PDA

View Full Version : bisexuality

Droit
Dec 8, 2003, 09:32 AM
i have recently figured out that i am. go me. is anyone else here?

Droit
Dec 8, 2003, 09:34 AM
err...this isn't supposed to be in rants.......

LamerPanda
Dec 8, 2003, 09:44 AM
Where is it supposed to be? Someone will probably move it for you.

I can think of a few forum members that are, though, dig around in Rants some and there's actually a few topics where it's at least briefly mentioned -

http://pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=70932&forum=11&24
http://pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=71138&forum=11&14

anwserman
Dec 8, 2003, 10:09 AM
Yeah, its nothing to be ashamed with... We're in the same boat (look in the first URL given in the above post)...

And if anybody says its wrong to be that way (gay) kick 'em in the nuts or punch 'em in the face. They deserve to be beat if they can't accept a difference that we have no control over.

Allos
Dec 8, 2003, 10:10 AM
Good for you, though I'm straight as a.....well...whatever is really straight.

Droit
Dec 8, 2003, 10:28 AM
thanks guys, i live in alabama so telling anyone here is suicidal. but hey,i'm proud to be bisexual

-Luke-
Dec 8, 2003, 11:44 AM
Dude, live your life however you want to. If people there cannot accept the way you want to live, fuck em. It's not their business.
Luke

Dime
Dec 8, 2003, 01:57 PM
I wish I were a lesbian.

And female.

And hot.

Eum
Dec 8, 2003, 01:59 PM
I don't think it's something you should advertise. I don't go around waving my sexuality on a flag because I'd rather not be categorized by it. I'm more than who I'm attracted to, and I think everyone should adopt such.

Oh, and don't harm another person because they don't approve of who you are. Contrary to popular belief, giving people a bad reputation by dealing with differences in opinions with violence is not a positive thing. Keep an open mind.

Droit
Dec 8, 2003, 02:30 PM
well, i was mad and needed to vent, i didn't intend on posting here, t'was really an accident, i lost all my friends over the course of the weekend and couldn't tell anyone about it and had hoped for help here

Shake
Dec 8, 2003, 03:07 PM
You lost all of your friends?

Wow. When stuff like this happens, you learn who your true friends are, eh?

Dangerous55
Dec 8, 2003, 03:23 PM
Dont tell anyone, who really cares what gets you off, cause that is basically what it is.

darthsaber9x9
Dec 8, 2003, 03:38 PM
its cool u can say it. as others said, if its good for you then thats all that matters really. im as straight as er a erm.....IRONINg BOARD!(its right next to me!) but yeah go you!

HUnewearl_Meira
Dec 8, 2003, 03:45 PM
I'm not bisexual, personally, but I find the concept to be interesting. A bisexual person can say that they're attracted to humans in general. You look around, and anyone you see is a potential date.

Still though, I would advise to anyone who thinks they're a slave to their sexual preference-- it's your mind. What are you going to do with it?
If you're content to be anything other then heterosexual, then that's good (you're happy with what you are), but if you're not content, then remember that everything that builds your personality is the result of the habits you've developed, whether internally or externally. Given a little time and little discipline, you can change yourself to be whatever you want to be. I've reworked my own personality a great number of times, myself. Never really changed my sexual preference on a grand scale... But I've picked and choosed what I like and what I don't.

Think about it. Why aren't Black men as commonly attracted to White women, and why aren't White men as commonly attracted to Black women? Why aren't Middle-Eastern men typically attracted to Asian women?
It all hinges on what the individual is used to. It's not a racial trait-- A black girl looks odd to a white boy, because he grew up in a white family; just the same, a white girl looks odd to a black boy, because he grew up in a black family.

So you prefer men to women. Undoubtedly you've had a series of experiences, perhaps some were more subtle than others, that lead you to the conclusion that companionship with a man is more satisfying to you than companionship with a woman, for what ever reason, whether you're aware of it or not. We are not hardwired to prefer one sex to another (I believe our culture is plenty enough to prove that statement), and quite honestly, I don't think estrogen and testosterone balances have anything to do with it.

