PDA

View Full Version : bb plus dialup

darthsaber9x9
Dec 22, 2003, 05:52 PM
ok so we recently s3witched to bb in our house. i dont have enough money to get a bba. basically, i need to know if could use my modem and would it just be slower?

Rich_T
Dec 22, 2003, 05:58 PM
THere is a hellishly complicated way to hook a dial up modem up to your p.c then network your broadband conection to it, i tried it on the dreamcast, and i couldnt get it too work ( i even made the special wire with a 9V batery, capacitor and a resistor)
if i was you id stick with dial up, until you can afford a BBA.

BBAs are curently in stock at the UK based http://www.videogameimports.com in the hardware section, Gamecube region Jap/Us/EU there non region specific, and will cost you £44.20 (inc VAT and P&P)

darthsaber9x9
Dec 22, 2003, 06:40 PM
cheers, but i dont have a dialup connection. plues connectign my gc to bb would take lots of r-j11 cable

punkrazza
Dec 24, 2003, 10:04 AM
There was this old way for dreamcast to have dialup and computer that has bb and go threw... but you would need to get winroute lite (or something like that) and theres somthing on your computer called a dialup server (if you look hard enough) simple to find if you have windows 98 or ME... its alot of trouble but once its done and working (if you dont give up) you saved yourself 40-45 bucks ^_^

Rich_T
Dec 24, 2003, 11:44 AM
theres a guide to setting up your p.c so you can connect a dreamcast modem to it (same principles as GC modem), then routhe the modem conection to broadband here
http://consolevision.com/members/mterlouw/

however i couldnt get it to work when i tried it on a DC.
If you have broadband your best bet would be to save up for a BBA, and if need be, get a long length of ethernet cable to connect your GC up to your broadband router, or network card on your broadband enabled p.c.

punkrazza
Dec 24, 2003, 03:55 PM
the difference is on what software his computer has... like any winroute would work but you would need some other info like segas IPaddress (yay i found it!!) or it would just be trying to connect to nothing at all...im not sure if it would be more lag or less cause ive never done it with pso on gamecube...I would link you to the site but im not sure if I would be banned for it... ill ask the MODs and see... If i can ill show you how to do it.

Rich_T
Dec 25, 2003, 05:20 AM
if youve got a modem, but no dial up conection, there are some numbers you could try to get online with.
these numbers were issued when sega-europes dreamcast ISP Dreamarena went offline, and they should still work.
if you have a Dreamkeyver3 disk, they should be with that, and they consist of a Username/password/dial up number which should get your gamecube/dreamcast online.

darthsaber9x9
Dec 28, 2003, 06:06 PM
On 2003-12-24 08:44, Rich_T wrote:
theres a guide to setting up your p.c so you can connect a dreamcast modem to it (same principles as GC modem), then routhe the modem conection to broadband here
http://consolevision.com/members/mterlouw/

however i couldnt get it to work when i tried it on a DC.
If you have broadband your best bet would be to save up for a BBA, and if need be, get a long length of ethernet cable to connect your GC up to your broadband router, or network card on your broadband enabled p.c.

i had problems trying this. keep the ideas comming!

Rich_T
Dec 28, 2003, 06:27 PM
If you want to get online on PSO and you dont curently have a dial up account you could try the number set up by sega/BT for dreamcast users to use, it should still work on any console/system.

Username: sega
password: sega
dial up number 0845 604 1482

access charged at local rate, 4p per minute 8am-6pm mon-fri, 1p per minute friday 6pm through to monday morning at 8am