View Full Version : Game of the year

deathreaper
Dec 4, 2003, 09:08 PM
I was watching Spike tv's Video Game Awards and game of the years was....Madden 2004....am i the only one who is disgusted with this for one thing i've played it, it sucks....second 2004 it still 2003
http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_mad.gif http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_mad.gif http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_mad.gif http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_mad.gif http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_mad.gif http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_mad.gif http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_mad.gif http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_mad.gif

SpikeOtacon
Dec 4, 2003, 09:09 PM
I say Silent Hill 3 deserved that award.
http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Aunt_Betty
Dec 4, 2003, 09:19 PM
Sports games just are plain unplayble. Adults don't understand the meaning of gaming. To them it's a different socity.

And besides why do you want a sports game I mean,THE SAMETHING is always in a different year's version. The only "improvement" I have seen is just customizable jersys. BTW the adults here actually understand gaming.

Auronius
Dec 4, 2003, 09:25 PM
You have to look at Spike's demographic. Spike claims to be the first network for men, and the stereotypical man loves football.
Oh well, I would rather have something else win, but as long as Spike plays MXC, they're fine by me.

Reenee
Dec 4, 2003, 09:30 PM
Bullshit. Madden? Where's the GTA (yes, I know, I'm cheap for saying that, even though I don't play it)?

deathreaper
Dec 4, 2003, 09:30 PM
MXC is great but Madden, Madden god that game sucks....all sport games suck

dark_agenda
Dec 4, 2003, 09:36 PM
For real, GTA is more in there demographic....

I remember watching a show that was talking about spike tv, I believe they are shooting for men ages 18-36, something like that...

Bradicus
Dec 4, 2003, 09:43 PM
There is nothing wrong with sports games, so that isn't my gripe. A great game is characterized by orriginality, gameplay, story and several other things... Madden had one of those.

The awards were obviously skewed by Spike's attempt at super-injecting itself with testosterone. But still, i cant live without my MXC (although i did get tired of the marathon after abou three episodes).

Dangerous55
Dec 4, 2003, 09:46 PM
Sports games suck? No.

If you havent played the Madden games then dont bash them. They are very well put together games. They are not the same exact thing just with a slight change.

How can you say Adults dont understand gaming? First off I guess you think adults are the only ones that play sports games. Second off I dont know what adult to you is, but I am putting at at 20's, that means they were around when gaming was just starting.

Dont bash sports games simply because they are sports games. That is dumb.

Bradicus
Dec 4, 2003, 09:59 PM
On 2003-12-04 18:46, Dangerous55 wrote:
Sports games suck? No.

If you havent played the Madden games then dont bash them. They are very well put together games. They are not the same exact thing just with a slight change.

How can you say Adults dont understand gaming? First off I guess you think adults are the only ones that play sports games. Second off I dont know what adult to you is, but I am putting at at 20's, that means they were around when gaming was just starting.

Dont bash sports games simply because they are sports games. That is dumb.

This is true, but the fact is that Madden does not desserve "best game", despite the fact that it is a truely awsome football sim.

dark_agenda
Dec 4, 2003, 10:30 PM
there's a lot of other games that could have easily been game of the year. One of them is metroid prime, was it even on the show?

deathreaper
Dec 4, 2003, 10:57 PM
no... http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Aunt_Betty
Dec 4, 2003, 11:08 PM
I have played a madden game.

Dangerous55
Dec 4, 2003, 11:31 PM
On 2003-12-04 20:08, Kokekirby wrote:
I have played a madden game.

Ok, you proved yourself wrong. How can you say its the same thing every year if you only played one.

I agree that it shouldnt be the GOTY, but if they did it by votes, then it is GOTY to that award show.

NKOTB
Dec 4, 2003, 11:47 PM
http://www.angelfire.com/il/crunk/funny/drevilnal.jpg

starhealer
Dec 5, 2003, 12:19 PM
I honestly don't remember seeing any Nintendo games in the lineup.

Def Jam Vendetta, best music? Please.

And how the hell did Halo 2 win Most Anticipated Game? Metal Gear should have had that honour, damnit. *seethes*

The show itself was just a mockery of the gaming public. I wasn't sure if I should be laughing at the inanity or crying because they took something I love and utterly destroyed it. I lived for the moments when it showed the winners and they glared at the dancing girls, though. They had that "What the hell is this?" look on their faces. Priceless.

NKOTB, nice pick, by the way.

