PDA

View Full Version : If duping wasn't meant to be, why was it left in the GC and

Skuda
Dec 29, 2003, 05:45 PM
there is duping in the dreamcast versions if I am not mistaken. You'd think that Sonic team would have eventually realized the glitch. So why didn't they change it for teh GCN and X-Box versions. maybe they got lazy. OR, maybe duping was intended to be in PSO. on the other hand, they might not have known about the glitch untill PSO was released on GCN and X-Box. If duping is still functional on PSO+, tehn I'm assuming it was meant to be.

Aurra
Dec 29, 2003, 06:24 PM
=|

Man, there will always be duping in every online RPG. It's a fact. I don't think there has ever been an online game that hasn't had cheating of any kind, and there probably never will be. It's not that they want it there, it's just that they can't get rid of it. No code is perfect and nothing is unhackable.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Aurra on 2003-12-29 15:24 ]</font>

JohanCC
Dec 29, 2003, 06:58 PM
ST=stupid and lazy
Isn't that easy enough to remember?

drizzle
Dec 29, 2003, 08:25 PM
It's not a bug, it's a feature! Really!

muff
Dec 29, 2003, 09:35 PM
Maybe ST didn't intend for a little dork to sit and guess, off a rumour, how to dupe using screens and an NPC. Maybe they didn't realise that people would spend hours of their time a day guessing AR codes. Maybe ST didn't intend for a 3rd party software company to manufacture a devoce that let you backup saves on your computer.

Maybe... we shouldn't give a shit.

Skuda
Dec 29, 2003, 09:47 PM
I'm talking about the easy duping you can do by using teh girl (or guy in episode 2) in the lobby. You'd think ST would eitehr make it so she(or he) couldn't move, or wasn't there. It's not hard to fix.

muff
Dec 29, 2003, 09:49 PM
On 2003-12-29 18:47, Scott_Kuda wrote:
It's not hard to fix.

Yes it is. Without a hardrive that is.

Skuda
Dec 29, 2003, 10:03 PM
for Sonic team. All tehy had to do is make them stop walking or delete them. That's it. I know a bit of C++ programming and japanese. I should send them a letter...

Arislan
Dec 29, 2003, 11:18 PM
Online, yes, it could be fixed. But is it worth the time at this point? The dupes that are made are made, and have already done their damage.

If they want to stop duping, they'd have to recall all the copies to stop it from occuring offline as well. Even if it was stopped online, it could still be done offline. At this point, there is NO way to stop duping. 1.1 and Plus use the same character saves, so even if Plus was prevented from duping (dunno the trick, so I can't test it), you could always load that character that has the item you want to dupe on 1.1 and do the deed.

Skuda
Dec 29, 2003, 11:25 PM
They could have prevented it before the release of PSO on the GCN and X-Box versions. A nother thing, Pro Action Replay is not suppose to be produced for the gamecube anylonger due to Nintendo's loss of profits for Animal Crossing E-reader Cards. If the producers of action replay or any other cheat softwear make new copies for teh GCN, they can get their pants sued off.

OriginalLacan
Dec 30, 2003, 01:45 AM
they did stop the xbox shop dupe trick... they patched it. (as far as I know)

When it comes to preventing cheating, developers have budgets, deadlines, and frankly, more important things to worry about, like actual gamplay and whether the rappies fall through the floor or not when they drop.

Hackers on the other hand, have nothing but time, and 100,000 players have a much bigger chance of finding bugs than a roomful of testers.

There is an old saying in the programing world:

"The goal is not to make cheating impossible, just prohibitively expensive in terms of effort and time."

Unfortunately with technology in the state it is, many people have equal resources to the developers themselves, and that combined with the numerous cheat device makers, makes a truly legit game, impossible, no matter what steps are taken towards that goal.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: OriginalLacan on 2003-12-29 22:48 ]</font>

_Sinue_
Dec 30, 2003, 01:45 AM
You don't know what you're talking about. Noone even knew that dupe method existed until Ep II. Noone had to bother looking for game glitches in v.1 or v.2 because you had a GameShark or CodeBreaker right there waiting for you to plug codes into. The only two widely used glitches on the DC versions were the Resta glitch which allowed you to cast certain techs on your party (TP and PB trick) and the FSOD through GuildCard trick. The FSOD trick was patched while it was still on v.1.. and the Resta glitch was patched when Ep II came out.

Had Sega known you could dupe using the shop lady, you can be assured that it would have been fixed before launch as well. It wasn't until about 5 months after launch of Ep II that the Shop Lady dupe glitch was discovered/spread. Before that, people were doing some form of Memory card yank to dupe - which is why Sega implimented the DoubleSave, so that it would corrupt you if you tried to dupe.

