PDA

View Full Version : The Adventures of Adam & Jason!

trypticon
Dec 25, 2003, 06:14 AM
The Principal's chamber was cold and musty that night, as four people enter and begin the short approach to the big guy's desk. Each of the four had been given a message that hinted at some great emergency. The people of Pioneer 2 had settled the planet Ragol four years ago. There was still some trouble with animals rampaging the small villages that had been set up as living quarters, but all in all, the troubles that had almost completely wiped out the residents that arrived on Pioneer 1 were past. Dr Osto's parasite cell had been acquired then quarantined in Dr Montague’s' lab, and otherwise killed off from the surface of the planet. Many citizens had lost their lives due to that experiment, and the people from Pioneer 2 were fairly livid in their knowledge that what led to the death of almost half the civilization from their original planet had been a governmnet backed, and supported experiment. The Principal had appologized many times over for the shortsightedness of his predecessors, but to little avail.

As the four people reach the principals' desk, he turns to greet them. "Greetings, you people, I am the principal. Perhaps you've heard of me." The words were not so much a suggestion of knowledge, but more a statement of fact. Anybody who had been aboard the Pioneer 2 during its long mission to this cursed planet would have known of him. It was the principal that had come to the aid of the people so often, he that had finally killed Elley Person, and had influenced the lovely Nol to star in adult cinema. Moreover, it had been he that had defeated the vicious Nugz, along with the rest of his clan. Many people had tried to do these things before, but none had been able to do so from the comfort of their own desk, which the Principal was almost unable to move from. Rumors hinted at him being seen behind another desk once or twice, in preparation for some quests that paid mercenaries used to take part in. But those were just rumors. For all anyone knew these days, the man was permanently affixed to the rear side of this semicircular desk, the drawers of which could be described as his own pockets.

"I'm glad you have all decided to come here today to see me. There is a great matter of importance for you to have done so." As he spoke, his flat, dead, pixilated eyes passed over each of the visitors in turn. "You have all come here from different villages off of Ragol's surface, so you may or may not know about what I am going to tell you. The areas where pioneer 1 set up operations on Ragol's surface have all been declared haunted. You all come from villages surrounding those areas, and you have been selected to act as an official ghost buster for your village."

The four visitors, knowing of the ghosts from the inhabitants of Pioneer 1, all shake in fear. Their respective villages all bordered on areas where Dr Osto's parasitic cell had been released. The central dome was no more, having been flattened in an earthquake three years prior to this meeting. Gal De Val Island was a great beachfront with condos going up seemingly every day. The large squids that used to terrorize the hunters following Pioneer 2's exploration of the area had inspired many fishing tourneys, as well as a great fishing company that supplied seafood to all of the surrounding villages.

But that didn't dispel the fact that ghosts were prevalent in the areas. The villages were sometimes ransacked by reported zombies, out for people's brains so that they may live longer, and the place where the Central Dome had been located was visited not only by ghostly past residents, but also large dragon spirits that were said to eat people's souls. In each of the four visitor's minds, the same question repeated itself; what about the broken vending machine in lobby 13?

The principal, remarkably, moved a few inches to his left, as if to get comfortable or something, "Look, you people, I'm not gong to lie to you. The vending machine problem is a big one, but lobby 13 needs to be ignored for now, it's been empty for the past two and a half years. After the vending machine broke, nobody wanted to set foot in that place again. But the problem with the lingering spirits of Pioneer 1 must be addressed quickly. All right, so it's been going on for four years now, so maybe not that quickly. But the point is, you are all here now, ready to serve, dominated by me, Principal Tyrell, ruler of the UNIVERSE!" The principal coughs for a moment, and looks up at the four again, "Sorry."

At that moment, Nol pops in and almost pops out, literally. The four guests know she's hot, but have never seen her up close before. Their mouths begin to salivate.

Nol sees the effect her appearance has on the four, and decides to use it to her advantage. "Hello, gentlemen, and lady. I see you know who I am, but I'm not aware of whom you all are. Why don't you tell me your names, each of you?"

In the cold dim light of the Principal's chamber, the four mercenaries stand in awe of the lovely Nol. Having gained an advantage over the mercenaries, the Principal continues where Nol sort of left off.

"You people," boomed the Principal, "I have asked you to accept this job to protect your respective cities. If you do so, you will each get life-size posters of Nol in her reporters costume to put up in your homes. I am sure that this will be a collectors item for years to come, unless one of you foolishly dupes it and spreads it to the city folk."

Nol gives a quick giggle, and proceeds to stride forward to place a gentle kiss upon each of the four people's lips. Each of them is standing at attention, except for the Hunewearl, who is just breathing heavily. But the question remains for each of them what exactly is expected of them.

The Principal, giving a cocky smile to Irene, who has entered the room and taken up her normal position behind her own desk, begins to answer that very question. "Each of you comes from different cities. One of you is from the city of Mac, one of you from the city Chili, another of you is from the city of Cheese, and the last of you is from the city Burger. Since these cities are all fairly close to one another, you will likely pair up on occasion to help solve greater matters of concern that are spread throughout the cities as we know them. So you may end up getting together in the team that may be known as Mac and Cheese, or perhaps Chilli Mac, or Cheese Burger, Chili Burger, or even Chilli Cheese! But whatever you do stay away from Burger Mac!"

It's about this time that each of the four that are gathered before the Principal wonder whom the genius was who named these cities.

"Gentleman, and lady," Nol looks approvingly at the three men, and casts a withering glance in the direction of the only female among the four, "the Principal and Irene will both be your contacts during this job, as it is expected to last several years. I will be there to pep you guys up, but from the look of things, that may not be needed." Again, Nol glares in the direction of the only female that the Principal invited to this meeting.

"LOLOLOLOLOL!" laughs the Principal, "Don't you worry a bit about it, Nol, baby! You are still a pretty young thing in the history of Pioneer 2."

Nol seems a bit confused over what the Principal just said. "What the heck was that?"

"What was what?" The Principal asks, seeming perplexed by Nol's question.

"That LOLOLOLOL thing you just let out, what the heck was that?" Nol is acting as if this is a matter that must be cleared up immediately, perhaps fearing for the sanity of the man that led the way during the entire Pioneer 2 expedition.

"LMAO," barks the Principal, "I'm just laughing, sweet thing."

Nol still doesn't quite understand it, and remarks upon it to get her point across, "That isn't any laugh that I've ever heard. How can you even expect people to know what that is? Laughs usually begin with an H, or an M, such ass; Ha Ha, and Mwahaha. There is no L, and the only time an O is ever involved is with a Ho HO HO, but you can't even type that on PSO. Now go get yourself a dictionary, so you can learn proper English!"

The Principal suddenly feels very foolish, but is suddenly wondering if the new populace of Ragol, or the Ragolese, as they have named themselves, even speaks English. He is thinking it would be pronounced Ragrish, or something to that effect. Rather than present a retort that would cause the lovely Nol to look for the nearest Rabsters Dictionary, he drops the matter, and follows her stern advice by sullenly stepping out from his own office in search of the nearest library.

Now alone with the Lovely Nol, and the hideous Irene, the hunters are asked in turn to present their names.

The hunter from the city of Mac is named Blitz. The hunter from the city of Chili is named Lightning. The hunter from the city of Cheese is named Sandro. The last hunter, a female, is named Kwannon, she coming from the city of Burger.

Nol continues, because Irene doesn't say anything to anyone accept the normal 'find rico', junk, "Alright you hunters, now that I know all of you, I want you to go back to your respective cities and prepare for the investigation that is to follow. Since the cities are all located close to one another, feel free to pair up and help each other on different matters. Also, be advised that you are being provided a budget great enough that you are able to hire and recruit your own mercenaries to help you in your investigation. And one more thing," Nol steps closer to them, spins in a circular motion for no reason, lifts her arms the sky, then assumes a dragon stance, and places her hands between her legs, all the while impressing the male hunters, "as you embark on this great adventure, keep your mind open to new things. You have learned today that I am the true power over the principal, as he becomes a simple puppet before my radiating beauty! You will also learn other things as you make your way through your cities alone, or as a group. The path is likely clear enough if you follow it to it's end. I wish you good luck in your endeavors."

Exiting the government complex that housed the Principal, the hunters were awash with feelings of confusion over the mission they had been given. To each of them, the knowledge of what the principal had entrusted them with was disturbing. They all knew very well what type of activities they were expected to investigate. The activities were all ones that had been investigated unsuccessfully before. The previous investigations had all failed for the same reasons, everyone who had been directly involved had perished unexpectedly, and in painful ways.

Because of the danger inherent in the mission, the four hunters decide to form into a single team, and handle each city as a different case. Sandro suggests that the hunters go to the city of Chili first, and see if they can hire any help from the local hunters guild. This is agreed upon, and three days later, the hunters arrive in Chili.

"This place is a dump," Kwannon observes while looking out at the darkened cityscape, "I have a bad feeling about this."

Lightning steps forward and rests his hand on Kwannon's shoulder, "Don't worry, Kwannon. If anything happens, at least we'll be going down together."

Lightning gets three looks of disgust thrown at him from Kwannon, Sandro, and Blitz as they pass him on their way into the city.

"Hey! I'm just trying to lighten the mood here!" He yells, as he rushes to catch up to the others.

The air is filled with soot, likely because of the large mining operation that Chili is famous for, the haze so thick it seemingly could be cut with a knife. Or you could also just heat the haze up in a pot, constantly stirring, and turn it into the stag chili that the famed cutleries were named after.

About a mile into the city, the four reach the business district. It appeared more as a slum than a business district, and the only reason it was considered one is because of the several shady deals that went on there. The sides of the dilapidated buildings were lined with the homeless, their hungry eyes focused upon the graceful form of Kwannon as the four hunters make their way to the local hunters guild in search of new members for their investigation.

The funds the principal had given them were great, much greater an amount than any of them had ever had at their disposal at any other time. But each of them was wondering what type of help they could trust from a city such as this.

Upon reaching the hunters guild, the four decided that there would be a few conditions that were to be expected from any that they decided to hire. It was decided that they would need help from some different class types in order to succeed at the mission they had been given. Forces were needed, mercenaries with great mental capacity. As well, rangers would be favored in order to clear out rooms safely from a distance. While it was true that some forces could do the same as a ranger with a few chosen techniques, the forces were needed more as a support unit for the four.

At the registration desk, Kwannon asked to see a few mercenaries for hire. The number of mercenaries for hire could be counted on a single had, but the group managed to pick up two forces and a ranger. The force's names were Madison and NarmanB, and the rangers' name was Adam.

"So," Blitz began, "what are these haunted spots I've been hearing about in this city?"

This question got an immediate response from the hunter’s guild, almost as if the receptionist had been expecting the four all along.

The group of seven was led to a large cavern located on the outskirts of the city. The cavern was dripping with ooze, and as the seven peered into the dark interior, they could make out the distant screams of beasts best left to the imagination.

"Let's get this over with." Kwannon muttered, as she started into the cave.

The others followed her in, each of them trying to hold their breath as the fetid stench of the cavern seeped into their nostrils. Dark shapes paraded before the seven, simply hints at what may lie ahead of them, never coming close, but never staying quite out of their limited range of sight. After an hour of marching into pitch darkness, the seven emerged into a large circular cavern that was lighted mysteriously by crystals upon the walls and ceiling. The stalagmites and stalactites that had decorated the tunnel gave way to flat surfaces, with a large pit in the center of the room. Other than that, there was nothing, it was a dead end.

