PDA

View Full Version : GC: I have a NET GEAR ROUTER and my ISP is COMCAST "HELP PLZ

TekkamanBlade
Dec 7, 2003, 12:49 AM
oK I HAVE EVERYTHING HOOKED UP RIGHT , AND ITS ASKING FOR A ACCOUNT NAME AND DOMAIN NAME!? I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I NEED TO TYPE DOWN. CAN ANYONE PLZ HELP "ASAP"

DarkSoldier
Dec 7, 2003, 12:56 AM
I think its saying type in your online name and what is your Isp number is Im not sure.

Rich_T
Dec 7, 2003, 05:55 AM
First of all, your caps lock appears to be on, if you push the caps lock button you should be able to write in lower case.

oK I HAVE EVERYTHING HOOKED UP RIGHT , AND ITS ASKING FOR A ACCOUNT NAME AND DOMAIN NAME
whats asking for an account name and a domain name?
your P.C or your gamecube?

On the gamecubetry setting everything to automatic, and leave all fields in the gamecube set up blank or as they are.
i think you may need to call comcats to register your gamecubes BBA MAC address, this can be found on the BBA near a barcode ( you need to remove the bba) and its a 12 digit number.

gallaugher
Dec 9, 2003, 12:13 PM
I think Comcast only needs your Mac Address if you have a Static IP address (not likely). Power off/on the cable modem should do. I am certain that Comcast does not use 'usernames & passwords'. That's either for dial up or PPPOE (DSL). So you don't need to fill that stuff in.

There is an online setup guide on this site. The little PSO manual itself explains this setup.

VioletSkye
Dec 9, 2003, 01:35 PM
On 2003-12-09 09:13, gallaugher wrote:
I think Comcast only needs your Mac Address if you have a Static IP address (not likely). Power off/on the cable modem should do. I am certain that Comcast does not use 'usernames & passwords'. That's either for dial up or PPPOE (DSL). So you don't need to fill that stuff in.

There is an online setup guide on this site. The little PSO manual itself explains this setup.

Comcast users almost always have to registertheir macs with comcast unless they are using a router that has assigned it an IP. The reason is Comcast's DHCP servers will refuse to give an IP address to any device that it doesn't recognize. Same reason that you need to call them if you do a manaul installation (recommended.) You don't need to sign in to their service, so there is no username or password unless you are logging into their site for stuff like email settings or bill pay. Comcast users do not have a static IP (unless you want to pay extra for it) though it doesn't change very often.

But just to reiterate, if you are using a direct connect or a hub you will absolutely need to call comcast and register the BBA MAC.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2003-12-09 12:49 ]</font>

gallaugher
Dec 9, 2003, 04:10 PM
Hmmm, another personal experience gone awry. That was based on a conversation with a Cable Modem tech guy. I thought the ISP was Comcast, maybe it wasn't :|