PDA

View Full Version : Why don't more people Roleplay on PSO?

AUTO_
Dec 27, 2003, 04:41 PM
I've never been one to roleplay in online games, but I've played many-a online games with roleplaying finatics (EQ anyone?).

So why do you think that nobody on PSO roleplays?

I haven't met a single Roleplayer on all of PSO since I first got the game on DC...and I just wondered why that is today.

Is it the story? The environment? The audience?

I couldn't figure out why.

Corey
Dec 27, 2003, 05:17 PM
Believe it or not,sometimes I do on PSO.Usually with my lower chars...since I have no higher level ults anymore with corruption.But when I do,I probably will role play in ult sometimes online.http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif
The reason most dont is because the story is,some what hard to get.You gotta piece it together.Like Red Ring Rico having Heathcliff as her Uncle/Grandfather.And The Goverment being at fault.<This is the one that you have to do in DC,since EP2 wasnt around

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Corey on 2003-12-27 14:19 ]</font>

polishedweasel
Dec 27, 2003, 05:21 PM
Because we're not total losers. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

BullKathos
Dec 27, 2003, 05:50 PM
i think there isnt much roleplaying because on eq there is a set environment.. you can go anywhere ut never sitting in a lobby or joing a game. Since this world is always open there is more to roleplay with. If you were sitting the middle of the forest and started typing "Drawing His favorite sword, Sange, Bullkathose makes a mighty slash cutting the defensless booma in one hit!" you would prolly be getting mauled to death by about 8 of them. Really it couldnt happen in pso

Gnarled_rose
Dec 27, 2003, 06:24 PM
That's most likely it. No one can afford to hold still long enough to type a full sentence. Besides, isn't the entire game role-play?

Dhylec
Dec 27, 2003, 09:13 PM
i do role-play a bit, but some on pso don't care about role-playing
others question my identity & gender when i role-play as my female chars..
but they wouldn't notice it when i was role-playing w/my male chars
so in the end, i just don't http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_mad.gif

Maverynthia
Dec 27, 2003, 09:25 PM
I'll roleplay if someone else is...but what's the point of roleplaying if the other people are talking like this.
"lol"
"lol"
"heh"
"u got rare"
"i dupe"
"That's not very moral, cheating the shopkeepers like that."
"lol"
"lol"
"u n00b"
"ya n0ob"
"lol"
"lol stfu"
"lol"
"....Your acting like immature brats. I'm sure they probably would not have passed you in your Hunter's training."
"stfu n00b"
"ya lol stfu"
(insert offensive symbolchat here)

Yeah...that's why I don't roleplay..tis no point to it unless someone else is roleplaying...

Amiadon
Dec 28, 2003, 10:18 AM
Agreed. I tried Roleplaying, and got laughed at. So, No more for me http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_nono.gif

Butoden
Dec 28, 2003, 10:47 AM
It's not the point of the game, try that new Final Fantasy Online game if you want RP, in PSO it's all about Hacking and Slashing and a little side-story! You can play and ignore the story... Roleplaying should be possible but only with people you know and who want to RP and not laugh at you.

AUTO_
Dec 28, 2003, 04:40 PM
There used to be a clan that roleplayed on PSO...it was actually kind of fun/interesting listening to them talk in the lobby.

I lied. I have seen roleplayers on PSO--just not very many.

Amiadon
Dec 28, 2003, 06:12 PM
Oh sorry, i should have said it better. No more RPing for me, but i still love PSO. Sorry for making you needlessly post http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

VulpesMundi
Dec 28, 2003, 06:28 PM
The majority of my characters are based on my role playing characters. On a good day I play the character the way s/he is supposed to act. Sometimes I'm Matthiu, the drunken Australian womanizer with a knack for mechanical things. Sometimes I'm Aleffe, honor-bound protector of comrades at arms who can either stand on the front line with weapons bared or in the back with spells at thy ready. Sometimes I'm the overly-compassionate StarrLight, who is always ready to heal wounds of others and will fight with weapons or spells as needed. Sometimes I'm the kawaii android Kyriel, the little girl with the BIG GUNS! (Remember the anime rule: the smaller and cuter the girl, the more dangerous she is! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif) And sometimes I'm simply myself, as nobody else is really into it or I'm not in the mood. And so on. It varies constantly.

Others should try it, too. Make up a personality for each of your characters and roll with it. See what happens. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VulpesMundi on 2003-12-28 15:32 ]</font>

Razor_Burn
Dec 28, 2003, 06:29 PM
I do, but I'm stuck offline. Makes the game slightly more interesting when you pretend your characters are cheating on each other. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Razor_Burn on 2003-12-28 15:31 ]</font>

Guile
Dec 28, 2003, 09:33 PM
I don't know, I think people don't roleplay because they can't find others to do it. I used to every once in a while on DC but have'nt much anymore. I was even in a guild that did it a lot.

Corey
Dec 28, 2003, 10:24 PM
On 2003-12-27 14:21, polishedweasel wrote:
Because we're not total losers. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

....just because some people role play does not make them total losers.That's like being a racist towards Role players. >:/

Nai_Calus
Dec 28, 2003, 10:48 PM
I RP a bit with some of my characters, mostly the ones in my fanfic. Zero's the stuck-up, cold jerk who hates Newmans, ERI's the twitchy, nervous inexperienced young girl just recently out on her own, stuff like that. Nothing heavy, though, and it mostly just affects their shortcuts, though sometimes I do act the part with my friends, heh.

