PDA

View Full Version : Which console is most recommended

Cap_Canuk
Jan 3, 2004, 10:21 PM
I've been playing PSO ver 2 on my Dreamcast (in Canada, I bought the Dreamcast second hand) and have totally fallen in love with this game.
I've only been able to play offline though, since I only bought the game last month and the DC servers are now offline.
I'd really like to continue playing (I know I'll have to start over with a new character and all), but don't know which console to buy to play online.
I was told today, by a relatively reputable source, that the Gamecube would in all likelyhood be discontinued sometime next year (the console, not the PSO for GC), supposedly, Nintendo is getting out of the console business (like Sega did with the Dreamcast).

So which console should I buy to play PSO?
XBox?
or go ahead and get a GC?
or wait for the PC version?
(though my computer is probably too slow for the upcoming PC version)
Will PSO ever come out for PS2?

Thanks a million guys (and galls) for any info.
BTW, I've been playing for around 60 hours now, a human ranger, level 27 now, with a level 180 Kaitabha mag, and my favourite weapon is a +28 Draw Rifle... and I'm too chicken to attack De Rol Le (or whatever the boss of the caves name is).

Lone_HUmar
Jan 3, 2004, 10:28 PM
I say just get GC, I have it....Great Controls...okay Graphics...And not much maintence to be used...this is just my opinion:)

Myopathy
Jan 3, 2004, 10:30 PM
On 2004-01-03 19:21, Cap_Canuk wrote:
I've been playing PSO ver 2 on my Dreamcast (in Canada, I bought the Dreamcast second hand) and have totally fallen in love with this game.
I've only been able to play offline though, since I only bought the game last month and the DC servers are now offline.
I'd really like to continue playing (I know I'll have to start over with a new character and all), but don't know which console to buy to play online.
I was told today, by a relatively reputable source, that the Gamecube would in all likelyhood be discontinued sometime next year (the console, not the PSO for GC), supposedly, Nintendo is getting out of the console business (like Sega did with the Dreamcast).

XBox?

BTW, I've been playing for around 60 hours now, a human ranger, level 27 now, with a level 180 Kaitabha mag, and my favourite weapon is a +28 Draw Rifle... and I'm too chicken to attack De Rol Le (or whatever the boss of the caves name is).

Uh...I read Nintendo is already starting on their next console, due out in 2005, so I'm not too sure about that discontinued thing. (BTW, I read PS3 is suppose to be out 2006). Also seeing as how games like RE4 aren't gonna be out until late 2004, I don't see it making any sense releasing a Gamecube-exclusive game if it's going to be discontinued.

To answer your question, I would have to say go with the Gamecube. The new PSO+ is about to come out and PSO Episode 3 is coming out exclusively for Gamecube, so you wouldn't be able to play that with any other console. Many people are also suggesting you wait until PSO+ comes out to buy the game(seeing as how it is newer). That should be out sometime in early Spring.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ezellaur on 2004-01-03 19:32 ]</font>

lain2k3
Jan 3, 2004, 10:46 PM
On 2004-01-03 19:30, Ezellaur wrote:

XBox?

Uh...I read Nintendo is already starting on their next console, due out in 2005, so I'm not too sure about that discontinued thing. (BTW, I read PS3 is suppose to be out 2006). Also seeing as how games like RE4 aren't gonna be out until late 2004, I don't see it making any sense releasing a Gamecube-exclusive game if it's going to be discontinued.

To answer your question, I would have to say go with the Gamecube. The new PSO+ is about to come out and PSO Episode 3 is coming out exclusively for Gamecube, so you wouldn't be able to play that with any other console. Many people are also suggesting you wait until PSO+ comes out to buy the game(seeing as how it is newer). That should be out sometime in early Spring.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ezellaur on 2004-01-03 19:32 ]</font>

Yeah, definetely GC. In addition to this, the GC has a much better (more ergonomic) controller. The GC also has many more quests and features available online, and it looks to stay that way for a while.

Flowen_Sword
Jan 3, 2004, 11:05 PM
GC!

JohanCC
Jan 3, 2004, 11:08 PM

Whoever told you that was BS'ing you.

