PDA

View Full Version : broken myths and new tactics. stop stereotyping and respect

ATHANASEUS
Dec 30, 2003, 11:35 PM
alright. i have had enough. all i ever hear is "well, forces give support, rangers steal exp. and hunters are the real players." i am here to dispel these theories. the following message is my opinion and mine only, so don't go writing in rage, this is what I think. i have always been a huge believer in tactics, not brute strength. trade, set up formations, units, matching weapons, it works. these myths i am going to destroy forEVER. if people listen. . .
Myth #1
"well, forces are either helping out the hunters with support, or being melee, they have to be one or the other." WRONG: i have found that a highly successful way to play as a force is to first get out a wand and support, next soften up the enemies with techs, next take out the old battle cane and go physical. saves tp and actually gets exp and a share of the bounty.
Myth #2
"Rangers are exp hogs." POSSIBLY: i recommend playing with the rIGHT rangers. tell them to use shots only when asked. (ie: when surrounded by enemies and in boss arenas)
Myth #3
"the tsumikiri j-sword is the best weapon (drools melodramtically)!! NOT REALLY: i vote that you hang the t-j-swaord and get yourself a nice fat orotiagito. better atp.
Myth #4
All of these so called ultimate ranger weapons and armours are really good. XNAY: hang the recommended weapons, pick yourself up a guld milla, an nug-2000, a spread needle, heaven punisher, and rifle of choice. as for armour, and electro frame/aura field and standstill shield would do nicely. . .
Myth #5 (which really isn't a myth but a statement)
"The BkB and Double cannon are on my wish list" well, that's fine for offline (how are you going to get them offline anyway???) but online, go for some originality . . .
Myth #6
this last myth is whatever you knew about tactics because it's WRONG: the best team is made up of either:

TEAM CLASSIC
Force (support&techinique)
RAcast/RAmar (shot, shot, shot)
HUcast/Humar/HUcaseal (partisan, sword)
HUnewearl/HUmar (twin sword)

or

TEAM WAVE1
FOmar (support, some techs)
HUmar x2 (flame garments, some techs, swords)
FOnewm/FOnewearl (attack techs)

TEAM WAVE2
Ranger x2 (best guns in action)
HUmar x2 (flame garments, techs, swords)

team classic's strategy is to have the HU with the partisan/sword attract enemies and try to just make the best, HU w/ twin sword just whales on the enemies attacking the first HU, force gives support and techs from mid-range, and RA just shoots, holding enemies in their original positions.

team wave1s strategy is to have the fomar support, annd throw in a couple techs, and have the fonewm/newearl throw in a LOT of techs, and have the HUmars just run into the enemies and kill them with their flame garments.

team wave2 works like team wave1 except the rangers attack with their best guns and cause confusion in the enemies.

THAT's ALL OF MY OPINIONs, IF YOU LIKE THEM, POST, IF NOT, POST YOURS.

badbitz
Dec 30, 2003, 11:39 PM
wth im way too lazy to read all that!
from the length i thought it was a fanfic or a rant
lol

KaFKa
Dec 30, 2003, 11:46 PM
...thats a rant...

shinto_kuji
Dec 30, 2003, 11:53 PM
yes it is indeed a rant. someone move it. alot of it is actually bad strategy, and this stuff has been said before.

EvilNixon666
Dec 30, 2003, 11:54 PM
pick yourself up a guld milla

Uh... easier said than done. That's a great weapon, but it's hard as hell to obtain both guns.

KaFKa
Dec 30, 2003, 11:54 PM
On 2003-12-30 20:53, shinto_kuji wrote:
yes it is indeed a rant. someone move it. alot of it is actually bad strategy, and this stuff has been said before.

my thoughts exactly, shinto

shinto_kuji
Dec 31, 2003, 12:00 AM

badbitz
Dec 31, 2003, 12:04 AM
well the guy is new...2 posts
but yes
Move

Saiffy
Dec 31, 2003, 12:34 AM
hes been here longer then you http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif, i just play the damn game, its an easy game, no need for strategy. All you need is 4 actual players, there's your strategy

VulpesMundi
Dec 31, 2003, 01:59 AM
My favorite part is when he said...
"i have always been a huge believer in tactics, not brute strength."
And then...
"the tsumikiri j-sword is the best weapon (drools melodramtically)!! NOT REALLY: i vote that you hang the t-j-swaord and get yourself a nice fat orotiagito. better atp."