Vicious128
Dec 28, 2003, 11:26 PM
I just think acting as yourself is considered role-playing. Am I right? Cause I'm always myself when I play online and people like me that way.

kevlar_pso
Dec 29, 2003, 04:05 AM
I've played w/ppl who have role played in a game. Like the guy who was this Muslim cleric, he kept goin on on how we were gonna rid Ragol of the evil within and how glorious it was to be. lol He was fun to play with. But yea considerin "noob" is every immature morons fav word to throw around, unless u r w/other role players, you'll probably get clowned for that.

ABDUR101
Dec 29, 2003, 04:55 AM
Sadly, most people don't grasp the concept of role playing, which kills it immediately.

KaFKa
Dec 29, 2003, 05:53 AM
On 2003-12-29 01:55, ABDUR101 wrote:
Sadly, most people don't grasp the concept of role playing, which kills it immediately.

sad, but true...

i do like (insert name here) does. my different characters have their 'real world' player personalities, but nothing that is really serious, just afeting the small chat and nothing more. i roleplay in other things too much anyways... (11 characters not counting my FanFic chars...)

AUTO_
Dec 30, 2003, 12:52 AM

Actually...now that I think about it, damn near everyone on PSO role-plays.

They all pretend to be 1337 hackers. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Floatycoat
Dec 30, 2003, 03:03 AM
Oh Indeed

soulja2244
Dec 30, 2003, 09:59 PM

Grasp the concept? No, I think people just don't care about doin stupid s**t like that.

ERS
Dec 30, 2003, 10:56 PM
On 2003-12-30 18:59, soulja2244 wrote:

Grasp the concept? No, I think people just don't care about doin stupid s**t like that.

See? You just proved his point.

badbitz
Dec 30, 2003, 11:24 PM
arent you alredy roleplaying in pso?
its not set in the past..so its easier
this is how we act now, right?
and it wouldnt be any different in the future
Right?
its not like,
"Ive been traveling the Waste for an hour now, but my trusty steed is all i need to get through!"
its more like,
"Aw what the hel-, this dam- booma is not friggen dieing!"
"that's cause ur weak"
"shut the filch up you blow hole"

like that

KaFKa
Dec 30, 2003, 11:35 PM
On 2003-12-30 20:24, badbitz wrote:
arent you alredy roleplaying in pso?
its not set in the past..so its easier
this is how we act now, right?
and it wouldnt be any different in the future
Right?
its not like,
"Ive been traveling the Waste for an hour now, but my trusty steed is all i need to get through!"
its more like,
"Aw what the hel-, this dam- booma is not friggen dieing!"
"that's cause ur weak"
"shut the filch up you blow hole"

like that

*look of shame*

ERS
Dec 31, 2003, 01:05 AM
*Another look of shame*

Guile
Dec 31, 2003, 07:20 AM
On 2003-12-30 22:05, ERS wrote:
*Another look of shame*

Hahah agreed, RPing is a total different thing than just walking around acting as yourself.

dylcool
Dec 31, 2003, 12:42 PM
I'm pretty sure there is less roleplaying in PSO than in games like Everquest because a lot (most?) of PSO players are console gamers(like me) who don't know the first thing about games like AD&D where you do have to roleplay.

Also, its very difficult to actually make full sentences if you have no keyboard.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dylcool on 2003-12-31 09:43 ]</font>

badbitz
Dec 31, 2003, 12:45 PM
you have no kb HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
ummm
i play DnD its fun but after you realize you are just sitting there with a pen and paper it gets kinda boring.
seriously,hours fly by so fast while you are playing..!

kingmurp
Dec 31, 2003, 07:35 PM
I have different character catch phrases, and occasionally I spout out lines from 8bit theatre. It's all in good fun though. I've never met a Role player on this game, but I know I'd probably join in.

heyf00L
Jan 1, 2004, 12:25 AM
My HUney says "Tee hee" to laugh. That's all the roleplaying you'll get out of me.

DarK-SuN
Jan 2, 2004, 09:04 PM
*slaps his forehead*

Fascinating, it seems there's loads of people who entirely miss the concept of RPing and how fun it can be if they know what they are doing.

*wanders off shaking his head in disbelief...*

Maverynthia
Jan 2, 2004, 11:04 PM
Roleplaying is fun...pity there are so many people who only know how to hack/slash, level up....and grab the red boxes before you...

TerraStriker
Jan 2, 2004, 11:29 PM
I would like to try RPing on PSO but no one to rp ith..Would someone like to try ith me?

badbitz
Jan 2, 2004, 11:35 PM
if you wanna RP in a video game without a monthly fee go play NeverWinter Nights.
Now THATS some major roleplaying

War_Child
Jan 4, 2004, 11:04 PM
I will RP if others want to as well. If not, then meh

A2K
Jan 6, 2004, 06:13 AM
Heh, I remember doing a little bit of that on the IGN forum a long, long time ago. Pretty funny. The base concept was, basically, you turn on PSO one day and get totally sucked into the game, like, you're your character now, and have to LIVE on Pioneer 2 and crap. It didn't get very far, but it had its moments.

polishedweasel
Jan 6, 2004, 11:06 AM
I actually had a HUcast that Rped as a chivalrous knight. Every time I was getting attacked he'd say something like "Back you fiend!" "I must protect m'lady!" You know stuff like that. I got a kick out of it. Some funny stuff.

Porphyria
Jan 6, 2004, 02:50 PM
Has anyone ever run into theat freak SERENA who hangs around the red lobbies (7 I think) she's usually in the European ships and she role plays. She is the self-proclaimed queen of the Moonkingdom and recruits female characters to be her daughters. She makes them call her "Momma" and is by far the biggest sicko I've met to date on PSO.