PDA

View Full Version : Just hypothetically, if they made a PSO Episode I & II Plus

A2K
Dec 13, 2003, 11:28 PM
Just hypothetically, if (key word, emphasis here) they made a PSO Episode I & II Plus for Xbox and released it in the US, there are a few things I'd like to see in the title.

First and foremost, the Xbox Live integration in the current game is great, but, undeniably a little half-assed. The whole Guild Card/Friends List thing can be a little more than confusing at first, and on the whole is pretty unintuitive. Make the Guild Card/Friends List integration better. You should be able to sort/view both lists by either Gamertag or character. I want to be able to see whether or not people in my list are actually playing PSO right away instead of searching each online name individually--I don't necessarily want to bother people playing Tetris Worlds or Rainbow Six 3 or what have you.

Ah, and, the game should keep a more active cache of people in games and lobbies. If/when more malicious cheating were to occur, being able to report it using the XBL feedback system becomes imperative. Unfortunately, if you were to be FSODed or something, the list would erase when you started the game up again, so... no reporting for you. Blah. Being able to send feedback even if you were dead would be a nice touch.

Actually, online support as a whole could stand to improve a little bit. Remember the Halloween quest debacle? I honestly don't think Microsoft or Sonic Team or whoever actually knew that there was a problem with it on the US servers. Streamline the whole process, or something, for chrissakes.

Stop with the Engrish? Or, rather, revise the in-game text, please. It's not horrible, just some punctuation and grammar things that need to be addressed--plural and singular agreement, verb things, general sentence structure online. It'd be nice to have a "real" Message of the Day like the Japanese's (just set your Xbox to Japanese and go online to see it) instead of the recent unrevised offerings.

Of course... include the offline content available in the GCN version of Plus. This one's practically a given. It'd be nice to have a facility to play at least some download quests with friends. Ah, and...

Do something about the whole Gamertag/Xbox Live required/your Xbox dies, your characters die with it shtick. It was a simple enough change--instead relying on serial numbers and CD keys, make it rely on your Gamertag. This, unfortunately, sucked a big portion of functionality from the game. You *must* have an Xbox Live gamertag. *must must must*

*sigh* Just come up with something better?

While playing offline, make the game Xbox Live Aware. Be able to get invites to PSO and other games, etc. Actually, if anything can't be done about the previous item this would at least bridge the gap a little better.

Cross-region play... but, er, you know, just automatically do that. Don't make it Plus-exclusive or anything. Actually, I'm guessing that this will take work by Microsoft rather than Sonic Team to do (connecting their different Xbox Live set ups around the world and whatnot), so, it's unlikely. But this is a speculative thread, so why shouldn't I add it?

Stick that camera trick back in... even if you can't actually take snapshots anymore because of some Microsoft verification thing or something, at least make the camera control thing available to those of us with a capture card!

Now... how to justify the cost of getting a game that's basically the same with a few tweaks? Simple: release this only as part of a double-pack along with a port of Episode III for $50. Hell, throw that free keyboard adapter you can send for right into the box, too. Current owners of the game get a brand-spanking new title along with an enhanced version of the one they own, and new owners, well, they get two titles for a pretty damn good price (both at a little more than "Platinum Hits" price for each). Hell, you can pick up this game for Xbox for around $20 now anyway, actually.

Well that's all... what do you think?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: A2K on 2003-12-13 20:29 ]</font>

A2K
Dec 13, 2003, 11:34 PM
You know, expanding on that previous thing about Engrish... Minhiro could really use a facelift, IMO. It'd be nice to have a better-looking official site like that. Like, er, say, just as an example, Final Fantasy XI's web site. That's a nice web site, and not too Engrishy.

Aunt_Betty
Dec 13, 2003, 11:41 PM
GREAT IDEA!

And here is Microsoft's money after the bill:

$0.02.

A2K
Dec 13, 2003, 11:46 PM
^ I don't get it. Are you saying any of this isn't something you want, at least hypothetically?

anwserman
Dec 14, 2003, 01:24 AM
Do something about the whole Gamertag/Xbox Live required/your Xbox dies, your characters die with it shtick.