"Say buddy! We must have missed a tunnel or something! LOL! This is a ded end! LMAO!" Shouted NarmanB. The velocity of his voice causing the walls to shake, and the seven to lean left and right in the attempt of making it look good.

Blitz tosses NarmanB a hard look, "Silence, you fool! This is what we've been looking for."

As Blitz turns his attention back to the room, and NarmanB shuts up, the large pit in the center of the room explodes with flames. With the start of the flames, a loud wailing sound suddenly filled the air, as if hundreds of souls were suddenly screaming out for release. The seven were terrified, and began running aimlessly around the room. Madison was busy casting shifta and deband upon everyone before coming to a halt at the exit of the tunnel that led them to the current room. She turned her head quickly, noticing a scraping and scratching sound echoing through the tunnel heading for the seven. They were trapped in this circular room.

"There's something else coming!" Madison shouted to everyone. But the warning fell on deaf ears, as her it was lost among the screams of the fire pit, and the scratching of whatever approached through the tunnel.

The fires in the center of the room parted for a brief moment, and the apparition of a huge dragon filled the gap.

"ROFL!" Screamed NarmanB as the ghostly dragon appeared in the flames. The dragon turned its ghostly gaze upon NarmanB, and let out a booming cough in response to whatever it was NarmanB just screamed.

Rounding the rotunda, Adam appears out of the haze, with his Guld Milla blasting, hitting NarmanB square in the face. As NarmanB screamed in mixed terror and pain, he was vaporized by the combined power of the photon blasts and the shifta cast by Madison, which strengthened the user. The death of NarmanB causes the dragon to laugh in glee.

Still positioned at the exit of the tunnel leading into the circular cave, Madison screamed in fear as another dragon emerged and made itself known to the people. The newly emerged dragon also laughs in glee at the site of NarmanB's death.

The dragon spirit, bathed in flames, amazingly speaks! "You have done well by offering a sacrifice to the dragon god. Due to your offering, we are appeased." As the dragon finishes, the flames dissipate, and the ghost disappeared. The other dragon gave the six people a snort, grabbed the remains of NarmanB, and headed back into the tunnel.

Through the light of the room, Sandro suddenly saw something in the dark pit that the ghost dragon had emerged from. Bringing everyone's attention to the shiny spot, he asked, "What is that?"

In the half light of the round cavern Sandro, Blitz, Lightning, Kwannon, Madison, and Adam all stared into the rotunda at the bright shiny spot that seemed to have been left over as a gift from the ghostly dragon.

"What is it man?" Sandro asked as he looked back up to the rest of the group members.

Kwannon shook her head in wonder, or perhaps bemusement. "I don't know, but I'm voting for you to go down and get it, Sandro."

With that suggestion, Lightning stepped forward to make an offer, "Listen, everyone. This is my home city. If anyone is going to risk their life going down there, it had better be me..." he trailed off for a moment before picking up again, "... Well, seeing as how NarmanB is dead, at least."

The others agreed with Lightning, and he suddenly found himself stuck in a group of people without compassion for their fellow party member. But since he had nobody to blame but himself, he began the short decent into the pit to find out what the shiny spot was.

Reaching the rotunda floor, Lightning was greeted by the sight of scattered bones, and the smell of rotting flesh. Choosing his steps carefully, he made his way to the center of the pit to get to the shiny spot, which was now nothing but a dull red box. Slipping and sliding over the floor, his footsteps made a crunching sound as he passed through the pit. Lightning realized that much of the floors darkness was attributed to the large cockroaches that were swarming over the ground. Disgusted beyond belief, Lightning presses on.

Grabbing the red box, he rushed back to make the climb up to his waiting party members.

"So what was it?" Blitz asked as Lightning reached the rim of the depression.

Lightning holds the red box up for inspection

Everyone gasped in unison, "A rare!"

Kwannon swiped the rare out of Lightning's hands and opened the box. "You've got to be kidding me!" She screamed and tossed the red box to the floor of the cavern, spilling the contents of the box to reveal NarmanB''s head rolling out of it.

Madison meanwhile was thinking of something, "You know what? I think I know someone who can do something with that Narmanb head. We should go meet her right now."

So the group of six left the city of Chili, and began their march to the city of Mac. Blitz was excited, since Mac was his home city. He couldn't wait to get back there and hire some of his friends for this effort. The days during the march were hot ones, which only helped the NarmanB head decompose further in the box that it was carried in. The resulting stench was particularly nasty, and was causing everyone's tempers to grow exceedingly short. Before all was lost though, the group entered the city of Mac, and went immediately to a location that Madison seemed to know very well. The person they were looking for was a young force by the name of Alaina.

The location that Madison led the people to was a small bench positioned in front of a park. Madison cast her eyes around for a moment in search of her old friend Alaina, stopping on a seemingly empty spot. "There she is." Madison announced.

The other group members glanced in humor at the empty spot that Madison was pointing out.

"Yeah, that's really good Madison," Adam commented, "Is there anything else we need to do here before we leave?"

Madison was a bit insulted by the lack of trust she suddenly felt, "I find your lack of faith disturbing. Just give her a moment to finish her candy, and I'm sure Alaina will be right with us."

Minutes spanned into hours as Alaina remained away from her keyboard. Finally, as the day was drifting toward dusk, the shadows coalesced in front of the group, and Alaina's form took on substance.

"Haha!" Alaina began, "Sorry i was eating candy."

Adam laughed as well, which must have been a challenge for him, seeing as how he was an android. Then again, the classic example of an android is a robot with the brain of a human host, so perhaps it wasn't much of a challenge after all. "So nice! What type of candy was it?"

Alaina seemed to be lost in thought for a second as she thought about her answer. "There was chocolate, and Kit Kat. Oh yeah! I also had a Snickers!"

Everyone thought that sounded delicious. At least they would have, had it not been for the rotting NarmanB head in the box that they were carrying, it's nastiness permeating the air in thick wafts of stench.

"Alaina," Madison began, "We found a rare head here. Will you be able to make this into a weapon of some sort for us?" Madison opened the box with the NarmanB head in it, which immediately caused half of the group to puke.

Alaina seemed shocked for a moment as she gazed down at the lifeless head in the box. A tear formed at the corner of her eye, and she quickly wiped it away in frustration.

"What's wrong, Alaina?" Madison asked.

Alaina looked up at the six in the group before answering, she seemed to be very upset. "Do you know who this head belongs to?" She demanded. "This head belongs to one that used to love me! He always denied it, but I know he did. It was plainly obvious to everyone. He even gave me this thing wrapped in a present before." Alaina pulled out an unteked S rank called the ILOVEYOU mechgun. "I could never use it, but it was a clear indication of his feelings to me. He wouldn't even let me open it until after he left me for the last time."

Everybody else in the group was laughing openly by then, and it wasn't long before Alaina started laughing about it too. All hard feelings aside, Alaina took the head and began to fashion it into a weapon called the NarmanB Cane. When it was time to pay Alaina for her services to the group, she declined, volunteering instead to come along with the group as an active member. Before leaving the city, the group mass duped the NarmanB Cane, and took two of the canes along on the trip.

The wielders of the canes were Madison and Alaina, as they were the only two forces in the group. When the canes were used, they would usually spit out one of NarmanB's famous quotes, such as: BRB, or Dog peed on the floor, or I want to hack PSO so badly. Even though the quotes from NarmanB were annoying to the entire group, it was still better to have the weapons along on the trip, as it seemed to enhance the fighting of the two force characters. The special on the NarmanB Cane, though not incredibly accurate, would cause the entire group to be shunned by the enemies.

After a few days of fighting across the open range of Ragol, Kwannon took some time to ask what the stats were on the NarmanB Cane. Alaina took the time to answer this question as best she could. "It seems that the stats for this are -100% Native, -100% Altered Beast, -100% Machine, -100% Dark, and -100% Hit."

"Hmm." Kwannon replied with indifference.

"Is that good?" Asked Alaina, as she continued to miss over and over.

The open range fighting that the group was taking part in was done so that they may gain more skill in their chosen weaponry and armors. And after several days of work and exertion, the group felt that they were well off enough to venture back into the city of Mac to begin the investigation there.

What would our heroes find in the city of Mac? Where should they begin their search? The city of Mac was divided on two sides of a great river. The West side of Mac was a dark place, filled with hoodlums and other forms of scum. The East side of Mac was a place of bright lights and healthy living.

After long moments of deliberation, the group decided to begin their investigation in the West side of Mac. This half of the city was dark and mysterious, and even in the brightness of the midday sun, the west side still seemed to be shrouded in nothing but shadow.

The group was making their way into the city proper, traveling past dusty trails, and dirt roads, all the while looking for information on any problems the people may have known about. The search during the first day turned up empty handed, and the group retired to a large makeshift tent that Sandro and Kwannon had set up in the center of the People's Park.

As the rest of the group settled down to sleep for the night, Kwannon, Sandro and Adam sat up talking to each other.

"This search has been pretty bad so far," Kwannon began, "Just a bit more than a week into it, and we have already lost one of our hired help."

Sandro nodded in agreement, "Too right, Kwannon, love. We didn't even gain any substantial information from the city of Chili. It seems more like we just left the investigation altogether there."

"I happen to agree, Sandro. We are going to have to go back there eventually." Kwannon turned her head to Adam, who was sitting beside her. "Tell us a bit about yourself, Adam. We really haven't had a chance to talk at all yet."

Sandro agreed to this proposition, and crossed his robo legs in front of him.

"My name is Adam," Adam started, "perhaps you've heard of me. I am perhaps the only legit RAcast to ever hit level 200. Madison and I both come from the city of Chili, a place thick with great gravy trains, and large peppers that sing the stag chili song."

"I've seen those singing peppers before!" Sandro exclaimed. "At one time I killed a dozen of them before I was told that they were part of a festival that was going on. Man, did I feel stupid!"

Adam glanced over to Sandro in bemusement before continuing, "Yes, the singing peppers seem to throw a lot of people off guard."

Kwannon was laughing softly now, "He he he he! That must be so funny! How long have you been available for hire?"

Adam gathered his thoughts for a moment before answering, "I have been for hire for just about fourteen months now. Before that time, I was searching for a few people that I used to know. These people meant a lot to me, and I wanted to see if they were still around."

"Who were they?" Sandro asked. "Perhaps one of us knows them."

"Maybe. Their names were Jessica, Crystal, Vona, and Heather. Have you heard of any of them?"

Kwannon seemed to jump at this information, "Those names sound familiar. Why are you searching for them?"

Adam seemed to get uncomfortable for a moment. "I just want to see them again, it isn't very important."

The three drifted off to sleep after that, joining the others in the sweet Ragolian dreams of rappy meals, and barbeque booma ribs.

The next day, the seven members rose to start their search once again. The gloom of West Mac greeted each of them, as the tent was taken down, and they began further questioning. The hours passed by slowly with nothing suspicious arising to catch their attention. Shortly before the noon hour arrived though, they did stumble upon something interesting.

The information that the group received led them to an empty factory near the river. The factory had been placed there so that the manufactured items could quickly, easily, and above all, inexpensively be led down to the shipping docks, and sent over the river. It was really not a bad idea, and had provided a great amount of wealth to the factory owners before the haunting began.