HUnewearl_Meira
Dec 5, 2003, 12:41 PM
Eh... Honestly, I can't comprehend what would set two Football video games apart from eachother, beyond the graphics and the interface... There have been a million football games over the years, and with what they've achieved with them recently, I can't comprehend how they can be further improved. It seems somewhat of a waste of resources. I mean really... You can stick Tecmo Bowl into your old NES and get a degraded form of the same gameplay... It's just... Dangit... You'd think that originality would count for something... But nope. Urg...

KaFKa
Dec 5, 2003, 12:48 PM
On 2003-12-04 20:47, NKOTB wrote:
http://www.angelfire.com/il/crunk/funny/drevilnal.jpg

true, so true

Hrith
Dec 5, 2003, 02:47 PM
LMAO, I think probably 2 of those games were sold here http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Chaos_Phoenix
Dec 5, 2003, 02:47 PM
Why whine about something that has already taken place. Sure, Madden probably didn't deserve the award, but there's nothing you can do about it. People are allowed their opinions, and that's about it. Stop your crying, and start looking half-full, not half-empty.

HUnewearl_Meira
Dec 5, 2003, 02:53 PM
On 2003-12-05 11:47, Chaos_Phoenix wrote:
Why whine about something that has already taken place. Sure, Madden probably didn't deserve the award, but there's nothing you can do about it. People are allowed their opinions, and that's about it. Stop your crying, and start looking half-full, not half-empty.

Because if we don't say stuff about it now, then next year, MORE games may get nominated that aren't even commercially available during the voting phase of the awards. Seriously, have you looked at the list of nominees? Half of them aren't even eligible! Think about it-- how long as Viewtiful Joe been out? Maybe a month? How the hell has it had time to become classified as "addictive"? Consider also, that the nominees were announced in like, October. I mean really... It's retarded when people are allowed to vote for games that they've obviously never played, for lack of their existence on the market!

Bradicus
Dec 5, 2003, 03:27 PM
The awards were hopelessly biassed. The fact of the mater is that if PSO, zelda, or any other game that wasn't "in your face" got the most votes, it still wouldn't win. It doesn't cater to their demographic, and a rapper singing about "bunstin' a cap" wouldn't fit as it's victory song.

In conclusion:
Employee- this game has a revolutionary story line, great gameplay, and is totally original.
Spike C.E.O.- But does it have scantly clad women?
E- Er... no...
S- Is there senseless gore?
E- no....
S- Has the producer made any "donations" to Spike TV?
E- no....
S- NEXT!

Dangerous55
Dec 5, 2003, 03:39 PM
On 2003-12-05 09:41, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:
Eh... Honestly, I can't comprehend what would set two Football video games apart from eachother, beyond the graphics and the interface... There have been a million football games over the years, and with what they've achieved with them recently, I can't comprehend how they can be further improved. It seems somewhat of a waste of resources. I mean really... You can stick Tecmo Bowl into your old NES and get a degraded form of the same gameplay... It's just... Dangit... You'd think that originality would count for something... But nope. Urg...

Actually your post was a waste of resources.

So these awards were based on votes, then you cannot argue it all. If it was voted to be best game, then it is best game to those award shows.

Delsaber
Dec 5, 2003, 03:53 PM
On 2003-12-05 09:41, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:

That's definately not false </sarcasm>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Delsaber on 2003-12-05 12:55 ]</font>

Delsaber
Dec 5, 2003, 03:54 PM
Madden have always been great football games and I am not even a big sports person. It shouldn't have won game of the year but the reasons it did have already been mentioned. But really, who cares? A hardcore gamer shouldn't care about if his/her game is considered the best. They should only care if they enjoy it and think it's the best. To hell with what the majority thinks.

Bradicus
Dec 5, 2003, 04:44 PM
If only the series wasn't named after such a retard...

shifter
Dec 5, 2003, 05:14 PM
On 2003-12-05 12:54, Delsaber wrote:
Madden have always been great football games and I am not even a big sports person. It shouldn't have won game of the year but the reasons it did have already been mentioned. But really, who cares? A hardcore gamer shouldn't care about if his/her game is considered the best. They should only care if they enjoy it and think it's the best. To hell with what the majority thinks.

spoken like a true gamer. do u really care if people think a game u love sucks? no.
u still play it because u enjoy it for the gameplay/storyline/action. who cares what the masses think, if we did, we'd all be wearing the same thing.

