PDA

View Full Version : Xbox or Gamecube?

kevlar_pso
Dec 10, 2003, 01:07 PM
Ok, for everyone that has and plays both the Xbox and Gamecube Ep. I&II, what do you preferr and why? What are the Pros and Cons of each? If some1 u know has Live and only plays the GC version, how would you convince them and vice versa?

Barubary6
Dec 10, 2003, 01:31 PM
GC Version:

- More people
- International users
- Far less item hacking (though duping is rampant)
- Many more quests
- Get quests earlier
- Interact with Episode 3

-- Barubary

anwserman
Dec 10, 2003, 01:40 PM
This is going to turn into a console flame war.... I actually own three versions of PSO, one for the DC, GC and the X-Box versions.

Regardless, ask yourself a couple of questions. Do you have a Gamecube or an X-Box? If you have one or the other, get that version hands down. If you have both, what type of internet connection do you have? If you don't have broadband, you have to get the GC version. If you do have broadband, two options suddenly appear:

Getting PSOGC ($50) and a broadband adapter ($30), about $80-$90 total.
Getting PSOX, ($40) and X-Box Live Starter Kit ($50), about $90 to $100 total.

GC gets only one month free, while X-Box gets two free months of online play. If you have X-Box live, definately get PSOX. It is cheaper to go that way then buying additional equipment for the GC.

Basically, the GC/XBox versions are equal compared to the pros and cons both have. It just depends on what equipment you already have, and the additional investment needed to get PSO up and running.

Barubary6
Dec 10, 2003, 01:41 PM
On 2003-12-10 10:40, anwserman wrote:
GC gets only one month free, while X-Box gets two free months of online play. If you have X-Box live, definately get PSOX. It is cheaper to go that way then buying additional equipment for the GC.

GC is much cheaper if you get PSO Plus from Japan and pay only $5/month!

-- Barubary

anwserman
Dec 10, 2003, 01:44 PM
On 2003-12-10 10:41, Barubary6 wrote:

On 2003-12-10 10:40, anwserman wrote:

GC is much cheaper if you get PSO Plus from Japan and pay only $5/month!

-- Barubary

But you have that initial investment of getting your GC modded... sending it out somewhere to an unknown location. Or Barubary, have you hacked the GC to let it play import games yet? Hehehe!

*sighs*... Barubary is right, but I have a hunch he's not going to import a game or get his console modded. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/doughboy.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: anwserman on 2003-12-10 10:45 ]</font>

Barubary6
Dec 10, 2003, 01:54 PM
You can always buy the $10 FreeLoader. Also, modding a Gamecube is easier than any other console out there. You need a $1 switch from Radio Shack, some wires, and a glue gun. No chip required.

*modded her Gamecube in October 2002 to play Japanese PSO*

-- Barubary

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Barubary6 on 2003-12-10 10:54 ]</font>

anwserman
Dec 10, 2003, 02:04 PM
*smacks head against wall*

I should have figured... http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Photek
Dec 10, 2003, 04:39 PM
well i have played both versions

i got GC pso its day of release,

i got xbox pso the day of its release.

played pSO X for a couple months then quickly went back to gc pso.

I didnt really care for voice chat. I prefer using a ASCII keyboard. i guess its more of that orignal pso feel. While i think voice chat is best for games like Counter strike and RTCW rather than pso.

while the graphics are better on pso X. EPII looks simply amazing. i still prefer the GC pso. International players is a big thing for me as i cmode. i think the cmode scene is MUCH better on gc pso.

Not to mention we get the quests before xbox,

i have way more friends on gc pso

and we get EP III

while im a daily xbox live player i prefer it for the sports and shooters. when i want to pso i fire up the gc instead.

Da_Wrecka
Dec 10, 2003, 04:58 PM
On 2003-12-10 10:54, Barubary6 wrote:
You can always buy the $10 FreeLoader. Also, modding a Gamecube is easier than any other console out there. You need a $1 switch from Radio Shack, some wires, and a glue gun. No chip required.

