PDA

View Full Version : The Last Samurai

LostHero
Dec 6, 2003, 03:04 PM
This is easily the best movie I have ever seen. Sorry Braveheart, Scarface etc but this movie was truly a masterpiece. Best action and drama I've ever seen.

- my .02

neko-chan
Dec 6, 2003, 04:07 PM
On 2003-12-06 12:04, LostHero wrote:
Sorry Braveheart

If your previous favourite was Braveheart, you don't understand anything about quality movies.

~Neko

P.S.
Hollywood's rule of the moment: throw something Japan-esque into any shitty movie: it will turn it into something appealing to the average US viewer.

Inu_Ranma
Dec 6, 2003, 04:08 PM
It got pretty bad reviews, but I want to see it anyway.

I dunno if it's the best, but even a bad ripoff of Shogun is bound to be a great movie, and it has potential to be a not-bad ripoff.

Bad Kan'ji, though. Very bad Kan'ji.

Robo47
Dec 6, 2003, 07:12 PM
Listen to whatever Inu-Ranma says, he is the autorta
on Japanese stuff!

Bradicus
Dec 6, 2003, 08:10 PM
Awsome final battle
Good story
The ninjas rocked

LostHero
Dec 6, 2003, 08:45 PM
On 2003-12-06 13:07, neko-chan wrote:

Sorry Braveheart

If your previous favourite was Braveheart, you don't understand anything about quality movies.

~Neko

P.S.
Hollywood's rule of the moment: throw something Japan-esque into any shitty movie: it will turn it into something appealing to the average US viewer.

Bais much? Braveheart and Scarface are references to movies commonly seen as all time favorites - but being a "average US viewer" I guess I don't know what I'm talking about.

Hollywood has been throwing in Oriental related themes and images to spice up movies ever since the 50's... Kung Fu the series, Bruce Lee... bah

The Last Samurai had great cinematography, acting, story, drama, fighting scenes and a solid theatrical score. If you thought it was crappy then I don't know what to say.

PS: All the reviews I've seen either mention "oscar worthy" or "4 stars" somewhere in the article so... I'm guessing the majority of bad reviews are from "otaku-esque" people who like to take advantage of easily criticize-able themes for some sense of self promotion or worth - because any real reviewer will still give credit to the strong points of a movie they disagree with.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LostHero on 2003-12-06 17:48 ]</font>

Dangerous55
Dec 6, 2003, 09:53 PM
Rip-off of Dances with Wolves.

I didnt see it yet, heh, but that is what it seems like it is.

Spartan117
Dec 6, 2003, 09:56 PM
Go see it then. It rocks and is one of the best Ive ever seen.

Eum
Dec 6, 2003, 10:02 PM
On 2003-12-06 16:12, Robo47 wrote:
Listen to whatever Inu-Ranma says, he is the autorta
on Japanese stuff!

OK? No.

Anyway, I'll probably see it. I'm not a huge fan of Tom Cruise, but I'll acknowledge he has his moments. The film does look beautiful from a cinematic standpoint.

polishedweasel
Dec 6, 2003, 11:59 PM
I'm going to see it. Just don't know when...*still unemployed*

Inu_Ranma
Dec 7, 2003, 12:08 AM
I wouldn't say I'm an authority on Japanese stuff. It's a hobby of mine, but excluding issues of Buddhism, I'm often wrong. A year of Japanese class does not make me an expert.
That being said, it was still bad Kan'ji.

The bad review I saw (2.5 stars out of 5, worse than the second Power Rangers movie was reviewed by a reviewer for the same 'zine...) was by an official reviewer. He hates everything, though, so I don't much trust it.

KaFKa
Dec 7, 2003, 12:13 AM
everybody says critics hate everything, but thats not true! we only hate what isnt perfect http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

im going to go see it tomorrow, i dont care if i have to go and blow some money on gas, from what i've heard, its easily one of the best movies this year.

dArKrEaVeR
Dec 7, 2003, 03:33 PM
[quote]
This is easily the best movie I have ever seen. Sorry Braveheart, Scarface etc but this movie was truly a masterpiece. Best action and drama I've ever seen.

- my .02

[I have yet to see the movie called last samurai, but i dont like the fact that the lead actor, (the so called last samurai) is not japanese. Look here A samurai is japanese and only japanese so come on you put tom cruise on the role someone who isnt even close to being japanese as the samurai, they could have at least put cha yun fatt hes not japanese but hes closer to it or jett li. I dont know i refuse to watch a movie where an american plays as a japanese role type character a samurai, thats like getting a mexican to play as a sumo wrestler!!!!!!