Allos
Dec 5, 2003, 05:41 PM
Madden probably shouldn't have won the award, but c'mon, Madden 2004 is the best yet. Most people I know that don't like sports games suck at them.

hollowtip
Dec 5, 2003, 06:24 PM
On 2003-12-05 14:14, shifter wrote:

spoken like a true gamer. do u really care if people think a game u love sucks? no.
u still play it because u enjoy it for the gameplay/storyline/action. who cares what the masses think, if we did, we'd all be wearing the same thing.

The mass gaming public is what drives the industry. Of course it matters what the majority embraces, because who do you think the market caters towards? The hardcore minority who can sift through the pretty wrapping and shallow gameplay and know what's the best bang for their buck always get left behind. Why make a good game that no one is going to buy because it's to "kiddy" when you can make a shitty GTA3 clone that everyone is going to latch onto just because of its name and gore factor?

And for those who despise of Madden claiming they only make small updates every year; you obviously haven't played the franchise and live on a stupid genre stereotype because you are athletically challenged in real life.

FeVer
Dec 5, 2003, 07:10 PM
On 2003-12-05 09:19, starhealer wrote:

And how the hell did Halo 2 win Most Anticipated Game?

Have you ever played this little game called "halo"? It was the best thing to happen for the box, and was one of the best first person shooter ever created. Of course everyone that owns an xbox is waiting for it, because it is the sequel to one of the greatest games ever created. I'm not trying to be fanboysih here... Metal gear:Twin snakes, and Snake Eater are right up there below it, but i mean come on... have you seen what they put into the second one? you can see reflections on the armor... and its basically got the lighting thing for splinter cell... Oh yeah... and the several modifyed warthogs, and plus... no more death from slightly above the ground, as what happened with the ghost. you can now jump on front, and hi-jack the thing... yes... the graphics for Snake eater looked amazing, and i will be buying at soon as possible, but they killed vamp...that killed the second game for me. sorry if I sounded like a halo fanboy, but it was just a great game. i also think that madden 2004 shouldn't have even got close to GOTY, but hey... obviously people liked it, so they voted for it.

SpikeOtacon
Dec 5, 2003, 07:29 PM
Time for a good old Akdov Reply:
((For those of you who don't know, Akdov is my friend who just hates computers, but wishes that his voice be spoken here. I did not wish to make a separate account that was never gonna be used, so I just say what he wants to say. I'll always say if it is An Akdov statement.))

Akdov: come on, no nintendo games?! No Sega games?! They have no idea what a good game is. If the original Zelda for the NES came up and bit them in the a**, They still wouldn't figure it out. It's so sad it makes me want to go home, get loaded (on Vodka) and play my NES.

polishedweasel
Dec 5, 2003, 09:24 PM
I think that the problem with the common "gamer" is the fact that they don't know what's going on.

During my short employment I saw a grown man come into the store, ask if we had "dat dere New final fantasy game" Trade in his XBOX for a playstation 2 and final fantasy X2 and a strategy guide.

He claimed that Xbox doesn't have any good games and that He'll buy another one when Halo 2 comes out.

How fucking stupid is that? It makes me mad....at that person's stupidity.

My friggin girlfriend was like "What the Fuck?!" When I told her about that....she's a 17 yr old girl in High School people...even she get's the fucking clue. >:[

GuerillaPimp
Dec 6, 2003, 02:27 PM
Madden 2004? GOY??? HELL NO!

Callie
Dec 7, 2003, 06:35 PM
i say dragon worrios (Monsters)

Guile
Dec 7, 2003, 09:24 PM
The whole award show was a big joke, it was just about a bunch of games for people who don't really play games.

Solstis
Dec 7, 2003, 09:44 PM
So, people who don't play games voted for games they don't play. Yeah... raiight.

it's not like the awards show was that important!

I personally voted for KOTOR!!!1! WOOT!

BogusKun
Dec 8, 2003, 02:28 AM
On 2003-12-04 18:43, Bradicus wrote:
There is nothing wrong with sports games, so that isn't my gripe. A great game is characterized by orriginality, gameplay, story and several other things... Madden had one of those.

The awards were obviously skewed by Spike's attempt at super-injecting itself with testosterone. But still, i cant live without my MXC (although i did get tired of the marathon after abou three episodes).

