PDA

View Full Version : Shake & co.'s Drawing Tips

Shake
Dec 4, 2003, 04:47 PM
For those aspiring artists and fanartists out there, I thought it would be nice to get some of the popular/experienced artists on here to give some tips. Mediums, Tools, Programs, Vision...anything.

So please, Navi, Batou, Hikosaka, would you all care to join me to lend a hand to those in training? I hope so, we could call it a "Fellowship of the Red Ring". How cheesy, anyways, on to the tips I have for you.

Some of this may be obvious, but a reminder of the obvious is sometimes necessary.

First...the tools that are just right for you.

I learned something recently. Just because you may not have photoshop or the proper equipment to CG artwork, that does not mean that your work will undoubtedly suck. Pick tools that you feel comfortable with. If you enjoy using a simple pencil, if you like the style of pen, charcoal, pastels, anything, use what you like. You'll definitely put more heart into any project then, because you'll enjoy doing it more.

I for one, don't like messy tools. For example, Pastels or charcoal. I prefer simpler tools that make simpler lines.

With the right tools for you to complete your work, you will help aid your search in finding your own style.

Basic Forms, Basic Ideas

If you are doing a project, it is a good idea to think about what you are drawing first, right?

Most people use circular models that are eventually overlapped with corrections to make the final piece. These models are used to establish the foundation of balance, posture and position, as well as the basic form of the final product.

Rulers or any other tool similar to it are effective when it comes to planning the surrounding environment of the piece as well. That is, if you plan on including a background scene or anything like that.

One final thing I have to say about this is if you are using pencil, pen or whatnot. Don't draw it too hard at first. You may not be able to erase it if you make a mistake. So draw your basic form lightly.

Finding your Style

Practice. Practice practice practice.

Some people pick up faster than others do, so patience is also important. Work with what you enjoy doing and don't be afraid to experiment with other ideas every now and then.

I myself tried to mimic the style of several well known character designers, namely Akira Toriyama[Chrono Trigger, DBZ, Dragon Quest] and Tetsuya Nomura[ff7,ff8,ffx,Kingdom Hearts]. I took what I adored in these artist's work, and incorporated it into what I wanted to draw, or show in my characters. This may work for you, or it may not.

I know there are more tips to say here, but I will leave that to others for anything to be included or added. I think this could be a great way to get the Fan Works section a lot more involving for even the mildest PSO gamer

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shake on 2003-12-04 13:48 ]</font>

KaFKa
Dec 4, 2003, 04:55 PM
...are you trying to be like me? heheheh...

Great idea, but Kodiax's guide and all that kinda kills half your subject, so guess its just a basic tips thread *shrug* good guide though, although i can't draw wirth anything >.<

ladyjaderiver
Dec 4, 2003, 05:31 PM
That's a really good guide, though basically all stuff we talked about on the first day in AP Drawing... *G* Just a note you might want to add, though, keep an eraser handy, because everyone makes mistakes. And when you sketch of the underlying shapes, do it lightly so you can erase.

EDIT: Heh, just curious, but can anyone pick out the two or three artists who influence my style the most?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ladyjaderiver on 2003-12-04 14:32 ]</font>

navci
Dec 4, 2003, 05:42 PM
Well. I found this at my site, something I made SUPAH long time ago. But it's here! With screenshots and such!

There there (http://www3.telus.net/schiz-o/stuff/oekaki/how1.html)

Yay. Replace load selection with transperancy lock. =D

Shake
Dec 4, 2003, 05:45 PM
Kod covered it? Man...I thought I had a good idea too...