Inu_Ranma
Dec 7, 2003, 03:46 PM
On 2003-12-07 12:33, dArKrEaVeR wrote:

[I have yet to see the movie called last samurai, but i dont like the fact that the lead actor, (the so called last samurai) is not japanese. Look here A samurai is japanese and only japanese so come on you put tom cruise on the role someone who isnt even close to being japanese as the samurai, they could have at least put cha yun fatt hes not japanese but hes closer to it or jett li. I dont know i refuse to watch a movie where an american plays as a japanese role type character a samurai, thats like getting a mexican to play as a sumo wrestler!!!!!!

That's probably the worst possible reason to not watch the movie. Do you even know anything about the plot other than the fact that Tom Cruise wears armor and weilds Katana? Probably not. If a Japanese man had played that part, it would have not made sense, seeing as it is the part of an American soldier who gets caught up in that war. It's a fish out of water story. Saying it's bad because Tom Cruise is of European stock is incredibly short-sighted. You should at least see the movie, or the scripts before you make such a banal judgement.

Allos
Dec 7, 2003, 04:16 PM
On 2003-12-06 13:08, Inu_Ranma wrote:
It got pretty bad reviews

Who gave it bad reviews????? I've only seen good ones!

SubstanceD
Dec 7, 2003, 04:38 PM
On 2003-12-06 18:53, Dangerous55 wrote:
Rip-off of Dances with Wolves.

I didnt see it yet, heh, but that is what it seems like it is.

You are actually the second person that I have come across that has compared "The Last Samurai" to "Dances With Wolves" so I guess that there must be some similarites there, then again you do admit to having not seen the Last Samurai yet so how and why do you form this opinion.

I also have not seen The Last Samurai yet since it won't be released in Europe untill early next year ( either January or Febuary ) but I do plan to see it for the sole reason that there are Samurai and Samurai Swords and all that other Japanese stuff that I am facinated with.

By the way polished, don't get discourged, I myself am still Un-employed a full month and half after I quit my last job. Looking for a job is hard especially when you live in the middle of nowhere and there is no public transport near you and you don't have a drivers licence.

to be honest I am begining to get very worried about my employment situation

Dangerous55
Dec 7, 2003, 08:47 PM
On 2003-12-07 13:38, SubstanceD wrote:

You are actually the second person that I have come across that has compared "The Last Samurai" to "Dances With Wolves" so I guess that there must be some similarites there, then again you do admit to having not seen the Last Samurai yet so how and why do you form this opinion.

How did I? You dont have to have seen the movie to know the general plot. Dances with Wolves: A disillusioned Civil War vet and hero is caught up with the Sioux culture, eventually adopts it and fights alongside them. The Last Samurai: A disillusioned Civil War vet and hero is caught up with the Samurai culture, evetually adopts in and fights along side them.

Also from a little bit of what I saw it looks like it took parts from Glory, but that is no suprise because Ed Zwick did both.

LostHero
Dec 8, 2003, 04:54 AM
If you wanted to get technical, in the late 1800's there was a ex-military European that became famous for his study and acceptance in the Samurai world. I know I'm being vague, but I don't like naming precise titles if I'm not sure what they are.

RicoRoyal
Dec 8, 2003, 06:55 PM
I saw the movie on opening day. Yes, it was a very good movie. No, it was not an original idea. Yes, the plot resembled that of Dances with Wolves. Was it Dances with Wolves? F*** NO! This movie was in my opinion a retelling of a very commonly used story of the "white man" (the story of the westerners trying to take what is not theirs...blah blah blah). On it's own, this movie stands high and mighty. Comparing it to other similar movies, well, the story suddenly doesn't come off quite as attractive. Nonetheless, the movie was top-notch. I recommend that anyone and everyone go see this movie.

Make a note to yourself that if you have feedback (negative or positive) I would strongly advice that you see the movie before saying a word. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. An opinion however, is not supposed to be random words shooting out of ignorent/biased people's mouths. Yes, the movie got some bad reviews, and those critics made sure to explain as to why that was. Theyre reasoning was valid, very refuttable, but still valid nonetheless.