Hell, or stop making the save file read-only! The whole PSO save data (with one gamertag used with 5 characters and Central Dome Fire Swirl) takes about 400 blocks of memory... just make the whole save file able to be moved instead of freakin copy-protected. If the file would be copied, yes it would be bad. But moved? That wouldn't cause ANY problem.

Toruxxx
Dec 14, 2003, 01:35 AM
On 2003-12-13 20:28, A2K wrote:

First and foremost, the Xbox Live integration in the current game is great, but, undeniably a little half-assed. The whole Guild Card/Friends List thing can be a little more than confusing at first, and on the whole is pretty unintuitive. Make the Guild Card/Friends List integration better. You should be able to sort/view both lists by either Gamertag or character. I want to be able to see whether or not people in my list are actually playing PSO right away instead of searching each online name individually--I don't necessarily want to bother people playing Tetris Worlds or Rainbow Six 3 or what have you.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: A2K on 2003-12-13 20:29 ]</font>

u can see if they are playing pso or not they will have the pso symbol in the top right hand corner if i remember rightly its not that hard and i probably wouldnt get it waste of money i think coz u can dl quest's for xbox anyway as it has hd its a gd idea for the cube but not for xbox

Gwilym
Dec 14, 2003, 05:19 AM
About the cross region play...I E-mailed Microsoft the other day (Assuming they were in charge of the servers) and got this in reply:

Thanks for contacting the Xbox Customer Care Team with your query.
Phantasy Star Online is a third party game and is not supported by Microsoft.
Please refer to the publisher of the game, which in this case is Sonic Team for more information on this title.
If you have any further questions or queries please don’t hesitate to contact us.
Kind regards,

So it looks like Sonic Team is in charge of the servers...

Better get out the old Babelfish.

A2K
Dec 14, 2003, 06:17 AM
Egh... I think they might be giving you the old run-around there.

Jkid
Dec 14, 2003, 09:58 AM
http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif^What I highly recommend is to tell Microsoft you're problems with PSOX by postal mail. This will give them a chance to listen, because unlike e-mail, postal mail can't be checked for keywords so they can send you an automatic e-mail.

Gwilym
Dec 14, 2003, 12:28 PM
Unless they use OCR. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif
It's quite funny actually, on Sonic Team's site it says...

We are reading every single e-MAIL from you users.And fan-mail will be read to every SONICTEAM members.We are very sorry but there are too many numbers of fan-mail to reply it,one by one.But some of the major questions would be picked up to this FAQ.

If you can make much sense out of that, give yourself a pat on the back.

We will answer the major questions, which are from the
user's E-mail(We really appreciate your E-mail!).

Uh-huh. Gotcha.

When you send any communications and/or materials to this Website by E-mail, including any ideas, comments, questions, suggestions, and/or data ("User Suggestion"), you agree and understand that Sega it's affiliates and/or designees is free to use (without any compensation to you and without any obligation to evaluate, examine, adopt, or keep confidential), any User Suggestion for any purpose whatsoever, including but not limited to developing, manufacturing, and marketing products using such User Suggestion.

You devilish thieves, you.

I sent them a Japanese E-mail this morning, which will hopefully get their attention.

Sepheroth
Dec 14, 2003, 02:33 PM
thats it! Im sick of this! Im frikken ready to do something! I say we all get together and send sonic team mails until they realize that they need to work on xbox version! A plus version, with all of the items on that list (espicially more quests and cross-region play) would be great!

Outrider
Dec 14, 2003, 03:10 PM
And then... we'd have a big party.

Uh, I really don't think that unless you got everyone registered to PSOW to send leters would you even get a moment's notice.

darthsaber9x9
Dec 14, 2003, 06:11 PM
On 2003-12-14 11:33, Sepheroth wrote:
thats it! Im sick of this! Im frikken ready to do something! I say we all get together and send sonic team mails until they realize that they need to work on xbox version! A plus version, with all of the items on that list (espicially more quests and cross-region play) would be great!

till they sue for harassment...