PDA

View Full Version : Errors!

coco609
Dec 6, 2003, 11:37 AM
My Gamecube is in my room next to my computer, my computer is part of a network, my dad's computer is the server, which my computer is networked to. I tried switching the ethernet cable that runs from the router to my computer, to the gamecube, but when I tried to conect, it said,"Please ensure the correct cable is connected to the Nintendo Gamecube". So, I bought a crossover cable at Radio Shack and plugged it into the computer and Gamecube, now it says I'm online, but when I try to load the page to buy a Hunter's Liscense, it just signals that it's loading, and nothing happens, and when I bring up the toolbar (the one that says, Home, Back, Cancel, To Game, etc), there is a picture of an unlocked padlock on the toolbar. I configured everything right, I don't know what the problem is, can anyone help me? Thanks

Rich_T
Dec 6, 2003, 04:17 PM
im not too sure on how your computer logs onto your network, but you should be able to just plug your gamecube BBa into a spare socket on your (dads) router, and it should connect fine.
a crossover cable is only relay needed for internet conection sharing, to do this you need to set internet conection sharing up on your computer (win98se up) and purchase an aditional network card for it, although if you already have an ethernet internet conection ( from your dads router) you might be able to use a switch or a hub.

so that your internet ethernet cable ( from your dafs router)comes up, into a hub/switch, one port goes into your p.c with a patch lead ( straight) and another port on the hub/switch goes to your gamecube.

im not too sure on how to set up, or use hubs or switches, all i know is that they exist, and i think they can multiply and ethernet conection.
maybe someone else on here may have a better solution.

VioletSkye
Dec 6, 2003, 04:30 PM
Rich, you're exactly right about the hub. I used one at first before putting my GC on my network and it worked flawlessly. Unlike a router, it will not assign an IP for each device it simply multiplies the connection, which is why I had to call in to COmcast and register my BBA's MAC with them.

coco609
Dec 6, 2003, 05:21 PM
When I plugged it in from the router to my cube, it didnt recognize the cable, and I did put another NIC in it

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: coco609 on 2003-12-06 14:37 ]</font>

coco609
Dec 6, 2003, 07:19 PM
K, I'm tryin to connect to an online game (I don't have a Hunter's Liscense), just to see if I can. I get to where it says it's loading the DNS Server, then that's done, and then it gives me error 102, and tells me to check my settings...I'm sure they're all right, I'm beginning to hate the BBa, I've had it for like 3 weeks and still can't get it to work...

VioletSkye
Dec 6, 2003, 07:37 PM
On 2003-12-06 16:19, coco609 wrote:
K, I'm tryin to connect to an online game (I don't have a Hunter's Liscense), just to see if I can. I get to where it says it's loading the DNS Server, then that's done, and then it gives me error 102, and tells me to check my settings...I'm sure they're all right, I'm beginning to hate the BBa, I've had it for like 3 weeks and still can't get it to work...

actually the error 102 can be a good sign. It is often due to the fact that an IP is not being obtained from the DCHP server.

Who is you ISP and what type of broadband are you using? Cable, DSL?

I can tell you that if its Comcast cable the solution is simple. You need to call there tech support number and have them add the MAC address of the BBA to their system. Then you will be good to go. To find the MAC, remove the BBA and underneath will be a small white sticker with a 12 digit alphanumeric MAC starting with 000. Call tech support and have them register that number. After that try connecting and you should be fine.

coco609
Dec 7, 2003, 10:49 AM
My ISP is Alltel and I use DSL, I'm not sure why it's giving me the error, I'm 99% positive all the Network Settings I entered are correct

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: coco609 on 2003-12-07 07:54 ]</font>

VioletSkye
Dec 7, 2003, 01:39 PM
On 2003-12-07 07:49, coco609 wrote:
My ISP is Alltel and I use DSL, I'm not sure why it's giving me the error, I'm 99% positive all the Network Settings I entered are correct

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: coco609 on 2003-12-07 07:54 ]</font>

Try calling them and registering the BBA MAC like I mentioned above. Then let me know if that works.
Make sure to leave your network settings (on the memory card) to automatic and leave the proxy info blank.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2003-12-07 10:40 ]</font>

coco609
Dec 9, 2003, 03:19 PM
K, they said it wasn't necessary to, I still can't get it to work http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_cry.gif

VioletSkye
Dec 9, 2003, 03:35 PM
On 2003-12-09 12:19, coco609 wrote:
K, they said it wasn't necessary to, I still can't get it to work http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_cry.gif

Does your DSL service use PPPOE or PPPOA (point ot point over ethernet, point to point over ATM)? If so, then that is more than likely the problem. Do you have to actually sign in to use your DSL service on your PC? PPPOE requires that you use software to connect to the service.

Many of the new installations are PPP installs. Many larger DSL companies are moving away from the DHCP system because the PPP protocol simplifies for them. It allows them to use the pre-existing infrastructure that is already established. The downside is that it is more prone to disconnects and unlike cable the connection is not always "on."

Here are a few solutions that may help you.

1. Pick up a router.
2. Use ICS (internet connection sharing.)

NM the options, I reread the post and see that you have a router already and that you tried to use ICS. Sorry I'm still half asleep lol.

I will say this however , because of PPPOE's unusually small MTU setting, an improperly configured router or firewall wil make it impossible to receive info (packets) from some servers.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2003-12-09 13:22 ]</font>

coco609
Dec 9, 2003, 07:32 PM
I don't have to connect to the Internet on this computer, I open a program on the server computer which allows me to access the Internet. I'm connected to the server through a Hub, if that is of any consequence, should I still get a router? And I am using ICS. I don't know what to do anymore, lol.

VioletSkye
Dec 10, 2003, 03:36 PM
try a direct connect and set the network settings to use pppoe then type in username and address. This was suggested by another member, Miki.