

AmyofDeneb4
Dec 3, 2003, 02:47 PM
TY Hikara, I'll do that. =) even though I don't post that often LOL!