After a quick overview of the report, it would seem that the haunting could simply have been some malfunctions of the machinery. The reports included technical specs that detailed several deaths being caused by the machinery acting up on its own. There were other reports of disembodies shadows wandering through the halls, and walking through doors, but those stories had not been investigated, so were inconclusive.

The seven walked into the factory and were greeted by piles of dust rising under their feet as they made their way down the factory isles. The machinery was covered with cobwebs, which gave the place the look of a spooky museum. Their footfalls were hollow sounding as they touched the floor, and it didn't help calm the nerves, as silence remained their only welcoming host.

One walk through the factory turned up nothing, and led to another complete walk through. After the second walk, with nothing turning up, the seven decided to divide themselves and take up their search on different sides of the building. Perhaps they would be able to surround whatever was in the place, and flush it out.

Kwannon and Madison took the left side of the building, starting their search in a slow manner, so as not to miss anything that may happen around them.

Madison was upset with her friend Adam, and was quick to let Kwannon know about it. "I hate him, he's such a freak. He would be nothing without me!"

"I don't know," Kwannon replied, "he seems OK to me."

Madison rolled her eyes at Kwannon, "Don't let him fool you. He is the biggest piece of $!@* on the planet Ragol. I hate him."

"Weren't you two supposed to be together or something?" Kwannon asked.

"HA!" barked Madison, "I wish he'd just leave now."

They continued their search down the empty isles, the machinery glinting dull gray in the half-light. As they neared the back wall of the factory, the dust swirled in front of them as if someone was running from their approach. Madison and Kwannon rushed to the wall and looked around the side of the nearest conveyor belt. What they saw turned their blood to ice. ________________________________________________

Blitz was searching alone through the middle isles of the factory. His search had turned up nothing but dust and more dust. He was about ready to give up when the machinery surrounding him suddenly began operating again.

He glanced around quickly in confusion, but wasn't quick enough to catch the sight of the large shadow that detached itself from the far end of the machinery, slipping away to the right. ________________________________________________

Lightning and Alaina had decided to stay behind and watch the front doors to make sure nobody tried to enter during the investigation that was going on inside. They were talking to each other in a jovial manner, having a good time in their paired company. Both of them jumped when they heard the machinery start inside the factory, and they were running through the entrance to the building when the doors suddenly slammed shut behind them, locking them in with the growing shadows.

Alaina turned to Lightning with a flushed look on her face as Blitz ran up to meet them. They all knew that something had gone horribly wrong. ________________________________________________

Sandro and Adam were investigating the right side of the factory. This area comprised of many maze like walls and doors that led to empty rooms, much like a warren. The machinery around them seemed to be of a crushing or melting variety, the engines unattended, and dry.

The two of them rounded one of the corners in the maze of walls and doors, only to find themselves confronted by darkness.

Sandro turned around quickly, "I don't think this is the right way, let's try to go back and find how we even got into this mess."

Turning around to start back, the two of them heard a low moan, and watched as the darkness that had just faced them spread itself out, covered them, and surrounded the two. Slowly, it began to squeeze.

Sandro was quick to spot the danger, "This doesn't look good!"

The two of them both drew their weapons and began striking out at the darkness surrounding them. Over and over, the two fought and repelled the darkness around them. The darkness, unharmed, continued it's slow advance and squeezing.

A deep laugh came from the shadows, and as it did so, the darkness withdrew from the two androids. Just before the darkness withdrew completely, a small ringing sound came from Adam, and his pet Sato started spinning in mad delight on his shoulder.

Although the two didn't know it, the dark shadow that had surrounded them had activated the machinery around them while they two had been trapped fighting.

The shadow had followed through with it's deviousness, and had gained another victim. Adam, not realizing that his sato had reached full potential, set loose it's power. Doing the normal dance that went with it, he spread his arms out to his side as the sato decided to so some sort of ineffective photon blast. When spreading his arms, they were caught in the surrounding machinery, pulling one of the arms off completely, while the grinder that had a hold on his other arm sucked up the whole of his body.

Screaming in perceived pain, as his body was grinded to dust, Adam was able to quickly look out at Sandro, and the other five that had reached him to bear witness to his last moments.

The six watched in stunned silence, all of them but one upset about it. On Madison's face, a smile spread from ear to ear.

After Adam was nothing but dust, a deep laugh shook the entire building. The shadows drew close again, covering the light completely, leaving the remaining six in pitch darkness.

The laughing that shook the building took on a demanding voice -MORE, MORE, I WANT TO SEE MORE-

The interior of the factory took on a new form of cold as the dark spirit blanketed over the remaining six members of the little company. Each of them was in shock because of the death that had just taken place before their eyes, frozen with fear while the darkness sapped away their strength.

"We need to get out of here, fast!" Sandro warned them with a deep breath. "We need to find our way to the front door of this place again.'

Alaina, sobbing at the back of the group cried, "We can't, the spirits closed the door and locked us in..." Alaina trailed off as the tears continued to flow.

Kwannon stepped forward to take charge of the situation, "We must at least try to break through. If it doesn't work, we will not be facing anything worse than we are by simply standing here."

The group of six slowly made their way through the black of the factory. The assembly lines, mashers, and engines continued their newly activated labor on all sides, as the group strove to avoid falling into the same trap that Adam had just moments before. Over the sounds of the revving engines, shouts and cries from the dark spirits that inhabited the factory could be heard, as if attesting to the living six that they were indeed still there, being forced to work at the machines for all eternity.

In the distance, a dim line of light could be seen, highlighting the frame of the huge locked doors.

"That's it!" Blitz yelled, as he ran forward to start breaking the doors down. "Hey, Sandro, come help me, you Hucasts are the strongest things on Ragol these days."

Sandro joined Blitz in the busting process, and seconds later Lightning joined the effort as well. Kwannon and Alaina faced out into the darkness, watching and waiting for something more to happen. After a minute or two, Madison joined the two girls at the door, and began looking into the darkness as well.

Kwannon glanced at Madison briefly, bothered by the delay in her reaching the doors, and wondering if there had been a reason for it. Everything seemed fine though, and she turned her attention back at the surrounding darkness that was slowly squeezing the air out of her lungs.

At Kwannon's side, Alaina was having thoughts of misgiving. She was upset by the sudden loss of a group member, and feared that the same fate was soon to be shared by them all. As she stood in the cold, fearful of what lay ahead, she realized that there were ghostly fingers brushing the sides of her face. The fingers belonged to the shadows, she concluded. She suddenly had the thought that the darkness had chosen her as the next victim. Beginning to sob once again at her newly realized fate, she waited for the inevitable.

Standing a bit away from the other five, Madison looked at all that was happening with a smile on her face. She had known of the darkness immediately, and had embraced it's touch openly. The cold that had settled within her upon first entering the factory had been a welcome respite to the warm feelings of life. Finally, she was able to let go of the pain forever, losing sight of herself and any worries she had ever possessed. So cold, she thought, so cold. Turning her head away from the five that had entered the factory with her, she silently called out to the dark spirits that inhabited the place, telling them where they would find the intruders. The rest of the company didn't realize as she did, that though the dark spirits inhabited the factory, they were unable to see anything past their own shadow. The sight that they relied upon was always that of a human host. In this case, that host was Madison.

Laboring to break open the locked doors, Blitz, Lightning and Sandro felt the growing cold at their backs. Each of them was fearful of what was going to happen, each sensing that they had stepped into a trap that would be impossible to escape.

Five of the members of the company were bunched close together, with only Madison standing away from the group, her back to them, not caring whether they would get the door open or not, as the darkness around them began to fade to light once again. A momentary bright flash replaced the black, and as the light faded back to the familiar half-light of West Mac, the spirits of the thousands of factory workers materialized in front of the little company.

Lightning saw the blank faces that now surrounded he and his fellow hunters. "Oh my... We didn't stand a chance.."

As he trailed off, the spirits, which had materialized standing at their workstations around the machinery, laboring away for the rest of their eternal damnation, all stopped as one. A chill greater than any the group members had ever experienced settled into their respective bones as every ghostly worker turned their empty eye sockets from the machinery to those that had broken into their factory.

Walking backwards toward the door again, her eyes passing over the dead faces that surrounded her, Kwannon reached a hand back to pat the arm of Sandro, as if proving to herself that she wasn't alone in all of this, "How... how is opening that door coming along, Sandro?"

Sandro was almost speechless, seeing the same sight that the other five were. "I... uh. I'm working on it... I guess." He turned back to the doors, working on the locks again, trying to push aside the thought of the thousands of dead workers that were resting their eternal gaze upon him at that moment.

Seconds ticked by without any movement from the spirits. It was as if the ghosts of the factory were weighing the danger of these new visitors, or perhaps simply wondering why these six people were not at their stations at the assembly lines and engines. Long moments passed without change, until a sharp snap sounded as Sandro, Blitz, and Lightning finally broke open the door. The sound caused a gigantic shift of the feel within the factory. The air around the six took on the feeling of a clinging force, slowing the group down as they pushed the broken doors off of their hinges so that they may escape into the semi-lit city once again. The faces of the dead workers around them changed from a shared look of disinterest to a visage of horror, which was enhanced by their separate shrieks of rage when they realized that the doors to their home had been shattered.

No longer standing, the ghosts took flight after the small group trying to escape from the grave that was waiting for them.

"Open... the... door...!" Alaina screamed slowly, as the clinging of the air around her continued to pull her back into the factory, and throng of spirits rushing toward her.

Lightning, slowly turning his head, because the clinging air was affecting them all in the same way replied, "I... AM....!!"

Through it all, Madison had not moved once. Acting as an island between her group members, and the oncoming wall of ghosts, she stood perfectly calm. Lost not only to those that had hired her, but also to herself; the feelings of guilt and confusion swarmed within her head and made her blind to all that was happening without.

The other five were still working on pushing open the broken doors, slowed by their fear, and by the very air surrounding them. Blitz turned around one final time, realizing that Madison had not yet joined them, "Madison... this... isn't... accomplishing... anything... You... must... come... with... us...! Ow! I... bit... my... tongue...!"

But Blitz's warning came too late. Madison, suddenly regaining her senses, turned back to the group with a shocked look on her face just as the wall of ghosts reached her. Visibly inhabiting her body, the spirits ripped her from the inside out. Shrieking in pain one last time, Madison fell to floor in pieces.

Blitz slowly turned back to the other four in slow horror. In so doing, he tripped over Alaina's heel, and tumbled in slow motion into the blockade, knocking it open finally, filling the dim interior of the factory with half-light.

The new light pouring into the factory broke the bonds that had slowed down the company members, and they ran out into the city again, Blitz lifting himself quickly off of the ground, before taking off after them.

He was around just long enough to hear the massive scream of pain and rage that come from the wall of spirits as the half-light of West Mac hit them.

Meeting again at a nearby tavern, the remaining five members of the group sat in shocked silence as the bar tender served them up some sarsaparilla.

"Two people, killed in the same factory," Blitz theorized, more to himself than to any other, "and we didn't stand a chance."

Alaina, staring straight ahead of her, was thinking of happy memories. She had to agree with Blitz though, "We didn't even have a clue as to what we were up against in there."

