PDA

View Full Version : PSO and AOL

Gazzafett
Dec 6, 2003, 06:05 AM
is it possible to play PSO on the internet with AOL as i have been trying for ages and cant seem to get it to work

Rich_T
Dec 6, 2003, 08:08 AM
broadband or dial up?

Aunt_Betty
Dec 10, 2003, 10:08 PM
If you got the modem adapter it clearly says that it is not compatable with AOL.

gallaugher
Dec 11, 2003, 09:48 AM
Technically it's possible if you have a broadband adapter for your game cube. You'll need to connect it to a network card on your PC. Then you need to enable & configure Internet Connection Sharing (it's pretty much automatic). Whether or not this really does work I cannot tell you. Technically it should.

zimmk2vgc
Dec 13, 2003, 10:09 AM
you need a crossover cable if you have a USB only broadband modem. if you have a dsl router, you just need to plug it straight into there.

Aceizace
Dec 13, 2003, 11:07 AM
Err, no, cos you can't get onto aol's isp via a router, you need to use the modem they supply. How many years old is this thread anyway? i remember this from ages ago. To be honest, its possible, but it is stupidly hard. Look at the sticky in this forum, if it doesn't work then i advise changing isp.

Kasumi19
Dec 13, 2003, 02:25 PM
AOL broadband is compatible with a router. I have not encountered any broadband connection that is not. I set up a linksys 4 port wireless B router with an AOL BB connection a few months ago for a friend of mine. She wanted to be able to use the broadband connection on both of her computers. Here is a brief overview of what I did to do this.

Here is what I had to work with pertaining to the internet connection.

Computer 1 - used a standard LAN card that most computers these days come with.

Computer 2 - was using a Wireless G PCI card. (I built this computer for her)

ISP Connection was a standard DSL modem that was connected to the LAN card on Computer 1.

Here is an overview of what we did once all hardware was correctly installed.

1) Connect the ethernet (CAT 5)cable coming fromm the DSL modem to the WAN/Internet/Input port on the router. Note: The port may be called something else on your particular router. All the routers I have worked with it has been named WAN, internet, or input.

2) Connect ethernet cable from port from any of the outgoing ports on the router to the ethernet port on computer 1.

3) Since Computer was using AOL to connect the internet upon start-up. I first disable the AOL connection and changed the network settings so that they would use DHCP instead.

4) Open an Internet Explorer window and input the router's address into address field. This router's address was 192.168.1.1, I know some routers such as netgear uses 192.168.0.1.

5) Input AOL's connection settings into the router. We actually created a new screen name just for the router settings, but you do not have to do this any screen name will work. The router will ask for ISP name and you input America Online, then input the screen name in the username field and password for that screen name in the password field and click apply and it is ready to go.

6) I set up computer 2 wireless connection after that, which I am not going into.

After this has been done correctly and you want to add an XBox or GC to it, All you should have to do make sure that the router is set to accept incoming WAN requests and connect the GC or Xbox to any of the open ports on the router. You may also have to open certain ports on the router, but not always.

I know for sure this worked with the Xbox, but have not tested a GC since I do not go online with my GC only my XBox. I assume that the GC would work in a similiar manner.

I have not used dialup in many years and would not recommend it for online gaming anyways. I could probably figure a way to make it work with a dialup ISP if I played with it long enough, but I just do not see a reason to.

If you need connection specifics or want to see a screen cap of the router's setting I worked with.

PM me and I will eventually send them to you. I am fairly busy at the moment with finals next week, but will likely respond when they are done.