So, in short, if you're happy with your orientation, then more power to you. Otherwise, you'd be wise to start changing the way you think.

NKOTB
Dec 8, 2003, 04:09 PM
I'll never understand how/when/where/why PSOW became the universal crying shoulder.

ABDUR101
Dec 8, 2003, 04:38 PM
On 2003-12-08 12:45, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:
I'm not bisexual, personally, but I find the concept to be interesting. A bisexual person can say that they're attracted to humans in general. You look around, and anyone you see is a potential date.

You hit the nail right on the head actually.

A new co-worker and I were getting to know each other when she had just been hired, and we always went out to lunch together to talk and get to know each other. One time she asked, "Are you homosexual?", and I actually laughed, because most people in the area don't want to know the answer to that question, they'd rather avoid it unless they can get the upper hand, something to hang over you. Then she explained that she has a brother and a sister who are homosexual, which made it easier to tell her.

Abit later, she asked, "when did you realise it?" Well, thats abit hard to explain, because it wasn't much of a realization for me. At first, I had thoughts about it, but it rather conflicted with how I had been raised and went against my own beleifs.

But there was a difference still. I'd be at the mall, in stores, etc, and people would catch my eye, men and women. And after a while, I realised that there never was a time when "it" was realised, there was no "it". I just realised that I was just as comfortable giving and receiving love and companionship from a man or woman.

And no, you don't have to tell anyone. You would'nt expect people to walk up to you and say "Hi, I'm straight", so no one has expectations of you to come up and say "Hi, I'm bisexual/homosexual/etc".(I heard that from somewhere, but for the life of me I can't remember where)

Maybe your friends are more or less "shocked" by the reality of it? I don't know, I guess it depends on the area you live and everyone's tolerance level. All you can do is just act how you normally act, and if you being bisexual effects them in such a negative way, it's their problem. Obviously you're the same person, and if they can't accept that you're just being honest with them, then it's something they have to deal with for themselves.

On 2003-12-08 13:09, NKOTB wrote:
I'll never understand how/when/where/why PSOW became the universal crying shoulder.

Heh, this has always been a place for users to ask for help in Off-topic. There's always been a place for people to talk about practically anything they wanted here, thats prolly why alot of the users stay, even though they've stopped playing the game.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ABDUR101 on 2003-12-08 14:03 ]</font>

SpikeOtacon
Dec 8, 2003, 04:43 PM
I quote Woody Allen:

Being bisexual increases your chances of a date on a saturday night by 200%

I'm not Bi, but I know a few people who are. It's not that bad of a thing, really. If that's the way they want it, then fine, let them have thier cake and eat it too.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SpikeOtacon on 2003-12-08 13:44 ]</font>

NKOTB
Dec 8, 2003, 06:06 PM
On 2003-12-08 13:38, ABDUR101 wrote:

Heh, this has always been a place for users to ask for help in Off-topic.

Ha, that's like calling a plumber to fix a broken leg.

Monomate
Dec 8, 2003, 06:25 PM
Kid Notorious:

"All love is cool."

So long as I'm not a part of it I'm cool with it...

One really weird thing is that a lot of homophobes are scared that gay people will just come up and rape them or something...i don't get that...homophobes are really really insecure...

NKOTB
Dec 8, 2003, 06:32 PM
On 2003-12-08 15:25, Monomate wrote:
[quote]

One really weird thing is that a lot of homophobes are scared that gay people will just come up and rape them or something...i don't get that...homophobes are really really insecure...

What's also weird is how if you don't agree with homosexuality you are an intolerant, homophobe, insensitive, religios right wing wacko, asshole, that kidnaps gays and beats them to death in a field in Colorado.