Kwannon looked up from her drink at that suggestion. "You are right, Alaina. We didn't take the time to understand what we were getting into before we jumped right in. We are indeed fools."

Lightning and Sandro nodded in agreement with them all. They were shocked at what had happened to kill the two whom had died in there. They had also been made painfully aware of their own limitations by the happenings of that investigation. The slow realization that nothing had been accomplished, or even discovered, hit the both of them at the same time, and it was then that Lightning began to act.

Standing up to get the other's attention, Lightning slammed down his drink upon the bar counter, as if to demand the respect he deserved. He was aware that what was needed was going to be an unpopular decision, but the outlooks of the others didn't mean it was any less necessary.

"We are going back." He announced to the group.

The reaction of the group was a difficult one for him to surmise at first, as he was only greeted with shocked looks, and wide eyes. He had better convince them of why they had to do so before they put up any argument against the matter.

Raising his hand to hold off any complaints or outbursts, he continued, "We have to. I know that none of us wants to, but we must do so. There is simply no other way in which to complete our mission. We have an understanding of what to expect now, both with the dragon cavern, and with the factory of ghosts. That understanding will at least allow us to prepare for what will happen this time."

Kwannon couldn't help but break in before Lightning was able to complete his explanation, "I don't know about you, Lightning, but I saw what was going on back there. They did something to Madison while we were in there. They took over her mind or something, and it looked like she didn't get it back until right before they ripped her apart, as if they wanted to make sure she could feel the pain! What you are suggesting is simply lunacy! We have no chance against even one ghost, let alone the thousands we saw in there. What chance do you even think we could possibly have against a spiritual force that large?"

To Kwannon's surprise, Lightning replied with, "A better chance than you might think. Allow me to explain."

Kwannon was interested enough in what Lightning had to suggest that she settled down for s moment.

"We all saw what happened in there, and I think that it did so because we were getting close to something important. What's more, Blitz has informed us of the spirit's reaction to the light when the doors were finally thrown open, they couldn't take it. Since nobody in West Mac will tell us what happened in that factory to kill all those workers, we are going to have to take our chances with our actions inside that place. It seems to me that those people must have all died in a relatively short amount of time, almost as if it had been something within the factory that had finished them off. I want you all to explain to the group what it was you saw in your searches of the different sides of the factory. Leave no details out, as they might be a hint toward something larger."

The different group members each went over their separate journeys through the building, leaving out no details of what it was they had come across. The story of Sandro's investigation was the most informative. It was a quick decision that this was where the investigation had to start once again.

It was decided that they would all group together that time, and explore the side of the building that Sandro and Adam had during the first foray. They would tie themselves to each other by a rope to ensure that nobody would get lost in case the darkness overwhelmed them again. As well, they would take the doors off of the hinges first, and chop them into pieces, hoping that the added light would help keep the spirits at bay.

When the plan was all said and done, it seemed safe enough. They were standing side by side in front of the factory once again, tied together by a rope that was knotted at each of their waists.

"This is it," Kwannon observed, "Good luck everyone."

Just then, Blitz came up with a radical idea. "Hey! I've got an idea. Let's go hire a few more mercenaries from the hunter’s guild to help us in here. At least they would be more people for the spirits to pick on, if things don't go our way. How many people can we afford with the funds we have left over anyway?"

Kwannon thought back to the bank statement for a moment. Then realized that there was no need for her to do so "We have an unlimited amount of funds for the investigation process."

Blitz was happy about this. "Great!" he exclaimed, "Let's go into the city and visit one of my old haunts. I know a place where we can get some good help."

"Yay!" Shouted Alaina at this suggestion. "Now we won't die!"

"Oops, the dog peed on the floor." the NarmanB cane quipped as Alaina followed after the group.

"Nobody cares." Lightning replied.

The group moved into the downtown area of West Mac, a part of the city that seemed even darker than the rest of it, for some reason. Blitz decided to pull out a flashlight to light the path up a bit.

Ahead, a small one-story building came into view. It was here that Blitz lead the group. Since this was his home city, the group trusted him enough to know what he was going.

Taking respective seats around the lobby of the building, the group waited for Blitz to do his work at the front counter.

Blitz rang the bell at the front desk, waiting for service. He hoped against hope that his friends were still there, because he had always wanted to sacrifice their lives to a higher god. Now that he had the opportunity to do so, he wouldn't pass on it for the world. Something in the back of his mind whispered that it was not right to think things like that, but the madness of the factory had already taken over, and had helped to guide the spirits from the factory outside into the rest of the city. The downtown area, dark at all times of the day, suited them perfectly.

The receptionist for the hunter’s guild greeted him, and asked him if he needed anything.

"Oh yes, baby." answered Blitz, "Show me the hunters for hire that you have right now. Every single one of them, as I'm looking for a lot."

The receptionist pressed a button, which caused the wall behind her to swing open, the different mercenaries being displayed on the rotating floor. The receptionist raised one arm, showing them off in the manner of a professional displayer from a morning game show.

Blitz liked what he saw, and thought that he could kill them all. Glancing back to his fellow party members, he realized that it would be harder to kill all the mercenaries off with those four along. The madness in his brain started trying to work out a plan.

Two hours later, with no plan thought of, Blitz realized that the receptionist was impatiently asking if he is interested in hiring any of the mercenaries that were being displayed, as her arm was getting tired. The mercenaries for hire must have been getting tired as well, as they were all sitting on the rotating floor by then, some of them having gotten sick because of the continuous spinning.

"Oh yes, I would take all of them, BOOMSHAKALAKA!"

The doors to the back room opened, and twenty- six mercenaries jumped out, each of them ready to work.

Blitz paid the receptionist the $26,000 that was charged, and the thirty-one of them all left to take on the factory again.

"I have a bad feeling about this." nobody-fifteen stated as they all faced the factory.

Three of the thirty-one people looked at him in agreement, but the rest of them were confident that they would be able to take on the place successfully.

The attack upon the factory began with the breaking of the front doors. Though they had been broken down during the previous escape, they had somehow been rebuilt, and were seemingly as strong as they had been before they had been broken down originally. Long moments of kicking, pulling, shoving, and hacking caused the door to break down completely. This time, Lightning was sure to hack the doors into pieces in the hopes that they wouldn't be put back up while the group was inside.

Once the doors were broken down, the inside of the factory was illuminated by the half-light of West Mac. The thirty-one members of the newly expanded company stopped to gaze at the destroyed form of Madison for a moment before continuing on in.

At Sandro's suggestion, the group was split in two, or almost two, as there were an odd number of people in the party. Fifteen people stood by the open entrance into the factory, the remaining sixteen ventured forward, all headed to the area that Sandro and Adam had explored the last time they went in.

They found the maze like halls quickly, and winded through them into the declining light, further into the darkness that five of them knew would be waiting ahead.

"This is it." Sandro stopped before a door on the far end of one hall. Opening the door, the sixteen people are greeted by complete blackness. The members of the split party slowed their pace as one, all gazing into the darkness that waited for them. The eleven new members of the group had no idea what they were looking at, but the five that had been there before knew what this darkness meant.

They had found what they were looking for; it must be in this room.

Blitz, his mind freaking out in excitement over the new victims that he knew would be taken in this fight, suggested that they send in one of the new party members in order to bring the darkness out of it's hiding place.

The other four from the main party agreed to this with an amount of reticence. They all know what was about to happen.

A mindless drone by the name of ADE was sent in. A moment later, he ran out of the room with the blackness following after him. Letting out a girlish scream, ADE was eaten alive.

The blackness turned its attention on the remaining fifteen party members, who were laughing in delight at the death of ADE.

"Oh man," laughed Kwannon, "that was so funny! That guy had it coming!"

Blitz is screeching in delight at the death, growing stronger as ADEs' brain was sucked out of its skull, being consumed by the collective spirits in the factory.

Meanwhile, Sandro has ventured into the room that the darkness had just vacated in its perusal of ADE. He looked around at the room, unimpressed with its scant furnishings. He was thinking that there must have been something there that caused the darkness to return to the room, something that the darkness was warding, keeping it away from all visitors. But where was it?

The darkness, facing fourteen members of the expanded group, seemed to be deciding upon whom it should attack next. Spinning in delight, the shadows settled down over all fourteen members, and began to squeeze.

Sandro saw what was happening to his fourteen friends in the hall outside the room. He darted back into the room immediately, looking for something, anything, with which to destroy the squeezing force. Walking across the room, looking for anything that may help, Sandro tripped over a loose floorboard, falling to the ground with a crash. Because Sandro was a Hucast, the weight of the fall was enough to bust open a few of the floorboards beneath him. Looking down at the mess he had made with the floor, Sandro noticed something that had been concealed under the loose floorboard that he had just tripped over. "What's that?" he asked himself, while reaching for the hidden object.

In the hall, the fourteen members of the divided group fought the darkness that was slowly squeezing the life out of them.

"I'm sorry," Blitz announced, "this is all my fault. I was taken over by the spirits last time we were in here."

Kwannon looked through the darkness at Blitz, "What do you mean? I was under the impression that the darkness could only affect us in here."

"Apparently not, it was causing me problems all the way into the city." Blitz continued fighting off the black shadows.

"What the heck!" Lightning shouted, fighting alongside Alaina.

Alaina was crying again. "Poor blitz!"

"I hate to say it guys, I think I may have let the darkness spread to the rest of the city." Blitz turned toward them again, as if to get a last look at them all.

Outside the factory, fifteen mercenaries stood waiting for the others to come back. All of them were bored, thinking that this was just a waste of time. At least they had earned enough money to get dinner that week.

Moments later, the fifteen people that were part of the expanded group turned in shock, as thousands of ghostly forms started up the hill, making their way toward the factory. Standing between the factory and the approaching wall of ghosts, the fifteen mercenaries prepared for battle.

With a battle taking place in the hall, and a new battle happening outside the factory, Sandro was alone in a room, gazing at what he had just found hidden underneath the floor of the factory. It was a rare, yet what had been in the red box was a rare like none he had ever seen. It was a photon crystal, much like the prototypes that he had seen which hadn't been released to the public yet. But this photon crystal was different in that it was a pure black color. As he held the crystal in his hand, it was as if it absorbed all the light around it, leaving him in an even deeper half-light than he had been before uncovering it. Sandro had a feeling that in some way this crystal was the power behind the dark spirits in the factory.

And now he was holding that power in his own hands.

In the hall outside the room, Alaina cast a spell of funkiness. The spell had moved the four from the main group only inches away from their previous location, but amazingly, those few inches had been enough to bring them out of the darkness.

Blitz seemed very excited about something. "That's it!" He shouted.

"What's it?" Kwannon asked in interest.

"That's the opening theme to funky town!" Blitz replied. "Won't you take me down, to funky town?!"

Sandro motioned the four others into the room with him. As they entered, they were all in awe of the phantasm taking place in the palm of his hand.

"THAT'S IT!" Blitz yelled in a mixture of loathing and fear.

"What's it?" asked Kwannon again.

"That's the opening theme to.... wait a sec. That darkness in your hand there feels very familiar."

Alaina gazed intently into the dark crystal in Sandros palm. "So pretty," she whispered.

The darkness, done with it's killing of the other mercenaries in the hall, blocked the doorway to the small room that the five members of the company stood in. It began its approach to them slowly, knowing that it had the upper hand.

