PDA

View Full Version : The top five games of this console generation.

shinto_kuji
Dec 26, 2003, 02:29 AM
I know this type of topic has probably been done before, but new games are always being released sooooo... (also, this is all opinion based so no saying "omg, that game is teh sux! it isn't one of the best 5!!1")

my top pics:

5) The Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

4) Viewtiful Joe

3) Xenosaga: Episode I

2) RAD: Robot Alchemic Drive

1) ICO (love that game... still! ^-^)

Dangerous55
Dec 26, 2003, 02:30 AM
It is all personal opinion, there really is no best.

shinto_kuji
Dec 26, 2003, 02:33 AM
hence why i said "this is all opinion" ._.

polishedweasel
Dec 26, 2003, 03:09 AM
I hate you all. That's my opinion.

anwserman
Dec 26, 2003, 03:23 AM
I have my own opinions on the top 5 games... plus possible series thrown in.

5.) Buffy the Vampire Slayer game series. Proves that games licensed from TV shows don't have to suck. Mr. Pointy!

4.) Phantasy Star Online. First online semi-MMORPG for a console. Impressive (and utterly addictive) stuff indeed.

3.) Golden Sun series. I'm playing through The Lost Age now and I'm replaying the original to collect all the of the dgynn (sp?) so I can go against the true boss in The Lost Age. Can only take quick doses of each at a time, but both keep on reeling me back.

2.) Grand Theft Auto 3 and Grand Theft Auto: Vice City. Screw what the stupid parents think. They haven't even PLAYED the game. You don't go around killing people for the heck of it (well, you can) but its vastness and its wide open gameplay separates it from the rest... not many games can equate to the quality and freedom that GTA now provides (even Shenmue can't compare.)

1.) Jet Set Radio/Jet Grind Radio/Jet Set Radio Future. You know all that cel-shading we've been seeing recently. THIS series is what started it. Plus, catchy gameplay and the tunes were awesome. Have some downloaded to my PC! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

hollowtip
Dec 26, 2003, 03:48 AM
1.) Jet Set Radio/Jet Grind Radio/Jet Set Radio Future. You know all that cel-shading we've been seeing recently. THIS series is what started it. Plus, catchy gameplay and the tunes were awesome. Have some downloaded to my PC!

I don't see why people like this series. It's like a watered down Tony Hawk with it's auto tricking system and gimicky concept. They also Noobified the tagging element to make it easier (no analog stick motions, just face a wall and push the "tag" button). I seriously don't see why this game gets so much hype.

Kent
Dec 26, 2003, 04:10 AM
On 2003-12-26 00:48, hollowtip wrote:
I don't see why people like this series. It's like a watered down Tony Hawk with it's auto tricking system and gimicky concept. They also Noobified the tagging element to make it easier (no analog stick motions, just face a wall and push the "tag" button). I seriously don't see why this game gets so much hype.

It gets this hype from people who can actually appreciate how stylish and unique the game is. Comparing it to a Tony Hawk game is just stupid, just like comparing any games of different genres is. There is no auto-tricking system in this game, doing tricks is all about timing (don't know where this even came from, anybody who has played the games would know that it isn't automatic). Also, tagging was changed from what it was in the Dreamcast game because SmileBit wanted the game to have a faster overall feel to it (which, to me, made the game a lot more fun to play - and it isn't exactly easy to improve on a game already this good).

Now, onto my list:

1.) Jet Set Radio Future

2.) Kingdom Hearts

3.) Final Fantasy X-2

4.) Panzer Dragoon Orta

5.) Deus Ex: Invisible War

Inu_Ranma
Dec 26, 2003, 01:14 PM
Here are mine, in no order whatsoever.

1: Deus Ex: Invisible War. (I was in love with the first of the series, and the second improved upon it in every concievable way.)

2: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. (I wish I could play this game more. It's far more addictive than any drug that I know of).

3: Super Smash Brothers Melee. (It's still my favorite tournament-fighting style game ever. It just goes way beyond the classic 'Ryu-no-ken' moves and makes the game pure fun which, in my opinion, every game should be. No tedium here.)

4: Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem. (This is not only one of the best games of this system generation to me, I would also rate it as one of the best games I've ever played. Anybody else who's played it knows what I mean. Wow.

5: The Castlevania series for GBA. (Do these even count? Wow, though. This much detail should go into every game.)

5b, in case 5 doesn't count: Max Payne. {Damn. This game was/is excellent. 3D Realms has been making great games for nearly a decade now, and with games like Max Payne, I can easily forgive Duke Nukem 4Never. It just had me glued to my seat until I finished it.

anwserman
Dec 26, 2003, 01:24 PM
It gets this hype from people who can actually appreciate how stylish and unique the game is. Comparing it to a Tony Hawk game is just stupid, just like comparing any games of different genres is. There is no auto-tricking system in this game, doing tricks is all about timing (don't know where this even came from, anybody who has played the games would know that it isn't automatic). Also, tagging was changed from what it was in the Dreamcast game because SmileBit wanted the game to have a faster overall feel to it (which, to me, made the game a lot more fun to play - and it isn't exactly easy to improve on a game already this good).