Madden did not have no fucking story, so DON'T EVEN FUCKING GO THERE MOTHER F**** ok ok (maybe I was adding too much drama to that lol)

But Anyways, I htink some other game should've gotten the award... In reality, I didn't see ANY of the VGA's. As soon as I turned the channel someone shouted "AND GAME OF THE YEAR MADDEN 2004!!!" and here I was lioke WTF? and waiting for other games to be called until I realized that... THAT WAS THE END OF THE AWARD SHOW. So I said...

WHAT

THE

FUCK!!!

But, you have to think 3 things.

1. Bubba Sparxxx wouldn't fly many miles just to rap about Zelda?

2. Sport games suck... I take that back, not all. Tiger Woods (never played but I own it) MAY be one of the best golf games, but we all know Mario Tennis and Golf is far betrter than ANY Madden game out there.

3. What The FUCK!

Heh. That's all I got...

(They should've got Dir En Grey to perform OBSCURE at the Video Game Awards)

LostHero
Dec 8, 2003, 05:00 AM
Spike's video game awards thing was weird and awkward... ditto with G4's lol.

Madden 04 is good, but its still essentially the same as every other football game before it, except with a better franchise mode. Why didn't they give it to Prince of Persia, Wind Waker, Soul Calibur 2... I can think of a thousand games this year better than Madden 04 :/

Dangerous55
Dec 8, 2003, 03:03 PM
On 2003-12-08 02:00, LostHero wrote:
Spike's video game awards thing was weird and awkward... ditto with G4's lol.

Madden 04 is good, but its still essentially the same as every other football game before it, except with a better franchise mode. Why didn't they give it to Prince of Persia, Wind Waker, Soul Calibur 2... I can think of a thousand games this year better than Madden 04 :/

Then you should have voted.

monkeyfist
Dec 8, 2003, 09:21 PM
GET IT THROUGH YOUR SKULLS PSO IS AN OLD GAME AND WILL NOT WIN ANY GAME OF THE YEAR AWARDS UNTIL EPISODE 3!!!!!!!

</rant>

Shattered_weasel
Dec 9, 2003, 12:42 PM
On 2003-12-08 18:21, monkeyfist wrote:
GET IT THROUGH YOUR SKULLS PSO IS AN OLD GAME AND WILL NOT WIN ANY GAME OF THE YEAR AWARDS UNTIL EPISODE 3!!!!!!!

</rant>

I don't think that any Gamecube games were even acknowledge in that whole segment......Let alone PSO

Omni-SqwirL
Dec 9, 2003, 12:46 PM
On 2003-12-07 18:44, Solstis wrote:
So, people who don't play games voted for games they don't play. Yeah... raiight.

it's not like the awards show was that important!

I personally voted for KOTOR!!!1! WOOT!

I just beat KOTOR, lighty side 100%. Now, I'm going through the Dark Side 100% with a female character.

It should have one game of the year in my opinion. I HATED Star Wars before I borrowed the game. I absolutely hated EVERYTHING about it, anti Star Wars I was. The game completely changed my view and now I'm catching myself striking up conversations about the Force. If a game can do that, it deserves a lot.

RuneLateralus
Dec 9, 2003, 01:08 PM
Eh, the awards were more a large commerical advertisement advertising directly the games that one, and indirectly advertised DOA with the DOA Girls.

Personally, I feel KOTOR was the best game of the year (haven't tried Prince of Persia yet, getting that for Christmas). What can you do about it? Nothing. Except oogle the DOA Girls.

Chaos_Phoenix
Dec 9, 2003, 02:45 PM
On 2003-12-05 11:53, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:

Because if we don't say stuff about it now, then next year, MORE games may get nominated that aren't even commercially available during the voting phase of the awards. Seriously, have you looked at the list of nominees? Half of them aren't even eligible! Think about it-- how long as Viewtiful Joe been out? Maybe a month? How the hell has it had time to become classified as "addictive"? Consider also, that the nominees were announced in like, October. I mean really... It's retarded when people are allowed to vote for games that they've obviously never played, for lack of their existence on the market!

You're right, Meira. The whole award thing should be revamped, but there isn't much we can do about it. People who have never played the game SHOULD not be able to vote on something they haven't played. If you want to vote for a game, I think that you should enter the ID number of the game (found in the instructions booklet) to even register. That would at least limit it to people who OWN the game.

anwserman
Dec 9, 2003, 03:03 PM
MXC is awesome!

Oh, I had no interest in the video game show. When that person hosted it (Whatever his name is, David Spade?) I sat there and was like, "too stupid for me."