HUnewearl_Meira
Dec 8, 2003, 06:59 PM
On 2003-12-08 15:32, NKOTB wrote:

What's also weird is how if you don't agree with homosexuality you are an intolerant, homophobe, insensitive, religios right wing wacko, asshole, that kidnaps gays and beats them to death in a field in Colorado.

Why is it always Colorado? The Columbine Shootings, Gays getting beat up, destination for people fleeing the Y2k bug... Why not somewhere else like, Wyoming or South Dakota?

ABDUR101
Dec 8, 2003, 07:05 PM
On 2003-12-08 15:06, NKOTB wrote:
Ha, that's like calling a plumber to fix a broken leg.

Yeah, considering some of the "advice" I've seen you give, it can be like that.

This is a community for members to discuss things, and sometimes, those things are problems that they have, and that they can't easily discuss with those around them. They come here to discuss it because they feel comfortable with the other members.

Funny, I thought a web based community was where everyone gave their input on topics being discussed. Could be wrong!

Solstis
Dec 8, 2003, 09:40 PM
Why is it always Colorado? The Columbine Shootings, Gays getting beat up, destination for people fleeing the Y2k bug... Why not somewhere else like, Wyoming or South Dakota?

Because... of the Denver Lions? Tells ya something about Colorado http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif.

-Is as straight as a rusty woodchipper... whatever that means.

[Edit]: Sorry 'bout the whole off-topicness, but there will be a day when the Lions move to Denver.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Solstis on 2003-12-09 17:42 ]</font>

anwserman
Dec 8, 2003, 10:16 PM
I thought what happened to Matthew Sheppard was killed in Missouri or something. Down there, at least.

Oh, another thing, being bi does NOT mean the chances of having a date increase - remember, you cannot choose who to be attracted to, so if you're attracted to men at the time, then you're really going to look for men and not women. Same vice versa really.

It just, well, that you have more options available to you... not necessairly at the same time though.

anwserman
Dec 8, 2003, 10:23 PM
On 2003-12-08 12:45, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:

Still though, I would advise to anyone who thinks they're a slave to their sexual preference-- it's your mind. What are you going to do with it?
If you're content to be anything other then heterosexual, then that's good (you're happy with what you are), but if you're not content, then remember that everything that builds your personality is the result of the habits you've developed, whether internally or externally. Given a little time and little discipline, you can change yourself to be whatever you want to be. I've reworked my own personality a great number of times, myself. Never really changed my sexual preference on a grand scale... But I've picked and choosed what I like and what I don't.

Think about it. Why aren't Black men as commonly attracted to White women, and why aren't White men as commonly attracted to Black women? Why aren't Middle-Eastern men typically attracted to Asian women?
It all hinges on what the individual is used to. It's not a racial trait-- A black girl looks odd to a white boy, because he grew up in a white family; just the same, a white girl looks odd to a black boy, because he grew up in a black family.

So you prefer men to women. Undoubtedly you've had a series of experiences, perhaps some were more subtle than others, that lead you to the conclusion that companionship with a man is more satisfying to you than companionship with a woman, for what ever reason, whether you're aware of it or not. We are not hardwired to prefer one sex to another (I believe our culture is plenty enough to prove that statement), and quite honestly, I don't think estrogen and testosterone balances have anything to do with it.

So, in short, if you're happy with your orientation, then more power to you. Otherwise, you'd be wise to start changing the way you think.

Actually, I do have to contest that thought. I did like girls until like age 12 - when adolenscene started - and well, my sexual preference did indeed change. Hell, I remember thinking when I was like 10 how sad and pathetic it must be to be gay... and a couple years later I was gay. I didn't change it, and I'll be the first to admit it, I honestly did like girls. But once those hormones got flowing, everything society wanted me to like was thrown out the window. And now I like men. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Oh, to the person who said we shouldn't wave our sexuality around like a flag... we wouldn't have to wave it around to make it visible if society didn't assume and treat us like we're straight without even knowing. To tell somebody that we're gay ends that "what society wants" trash out the window - from that person at least - I'd be one less person we'd have to tell we're gay. But since society expects us to be straight, we have to tell society that some of us are different and to live with it.