Don't forget how hard the levels are compared to DC... yeah the tagging system might be easier but actually getting to the tags is a totally different story.... a whole different story indeed.

metermore
Dec 26, 2003, 02:20 PM
am i the only one who ever played timesplitters??? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

noob-of-fury
Dec 26, 2003, 03:10 PM
5)Ikaruga
4) FFXI
3) Beyond Good & Evil
2) Max Payne 2
1) Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Hey it was rereleased so it counts.

Those are my pics.

Dangerous55
Dec 26, 2003, 03:20 PM
On 2003-12-25 23:33, shinto_kuji wrote:
hence why i said "this is all opinion" ._.

Ah, maybe I should start reading the posts...

People are still going to argue over game though.

ERS
Dec 26, 2003, 03:27 PM
My opinions-

V. GTA3/ Vice City
IV. Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
III. FFX/X2
II. Phantasy Star Online (Of course)
I. FFXI.. When it comes out for PS2 I'm sure it'll be at the top of a lot of people's lists.

Aunt_Betty
Dec 26, 2003, 04:03 PM
5.) Mario Kart:Double Dash!! Best game if you need to realease anger.

4.)Warcraft III:The Frozen Throne

3.)Sword of Mana Very similar to PSO but hard to find weapons.

2.) Toontown Online I need to get that running again....

1.)Soul Calibur 2 OMG ULTIMATE STUFF!

shifter
Dec 26, 2003, 04:34 PM
5. Final Fantasy 7
4. Mechwarrior 4
3. Command and Conquer Red Alert
2. Sonic 3
1. Super Mario Bros 3

if u played any of these when they first came out, ud understand why these r great.

Inu_Ranma
Dec 26, 2003, 04:54 PM
Shifter, the post was concerning the best 5 games of this console generation...

BogusKun
Dec 26, 2003, 05:12 PM
5. Postal 2
4. Kobe Bryant's NBA Courtside
3. OJ Simpson's Heisman Hit & Run
2. Michael Jackson's Moonwalker
1. Final Fantasy X+1 (waha X-2 Sucked)

Honorable Mentioned. PSO e1&2.

All generations are alive again!

Omni-SqwirL
Dec 26, 2003, 08:22 PM
5) Silent Hill 2: Restless Dreams - the most freaky game I have ever played. Not to mention I am scared to play it again *shivers*

4) Phantasy Star Online: Episode I & II - C'mon, it's a given...

3) Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - I went from Anti Lucas to Jedi Consular in 3 days...

2) Dynasty Warrios 4 - Just plain awesome. I'm still playing it

1) Halo - I always thought this game was overrated until I actually played it. Mutliplayer = the ultimate replay value

hollowtip
Dec 26, 2003, 09:48 PM

I could really care less how "stylish" any game is, if it doesn't have deep gameplay mechanics I'll write it off every time. Oh I'm sorry the tricking system isn't automatic, my mistake, you press one button to jump, and based on the elevation you get off of a specific hop, the game will calculate the trick for you. And please don't act like Tony Hawk is so different because it's considered to be an extreme sports title, both share many different gameplay similarities, (completing many objectives under time limits on skating apparatuses) just because the series appeals to a different crowd doesn't mean it's drastically different. Reviewers and many critics do this all the time, I don't see why so many people have adopted this belief. When a game shares specific gameplay tactics or methods, constructing a comparison between the two titles isn't such a bad idea. Planetside and Unreal II Extended Multiplayer Addon are VERY similar, but are in different genres, so that means we can't compare a lot of the gameplay mechanics?

And yes I have played both Jet Grind Radio for dreamcast, and Jet Set Radio Future.

I never said it was a bad game, just overhyped, and I think I have legitimate reasoning thinking this.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hollowtip on 2003-12-26 18:49 ]</font>

Rep0
Dec 26, 2003, 10:14 PM
On 2003-12-26 14:12, BogusKun wrote:
5. Postal 2

Just no.

shinto_kuji
Dec 26, 2003, 10:24 PM
-already sees it getting out of control- behold my awesome mental abilitiesO.o remember- this is all opinion-based. hell, if one person simply adores Superman 64, let it be. everyone has different tastes. just a reminder^-^

noob-of-fury
Dec 27, 2003, 12:08 AM
On 2003-12-26 19:14, Rep0 wrote:

On 2003-12-26 14:12, BogusKun wrote:
5. Postal 2

Just no.

Just yes.