Unless you're like me and a schmo with a PAL Gamecube, in which case you're just screwed http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

VioletSkye
Dec 10, 2003, 05:02 PM
On 2003-12-10 13:58, Da_Wrecka wrote:

On 2003-12-10 10:54, Barubary6 wrote:

Unless you're like me and a schmo with a PAL Gamecube, in which case you're just screwed http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

gotcha covered.
http://uk.codejunkies.com/shop/product.asp?c=GB&cr=GBP&cs=£&r=1&l=1&ProdID=142&CountryID=GB

primer567
Dec 10, 2003, 05:34 PM
*modded her Gamecube in October 2002 to play Japanese PSO*
Putting in a switch doesn't really count as a mod.

Blitzkommando
Dec 10, 2003, 05:47 PM
I have GC PSO and have enjoyed it most of the time (other than my attemps at Mines Ultimate online... alone XD). Anyway I must say that the international feel to the GC is nice and that the greater number of people is a big plus. Not to mention the quests earlier. However I figure get the one you have the most friends with or that you feel you will enjoy most.

kevlar_pso
Dec 10, 2003, 07:46 PM
Ya know, after much deliberation, I decided to cast my vote for Xbox PSO. Just from the fact alone that I play Xbox PSO way more than GC PSO.
Now the voice chat is cool, but the voice lag is weak. And when you have 3 or more ppl talkin @once, u need to bust out your KB. Also, payin for a Xbox HL and Xbox Live sux rocks. And we don't have much to show for that. C mode is almost non-existant, sure not much dupin, but you have the Al Rappy unit. You can see every1 on your list when you are online w/out havin to manually search every1 out. That is a huge plus.
GC has 5,000 more quests, better support for those quests, i.e. the halloween Xbox quest let down. Has international players, although I think if there was internation players on the Xbox PSO there would be a lot of predjudice goin down. GC has the KB controller, which is pretty cool, but put me out $75 to get it to Alaska, from England, from Japan! lol I had dail up @1st, then switched to BBA, $70-$80, whatever that turned out to be. Got fsodded way too much when I had dial up.

I'm sure if I thought about it more I could think of more pros and cons to each. But when it comes down to it, I play PSO Xbox more. One of the guys from work comes over several times a week to play PSO. Used to be he played GC, now he only plays Xbox. The only motivation he has to play GC is to get his 4th evolution mag, only 5 tedious levels to go, and to reach Ult, a good week away if he only played GC w/his lev 73 force.

kevlar_pso
Dec 10, 2003, 07:51 PM
[/quote]anwserman
Killer Peck of Death

Mood: In the night, dream delight!
Posted: 2003-12-10 10:40
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is going to turn into a console flame war.... I actually own three versions of PSO, one for the DC, GC and the X-Box versions.

Regardless, ask yourself a couple of questions. Do you have a Gamecube or an X-Box? If you have one or the other, get that version hands down. If you have both, what type of internet connection do you have? If you don't have broadband, you have to get the GC version. If you do have broadband, two options suddenly appear:

Getting PSOGC ($50) and a broadband adapter ($30), about $80-$90 total.
Getting PSOX, ($40) and X-Box Live Starter Kit ($50), about $90 to $100 total.

Basically, the GC/XBox versions are equal compared to the pros and cons both have. It just depends on what equipment you already have, and the additional investment needed to get PSO up and running.

You said that Xbox version was cheaper? I disagree, sure you get one more month free, but you are playin for both Live and the HL. Sure the KB controller is a chunk of change but after payin out for the HL and Xbox live, The Xbox version is more expensive. As far as investments go, I've invested too much into PSO as a whole, on all three consoles, and it don't stop.

Razor_Burn
Dec 10, 2003, 08:18 PM
On 2003-12-10 14:34, primer567 wrote:

Putting in a switch doesn't really count as a mod.

It requires much more than just installing a switch from what I read.

jerrelle
Dec 11, 2003, 04:03 PM
kevlar, look at his mathematics. his math has the xbox version = or greater than. as for the same damn issue that it always comes down to, "paying for hl and xbox live". why must it always come down to that? have people not gotten it through their heads that live is not just for 1 game? with the bba and modem for gc, you have one game, with the possibility of 2 if they implement this supposed program to play double dash online. where as xbox live enables you to play well over 25 games online! i'm not knocking the cube at all, i just hate this numbers game that people seem to pull out of their @$$ when it comes to who pays more.

the only people that xbox live should pi$$ off is those who do not have broadband but want their pso fix. which i believe is not that huge a number, but that is my opinion.

primer567
Dec 11, 2003, 04:05 PM
Get an Xbox and do a TRUE mod.

