PDA

View Full Version : You people are still playing PSO?

hollowtip
Apr 9, 2001, 05:07 AM
I visited this site before the game came out and used to come here alot and post on the forums. I can't believe how many people are still playing this game. Haven't you found all the rares and beat the game on very hard numerous times? don't you have a ranger, force, and hunter character that you have worked up to lvl 80+? Kind of seems worthless to keep playing the game when you have mastered it. Don't you guys play any other games? just was wondering why you guys still play the game. Z.O.E. is calling me on the verge of beating it.

Aierylia
Apr 9, 2001, 05:25 AM
Well, I don't know about you, but I keep playing so I can meet up with friends. I've made a lot of new friends from all over the country since I started playing in February.

Hehe, as for ZOE, my brother spent less than 4 hours to beat it. ^_^;

Ranx
Apr 9, 2001, 06:24 AM
What do you mean ? 80+? you haven't mastered it if yer only 80+. Level 100 and no less if you intend you master your level.

And did you find all the rares that are scattered around Ragol?

And as Aierylla said... You meet a lot of friends, and that's also a big part of the high fun factor in PSO

Sisqua
Apr 9, 2001, 06:27 AM
2 points. Firstly, as was just said, this is a social game - sometimes its nice to meet up with old friends you've made while playing it. Friendships aren't something you 'complete' or 'finish' once you reach level 100.

Secondly, as I've pointed out many times before, there are also an increasing number of people who use this board who are from Europe or Australasia who didn't get this game until long after it was released in the US. So we're far from bored with it.

S.

ps. ZOE sucks http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif

MaximumBeef
Apr 9, 2001, 06:30 AM
Exactly...it's all about the people...(I can't claim to be any kind of master at the game...only level 58 http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_wink.gif )

Unfortunately I keep on meeting morons while playing, which is beginning to grate.

Omege12
Apr 9, 2001, 06:38 AM
Of course! It's all about the meeting of the people and friends that keeps me coming back for more! The reason I quit D2 is because it was too antisocial!

Sisqua
Apr 9, 2001, 06:42 AM
Beef - we should have a game some time since we're in the same timezone.

Then you can add one more 'moron' to your list http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif

S.

Ragnarok857
Apr 9, 2001, 06:50 AM
Since only some IDs can get certain specials, we won't have all the rares by now.

MaximumBeef
Apr 9, 2001, 06:50 AM
Yeah, that would be great Sisqua.

I usually have to maintain a not-a-moron list, otherwise it would be far to big http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_wink.gif

Sisqua
Apr 9, 2001, 07:15 AM
Beef - I'll private mesg you so the rest of this board don't have to put up with our protracted discussions about when and where http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif

S.

Tolwyn
Apr 9, 2001, 09:14 AM
The game gets boring if you're a freak and play it nonstop =P I'm far from bored - even though I don't really have people I know well online to play with, it's still fun. I play Unreal and Quake3 too, so my time on my DC isn't all PSO.

MechDan
Apr 9, 2001, 09:38 AM
You don't need to be level 100 to "master" the game. You don't even need to be level 80. I'm a freak about playing lots of different characters so my main character isn't even level 70 yet.

Nevertheless, I'm as good a PLAYER as they get. I'm no shooter god or fighting game champion, but I can keep up with the slower pace of PSO. Being a good PSO player means things like:

Knowing what tactics are best and employing them.

Fighting with the map shaving that split second it takes to reorient the map. (Especially aiming mech-guns at off-screen enemies.)

Anticipating new enemy pop-ups and fighting with the screen lock-ons shaving that split second it takes for enemies to pop up on the map.

Being able to fight with the technique menu for when you need to use techniques not mapped to a button. Being able to remap buttons in the middle of a fight (without staying out of it too long).

Feeding your mags on the run (so you don't slow the others down).

Being able to sell your picked up inventory in seconds without accidentally selling something good. Not only is this important online to keep the others from waiting, it's important offline because it increases your rate of experience point and money gain.

Knowing and using good teamwork tactics--to really consider yourself an expert on this you have to know the strengths and weaknesses of your teammate's capabilities and player skill levels also.

Basically, being a good PLAYER means knowing the game well and being able to use that knowledge to best effect. It's why I'm still saving my friend's behinds with my new character at level 6 when their higher level characters get jumped by a Garanz or some Beats.

AxemPunanny
Apr 9, 2001, 01:51 PM
Hollowtip, as someone mentioned before... Z.O.E. is a short game. I'm not too sure, cause I haven't picked up the game yet, but you could probably master the game in one day, compared to PSO, I don't think so. Maybe Z.O.E. is worth the purchase to play MGS2, but I dunno about alone. And it's not all about the graphics.