Sandro brought up his arm with the dark crystal in it, hoping to call upon some unknown power for protection. As soon as he did this, the darkness stopped its advance toward the group, and began backing away.

Lightning noticed this, and remarked upon it. "The dark crystal matches the color of the dark shadow out there."

Blitz was going over something in his mind. "I remember feeling like I had to keep you guys away from that crystal you have there. It could be the power behind the ghosts."

Kwannon had found something in a desk drawer against one of the walls. She was going over it, and a moment later let out a sharp breath of surprise. The others came over to her at once.

"This journal here is documentation of the previous owner of the factory buying that crystal you have off the black market. He didn't know what it was that he had bought before he had paid for it, only that it was something that was promised to change his life forever."

With the dark crystal absorbing light in his palm, Sandro commented, "That's for sure."

Kwannon went on with the reading; "He realized that it was the crystal causing the problems after the ghosts started killing the factory workers, but he was unable to do anything about it. The crystal was said to have come from the government, and if it were found that he owned it, he would have been in big trouble. His writing here claims that he was rarely able to control himself unless he was near the crystal. It seems that the crystal was not only the source of the darkness, but also it's weakness."

Kwannon turned immediately to the crystal in wonder. "This is the source of power for the spirits. That must by why Blitz came to his senses before he was killed, we were near the crystal."

They all nodded their head in agreement, beginning to understand what was going on.

"The magic I could work with that," Alaina said in wonder.

Lightning placed a hand on her shoulder in order to comfort her, "Alaina, you worked your magic just fine out there. If you hadn't, we would all be dead by now. Well, except for Sandro, of course."

"Thanks!" Alaina jumped up and embraced Lightning, kissing him hard on the mouth.

Sandro was looking at the crystal, now understanding what it was he had in his hand. "So.... This is the strength behind the spirits. We can take care of that." With that, Sandro dropped the crystal on the floor, which caused the dark shadows to appear at the door again, poised to strike down the intruders that had broken into the factor. The darkness stopped when Sandro raised his robotic foot above the crystal, bringing his full weight down upon it. Instantly the crystal was destroyed, and as it was, the dark shadows of the spirits let out a deafening scream of pain and anguish. After years of being imprisoned within the crystal, the dark spirits were freed, rising out of the factory, and into the heavens above.

Making their way past the strewn about lifeless bodies within the hall, the group of five went to the front entrance to find the doors were still broken, as well as the bodies of the fifteen mercenaries they had left outside, but that wasn't the biggest change.

The half-light was gone from West Mac, replaced, instead, by the shining, life giving light from the sun as it beamed its way into the city, chasing away the shadows that had claimed the place since the city’s creation three years earlier.

"The dark crystal must have been behind the darkness that had permeated this half of the city," Blitz observed, "we just started a whole new life for these people."

Alaina walked forward from the other four in the group, looking out at the beauty of the newly revealed West Mac, which now matched the brightness of East Mac easily. "It's a whole new world for them," she agreed, "They can start where they were supposed to now." She turned back to the other four with a big smile on her face, and a tear on her cheek.

Lowering her arm with the NarmanB cane, everyone hears a muffled, "I want to hack PSO SO BAD!"

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: trypticon on 2003-12-25 12:16 ]</font>

trypticon
Dec 25, 2003, 06:16 AM
Sandro, having had enough, yanked the NarmanB cane out of Alainas hands, and beat the face of the thing on the ground repeatedly. Each time the face would hit, he would scream out, "Shut up! Shut up! Shut up!!!"

The others laughed in delight.

The company of five made camp on a cliff overlooking the city of Mac, the view of West Mac sprawling below them, splendoring in it's newfound illumination.

"They will have to adopt a new anthem," Kwannon observed, as she turned away from viewing the city, and faced her friends once again, "perhaps something about a whole new world would be good."

Lightning looked up sharply, "Not like that stupid song at the intro to the game... I mean, the intro to the principals' building. They wouldn't want that, everyone has heard it a million times."

Kwannon shrugged the matter aside, and joined Lightning, Blitz, Alaina, and Sandro around the fire they had built for camp. While the fire might end up attracting some unwanted attention, it might also aid in repelling some forms of danger. Lightning had wanted the fire lit to add a bit of a mood to what he was planning for that evening anyway. There had been something on his mind, and it needed to be dealt with. He glanced for a moment into Alaina's eyes, so bright and beautiful. He only hoped that his friends from the city might arrive shortly so he could get this done quickly.

The company stayed seated for another hour, talking about what had happened during the journey so far, trying to find some manner of hope to their predicament. The conversation drifted to the cave with the ghostly dragon in it, and on anything that might have been noticed that could help in releasing the dragon from it's state on the planet surface, allowing it to pass to the afterlife. Nothing was discovered though, with each of them, minus Alaina, having seen the same thing there. It was decided that Chili must be revisited, but perhaps not right away, as the other cities may provide some clues on what actions must be performed there. The conversation was interrupted by the audible approach of another group of people in the darkness outside the circle of light provided by the campfire.

Sandro was on his feet at once, his robotic reflexes forcing him to stand and take on a defensive position. "It's so embarrassing when that happens," He said, when the new group of people came within viewing distance.

Lightning was up as well, squinting through the darkness at the people approaching the camp. He smiled in recognition of who these people were. This was the group of people he had been waiting for. He raised his arm in greeting at the three approaching.

"Hello, friends. It's nice to see that you were able to make it."

The hunter that led the group of strangers smiled back to Lightning, and then went on to introduce himself to the other four that Lightning was with. "Hello, everyone. My name is Mebius. This is Gender Bender, and that is Lectro." He pointed at the other two as he introduced them. "Lightning called for our help from the city down there. I'm actually surprised we were able to find you, since I usually conduct my investigations on a completely different platform."

The group of five looked at Mebius as if he was insane.

"There is only one Whole New World." Kwannon pointed out.

Mebius laughed in response. "Yes, perhaps that is true. You must be Kwannon, I've heard stories about you, and I'm glad to see that you are better than what was described."

Kwannon rolled her eyes at the compliment.

Mebius noticed this, and laughed again. "Not in the mood for compliments, I take it. Well that's fine. We aren't here for your attentions tonight anyway. I think Lightning has something he would like to say."

Everyone looked at Lightning in interest, not sure what Mebius was talking about.

Lightning stood up, realizing he had suddenly been put on the spot. He hadn't wanted his interests being pointed out by anyone other than himself. He looked at Mebius, wondering if he should just throttle him, and show him his anger. Alaina distracted him though, and her questioning eyes made his resolve melt inside. He had been called out, and now must do what he had been planning since they had first met up with Alaina.

Everyone was standing now, his four companions backing away to give Lightning the space he needed in order to make his speech, the three newcomers getting into position behind him.

"So now what?" Gender Bender asked, standing behind and to the right of Lightning.

Mebius began utilizing his skill of being a human beat-box, standing directly behind Lightning, allowing everyone to hear the sounds he was making.

"1, 2, 3, 4.." Lectro started, standing behind and to the left of Lightning.

"Heh!" Lighting shouted. As he did so, Mebius got louder behind him, making a sound like some hunter was rubbing the strings of a Crazy Tune with sandpaper. Then, Lightning began to sing, his eyes on Alaina as he started. The three behind him began to dance.

"Ain't got no silver, ain't got no shiny gold

I don't ever stand out in a crowd, never been too bold

When I ask a lady for the time, I never get the date

But suddenly the table's turned and..." Lighting turned to look at his back up singers, as they took the next line.

"Look what's on my plate!" Lectro and Gender Bender sang behind him, suddenly happy to be a part of this.

Lightning turns to face Alaina again, glorying in the smile that was on her face, as she danced around the campfire. Then, he continued to the song:

"I found sugar, looks like I made the grade

The sweetest lady that the good lord ever made

My soul was hungry but now the girl is mine

And love don't it taste so fine?"

Again, Mebius made a sound like a Crazy Tune.

"She gives a fever, about a million centigrade

And she's floatin' by us rubbernecks like a Macy's Day Parade

It's a kennel-full of droolin' fools; the hounds are on the hunt

But she looked me up and down and whispered.."

Lectro and Gender Bender jump in unison behind Lightning, screaming out "YOU, I'll take the runt!"

"Yeah!" Shouted the NarmanB cane, which was lying next to the campfire.

My soul was hungry but now the girl is mine

And love don't it taste so fine!"

Mebius came into view, changing the staccato thumping of his voice to a more regular beat. While he did this, Lectro and Gender Bender moved further apart. Lighting held his arms out straight, pointing to both of them as they sang:

"Well, he got sugar in the morning, got sugar in the afternoon, yeah! Got sugar in the evening with a knife and fork, got sugar with a wooden spoon! Well he got sugar in the car park, got sugar in the shopping mall! Got sugar in the elevator going down, got sugar anywhere at all!!!"

Everyone fell silent as a group of rappies and boomas began clapping, congratulating Lightning and his entourage on a job well done. After a few seconds of this clapping, Lightning and company started up again:

Lightning picked up first, "Heh! Heh! Right now, I'm a heifer just grazing at my will,

And my jelly-belly's full of love and it's growin' bigger still!

My loser friends are talkin' trash 'bout beauty & the beast,

But every kiss a sweet hors d'oeuvre and every night's a feast, yeah!"

Lightning pointed at Alaina, causing her to faint from excitement. Alaina fell into the waiting arms of Sandro.

Noticing the effect he has had on Alaina, Lightning picked it up a notch for the finale.

My Brain is buzzing, my lips the first in line!

And love don't it taste so fine!"

Lectro and Gender Bender broke in: "Well, he got sugar in the morning, got sugar in the afternoon, yeah..."

Lightning chimed in with, "Yes he does! Yes he does"

"...Got sugar in the evening with a knife and fork, got sugar with a wooden spoon!

Well he got sugar in the car park, got sugar in the shoppin mall..."

Lightning chimed in again with, "GOOD GOD!"

"...Got sugar in the elevator going down, got sugar anywhere at all!!!"

Lightning stopped singing, and walked over to Alaina. He looked down and felt bad for making her pass out. Reaching down to hold her in his arms, he gave her a slight kiss on the lips.

Alaina's eyes blinked open, and she jumped up out of Lightning's holding arms. "What was that all about?!" She demanded, slapping his face at the same time.

Lectro stepped forward to offer his take on the situation. "I'm thinking that Lightning loves you, young lady."

Mebius and Gender Bender muttered words of agreement in the background, but Alaina won't have any of it.

"He can't love me! That will only impede the mission that we have before us. Think about it, we come from different places in life. You're a hunter and I'm a sorceress. If you follow your thoughts through to conclusion, it will take us to a place we cannot go."

"But Alaina," Lightning pleaded, "Seeing your lovely face is the entire reason I wake up these days!"

Alaina was shaking her head no at him already, "Lightning, we have only known each other for a few days now, you can't make a claim like that yet. You should be with a nice hunter girl or something. Some of those Hunewearls are very pretty."

Suddenly everyone turned their attention on Kwannon who was standing in the background looking at the audience of rappies and boomas. After a moment, she notices everyone staring, "Don't look at me, I'm taken by Amanda already."

"Who's Amanda?" Sandro asked, realizing as he did so that Kwannon must really be a guy or something.

"That's his fianc? Alaina observed.

Kwannon nodded in agreement, "Yes, that's my... what the?" She looked at Alaina. "What did you just say?"