Nice contradiction, there. Seriously, you're doing exactly the opposite of what you're saying. If you're a believer in tactics, and not brute strength, you'd select the J-Sword for its ability to hit multiple targets. And no offense, but your team layouts aren't anything that everyone who plays PSO hasn't done before. But instead of everyone trying to preach to everyone else about how they should play the game, why don't we just simply play the game and enjoy ourselves? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Dhylec
Dec 31, 2003, 02:19 AM
ok, i'm seeing where this is heading, so i'll guide it there http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

anwserman
Dec 31, 2003, 03:20 AM
Here is the sole strategy that always seems to work.

STAY TOGETHER AS A TEAM, unless previously discussed beforehand (such as two groups doing CCA, one seaside and one mountain, etc.). Its the failproof tactic that always works.

You die less.
More stregnth in numbers.
Ability to help someone/someone help you.

It works out perfectly.

_Sinue_
Dec 31, 2003, 11:42 AM
I always thought a good team, personally, was something like this:

HUcast: Twin Saber type weapon.
HUmar: Sword type weapon.
RAcaseal: Rifle type weapon.
FOnewearl: Wand type weapon.

Basically, FO casts the normal support spells (S/D, J/Z) on the party. RAcaseal is first in, and disarms any traps in the immedeate vecinity. She will also attract the monsters and "Herd" them nicely for the incomming HUmar and his sword/partisan. The HUcast would make a beeline for any non-herd monsters like Gran Sorcerers, Chaos Bringers, Pan-Arms, ect. The RAcaseal at this point should be picking off the lesser and more annoying enemies like Mothvants, Claws, Slimes, ect. She should also be laying down traps where needed. The FOnewearl, meanwhile should be at a central point between the team members and out of danger - casting support techs and simple techs to help soften up the monsters.

Granted, the XP being distrubuted to everyone is pretty badly squewed in favor of the HUmar and FOnewearl - but I guess the RAcaseal and HUcast have to just bend over and take one for the team. Having a good formation where everyone gets massive Xp would be quite a bit different.

Or you could jus go for the usual standby of letting the 300% BKB/TJ HUmar run solo into a group of enemies and use him as a meat sheild while you deal out damage from safety. Chances are he'll have softened the room up enough before he dies that the rest of the team can take them out effortlessly. Revive afterward.

Nai_Calus
Dec 31, 2003, 02:25 PM
This is so utterly retardedly stupid it's not even funny. No, seriously, it is.

My team of choice:

HUmar - Variety of weapons, primarily a Partisan of some sort, with a Handgun-type for safely taking things down at a range, and a Double Saber-type for strong single enemies. MST isn't stellar, but he's got good ATP and good ATA and he can heal himself a bit if he needs to(He shouldn't need to, but it happens. Can also Jellen/Zalure if the FO is slow in getting to it or for some reason isn't at all.
HUcaseal - Disarms traps, uses them, Partisan or a sword, Handgun, mechs. Double Saber is good, too. She has the mechs because she has better ATA.
RAmarl - Spread Needle, Yas9kM, Frozen Shooter. Keeps things back with the Needle, can handle stronger enemies at a large distance with the Yas, freezes the true nasties with the FS. Dark Bringers are so much less annoying as icecubes. She can also, if necessary, serve as a secondary Force(Or even a primary Force if there isn't one for some reason).
FOmarl - Supports the team. Pick a random weapon she'll cast at a decent rate with, and then S/D/J/Z/R/A till you puke.

This is of course for normal gameplay. If you're doing something like East Tower, skip the HUs and get more RAs or another FO or something. HUs have a bad tendancy to do stupid things like actually want exp, and thus run right into that lovely group of Del Lillies on floor 8, or try to get close to Mericarols. This is usually the point at which my FOmar has to(Eventually) scrape them off the floor.

Yeah, it's assinine to expect the FO to do nothing but support and thus get shit exp for everything. I do it anyway, with my own FO. Ooh, look, I can spam Rafoie for 181 damage and cancel out the HUs' 300+ damage hits so we can fight it even longer! Wow! Or I can J/Z before anyone gets to it and then hang around and Resta and Anti as needed while everyone does their jobs, and it goes faster. Hmm.(I also hate FOs that Gifoie slimes and thus ensure nobody else gets any exp from them.)

But that's just my opinion, who cares. Ignore me, I'm in a really shitty mood right now.