Bradicus
Dec 8, 2003, 07:06 PM
i watched something called XMA after i saw the movie...
http://www.xmarevolution.com/phpnuke/modules/My_eGallery/gallery/usopen/DSC_5236.jpg
This guy made EVERY move from the movie look like rat piss. If you get the Discovery Channel, i seriously suggest that you look for a re-airing of this program.

Spartan117
Dec 8, 2003, 07:30 PM
Anyone remember the parts with BOB.

Tom Cruise: I think Ill call you Bob.

Silent Samurai: ....

________

Tom Cruise: Are you a ladies man Bob?

________

Tom Cruise: I think I know why youre silent. Is it because you wear a dress?

__________________________________________________ ____

Hehe Bob is cool.

starhealer
Dec 9, 2003, 09:25 AM
On 2003-12-08 16:06, Bradicus wrote:
http://www.xmarevolution.com/phpnuke/modules/My_eGallery/gallery/usopen/DSC_5236.jpg
This guy made EVERY move from the movie look like rat piss. If you get the Discovery Channel, i seriously suggest that you look for a re-airing of this program.

I saw that. Interesting show, indeed. Though I didn't learn a terrible lot...just that the people looked pretty when they made them into little skeleton/muscle thingies. *kidding* Actually seeing how one's entire muscle structure moves and bones pivot while fighting was rather fascinating.

And they demonstrated with linked weapons. Rawh.

Aredhel
Dec 9, 2003, 10:05 AM
OT: Yes! My dojang recently purchased the XMA program - I can't wait to see what we do with it! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Anyways, I have yet to see the movie but am quite eager to do so. I have never seen Dances With Wolves, so this will be a new experience for me http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

I'm worried about my work situation much like many of you guys - the thing is, I'm worried that since I DO have a job, I'll never get time to see it! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Bradicus
Dec 9, 2003, 11:23 AM
I saw that. Interesting show, indeed. Though I didn't learn a terrible lot...just that the people looked pretty when they made them into little skeleton/muscle thingies. *kidding* Actually seeing how one's entire muscle structure moves and bones pivot while fighting was rather fascinating.

And they demonstrated with linked weapons. Rawh.

The skeletons were neat, and I was very interested in how their bones reform themselves even stronger than before... I was a bit let down by the lack of real fighting in the tournament, but the guy in the pic (John Boyd?) made up for it.

back on topic- Bob was pretty damn cool, but i liked the archer better Jolly good! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bradicus on 2003-12-09 12:46 ]</font>

LostHero
Dec 9, 2003, 10:21 PM
Bradicus, what exactly is the point of comparing a professional swordmaster whose practiced the art his entire life - to actors who spent a year in rushed training?

polishedweasel
Dec 9, 2003, 11:09 PM
On 2003-12-08 16:06, Bradicus wrote:

Me and my girlfriend watch that last week...That guy is like that king of weapons combat.

Bradicus
Dec 10, 2003, 07:59 AM
On 2003-12-09 19:21, LostHero wrote:
Bradicus, what exactly is the point of comparing a professional swordmaster whose practiced the art his entire life - to actors who spent a year in rushed training?

The shameless plugging of a good documentary?

BogusKun
Dec 10, 2003, 12:54 PM
I had a nice night with my girlfriend.
She was dressed in this nice red dress of scarlet.

The movie sucked btw.

Anubis_
Dec 10, 2003, 02:01 PM
Is Tom Cruise the Last Samurai,, and if so.. Why is the last Samurai Whi.. a Caucasian Guy..??

Inu_Ranma
Dec 10, 2003, 02:46 PM

Try to ignore the title of the movie if you're reviewing it. It is not a basis on which to judge the entire film. It's a title!!

Dangerous55
Dec 10, 2003, 03:12 PM
s

On 2003-12-10 11:01, Anubis_ wrote:
Is Tom Cruise the Last Samurai,, and if so.. Why is the last Samurai Whi.. a Caucasian Guy..??

That is where the story comes in.

Cloud_01
Dec 14, 2003, 11:07 PM
I saw it today and I can easily say it is the best damn movie I've ever seen. Anyone who hasn't seen it yet, should really go check it out before you make any false accusations about it. Tom Cruise did a great job with his part in the movie. The story developed greatly throughout the movie and finished off with a great ending even though it was sad to some extent. I'm not ashamed to admit it got me a little teary.

On a final note, GO SEE THE LAST SAMURAI!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cloud_01 on 2003-12-14 20:08 ]</font>