PDA

View Full Version : Boss Strategies

Neinth
Feb 19, 2001, 04:28 PM
I know this is old stuff but I thought some people might like to see some of this stuff without digging deep. Plus maybe others can add some input so I can perfect my strategies.

PSO Boss Strategies by Neinth

Note about a boss fight: If you die your cash and equiped weapon fall to the floor and anyone including thieves that may not return it can pick it up. To get your super weapon back if you just can?t beat them just take a stupid weapon and no money pick up your good weapon and die while the bad one is equiped. Always open a pipe before a battle for ease of return if you die.
Practice with bad weapons for fun.
Remember that 95% of the fight is just knowing the boss patterns. If you know what to do and when you can beat any boss by slowing whittling their life away while dodging their attacks.

Dragon (Normal):
Things to avoid:
1. The front of the dragon. Don?t be stupid and try to go toe-to-toe with him. You will get toasted by the flame attack.
2. Getting stomped on. Be aware of how he is walking. Just stay to the side or behind him.
3. The annoying underground hedgehog rush. As soon as you see him take the dive under simple run along the edge of the field. Just keep moving the same direction(clockwise or counterclockwise) along the outside wall will keep you from getting hit even once.
4. The dragon?s weight falling on you by knocking him down. Try to use something other than daggers.

Things to do:
1. At the start run right at him and then veer off to the side and attack his legs while making sure he isn?t turning to face you. If you hit his legs enough times he falls down and you can wail at will for a few seconds.
2. When he flies around try to stay under his tail. Constantly chase him and reset the camera often if needed.

Comments: Should be an easy kill as long as you know how to avoid his burrowing attack.

Dragon (Hard): Same as above except the legs can?t be damaged. You can still knock him down by hitting them but the real damage has to be done to the head.

Worm(normal and hard):
People go into great detail about his pattern but there is really only one thing you really need to worry about. The blue plasma blasts from the side right after the exploding spikes. This is the most dangerous attack he has because it often comes right after you are hit by an exploding spike.(either by the three that surround you or the field that are everywhere) First you need to be ready to heal during this attack. Be sure to have a mone/di mate set to a button you can press quickly and easially. As soon as you are hit start hitting the button because more damage is coming and it usually hits you in a quick burst of two or three. Just start pressing the button repeatly, you won?t waste them if you are full of life. The other thing to know is that you can avoid almost all of the plasma blasts by being all the way in the corner right in his face. This seems like the last place that you would want to be because it seems like you would get hit more and faster but oddly they will usually miss you if you are all the way in the corner right in his face. What I usually do is when I see he does the spike field attack I watch to see which side he is going to and I head to the face corner right away. I forget about the stupid spike damage and just pop a mate after taking spike damage. Better to eat the spike damage than multiple plasma. Killing the spikes isn?t that bad if you have a fast weapon but with something slow its not worth attempting. The big tradeoff in weapons on this boss is that a fast one will keep you from spike damage but a sword or something that hits multiple targets works best when he jumps on the boat and exposes his face.
His other attacks are really easy to avoid or do little damage. The laser you can avoid by running from one side to the other. You should start running when you hear the hum of the laser charging. He knocks rocks from the ceiling on you but the damage is small. Just look for a spot without a shadow.
That covers avoiding damage. Now to damage him. Most people damage him when he jumps up on the boat with his face. The thing to remember here is to line up your multi-target weapon to hit at least 3 or more targets. Head on usually only hits one. You need to move in a circle after about 1.5 to 2 combos to avoid the dart attack from his head. You need to get used to the timing. You have to anticipate the attack and move ahead of time. If you try to move when you see the dart rise it?s too late. You can also shoot at him at various times or hit with an area effect spell while avoiding the plasma bursts. Just remember not to heal using a spell during the plasma attack. It?s too slow.

Robo in Mines (normal and hard):
Bring a gun for the first form. Shoot the center/top thing which often keeps the others from zapping you. Each time you kill it start looking to the monitors. Shoot the monitors that are red. The face will float around the room behind the monitors in a circle. Sometimes it will be in one of the lightning posts and you can shoot it there also. As long as you keep the center post beat down each time it shows up you should take little damage. When you have done enough damage everything starts exploding. Now is a good time to quickly switch to a close combat weapon.
The second form is the easiest IF you know how to avoid getting hit. It?s really simple and works on all forms of attacks. You run around the boss in a circle. You want to kinda in the middle as far as depth. You should constantly reset the camera as you run to insure you don?t brush up against anything and ruin your stride. You need to keep moving full speed to avoid the pillars that drop down. The boss will launch some homing missles which you can get in a quick slash or two after they miss. Or he may send some energy ball at you, again circle and slash a quick one after. When there is a laser tracking you start running. Three pillars (sometimes two) will crush you if you don?t keep running in the circle pattern described and they do massive damage. After the first set of pillars misses you can get in a quick three-hit combo and then the laser is on you again. Avoid the second set of pillars and smack down a combo or two.

Dark Falz (normal):
Bring a gun. Bring resistance to light.
The first form has tons of blade drones everywhere. There are a few purple ones that you have to find and kill. This can be done very quickly with a gun. Usually you can just aim dead in the center of a bunch and pick off the purples with no effort. Speed is important here. They die easially so I would suggest a handgun type weapon for quick shooting and recovery.
The second form has him gliding around on his dragon-head cart. The dragon heads are the thing to target. They spew more blade drones which are no big deal to kill. Dark Falz will also be hitting you with various spells heal and pound the dragon head.
The third form has Falz bobbing up and down while sliding on the edge of something. I find the best thing to do is get right in front of him and shoot away. He has a particular spell which does a lot of damage if you move or if you are far away. Have good resistance to light and get close and take him out.

Dark Falz (hard):
This one has slightly harder versions of the same plus an extra mode that is the last one and the toughest. In this final mode you are one a light ring that surrounds him as he floats up down and around the middle while you run around the ring. Did I mention to bring resistance to light? If you didn?t he has this handy attack that he uses all the time which will kill everyone. I like to run around the circle to avoid the multiple bubbles of pain. I still keep running. After the bubbles he kills everyone without light resistance, at which point I heal with a heal spell. Stop running and face him. He floats to you and nails you with a powerful slash. I cast heal again and try to get in a few hits to his face before running again to avoid the bubble attack. Repeat. Sometimes he mixes in this soul sucker thing where you can see a red connection between you and he. Don?t attack now or it hurts your teammates. I think you best keep running until it goes away or you insta-die. Good luck and bring lots of scape dolls.

Kudos to Loic Gratton email: [email protected] for writing the best guide on strategy I?ve seen yet.