Alaina blushed, her cheeks turning a pale pink in color. "Hey, I'm a sorceress, I see things sometimes."

Picking up camp in the morning, the little company decided to journey to Burger, Kwannon's home city. The decision was reached after some careful deliberations over the chances of surviving the dragons again back in Chili. With everything packed up and ready to go, Blitz, Lightning, Sandro, Kwannon, Alaina, and the new group members, Mebius, Lectro, and Gender Bender all set off through the hills and mountains on their way to Burger.

Burger was positioned close to the coast of the main settled continent of Ragol. Only four years previous, it had been infested with large killer bees, and huge squids.

The city of Burger consisted, in large part, of condos and apartment complexes overlooking the beachfronts. Sandro and Blitz were happy to be there, as the beaches were decorated with attractive females lying on towels, dressed in bikinis, all out to get a tan. Lightning would have been interested as well, had he and Alaina not gotten together already, something that the head on the NarmanB cane wasn't very fond of. Kwannon walked ahead of the others, happy to be home again, but also wanting to get this over with. She had a feeling where they needed to go.

The group went first to the local hunters guild, and recruited a red head Hunewearl named Yuki. The men were impressed with Kwannon's choice for hired help, for Yuki was scantily clad in a negligee that matched her red hair. Small, and slight of build, the others in the group were wondering just how much Yuki would be able to take before getting herself killed. But the choice was made, and Yuki joined the group.

Kwannon knew exactly what needed to be investigated in this city. There was a large lab that Dr Osto had ordered built while Pioneer 1 was wrapped up in the experimentation of the late doctors' parasitic gene Flow. The lab had been constructed into the very rock that gave the beachfront support from being washed out to sea.

The government of Pioneer 2 had quarantined the lab after landing on Ragol, but Kwannon knew of a way in. Scaling down the cliffs would end up bringing them right on top of the place. There was an escape hatch positioned on the highest floor of the seabed lab.

The group went into the city in order to buy some climbing equipment for the undertaking. For the climb down the cliffs, the group secured themselves by each tying themselves to a long cord, the NarmanB cane tied at the very bottom of the line, smacking the NarmanB head against the cliff wall repeatedly while going down. The group was quiet on the way down, concentrating on clinging to the cliff wall, the only sounds that could be heard was the surf below, and the Ow, OOO, AUGH from the NarmanB cane. Long minutes later, the group had reached the roof of the seabed lab, and located the escape hatch that gave them entrance.

When the group reached the inside of the lab, they were surprised to find the lights on again, and the thrum of machinery running in the background.

"It seems that this place is still be used," Kwannon observed, as she looked into the hall beyond the room the others stood in. She wanted to get this over with, remembering the stories she had heard of this place, and of the great battle that had taken place between an unknown group of hunters and the one that had once been known as Flowen. The hall outside the room was short, with it rounding a corner only a few yards away. She gathered the rest of the group with her; it was time to get started.

Stepping into the hall beyond, the group of eight strove to achieve silence as they passed over the floor. They hadn't expected the lab to still be in operation when they broke in, and it was a shared thought that if the place was still in operation, there should have been some sort of guard at the escape hatch to prevent others from getting in so easily. Rounding the bend in the hall, a bit of that mystery was discovered though, as the group discovered a dozen scientists, their bodies bloody and torn apart, lying on the floor ahead of them.

Blitz looked around in distaste, the scent of the dead rising into his nostrils, causing his stomach to churn. "What could have happened here?" he asked, looking at each of the broken, defeated bodies.

Alaina stood back against the far wall of the hallway, shaking her head in a refusal to continue. "I... I have a bad feeling about this."

The others were quick to agree, and were trying to prod Alaina on so that they could continue when the sounds first started, and the group stopped in fear.

"What was that?" Sandro demanded.

'Split, splat, split, splat...'

Mebius looked around the corner and into the hall they had just come from, seeing a lone scientist hobble toward the group. "Wait," he said, "who's that?"

The rest of the group looked to the oncoming scientist in relief, happy to see that something was alive down here after all. They were greeting the scientist, who's walking was slow and forced, when he moved into the light, and the group saw the face. It was in a state of deterioration, the blood from the sores and slashes gone cold and dried, and the mouth hanging open as if in a silent scream for help.

Alaina screamed in fear, realizing the dozen dead scientists that the group had encountered on the floor were animated once more, some with limbs missing, others hopping, walking, or crawling toward the group of eight.

They were surrounded by zombies on both sides.

"Go!" Blitz ordered, pushing Kwannon, Mebius, Lectro, Gender Bender, Yuki and Alaina away. "Lightning, Sandro, and I can take care of this. You people need to find what we're looking for in here."

"What about you?" demanded Alaina, crying in fear.

Sandro looked at his old friends, knowing very well that he may never see them again, "We'll catch up if we can. Now go! Be careful though!"

Kwannon grabbed Alaina's hand, and pulled her after the others. The only way they were going to get through this was to stick together. They ran through the zombies that were fronting them, passing them easily, and set off through the halls of the lab, Mebius, Yuki, Lectro, and Gender Bender only a step behind.

They ran heedlessly ahead, not knowing where they were going, but also not caring. Rooms and hallways passed, many of them with dead guards and scientists rising to greet them. They worked their way further and further down into the depths of the lab, finally coming to a stop at the edge of a vast pit. Behind them, screams could be heard from the zombies that were following. In the dark of the pit, silence greeted them.

Swinging his sword from side to side, Blitz fought for his life along with Lightning and Sandro. The zombies were barely slowed by the damage that the three were inflicting upon them, and the hunters were tiring quickly. Something had to be done to stop this battle, and fast. "Lightning, Sandro," he yelled, "We need to get out of here! We can't keep this up forever."

Making one final front towards the zombies, they three of them broke away, and took off down the hall in the direction that their friends had gone minutes before. They ran for a long time, winding their way through the halls and rooms, encountering the same things that Kwannon's group had during their run, stopping only briefly in each room to see what was in their way before continuing. The zombies they were encountering were slow, which helped them evade the things almost entirely. It was only when a throng of zombies stood in their way that they were forced to fight them off.

The three of them continued through the lab until they reached a small room with a computer in the center. It was a dead end. In the hall outside the room, they could hear the zombies approaching.

Blitz went immediately to the computer console, finding it already turned on, and the security bypassed. Whoever had been using it before must have been killed while doing so. Clicking through the screens, learning the commands that were needed as he went along, he found some information of interest.

"Hey, get this," he started, "the zombies were made possible by a mutation of the parasite gene Flow, that same one that just about killed everything from Pioneer 1."

This got Lightning's attention quickly. "I thought our government was supposed to have done away with that gene entirely! What's going on in this place?"

Blitz shook his head negatively. "It seems that the government aboard Pioneer 2 continued the research in secret. We can see where it got them now though."

Sandro looked over to the two at the computer for a moment, "Is there any information on how to seal these rooms? I can see the gate there, but I'm not able to close the thing. It must be done electronically."

"Great idea!" Blitz said, pressing buttons on the computer, sorting through option after option within the seabed lab, finally coming to the control room, seeing a view of the room appear at the top of the screen. He could see himself, Lightning, and Sandro standing within the room, a tracking device indicating the zombies were walking through the hall close by. Pressing another button, the gate to the room slammed shut behind him. The three of them were safe again.

Blitz started through the room views again, it was time to find his friends.

At the edge of the pit, Kwannon, Alaina, Mebius, Gender Bender, and Yuki stood in fear. The zombies began to come into view in the dimly lit hallway outside the room, shambling closer with every step, screaming and moaning in their rage and pain, with the hunger of human brains driving their madness.

The group drew their weapons to defend themselves, the NarmanB cane protesting when brought forth in Alainas' hands, reminding everyone of its stats, advising that even using a simple stick would be better than using the cane. The group ignored him; there was only one way out of this.

The first of the zombies had just stepped into the small room with the group, moaning in delight as it sensed the hunger would finally be abated, when the gate to the room slammed down and through the zombie, slicing it in half with its weight.

The group froze, not knowing what had happened, but happy it had. A voice greeted them from a set of speakers in the room. "This is Blitz, is everyone alright?"

Kwannon lowered her weapon, relief rushing through her body. "Blitz, it took you long enough."

At Alaina's feet, the half of the zombie that had been left in the room came back to life, grabbing onto her legs. This caused Alaina to lose her balance, and with the NarmanB cane in hand, she tumbled backward into the black pit behind her, screaming in fear as she did so.

Those in the room with her ran to the pits edge, shouting in surprise, trying to catch her before she was gone completely. It had happened in an instant though, Alaina was gone from them, along with the NarmanB cane, it's last words as it tumbled through the darkness, 'BRB'.

But their surprise could only last a moment, for the half of the zombie was struggling to get a hold of another.

In the computer room, Blitz, Lightning, and Sandro had seen what had happened to Alaina, but had seen something else, as well. The pit that Alaina had fallen into was very deep, leading to a room that was named Test Subject Disposal. Tracking Alaina in her fall, Blitz was able to determine that she had fallen onto an elevator car only a floor or two from the rim of the shaft. She was still very much alive and well. But the force of her falling had activated the elevator again, and now it was moving down the shaft to that room, and whatever lie within it.

"I'm not able to get a view of it," Blitz informed the other two, speaking of the Test Subject Disposal room, "She's on her own for now, I'm afraid."

Switching back to the view of the room that held Kwannon, Yuki, Lectro, Gender Bender, and Mebius, Blitz once again spoke to the people, telling them what he had found about Alaina's whereabouts. The group heard him, and steered the half-zombie's attention away from the edge of the pit, not wanting it to fall in, and Alaina be left alone with it in the darkness below. Mebius, Kwannon, and Yuki were all casting spells upon the half-zombie, trying to burn it away to nothing at all. Blitz realized that this might be a good idea, the mutated gene probably wouldn't hold up against flames very well. He spoke over the intercom to them again, encouraging them to continue with the fire spells, for each casting was slowing down the half zombie considerably. Knowing that they were well, Blitz turned his attention to the two that were with him again.

"Alright," he started, "there must be something that we can do about what's going on in here."

Lightning and Sandro were both in agreement. From their current location, they were able to view the entirety of the seabed lab, except for the subject disposal room. The cause of the zombies was understood now, and the gates to the rooms that held the only living things in the place were secured. It gave them plenty of time to contemplate on what needed to be done. The three of them turned their collective attention back to the computer, pouring over option after option about the complex, the recent workers, the government assignment, and the discovered side effects from infected people. It was an eye opening investigation for them, but it didn't help much in deciding what to do. Switching back to a view of the separated group in the other room, Blitz saw that they had finished off the half-zombie completely, it was now a pile of dust, and the three spell casters looked to be very tired. They went back to searching through the info on the complex, and they discovered the experiment detail log.

Glancing over it, knowing that this would be the best info for a solution to their problems, they found quickly that the experiment had broken out further than was desired, but had also been contained. The seabed lab had been transformed into the planned containment unit for the experiment, and the place abandoned. The only ones that were left were those that had been infected already. No cure had been found.

"Turn on the intercom again, Blitz." Sandro requested. "There is one way out of this."