ZygonCorta
Dec 11, 2003, 04:52 PM
Xbox can't compare to the Gamecube in any way. I just PSO on gamecube. And gamecube games, I think, are way better than xbox(suxxxxxx).

Asia_Skyly
Dec 11, 2003, 05:52 PM
http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif^^Wow what an eloquent argument... NOT! Of course you can compare both consoles!

I think over all, both versions are the same. While the Xbox has its pluses (Voice chat, no crazy cheats -multi equip, max stat-, no FSODX, no corruption, etc), they are offset by the pluses in the Gamecube's version of the game (Larger user base, international user base, more content, etc).

As you can see, you can indeed compare both platforms. You can also get into arguments as to which one looks better, which one sounds better, etc. Nevertheless what it REALLY comes down to is what console do you own or want to own. If you own both, and have BB, go Xbox, otherwise, go Cube.

Toruxxx
Dec 11, 2003, 06:14 PM
On 2003-12-11 13:52, ZygonCorta wrote:
Xbox can't compare to the Gamecube in any way. I just PSO on gamecube. And gamecube games, I think, are way better than xbox(suxxxxxx).

sorry i have to say this u are a silly lil gamecube fanboy i have both xbox and gamecube and i think they are both really the same both play great games on em not jus pso but alot of different ones. but u saying that xbox sux i think u are wrong im not even gonna ask u if u have played one coz u will probably go yea it sux but u should take ur time and play em b4 u say they suk i think both consule's are good.

o yea and for the what do i play pso on its gamecube jus like the chattin with a keyboard lol and plus has more ppl on it so i can chat to cool ppl in the US ^_^ not jus the germans and french on xbox pso no affence u guys ur cool to jus gets boreing lol.

anwserman
Dec 11, 2003, 07:16 PM
On 2003-12-11 13:52, ZygonCorta wrote:

Obviously more people in the world disagree with you, as if what you said was the truth X-Box would be in last place with the console wars. Plus, what I said is the truth 'This thread is going to turn into nothing but console wars'. If you make a statement about why a console sucks, explain what brought you to that reasoning other then "Gamecube pwns x-box azz losr!11!!!!1111!!!!!!!1! gamecube rulz the galxy you flamrs!" Indeed, the Gamecube does rule the X-Box for that very reason. </sarcasm>

On 2003-12-11 14:52, Asia_Skyly wrote:
http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif^^Wow what an eloquent argument... NOT! Of course you can compare both consoles!

I think over all, both versions are the same. While the Xbox has its pluses (Voice chat, no crazy cheats -multi equip, max stat-, no FSODX, no corruption, etc), they are offset by the pluses in the Gamecube's version of the game (Larger user base, international user base, more content, etc).

As you can see, you can indeed compare both platforms. You can also get into arguments as to which one looks better, which one sounds better, etc. Nevertheless what it REALLY comes down to is what console do you own or want to own. If you own both, and have BB, go Xbox, otherwise, go Cube.

Essentially what I stated Asia! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif People really do like to argue about crap they really don't know about. "You have to pay for X-Box Live losers!!!!!" Um, do you even HAVE X-Box live to make that statement? I hate to tell ya, I never play online games but I do now because X-Box live is such a convenience... Microsoft should be given an award for this huge innovation. Unlike PC games (and PS2 games at the moment) you have to register for EVERY INDIVIDUAL GAME, which means multiple companies billing you, and multiple ids and passwords. X-Box live you get one name, and you get billed only from the same company, not numerous individual ones.

To any fanboy to hates X-Box: PLAY THE DAMN SYSTEM BEFORE JUDGING AGAINST IT. Your ignorant comments are not wanted. Saying that the controller is too big and bulky obviously means that YOU HAVEN'T USED CONTROLLER S BEFORE. If you say controller S is too clunky too, it is almost like a cross between the Dreamcast and PS2 controllers. It is a good controller. I hate to tell you, I have more issues with the GC controller then the X-Box controller, and that comment is legit since I own the GC!