ATHANASEUS
Jan 1, 2004, 02:30 PM
Sorry, this post should be ignored. My friend wrote it late at night, and he has rathe umm, bold opinions for a level 17 force. . . please just ignore this and don't respond. Maybe this thread can be deleted. . .

darthsaber9x9
Jan 2, 2004, 11:51 AM
On 2004-01-01 11:30, ATHANASEUS wrote:
Sorry, this post should be ignored. My friend wrote it late at night, and he has rathe umm, bold opinions for a level 17 force. . . please just ignore this and don't respond. Maybe this thread can be deleted. . .

sorry, far too many people play the "it was my friend!" card...

Mixfortune
Jan 8, 2004, 08:33 PM
I recognize your opinion on these matters, and now I must state my own, as allowed by your (or your friend's, doesn't matter either way to me) post.

On 2003-12-30 20:35, ATHANASEUS wrote:
alright. i have had enough. all i ever hear is "well, forces give support, rangers steal exp. and hunters are the real players."

Everyone is a real player.

i am here to dispel these theories. the following message is my opinion and mine only, so don't go writing in rage, this is what I think.

Unfortunately, everyone else's opinion seems to be all "myths" that need to be dispelled, seeing as how you are personally here and all.

i have always been a huge believer in tactics, not brute strength. trade, set up formations, units, matching weapons, it works. these myths i am going to destroy forEVER. if people listen. . .

Trade, matching weapons... that is all based upon the situation, so yes you plan. Unfortunately, I don't think enough people will see these destroyed myths and know that they aren't real anymore :|

Myth #1
"well, forces are either helping out the hunters with support, or being melee, they have to be one or the other." WRONG: i have found that a highly successful way to play as a force is to first get out a wand and support, next soften up the enemies with techs, next take out the old battle cane and go physical. saves tp and actually gets exp and a share of the bounty.

Wouldn't most enemies die to a skilled team before that was finished? Also, unless your force is built to take melee, you don't melee. It will only get you killed unless, as I said, you are built for melee or partial melee. Perhaps instead of taking out the "old battle cane" and going physical, try to refill TP with a gun instead?

Myth #2
"Rangers are exp hogs." POSSIBLY: i recommend playing with the rIGHT rangers. tell them to use shots only when asked. (ie: when surrounded by enemies and in boss arenas)

"Tell them to use shots only when asked."
You can't "hog" much experience that way, especially when others get more for killing them. If the Force can't experience off of Rangers using shots, they need help. If Hunters need to experience off of Rangers using shots, they need to stop running around with that BKB or Tsumikiri and instead take a pot shot if they are so concerned about experience, especially when so many teams just play TTF anyways.

Myth #3
"the tsumikiri j-sword is the best weapon (drools melodramtically)!! NOT REALLY: i vote that you hang the t-j-swaord and get yourself a nice fat orotiagito. better atp.

Orotiagito lacks power and strategic use, due to low ATA on the majority of the Hunters. As mentioned earlier, Tsumikiri is much more strategic than an Orotiagito, but there are better choices. Personally, I'd recommend multiple weapons for various situations. Of course that's risky online, but is quite nice offline, especially in EPII, where there are different enemy types.

Myth #4
All of these so called ultimate ranger weapons and armours are really good. XNAY: hang the recommended weapons, pick yourself up a guld milla, an nug-2000, a spread needle, heaven punisher, and rifle of choice. as for armour, and electro frame/aura field and standstill shield would do nicely. . .

If you recommend Guld Milla, Nug-2000, Spread Needle, and Heaven Punisher as weapons, just what kind of "Ultimate Ranger Weapons" are you thinking of? Those ARE part of the Ultimate Ranger Weapons!
Yeah, I better get rid of those ultimate armors and shield and get me an Aura Field and Standstill instead. What the...? Yes they are easy to get, but those are pretty close to as "ultimate" as you can get.

Myth #5 (which really isn't a myth but a statement)
"The BkB and Double cannon are on my wish list" well, that's fine for offline (how are you going to get them offline anyway???) but online, go for some originality . . .

First of all, that's if you are Hunter... and you recommended Heaven Punisher, Nug-2000, and Guld Milla for Rangers? You can get Double Cannon offline, but not BKB (you need Blue-Black Stone).

Myth #6
this last myth is whatever you knew about tactics because it's WRONG

Haha. Different people. Different playing styles.
No one can say what style is THE best.
It's based on the people you play with and the situations that arise.
Strategy is adaptation. Not predetermined.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mixfortune on 2004-01-08 17:34 ]</font>