PDA

View Full Version : Cursing bad translation!!

Skuda
Dec 3, 2003, 06:45 PM
Most of the mag names were horribly translated into english from japanese...although one turned out fine. The Oh so adourable Sato means sugar in japanese. all of the other episode 1&2 mags were supose to have some sort of meaning in their name but most was lost through translation.

Lord_Sloth
Dec 3, 2003, 06:46 PM
Do you have any oidea what Rati was supposed to be?
Doubtful but I have ta ask!

Skuda
Dec 3, 2003, 06:48 PM
Next time I get on PSO i'll change the language to japanese. I havn't looked but I'll see what it's japanese version name is. wOOt for Japanese Dictionaries!

Skuda
Dec 3, 2003, 06:50 PM
kinda crazy too but most of the rare katanas are named after actual swordmakers. and the Yamigarasu means *roughly translated* "Dark Mountain". Crazy no?

Cengah
Dec 3, 2003, 07:05 PM
Sure PSO has some pretty bad off translations, but if you look at it they did a better job then some of the other games out there.

Take the names of some character's where they get su mixed up with th and we get Aerith {supposed to be Aeris} from kingdom hearts, and Marth {supposed to be Mars} from SSB:M

Ketchup345
Dec 3, 2003, 07:10 PM
On 2003-12-03 15:45, Scott_Kuda wrote:
Most of the mag names were horribly translated into english from japanese...although one turned out fine. The Oh so adourable Sato means sugar in japanese. all of the other episode 1&2 mags were supose to have some sort of meaning in their name but most was lost through translation.

Umm, there was a thread a while ago that said many of the Mag names come from a God or import person/deity in different religions. I'll try to find the thread.

Rati was a Goddess, I forget what religion.

Cengah
Dec 3, 2003, 07:16 PM
I think it was ancient Egyptian.

Skuda
Dec 3, 2003, 08:19 PM
That may be possible. most of the mag names I looked at in japanese then english weren't very close. I can read alot of Japanese so I should know.

Quo
Dec 3, 2003, 09:48 PM
On the subject of Rati.

There is no "ti" japanese character. Instead it is replaced by "chi". Which is why, I think, Some people will say "orochiagito" instead of "orotiagito" preferring the linguistically correct version to the officially translated version.

Anyway, my point is that rati cannot be japanese, unless the translators screwed up the alphabet. But, such mistakes are not unknown.

Skuda
Dec 3, 2003, 10:41 PM
I know there is no ti... I've been taking Japanese for 3 years. it could be tei..I've seen that used tor ti.

navci
Dec 3, 2003, 11:59 PM
On 2003-12-03 15:50, Scott_Kuda wrote:
kinda crazy too but most of the rare katanas are named after actual swordmakers. and the Yamigarasu means *roughly translated* "Dark Mountain". Crazy no?

I think Yamigarasu means "Dark Glass".. or "Black Raven".....

navci
Dec 4, 2003, 12:04 AM
On 2003-12-03 19:41, Scott_Kuda wrote:
I know there is no ti... I've been taking Japanese for 3 years. it could be tei..I've seen that used tor ti.

Sorry for double post. Hehe. Rati is "Ra te (and small i)" The thread that was mentioned is no longer in the database but since I started that thread I can post again. =}

Rati is from Indian mythology. She is one of the Asparas (water spirits), wife of Kama. =D

Eihwaz
Dec 4, 2003, 02:02 AM
On 2003-12-03 20:59, navi wrote:

On 2003-12-03 15:50, Scott_Kuda wrote:

I think Yamigarasu means "Dark Glass".. or "Black Raven".....

Yes, I read somewhere that it means Dark Glass.

Heh, Asparas and Kama are Mags as well. Apparently, a lot of Mags were named after gods/goddesses...

Hrith
Dec 4, 2003, 12:16 PM
YAMIGARASU means Dark Raven XD that's what using dictionaries leads you to http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif It'a "ninja trick" so the name is Dark Raven, no doubt.

heyf00L
Dec 4, 2003, 12:22 PM
Special Thanks: Every Hunters of PSO

My favorite.

-Geshtar-
Dec 4, 2003, 12:36 PM
Aye, also the Marica...spanish for lesbian I think (I'm probably wrong). so the mags are gods/goddesses and sexual orientations across the world =P.

heyf00L
Dec 4, 2003, 12:53 PM
I was told that the JP name for the Partisan of Lightning means "Quickly Thunder". Well there's no real translation, but that's what the person said it was kinda like.

Skuda
Dec 4, 2003, 02:13 PM
oops! my bad. I spaced on that one!

navci
Dec 4, 2003, 02:24 PM
On 2003-12-04 09:53, heyf00L wrote:
I was told that the JP name for the Partisan of Lightning means "Quickly Thunder". Well there's no real translation, but that's what the person said it was kinda like.

I'd contribute to more Japanese names, unfortunately, I don't have many cool rare weaps. Hehe. The MKB and BKB has the same name as the weapon the Monkey (Goku, if you must) uses in "Journey to the West" (famous Chinese literature, the whole thing DBZ was originall based on)

I liked the Japanese PoL name very much.. =}

ilr2000
Dec 4, 2003, 03:29 PM
On 2003-12-04 09:22, heyf00L wrote:

My favorite.

heh, yeah. Every time I watch the credits that one makes me smile just a little bit. It's the most customer appreciation ST has ever shown.

FalhockOspri
Dec 5, 2003, 05:43 PM
On 2003-12-04 09:22, heyf00L wrote:

My favorite.

aha, I saw that too, I was thinking "hmm... maybe the term "Hunters" is standing for all the clases" this puzzled me for quite some time... yeah, thats great

by the way, don't judge a game on its translation, let english teachers do that