Own both systems, play both systems before judging. Stating that you only own a GC and hate the X-Box due to the fact that its made my Microsoft or that the controller is big only shows your stupidity and immaturity for hating a system that indeed has a good selection of games and features. Give it up, really.

kevlar_pso
Dec 11, 2003, 08:04 PM
d@mn jerrelle, I didn't think I did anythin to pi$$ u off but, d@mn. Yes there are more games online on xbox? Of fuc|<ing course. Why don't you just spell everything out? Why not say Xbox is Green? I have live but I only play PSO on live. not that I don't like other live games, it's just that I'm sucha PSO fan. I have both, u do whatever math ya want sand save your b!tchin for some1 who pi$$ed ya off. As far as flamewars, it becomes that if ppl make it out to be that. ^%*% I must be tired, I need to go to sleep b4 I start goin off on ppl. *grumble* *grumble* *pi$$ and moan*

badbitz
Dec 11, 2003, 09:20 PM
ummm ok wats with the email link

Outrider
Dec 12, 2003, 02:00 AM
It's cause he added in the @ sign.

And you know, I was wondering when another console war thread would start up. I always love the arguments that are just moot.

Graphics (Always one of my favorites. It's a port, people! And a bad one at that! Guess what, no difference!)

X-Box Live (Uh, yeah... if you're gonna get Live for just PSO, it's a bit of a waste of money. Pick up MechAssault or something and do yourself a favor. Too good a setup to waste on one game.)

Let's see... Um, I just dislike the placement of the Start, Back, White and Black buttons on the Controller S... what were they thinking?

Oh yeah, and whoever said that the GCN version was cheaper... I seem to remember the Broadband adapter being more like 40 bucks. So by your calculations, shouldn't the two prices have been equal?

I think that's everything I wanted to touch on. Seriously, people. Just get it for whatever system you have. If you have both, get it for whatever system most of your friends might have it for. Or whatever you find it cheaper for. Jeez.

Photek
Dec 12, 2003, 12:30 PM
i dont understand why people diss other systems. people like that only play what mommy buys. THE REAL adult gamers dont judge things like that.

all 3 consoles are great and offer something diffrent for everyone. I currently own a xbox and a gc. I plan on owning another ps2 by xmas. but honestly if i had to choose on one being the weaker system i would have to say gc is. its just doesnt offer enough content like the xbox does.

honestly when it comes down to it i have spent alot more money on gc pso than i ever did on xbox. stating that you have to buy live to play pso X is not a valid arguement as most xbox live players did not buy live for pso.

for gamecube ive had to buy a bunch of memory cards, ascii keyboard,broadband adapter which would cost about $200 all together. If you played pso X you would get all of what i just mentioned for free.

but despite all that GC pso is my home and its where i will continue to play.

Xbox live is great too. im having loads of fun playing counter strike , c vs s eo, espn seriers, ect ect. i cant wait to see what type of stuff gets released on xbox live in the future

shinto_kuji
Dec 12, 2003, 01:28 PM
ok im getting tired of people comparing the games. play whatever the fuck you want to. you stating reasons why one version is better then another is very annoying. if you like voice chat then play psox. if you like international users play psogc. there is no contest between them.

p.s.- i might just make a new poll. keep a look out fot it. (its related to this)

kevlar_pso
Dec 12, 2003, 01:35 PM
This poll was set up for those who have both. Not to bash each others systems! If that were the case I'd have a DC is better than crapstation 2! lol I mean if ya wanna flamewar, it might as well be that one!

Outrider
Dec 12, 2003, 02:44 PM
Oh man. What if PSO came out on the Phantom?

(World explodes)

kevlar_pso
Dec 12, 2003, 02:53 PM
Phantom is an actual farce, as reported in the latest EGM. A good idea tho. . . .

Kazzi
Dec 12, 2003, 02:55 PM
I use gamecube of course (being a loyal nintendo fan) and microsoft is so... evil! We all know that.

I also use dial up and as far as i know, xbox doesn't let you XP (tell me if i'm wrong kies) plus the keyboard controller is cute XD

kevlar_pso
Dec 12, 2003, 02:59 PM
Well I guess if every1 who has the GC version only replies that they play GC PSO and vote for that. . . . . I'll never know what ppl who have both play the most of. WOW who's anal now!