PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: Thief database?

TheHangedMan
Feb 19, 2001, 02:14 PM
Has anyone thought of doing a page with a complete, searchable list of all known theives? Considering I have the card of the person who ripped me off today, I have his number. Correct me if I'm mistaken, but isn't that number unique? If everyone gets the card & number of those they trade with, someone could compile a searchable list of the numbers of all theives, and we could effectively blacklist them. I know there are many posts on many forums about one thief or another, but keeping a list with numbers would give people one place to look before they trade. If their name/number came up, a person would know not to trust them.

Of course, this isn't without it's own problems (false thief submissions, etc.), but it might be something to consider.

MB
Feb 19, 2001, 05:16 PM
That would be very easy to do in web scripting too... If you could talk to sysop to put it on this page it would be all the better... One questions though, how do you keep innocents from being blacklisted also... Like the ebay rating thing, If you give someone a bad rating and they do the same to you even though you tried everything to make it work... I like the idea though...
MBlaster
lvl 2x... Humar

Spy
Feb 19, 2001, 07:28 PM
Not going to work... to many theives, to little time, and how are you going to remember them all, and which ones to stay away from? The best thing to do is play with friends, or when playing with strangers dont play with your good items, so that if you are ripped off you don't lose them.

TheHangedMan
Feb 19, 2001, 07:49 PM
Ok, I thought about this, started to write, ended up thinking about it more and just deleted everything I had written. Basically this is what I've come up with so far:

People would have to be registered with a validated email to submit.

Submitters could either have a sort of honesty rating, somewhat akin to ebay's feedback (which you mentioned). Other registered users could vouch for users they know, and give them a star or something, giving that person a bit more credibility when they submit someone.

Or maybe along the same lines...
When a new thief is submitted, the submission (and submitter) must be vouched for and also submitted by X number of additional users. Sort of like a legal document that requires witnesses. Those additional users would have to be users whose email was from a different domain than the submitter (to prevent people from vouching for themselves).

I don't think fake submissions would be very much of a problem, because in general, a list of thieves would probably not be a place where dishonest people would gather.

Of course, I've been up all night playing PSO, so this is the best I could come up with so far in my tired state. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_wink.gif

TheHangedMan
Feb 19, 2001, 07:53 PM
Spy: That's why the list. So that you don't need to remember, but can look them up. The idea was geared more towards traders than people you end up in a game with. Before you traded with a person, you could get their card and #, then look them up.

Tillis
Feb 19, 2001, 10:05 PM
I was just thinking that ! I want a list of theives too. I would want it printable too, so I can hunt them down. BWAHAHAHAHA ! DREDG ! YOU'LL BE SORRY YOU STOLE MY PHOTON CLAW !!! BWAHAHAHAHAHA ! NOW ALL YOU LOUSY THEIVES WILL SUFFER ! BWAHAHAHAHA ! umm... anyway... it would be good to also list WHAT they stole and who their victim(s) were. Yes,k a nice simple list of theives would be GRAND ! SOMEBODY MAKE THE DANG LIST NOW !

Tillis
Feb 19, 2001, 10:05 PM
I was just thinking that ! I want a list of theives too. I would want it printable too, so I can hunt them down. BWAHAHAHAHA ! DREDG ! YOU'LL BE SORRY YOU STOLE MY PHOTON CLAW !!! BWAHAHAHAHAHA ! NOW ALL YOU LOUSY THEIVES WILL SUFFER ! BWAHAHAHAHA ! umm... anyway... it would be good to also list WHAT they stole and who their victim(s) were. Yes,k a nice simple list of theives would be GRAND ! SOMEBODY MAKE THE DANG LIST NOW !

Tillis
Feb 19, 2001, 10:06 PM

Tillis

Tillis

Tillis

Tillis
Feb 19, 2001, 10:09 PM
WHOOPS ! Sorry 'bout that ! computer was causing "Internal Errors" every time I tried to post, so I thought it didn't work. Gomen Ne !

segagameplay
Feb 20, 2001, 04:41 AM
Yes but what stops a thief from putting you on the list?

DynStatic
Feb 27, 2001, 10:16 PM
Something like this is a good idea, but won't work.
A list of thiefs or a list of honest people both have their problems. Both are based on people being honest.

A list of people who are honest seems to be a better idea. A rateing for good and bad (stolen something) on each person would be a must. Your card ID would be used for a login (with a password) Take these examples.

Person A trades with person B. Both have a good experance and are added to the list with 1 point each. Person A or B trades with person another person D. A or B gets onther point and D gets one. The more points someone gets the more they can be trusted.

Lets say that B was really a theif and traded with person F and took F's item and ran. Person F would go to the list and make the bad box for -1 not taking any points away from the good box. Since person F logged into the list with his ID, you can see what his rating is. If he has a good rating then you can assume that he is noble in his rating of B.

If someone has at least one bad mark, trade at your own risk. Judge based on good marks vs bad and who marked them bad or good. Everyone would be linked to the submissions.

I don't now if this sounds right to you... but makes sence to me.

Sounds like a pain to code.