Blitz did as he was asked, and Sandro began to speak, "Alright everyone. We all knew pretty soon when we got in here that not all of us would be coming back out. The problem is that a large distance now separates us, and there are dozens of zombies between us. They are slow, but they are still a problem." Sandro stopped for a moment, dreading what was needed, but also understanding that it must be done, lest none would get out of the lab alive. "Kwannon, Mebius, Lectro, Gender Bender, Yuki, I'm going to activate the elevator again, and bring Alaina up to the rest of you. Please wait for her before making your escape. You will find an exit to this place by heading straight through the hallway again for about a quarter mile, and then making a right hand turn in the large tunnel. You shouldn't have a problem finding it at all. I will miss all of you, it was an honor working with you." With that, he motioned for Blitz to switch off the intercom.

"Blitz, Lightning, you will be able to find your way out straight back the way you came, and up through the escape hatch again. You will be separated from the main group, but it is the only feasible way for you two to get out from the position we are at right now. The others are going to make their exit through means of the abandoned West Control Tower. You will be able to find them there after you escape. It is a journey of several days from outside the lab here, but it is where they will be, I will make sure of that."

"What do you plan to do?" Blitz asked.

Lightning nodded in agreement, "You don't plan on staying here, do you?"

Sandro faced the computer terminal again before answering. "I'm the only one that can. I'm an android, and can be connected to this terminal. Because of that, I can take control of the entire complex, including the doors, and self-destruct system. We just saw an example that the mutated gene would succumb to flame. Since this is the quarantined area for it, causing the place to self-destruct will give us the chance to wipe out the gene entirely. But only one of us can do that, me."

"We can't lose you, Sandro. You were one of the originals here!" Lightning was upset about Sandro's decision, but realized that the Hucast was correct. There was no other way to ensure safety to all the members of the divided groups. Only Sandro, connected to the control station that monitored the entire lab, would be able to close the doors in order to protect the quicker running people from the slower moving zombies. And only by ensuring that the self destruct system was set off correctly could the group ascertain that Ragol would be free from the threat of the mutated gene for all time. He looked at this Hucast who had become more than a mere soldier, but more a friend to everyone in the group.

Blitz was thinking the exact same things that Lightning was, and as well, realized there was no other way around the trap they had gotten themselves into.

"Please, you two," Sandro stuttered, "I need your help connecting myself to this. I can't be sure I'll do it correctly any other way."

Slowly, painfully, Lightning and Blitz started connecting Sandro up to the control system of the seabed lab. It only took a few moments to ensure that the connection was done correctly and completely, and when it was over, Sandro requested that the two of them stand close to the gate in preparation to run back the way they had come.

Sandro activated the elevator again, bringing Alaina back to the others in the small room she had fallen from. In his minds eye, he could see her being embraced by Kwannon, comforted in her arms. Sandro spoke to the people in that room, telling them to get close to the gate, just as Blitz and Lightning were, so they could make their way out of the lab quickly and safely. The members of the group complied.

Sandro looked back to Blitz and Lightning, knowing that this was the end for him. Then the doors were open in both rooms, and everyone but he was running back through the halls and rooms of the seabed lab. Sandro tracked the separated groups through the halls, sealing the incorrect paths before them, as well as behind them when the zombies started after them, separating them from any forms of danger that would harm them. He sealed the door again to the room he was in so that he would not be interrupted in his duty. If anything, he was determined that his own death would only be accepted if he were able to protect the rest of the group.

It took only moments for Blitz and Lightning to escape back to the hatch they had used to enter the lab. Sandro got on the intercom again and ordered them to get back out through it, and swim to shore quickly. He was able to track them only so far as exiting the lab, the rest they would have to do on their own.

Turning his full attention to Kwannon's group, Sandro monitored their progress through the many halls and intersections of the lab. Over the intercom, he ordered them to stop when they reached the main hallway that led to the West Tower. He explained to them where they were going to exit, and suggested they be careful there, for the West Tower was abandoned, and dark inside. He told them that Blitz and Lightning had gotten out of the place safely, and that the two of them would be heading to the West Tower right away to meet up with the rest of the group. Then he opened the gate of the main hallway and ordered them through, starting up the transport at the end of the hall while he did so.

It took the main group a few minutes to reach the transport, and after they had all gone from the seabed, Sandro started up the self-destruct system. The seabed was fully self-contained, and there was no chance of the explosion not destroying everything that was within. There was no hope for his personal survival. No hope, as well, for any survival of that parasitic gene Flow. Finally, after all the trouble it had caused, it would be destroyed completely, and the world would once again be allowed to progress as it was meant to. He looked up sharply as the first jolt shook the room he was in. The explosions had begun.

Blitz and Lighting had done as Sandro had requested, and swam to the shore. Looking back at the ocean from the safety of the city, they saw as the explosions began, causing an entire cliff shelf to buckle and collapse under the shock and jolt of the explosions below and within. The explosions caused the water to heave in a small tidal wave, flooding the beach, and a short way into the city. The two of them turned away from the ocean then, knowing they had lost one of the finest hunters on the planet.

In the black of the West Tower, a small light was ignited, and a long screaming sound was heard. It was Alaina, setting the hair on the NarmanB cane on fire.

"Is everyone alright?" Kwannon asked in the darkness.

The group members all muttered in acknowledgement to the Hunewearl. Behind them, the transport back to the seabed lab faded and vanished. They were stuck in the West Tower for now. In the distance of the tower, they could hear the movements of something large.

The morning brought with it a sparkling sun unlike any that the city of Burger had witnessed in years. In truth, the shine could be credited to the cliffs that had been knocked down the previous day by the actions of Sandro, controlling the self-destruct mechanism within the seabed lab. Escaped from the confines of the lab, Lightning and Blitz had been able to swim to shore and take cover within the seaside city before the explosion had occurred, saving themselves for another battle, and the chance to locate the main group that Sandro said had made it safely to the confines of the West Tower.

But the two of them were having some problems finding a person that could guide them to the said Tower. Both had been asking around the city for a few hours about the Tower, and all those that were asked avoided the question entirely, seemingly frightened by the very mentioning of the location. Both Blitz and Lightning found the behavior unusual, and were unsure of how to proceed. Before all was lost though, they came across the city hunter?s guild.

Entering the guild, Blitz went straight to the front desk in the hopes of working his usual charm on whatever female might be working there. He was slightly put off to see a male ranger approach the desk.

"Hello, my name is Blitz. I?m here to inquire about a route to the West Tower."

The man behind the counter looked at him with a smile on his face, "Are you sure you want to go there? That place is home to some of the biggest baddies this side of Ragol."

At this, Lighting got up from where he had been sitting, and joined Blitz at the front desk, screaming in protest as he did so.

Blitz was shaking his head back and forth slowly, "That place was supposed to be cleared out, I thought. A bunch of our friends got trapped in the place, and we were supposed to rendezvous with them there."

Lightning was openly crying by then. "I knew I shouldn't have left her side! Oh Alaina!"

Blitz turned to his friend, placing a hand on his shoulder to calm him. "It's alright, little buddy, we?ll find them."

The man behind the counter gave a wide grin as he looked at the two before him. It had always been the man?s dream to take on the dangers of the planet with a group of skilled hunters, and this was his chance. "You won't find them without a guide to get you there," he said curtly, "lucky for you, I'm around."

Lightning looked up hopefully, "You'll go with us then?"

The man nodded in response, "Indeed, I will. My name is Zach, by the way, Zach the Ramar. It's nice to meet the two of you."

Blitz was looking around the small lobby. "What about the hunters guild here? Don't you have to stay and look after that?"

Zach came out from behind the counter, placing a Will Return At ?:?? Sign on the desk. "Nope, I own the place. It is officially closed until I get back."

~o~

Two weeks later, the three of them finally trudged the last few steps needed to reach the ruins of the West Tower. It had been a lengthy journey, and the three were exhausted, but spurred on by the hope that they would find their friends alive, they pressed on over the crushed rock path that led to the front door of the dark Tower. They were slightly surprised to find the doors hanging off their hinges.

Lightning squinted his eyes, peering through the black and gloom that was the interior of the West Tower. He didn't like what he felt there, a cold that clung to his skin, refusing to let go.

Zach was looking up at the tower a few stories, seeing something that the others had missed. "It can't be all dark inside, the lights are definitely on upstairs."

Blitz followed Zach's eyes up the wall of the Tower to the lighted interior, noting that it was at least the third floor before the lights were on at all. The windows were clear enough to see into the tower, allowing him to catch a glimpse of the missing party members. "They are in there!" he said in shock. "Why haven't they come outside yet?"

Lightning unsheathed his sword from across his back before answering. "I don't know, but we'd better get in there and find out."

The three of them tiptoed their way into the darkened halls of the West Tower, unsure of what they would find there, but knowing that there was a problem if their friends hadn't made it out of the Tower yet. With the front door wide open, two weeks should have given them more than enough time to find their way out, even in the dark.

The three of them walked from the entrance to the far side of the first floor, discovering the problem immediately, the transport to the next floor was shut down.

"Oh that's great!" wailed Lightning. "I'll never see me lovekins again! ALAINA!"

Zach laughed at the other, deep bellowing guffaws that seemed to shake the entire building.

"Hey, what about this over here?" Blitz asked, standing at the side of the walkway, looking straight up to the other floors of the place. "If we had a grappling hook, we could easily climb up to where we saw them."

"That's not a bad idea!" exclaimed Lightning, hope within him being rejuvenated that he would indeed see his love again, would be able to hold her tight and never let her go.

Blitz shook his head, "Too bad we don't have one."

"Oh, we don't?" Zach asked, reaching into his shirt to pull out a grappling hook with a thirty-foot rope tied on.

Lighting jumped for joy, reaching over to hug his new friend, Zach. "I don't know where you had enough room in your shirt to stash that, but man, am I glad you came with us."

Zach smiled, patting the others' back in friendship. "I'm happy too, Lightning. I have been looking for an excuse to get out of that office for years. I?m just not sure I wanted to escape from there to this place."

The three of them looked up in surprise, as the lights on the second floor flickered on. After a moment, they could hear the screams of their friends. Immediately, Zach threw the grappling hook to the next floor up, the hook resounding in a loud clang as it hit the target.

"Alright," he said, "your friends need help. Let's get up there fast."

The three of them climbed the rope, one after another, making it safely to the second floor of the West Tower. When they found the others, their hearts froze in fear. A dozen flowers cornered Kwannon, Alaina, Mebius, Lectro, Gender Bender, and Yuki. But these were flowers unlike any they had ever seen, each of them towering to the very ceiling of the second floor, and with the blade-like arms of a grass assassin.

"Alaina!" Lightning called out. "I've returned for you!"

Blitz shook his head in wonder; amazed that Lightning had made it this far. His love for Alaina was going to end up getting him killed if he didn't watch it. "There goes the element of surprise," he observed as half of the flowers turned to face the three newcomers, moving over the floors easily to pin them against the metal fence the three of them had climbed to in order to reach the rest of the party.

"That's it," Lightning screamed, "let the death begin!" He ran to the first of the huge flowers, swinging his sword in anger, striking the base and stem of the flower with deadly accuracy. Within moments, the first was dead, and the remaining five pounced on him at once, each of them spitting a high level spell out in fury of their dead brethren.

"Lightning watch out!" Alaina screamed from the other side of the room.

But it was too late. Lightning turned for the last time to the voice of his love, his eyes open wide in shock as his heart stopped, and the picture faded before him. In a moment, he was dead on the floor.