By the way, did anybody watch VH1's "Totally Gay" special tonight? Since I had to go play volleyball, I recorded it onto my computer. I have most of it on my HD, so if somebody wants it we can propose a trade or something. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif its like 500 MB mpeg-file!

Guile
Dec 9, 2003, 01:18 AM
My friend once described Bisexuals as, "Greedy Bastards!"
It was a good laugh...good for you..I guess.

HUnewearl_Meira
Dec 9, 2003, 12:03 PM
On 2003-12-08 19:23, anwserman wrote:
Actually, I do have to contest that thought. I did like girls until like age 12 - when adolenscene started - and well, my sexual preference did indeed change. Hell, I remember thinking when I was like 10 how sad and pathetic it must be to be gay... and a couple years later I was gay. I didn't change it, and I'll be the first to admit it, I honestly did like girls. But once those hormones got flowing, everything society wanted me to like was thrown out the window. And now I like men. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Oh, to the person who said we shouldn't wave our sexuality around like a flag... we wouldn't have to wave it around to make it visible if society didn't assume and treat us like we're straight without even knowing. To tell somebody that we're gay ends that "what society wants" trash out the window - from that person at least - I'd be one less person we'd have to tell we're gay. But since society expects us to be straight, we have to tell society that some of us are different and to live with it.

You could have a different sexual preference if you wanted to. The fact is though, that you don't. Now, I'm not saying that you should change. If you're happy with the way you are, then good. But to deny that you have the ability to change yourself, is to deny that you have any significant amount of control over yourself. No matter how you paint it, whether you're aware of the reason or not, something persuaded you to decide that you prefer the companionship of men. Just the same, something persuaded me to prefer the companionship of women. We are not hardwired to prefer one sex over the other.

Now, I'm not saying that you chose to be gay. I am saying that it's within your power to choose to be something other than gay. It wouldn't be an overnight change, by any means. It'd take time to dig around in yourown mind and change things, and it'd take discipline to indoctrinate yourself into a different mindset. But it can be done. It's been done before, and it'll be done again.

Now, how do I know that this is the way it works? 22 years of observation in the way my own mind works, combined with about 8 years worth of observing others' behavior, and contrasting it against what I know of their past experiences. I've gotten quite good at it. On occasion, I've been able to tell people things about their past that they'd never share with anyone. Dark secrets that can be read off of their behavior like words printed in bold letters. On a side note, I also vividly recall contemplating existentialism when I was in first grade (I really used to confuse my parents that way...).

In any case, when it comes to personality functions, it's generally not that a person can't change things, it's that they won't change things. Everybody's got that one little bad habit, that they know they should change, but just can't bear to let go of. It's not a matter of inability, it's a matter of refusal. You'd be surprised at how many things you do without being aware of the cause.

In closing, I say do what ever is most comfortable to you. You do have a choice, but that doesn't mean that you have to take it. A personality shift that large would be a very depressing experience, and if you don't see a need for it, then there isn't one.

Rep0
Dec 9, 2003, 05:11 PM
Being bisexual is a trend, just like being "goth" or "goth."

HUnewearl_Meira
Dec 9, 2003, 05:21 PM
Well, no, not really. Goths are trying to make a statement. Bisexuals are just romantically attracted to both sexes (Hmm, "sexes" is a palindrome-- interesting). There's no philosophical point they're aiming at, as a whole. They just dig all the guys and gals, to oversimplify the point.

LamerPanda
Dec 9, 2003, 05:21 PM
Well, yes and no.

Some people (mostly young teens/preteens) just try it to see what it's like, but if someone older is claiming it, chances are it's legit.

LostHero
Dec 9, 2003, 10:19 PM
good for you...