On the DC, you had the Inf Items code. (Noone in their right mind actually used the dupe code) Even when I went back and showed the DC people how to do the ShopLady dupe glitch.. they didn't care. Why should they. The only thing any of them got out of it was being able to use the Super Stats code to equip 20 180% +255 Srank Spreads on their maxed out AND Super Stats character.

Even that didn't gain any popularity outside of like - two people. Those spreads on HUnters (who could use Spreads back then) already did so much damage that they killed everything in just about one shot with just one equipped. Adding multipe Spreads didn't make them any more effective.. and the damage was so massive that I don't even think the damage displayed correctly.

ILLI
Dec 30, 2003, 09:26 AM
The shop dupe was known on the DC version... I know because all my friends knew about it.. did we use it?? no.. there were much easier ways to dupe on dc... Now the multiequip we hadn't a clue.. that is something i learned about after all the people started playing with the shop duping..

_Sinue_
Dec 30, 2003, 12:09 PM
Then your friends kept it in a select little group, and it never got spread. Otherwise people would have been doing it on Ep I & II from day one rather than risk corruption by yanking their memory card.

BrokenHope
Dec 30, 2003, 06:53 PM
On 2003-12-29 22:45, _Sinue_ wrote:
Before that, people were doing some form of Memory card yank to dupe - which is why Sega implimented the DoubleSave, so that it would corrupt you if you tried to dupe.

Actually they got someone to lag them at team entry which stopped the team entry save from happening then just dropped their items and powered off, since no save happened there Gamecube never saved the fact they dropped their items. Sega added another save so that even if they stopped the first save the 2nd one would still happen.

AUTO_
Dec 30, 2003, 07:38 PM
On 2003-12-29 20:25, Scott_Kuda wrote:
A nother thing, Pro Action Replay is not suppose to be produced for the gamecube anylonger due to Nintendo's loss of profits for Animal Crossing E-reader Cards. If the producers of action replay or any other cheat softwear make new copies for teh GCN, they can get their pants sued off.

I heard about that to, but it doesn't seem to be changing anything.

heyf00L
Dec 31, 2003, 01:57 PM
Broken Hope, should you be telling people how to dupe? It's possible that the double save might be taken away one day.

BrokenHope
Dec 31, 2003, 05:53 PM
On 2003-12-31 10:57, heyf00L wrote:
Broken Hope, should you be telling people how to dupe? It's possible that the double save might be taken away one day.

Everyone who wants to know it already knows the shop dupe, why would they use the method I posted even if the double save was removed?

NodMan
Jan 1, 2004, 03:17 AM
Always cheating, lying, and in game items sold on E-Bay and that is the way it has been and will be!!

Kurosawa
Jan 1, 2004, 03:24 PM
ST made their first mistake when they made the game have client side saves. From there on, what they can do is very limited.

I'm pretty sure FF XI is cheat-free, but I don't find it interesting.

darthsaber9x9
Jan 1, 2004, 05:54 PM
On 2004-01-01 12:24, Kurosawa wrote:
ST made their first mistake when they made the game have client side saves. From there on, what they can do is very limited.

I'm pretty sure FF XI is cheat-free, but I don't find it interesting.

server side saving would limit the fanbase in my opinion. and for people like me, who have changed their connection type, that would be the end of the game. come on, ST wont have server side saving just to stop cheating....think who we are dealingw ith..ST

o and i believe the double save was removed ages ago...

Maverynthia
Jan 2, 2004, 11:53 PM
Actually, programmers leave bugs in game...it keeps them employed trying to find them and fix them... Look at most software..most editions are just bug fixes with a few added extras..that they make you pay for...
PSO+ for example..isn't it a glorified bug fix..with extras that they make you pay full price for...

Also on FFXI, cheating is still possible. I've played two games now with server side saving and they were hacked to death! True the chance to get caught is higher..however that's only if the SysOps care enough to go looking for hackers and looking into reports...
With Sega's track record...I doubt it...

BogusKun
Jan 3, 2004, 03:38 PM
I said this while I was buying PSO+...

It's worthless...

What ST should've done was RECOGNIZE...

Made downloadable quest likes the DV ver.
And added the unbanned items...

Easy.. yet ST seems to make it hard.

Kurosawa
Jan 3, 2004, 11:31 PM
So there actually is cheating on FF XI? My god, I didn't think the almighty Square would allow that to happen.

shinto_kuji
Jan 4, 2004, 11:32 AM
-sigh- games will always have glitches/bugs in them. its damn near impossible to find them all during the testing process (thats why there are updates). the reason they didn't fix the shop dupe bug is because they didn't know it existed. its not like ST/sega goes around and actually plays the game real hardcore or anything. they have to get feedback from players and they didn't about the shop dupe glitch because it wasn't as well known back on dc. it became pretty much common knowledge once gc hit, so they fixed it online. can't ask for much more (except downloadable patches...>.<)