Yea I'm practicing those things you mentioned MechDan. When I say practicing, I don't mean training, I mean practicing as in religion. Yet sometimes I'm not able to do so. Like when I'm playin in the wee hours, about to fall asleep (I've done that once... funny), or when I'm trying to feed multiple mags all at once. I've done that, but it's pretty difficult while battling at the same time. Often times I would fill up my back pack (30 items), go to shop and start selling away within seconds, I'm just aimlessly clicking away on da junk, in exchange for mesetas. Now I find myself with 2 full banks, I gotta go spend now.

And to add to that list MechDan... as far as anticipating enemy pop-ups... for someone who has played enough, like myself you can even predict when, where, and who will pop up in what levels or even in quests; and also how many. Sometimes I'd just run up to certain areas on the map waiting for monsters to pop up. I pretty much memorized the maps, and their variations, well almost all of it. Sometimes you can't help but get lost in the heat of battle.

Spy
Apr 9, 2001, 02:09 PM
My community is gone; the community that I grew with as a player and a person. I could cry right now http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_frown.gif

AxemPunanny
Apr 9, 2001, 02:17 PM
Spy what are you talking about? I don't know what you mean by that. Your words trouble me? Tell me, what troubles you? I know I'm a "newbie" to this board compared to you, but hey I'd like to contribute my part to make this community as enjoyable as it was before and now, not only to everyone else, but to the "relics" like yourself.

Lmnopia
Apr 9, 2001, 02:23 PM
gremlins are making me play.... i cant stop or they will kill my little puppy

The_Saint
Apr 9, 2001, 02:39 PM
ummm.. i play to meet friends. i don't 'Master' friends. Well, not most of 'em. Maybe you should go 'master' yourself.

Core
Apr 9, 2001, 03:02 PM
Really Lmnopia? i tought you just played because of the people! heheheh oh well every bodys got to have a reason to play and mine is the socialality(i know i didn't spell that right is it even a word?) going on...the games a lot of fun to me if you find the right people to play with....then again these sever problems are really pissing me off! *Try giving the Gnomes some bubble gum Lmnopia it always worked for me*

MechDan
Apr 9, 2001, 03:24 PM
Yeah, I spend most of my time in the mines, and know it like the back of my hand. (looks at back of hand--does double-take--"whoa when did that happen???")

As for the MGS2 demo--it's worth it if you really like Japanese voice acting and don't like the MGS dub much. Like the MGS demo, it's in Japanese with English subtitles. Unlike the MGS demo, the MGS2 demo is pretty long and has a LOT of gameplay stuffed in. You could easily spend more time playing the MGS2 demo than Z.O.E. itself.

But if you don't like subtitles and prefer the MGS English dub, just wait for MGS2 and skip the demo.

Defend
Apr 9, 2001, 03:41 PM
Australasia you say? Here's a tip. Aussies still haven't got the game. Ozisoft's latest release date announcement is the 20th of April, but we know its a bit of a joke. Early March, March 15, March 30, April 10, April 13, April 20 now.

Besides, the US version is better in many useful ways, such as accessing US servers whilst still only using 50Hz.

Point is, Aussies still haven't got PSO, because the Aussie distribution company keeps dragging its feet, and lying to us.

MechDan
Apr 9, 2001, 04:09 PM
Hehe. I don't play PSO to meet friends. I play PSO with my real life friends or solo, almost all of the time.

I enjoy playing PSO with my fiancee--I've got two DCs hooked up in the game/computer room. That leaves room only for 2 more team members, which is pretty tight even when only a few of my friends are online. If we were to play an open game, chances are slim that our friends could join in if they get online later on.

So I end up playing exclusively closed games, and never meet anyone at random online. That's not what I'm looking for in PSO, anyway, so it's not a big deal.

AxemPunanny
Apr 9, 2001, 04:22 PM
MechDan, that's real phat positive that your fiancee plays PSO with you. I have 2 Dreamcasts, but the one that it still pretty new isn't being used because I don't have a 2nd TV in my room. I have a comp. monitor, but I need to get me a vga box, another pso disc, and another isp. If I had all that, I would need another player. If I did, how cool would that be if your significant other was playing with you, sharing interests?

hollowtip
Apr 9, 2001, 05:32 PM
I see all the valid explanations on meeting new people and having friendships. But I play games because I like games, and when I pretty much find everything in the game worth finding I don't think that I can ever go back. To many other awesome games to play and just so little time. Another reason I stopped playing is because cheating has just gotten out of control. I can bet everyone that I had met when I was playing either had a duped spread needle, maxed out bank with "illegal" meseta, or sweet hacked stag or all of these. It just takes almost all the fun out of the game. I hope with PSO2 (not Ver. 2) will have server based saving so no one can do any of this crap. On top of all this too, Sega put in rediculous measures in trying to combat this crap. "You have an illegal item" ect. ect. It can be done, look at diablo 2.