PDA

View Full Version : A connection problem that is DEATILED to the best of my abil

MOTOROLA
Dec 23, 2003, 12:36 PM
I followed your instructions to detail my connection to the best of my ability, so that any of you may help me to the best of your ability.

Location - South GA, USA.

System - The Nintendo GameCube.

Internet connection - Broadband

Internet Service - Bellsouth

Type of Broadband - DSL

Set up - My connection is through a "so-called" router. It has four connections on the back:

Ethernet, Power, USB, and the Phone line.

When I need to play PSO, I un-hook my computer's ethernet cable from the router and hook my GCN ethernet cable to it. I've tryed the internet sharing method in the guide on these forums, but it did not work.

On my old computer (Windows 98 SE) I used a USB connection, and still had the same problem. I think you'll be able to help me better now that I am using a Ethernet connection both on my computer and GCN.

So right now I'm guessing that I use a router connection for my PSO.

Router type - Westell WireSpeed DSL Router powered by WindRiver software. It's not wireless.

Description of error(s):

I can connect to PSO and play. Easy. I can connect to the internet and surf. Easy. Can I do them both at the same time? Noooooo. Using your internet sharing methods did not work either.

What type of cables being used - Heh, I use the yellow ethernet cable for my Router-PC connection, and a White ethernet cable for the Router-GCN connection.

Please, help me. I'd much rather just get Dial-up if I can't enjoy the freedom of gettingon the computer and PSO at the same time.

Rich_T
Dec 23, 2003, 01:35 PM
have you got the gamecube settings on automatic, or have you put IP addreses into the gamecube internet set up screens?

Is your router set up with NAPT, DHCP, DNS (fowarding?) enabled?

MOTOROLA
Dec 23, 2003, 01:41 PM
I use the automatic setting, not the mannual IP setting.

But about my router, when I look on to network settings and check my "Local Area Connection" it shows my IP Addy and Subnet Mask and below that it says "assigned by DHCP".

I don't know if that's how you check your for the setting or not..

Rich_T
Dec 23, 2003, 02:43 PM
Is your P.C reciving its IP address automaticly from the router?
go to your network conections folder, right click on your P.Cs active conection, then properties, then highlight internet protocol, then select properties, then make a note of the settings.
if there not already, slect automatic on both IP address and DNS.

MOTOROLA
Dec 23, 2003, 04:31 PM
Both of the tabs, General and Alternate Configuration, have their selections set on Automatic. They were already set on automitic, I had to do nothing, nor ever did anything to them.

This computer is very new, I recived it less than two weeks ago from Dell.. not that this should make any difference. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

MOTOROLA
Dec 25, 2003, 02:32 PM
Umm, bump? My topic hasn't been posted on for a while.

Rich_T
Dec 25, 2003, 02:36 PM
have you tried switching it off plugging in your gamecube then switching it on again?

MOTOROLA
Dec 25, 2003, 09:47 PM
Yes, I have done so. Didn't work.

BrokenHope
Dec 27, 2003, 07:32 PM
It sounds like you have a modem that has Ethernet or USB but only allows one connection to be used at once. It isn't actually a router, since most routers have 4 or more ports.

My cable modem has Ethernet and USB but only allows one connection type to be used at once.

MOTOROLA
Dec 29, 2003, 11:08 AM
Yeah. Mabye I should go on eBay? Hm. Or radio shack?