"No!" Alaina screamed, the tears streaming down her face in a cascade of despair. "I won't let you take him!" Clenching her hands before her, she closed her eyes in a mixture of rage and concentration, freezing the entire room as she did so. But in her anger, she didn't stop there. The spells continued, going through fire, jellen, zalure, and then to her favorite, the name of her love, lightning. Within a span of five seconds, the entirety of the floor was cleared of enemies, and she had rushed over to the body of her dead love.

Blitz, Zach, Kwannon, Mebius, Lectro, Gender Bender, and Yuki gathered together to clasp hands in greeting before going to check on the other two. Each of them knew that there was no hope for Lightning, all having seen how badly he had been hit by those killing spells from the flowers. Now, they were worried that Alaina may have expended herself in the rage she had let out. The power she had unleashed had been too much, meaning she would have had to expend not only her magical strength, but also the strength that gave her life. When they did approach her, it was with caution.

She looked up at them when they got close, blue fires of rage and hurt burning in her eyes. She held the dead body of Lightning close to her, unwilling to give up another member of the group to an unnecessary death.

"Hey baby," the NarmanB cane that had been thrown aside in her haste to get to Lighting whispered to her, "let him go, he's gone now."

She blinked her eyes, the fires disappearing as she did so. "You're right, cane. I... I... I know." She let go of Lightning then, taking up the NarmanB cane again, and standing to meet her friends. "I'm alright." she assured them, "Just a bit tired."

Yuki looked around the room again, suddenly realizing where she was, "I... have a line!"

The others clapped for her for a while, happy that she was able to get in on the fun. Then, they descended the rope ladder to the first floor, and made their way out of the West Tower for the last time.

~o~

Making camp well away from the boundaries of the tower, the eight that remained of the group talked about what was going to come next. While it was true that there was still one city that hadn't been visited, as well as the cave back in Chilli that they needed to attend to, Blitz had taken notice of something, and brought it up when everyone had settled in for business.

"We have seen and experienced some strange things so far during this journey." he stated, his eyes passing over each of the group members. He remembered the beginning of the journey, the companionship he felt from the original members of the group, as well as the first few that were hired on to help. It was that memory that had caught his attention and forced his speech that night. "We all knew that this was going to be a hard mission, and that some of us were not going to come back. The memories of those lost will stay with us for all time, but it is about time that we avenged each of them."

Kwannon interrupted for a moment, "How do you mean, Blitz? We are doing what we were sent to do as it is. So far, there isn't anything to avenge; we're just doing our job."

The others muttered in agreement with Kwannon. But Blitz shook his head. None of them understood things as he did yet.

"That's where you are wrong, Kwannon. When Sandro, Lightning and I were searching through that computer terminal in the seabed lab, we came across some interesting information. The government is still working hard on the Pioneer project, and the people of the world are the test subjects."

Kwannon stared back at Blitz in disbelief. "I don't know if I can believe that."

Blitz stepped closer to the group, insistent on making his point. "Think about it! Who in the government had the power to reactivate the factory that Adam and Madison were killed in? Who had the ability and the funds to ensure that the lights were never turned on in all of West Mac, making the people there fear for their own lives? Who had the power to reinstate the seabed lab and the pioneer project where we lost Sandro? And finally, who could have possibly have reinstated power to the West Tower where we just lost Lightning?"

"It's the Principal," Alaina whispered to the group members, each of them turning in surprise at the answer.

"You are correct," replied Blitz, "we weren't sent to find out anything. We were test subjects for the pioneer project, just like all of those other mercenaries that had come before us. When we reached the Hunter's Guild in Chili, we were expected. They had known we were coming that day, and had happily given us the information that could have easily led to us being infected."

Mebius spoke up from the side, "So you are suggesting that we take on the Principal then?"

To everyone's surprise, Blitz answered with, "No. It isn't even the Principal in power anymore. It's that babe of all babes, Nol."

~o~

And so the eight of them trekked back through the mountain ranges, the fields and forests, back to the building that held the Chambers of the Principal. The journey took them a full week to complete, and they used that time to plan out their method of attack. Blitz and Kwannon, the only remaining members of the original party, would have to be the ones to face the Principal in his chambers first. The other six would position themselves outside the doors to the chamber, waiting for the attack that they knew would come. Blitz and Kwannon would somehow force the Principal to leave the chamber entirely, pushing him into the path of the six outside the doors. If the information found in the computer at the seabed lab had been accurate, there should be a switch behind the Principals desk that would disable the life support for all of the life that the project had infected already. It had been these infected subjects that the group had been fighting from the beginning, the ghostly ones just in a further state of infection than the zombies or the flowers had been from the seabed and the West Tower.

It was a simple plan, and the group expected no problems whatsoever as they entered the great halls of the building, and got themselves into position. Before anything could be done though, the group came across the battered form of Irene sprawled in the center of the hallway.

Blitz rushed to the lady that he had known to say the same things over and over again before, sitting her in an upright position before questioning her. She was alive, he found, but just barely.

"Old woman," he said, shaking her body to wake her up, "Wake up, old bat!"

Irene's lids opened to reveal that her eyes had been gouged out, "Who's there?" she asked. "You must get away from this place. The project is almost complete. Soon there will be none who aren't infected. Those ones sent on the last mission are all lost, killed within the West Tower and the seabed, there is no hope for us."

"I beg to differ," Blitz told her, "for we ARE the remnants of that group, come to avenge those that have been lost already." When he finished, he threw her back to the floor, her head splitting as it hit with full force against the marble stone.

The others had heard what had been said, as well, and none of them were happy. Why they had been sent on the mission was a mystery, but in light of the infinite funding that had been provided to the original four, it seemed that the mercenaries were to act only as unwitting meals for the infected subjects of the Pioneer experiment.

"Let's get this over with," Gender Bender demanded, moving in position at the side of the great doors that led into the chamber that held that hated man, the Principal.

Lectro, Mebius, Yuki, Zach and Alaina followed suite, standing on each side of the double doors, withdrawing their weapons in order to defeat that hated one that Blitz and Kwannon would force out. Then the doors were opened, and Kwannon went in, followed closely behind by Blitz.

The Chamber was surrounded on all sides by light fixtures, the individual lights radiating their power into the eyes of the two visitors, blinding them with their intensity. The two walked forward slowly, unable to see past the ring of lights, unsure what they were going to encounter when they reached the far side

"So, the two of you come back after all," a booming voice greeted from behind the lights. "It is good to see you back so soon. Unexpected, but good."

"Don't toy with us, Tyrell," Blitz answered, "we know what this is all about."

The Principal laughed at them then, the sounds echoing off the walls of the chamber. "You think you know everything, eh? Then you have discovered the truth behind the haunting of the separate cities? Why don't you come over here and give me your reports."

Kwannon took on a very serious tone, "I don't think so."

Then she and Blitz were running at the hated man behind the desk, their weapons drawn, the photon energy buzzing in the silence. They reached him quickly, jumping into combat with him, and striking him down with a single slice of a blade. In the bright light of the room, the head of the Principal rolled away as his body fell upon the floor.

"That was too easy," Blitz observed, looking down at the dead body, "much too..." He never finished, falling to the floor himself, a single gunshot sounding in the chamber.

Kwannon looked up in fright, realizing that they hadn?t been alone at all. She saw a figure move through the lights, and ducked out of the way as another shot was fired at the desk. Then she was up and running back through the chamber toward the doors at the far end of the room. She pulled open the doors, and ran out into the hall. Ran out, as well, into the waiting six of the group that were poised for attack.

The six, following through with the plan, attacked Kwannon as a group. Five of them backed off quickly though, noticing whom it was that they were fighting after the first scream of pain sounded from her. But the sixth, Yuki, was still pounding away at Kwannon with a vengeance. Kwannon thrust her sword through Yuki in defense, causing Yuki to fall upon her, her own blades piercing Kwannons heart, and ending the battle. In a matter of moments, they had both died.

The remaining five stepped back in shock. It was clear that the attack hadn?t played out as they had expected it would. But what had happened to the Principal? What had happened to Blitz?

Lectro took a step forward. "We'd better go in there to see what happened." Not waiting for the others, he opened to the doors to the room again, and stepped through. The others followed behind him.

Just as Blitz and Kwannon had been, the lights that ringed the chamber walls blinded the five. Just as Blitz and Kwannon had been, they were unaware of the other in the room. They stepped forward through the room as one, coming to the desk of the dead Principal quickly, and seeing the bodies that lie there.

In the blinding light of the chamber, a voice called out to the five, "Ragol is mine, and you people are finished."

"Who are you?" Mebius asked. "Show yourself."

The lights dimmed enough for the five to see normally again, and as they did, Nol slipped out from behind Irene's desk. "It is I, Nol, mega-babe of the universe!"

"This isn't good," Gender Bender observed, "the stories say that all men are powerless against her!"

"No way!" Lectro shouted, pulling out his sword, and running to battle the girl.

Nol laughed as Lectro ran toward her, pulling out her mechguns, blasting him dead in mid stride. Then she turned her attention on the other four, taking down a stunned Mebius, Zach, and Gender Bender before being frozen by Alaina.

"Haha!" Alaina laughed. It was she that would be able to avenge the deaths of so many, she that would be able to save the entire world of Ragol from the evil of Nol. She thought for a moment on those that had died along the way, each of them becoming more than just mercenaries over the adventure, had instead become friends, and in the case of one, Lightning, a lover.

"Come on, Alaina," urged the NarmanB cane, "you have her right where you want her!"

Of course the cane was right, she did have Nol right where she wanted her. She thought back to the death of Lightning once again, and how she had held him after he had died. She had not been able to save him, but she had been able to feel the magic that had killed him, and learn from that feeling the exact spell. She lifted her arm to Nol as the other broke free of the ice, landing upon the floor in a heap. Then she released the killing magic upon that one whom she hated so much, her lips curling in a snarl as she did so. Nol let out a scream as the Megid hit her, but in seconds the scream died into silence, along with the beating of her heart.

Alaina walked back behind the desk of the Principal, forcing her way past the dead bodies of Tyrell and Blitz in her search for the switch that Blitz had talked about. She found it quickly, positioned underneath the counter top, blinking green to signify that that support for the infected subjects was indeed in place. It would only take a flick of the switch to free the world from the horror it had come to know since the introduction of the Pioneer project.

"What are you waiting for?" the NarmanB cane asked, "flick the switch, and we can get out of here."

Her fingers toyed with the switch for a moment, her eyes gazing upon it in wonder. Such power, such force. It was all in her hands, left to her to complete. She suddenly felt a surge of hunger rush through her, a hunger for power. "I'm sorry," she apologized, "but you're not going anywhere, Mr. Cane." She looked up then, the snarl once again forming on her lips. In her eyes, the blue fires raged once more. She picked up the NarmanB cane, and smashed it against the wall, the head breaking off with the force of the blow, and rolling across the room to join the head of the Principal.

She had underestimated the power of the megid. The spell was used to take a soul, but the soul that was taken became part of she who cast it. In her mind, the memories of Alaina faded, replaced instead by those of Nol.

Ragol was indeed hers to command, just as it always had been.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: trypticon on 2003-12-25 12:34 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: trypticon on 2003-12-25 13:00 ]</font>