Vitamin_D
Dec 9, 2003, 06:18 PM
Viewtiful Joe= Game Of The Year. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

BogusKun
Dec 9, 2003, 06:20 PM
On 2003-12-05 18:24, polishedweasel wrote:
Xbox doesn't have any good games

...It still doesn't

Anubis_
Dec 9, 2003, 06:36 PM
Does anyone notice that the genera that everyone always tries to relate to and to be cool with the youth is the Hip Hop Genera..??

Whenever you see an uptight businessman on television that tries to be cool in front of a bunch of youth adults, 9 times out of 10 the words YO, TIGHT, and AINT, come from their mouth in like the next 3 seconds..

The Hip Hop Genera is the publics eyeview (as in, the majority of the publics)of cool, or what is hip..

I new that Spike tvs video game awards was gonna be a complete bust, because i knew they werent going to show the best games made, the the games everyone played..

They didnt give you what they said they were gonna give you, They gave you what the general public wanted to see. A game, most people play get an award.. Why??,, To show that Spike TV is with the times.. thats all..

Dangerous55
Dec 9, 2003, 06:57 PM
On 2003-12-09 15:20, BogusKun wrote:

...It still doesn't

How can anyone honestly say that?

Bradicus
Dec 9, 2003, 07:03 PM
On 2003-12-09 15:57, Dangerous55 wrote:

...It still doesn't

Being biassed hopelessly.

BogusKun
Dec 9, 2003, 07:12 PM
On 2003-12-09 16:03, Bradicus wrote:

On 2003-12-09 15:57, Dangerous55 wrote:

...It still doesn't

Being biassed hopelessly.

Unfortunately, I'm not looking at it from a biased view.

Dangerous55
Dec 9, 2003, 07:42 PM
On 2003-12-09 16:12, BogusKun wrote:

Then you are just really dumb? Even the N-Gage has at least one good game.

Bradicus
Dec 9, 2003, 09:33 PM
In most real gaming mags, Halo took game of the year 2002-2003...

The problem with biassed people, is that they don't know their biassed. Take this "X-box has no good games" concept. Obviously tens (hundreds?) of thousands of people bought it... and i must assume that at least one person enjoyed a game they played on it. Step outside of your own personal preferances, and try to see things from the viewpoints of others.

Plus there are several shared games that i KNOW are good (Metal arms, Splinter Cell [no replay value, but great game], GTA etc).

Solstis
Dec 9, 2003, 09:40 PM
You see the box, you must step out of it to enjoy perfect peace.

In other words, people apparently think the xbox has good games (KOTOR, Splinter Cell, Halo...and...uh), or at least a lot of fun ones. I find my cellphone's cheap Blackjack game to be worth at least a minute of fun... I'm sure that you guys can squeeze at least that much out of the many xbox titles out there.

polishedweasel
Dec 9, 2003, 11:08 PM

...It still doesn't

Don't put words into my mouth you, I love my Xbox. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

BogusKun
Dec 10, 2003, 12:57 PM
On 2003-12-09 16:42, Dangerous55 wrote:

On 2003-12-09 16:12, BogusKun wrote:

Then you are just really dumb? Even the N-Gage has at least one good game.

Yea, and if you were smart... you wouldn;t have wasted 300 god damn dollar on some stupid ass phone you should be helping your mother or wife pay some bills and shit.

My family comes first, then my GC and PS2...

then I'll buy the Xbox when Steel Battalion Online comes out PERFECTED

Shattered_weasel
Dec 10, 2003, 02:40 PM
Its called a sex-box because it brings me pleasure.

Dangerous55
Dec 10, 2003, 03:11 PM
On 2003-12-10 09:57, BogusKun wrote:

Yea, and if you were smart... you wouldn;t have wasted 300 god damn dollar on some stupid ass phone you should be helping your mother or wife pay some bills and shit.

I agree that it is a waste of money but that doesnt mean it doesnt have one good game. What does your family have to do with this?

Bradicus
Dec 10, 2003, 03:15 PM

Here comes the point..... Ohh! Swing and a miss.

Stormsworder
Dec 12, 2003, 07:50 PM
Homeworld2=Game of the Year

Kent
Dec 13, 2003, 11:38 PM
Spike TV's VGAs are a disgrace. So far, there are only two games I've played that are deserving of the title Game of the Year, and those are Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, and Deus Ex: Invisible War.

deathreaper
Dec 15, 2003, 02:26 PM
PoP:sands of time...that was the funniest game and it didn't get game of the year...my only regret about the game is how short it was! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif