PDA

View Full Version : XBox: Oh man... Back to Square One.

Cahill
Dec 15, 2003, 10:52 AM
*Grumble* Had to start over this weekend. Said "see ya" to my LV 140 and 110 characters. Xbox had been dying for a long time. I put off setting up the new one simply because I couldn't move my PSO characters.

After a number of sporadic lock ups on Friday and then 5 in a row on Saturday I finally said screw it. Among other things, I had already lost a Lavis Cannon and DF Field to crashes. It got to the point where any time I found a rare I had to immediately quit the game. Half the time I'd wind up looking at a black screen and listening to my Xbox grind away.

Took about an hour to get the game to even load enough times for me to drop my items off with the new characters on the replacement system. At least I finally got my stuff moved. Oh well. Being Lv 35 and 26 isn't that bad... *Ugh*

On the plus side, the Dragon dropped a Musashi for me on only the third time through.

rena-ko
Dec 15, 2003, 11:12 AM
why not replacing the diskdrive? i mean, isnt it cheaper than buying a completely new console? or.. why not exchanging the HDDs ? (maybe serial number issues)

hm...anyway, my condolences.

memcards have their pros there seeing as both xbox and cube seem to have their issues with their diskdrives >_>

A2K
Dec 15, 2003, 11:18 AM
^ Cahill might not have the technical expertise for that sort of thing. In any case, try to pick up a model with a Philips or Samsung disc drive. The Thompson ones that come with the units that were made around launch time are known to cause trouble. Well, more trouble than the other two, anyway.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: A2K on 2003-12-15 08:20 ]</font>

-Luke-
Dec 15, 2003, 01:53 PM
Hmmm...how old is your copy of PSO, if you don't have any problems with other games, i.e Morrowind or Amped, which sometimes do the same, it could be the disk not the hardrive. I have had my copy since March, and it's only FSOD'ed once, so I dunno, if you want to continue, I would look into getting another copy, play it at home, if it is still being random then take it back within a certain amount of days if it is a kind store.
Luke

Cahill
Dec 15, 2003, 02:26 PM
It's definitely the Xbox. Does it with most games. There's a loud grinding sound (not the regular hard drive or DVD access). Then the system just locks up. This is, of course, in addition to the usual Disk/Dirty damaged and Can't read DVD messages that are commonplace among the original Xboxes. I've put a number of hours into PSO on the new system with no problem(s) whatsoever.

I'll send the old one out after the holidays to get fixed. I do a good number of system link/LAN games, so I don't mind having 2 systems at the house... that's why I flat out purchased another one.

I'm just not all that enthusiastic about starting over in PSO.

Appleicious
Dec 15, 2003, 04:27 PM
Are you online by any chance? I wouldn't mind helping you power level back up to 80 at least.

kevlar_pso
Dec 15, 2003, 05:11 PM
That sux, if ya need anythin, gimme a holla thru my profile and I'll do what I can.

Peace out

Cahill
Dec 16, 2003, 03:38 PM
Appleicious - Thanks for the offer. Really appreciate it. I PM'd ya yesterday.

kevlar_pso - thank you as well. I managed to move my items so it's not as bad as it could have been.

Rich_T
Dec 16, 2003, 04:00 PM
cant you transfer your saves to one of those chunky memory cards?

Cahill
Dec 16, 2003, 04:11 PM
A character can be "moved" to a mem card and relocated to another system as a temp character.... but they can then only be used in multiplayer.

Denny
Dec 16, 2003, 06:19 PM
Is there a way that Microsoft can repair a system without deleting the information on it? I'm sure there has to be a way. I've been having a few problems with FMVs skipping on my Xbox (I'm sure it's the drive), but I do not want to lose my characters.