Dhylec
Jan 3, 2004, 11:16 PM
on pso gameplay, xb & gc are the same, but..
on contents, gcpso has more & faster quests coming out than xbox
plus eu, jp & us ships are linked together.. so u have more places to go & more ppl to meet

however, u don't have to take my words for it http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif
let others tell you http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

DarK-SuN
Jan 3, 2004, 11:28 PM
It's like this, I have both versions so you'll probably get a more consistent opinion from me than from others.

I started with PSOX.

The voice chat is fabulous I have to say, graphics are quite good and the water (the texture of the water, not the ripple effects) are better in the Xbox version, shadows have a better resolution yet they are not light source dependent.
Pixel shaders are, although, completly missing in PSOX; what the "pixel shaders" do is a new effect introduced with PSOGC, the "heat emission shimmer" like you see when you try to look through a flame in real life, that sort of "aquatic" shimmer for those who don't know.

The Xbox controler actually fits PSO quite well, it has more button functions and setups than the GC version, which is a plus; for those wondering, you can use the Xbox right thumbstick (equivalent to GC's C Stick) for added shortcuts, although this is to compensate for the fact you can't use the F keys as shortcuts in the Xbox keyboard.

The Xbox version obviously doesn't need a keyboard, but you can use one with a USB adapter (which you can get from microsoft or by doing it yourself), however using a keyboard in PSOX is quite redundant since the GC "animation" shortcuts don't work in PSOX; it's used exclusively for typing and nothing more.

Gamewise, it's quite good, it's PSO of course!
However it doesn't feel "PSO", not sure how to explain it but it doesn't feel like PSO felt in the DC version (and this is coming from someone who plays PSO since PSOv1 JP) for some reason.

For this same reason of PSOX not feeling "PSO" I decided to give PSOGC a go.

Graphics wise it's pretty much as good as the Xbox version, but it has pixel shaders working in full effect so you'll see the "heat shimmer" when casting a telepipe, when you see Sinows cloaking you'll see the well known "predator effect" (this effect in PSOX is diferent, it's a mere "pixel" displacement which is quite horrid compared with the PSOGC effect) and the water ripples are superb!
Granted the textures and the edges seem a bit more blurry here and there compared with the Xbox version(which I believe is due to some excess of anti-aliasing from the ATI card inside the GC, they should have toned down the AA level a bit) they are pretty much the same.

The GC controler feels like a dream in PSO, it's almost as if it was designed with PSO in mind!

No voice chat here so you'll be going the old fashioned PSODC way, keyboard!
While you can't use the C Stick for shortcuts the way you can in PSOX, you have the advantage of being able to use the keyboard F keys for this (which you can't in the Xbox version).
Using the keyboard you can press certain keys to perform actions like waving, jumping, blowing kisses, etc, while in the Xbox version you have a menu to choose these actions; this menu is not available in the GC version.

Curiously enough, PSOGC has the "PSO" feeling I was missing from PSOX.
Maybe it's the keyboard, maybe it's the fact I'm playing with my old friends (since they all went PSOGC and I was in PSOX); I don't know for certain, but I do know it feels the way it should unlike the Xbox version.

Another thing to note is the fact PSOGC is "region unlocked" like the DC versions, you can be in the US and go to EU or JP if you want; in the Xbox version you are limited to your own region, if you're in the US you can only play in the US servers and the same happens with the other regions, which sucks majorly.

Bottom line, ignoring the online content (which the GC has more since it's been out for longer), I recommend the GC version.
I have both versions and both consoles so you're hearing this from someone who is not biased nor a fanboy of anything; I'm a "PSO Fanboy" if I have to be labeled as a fanboy of anything, hehe.

I hope this was a good enough "quick review comparision" of both games to help you choose which version you'll be getting in the future.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DarK-SuN on 2004-01-03 20:29 ]</font>

Amiadon
Jan 4, 2004, 02:11 AM
Yay! He's right *points at DarK-suN's post*
I prefer the GC as well, but I might be biased because i always liked the GC over everything http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

A2K
Jan 4, 2004, 02:38 AM
Graphics-wise, aside from the pixel shading mentioned before, the Xbox version has a relatively more stable rendering engine, and, ah, although I can't confirm this certain little things are animated on the X version that were also fine on the DC versions aren't on the GCN version for some reason. The mip-mapping (I think that's what it's called... the thing where textures a certain distance away are made lower quality to save resources) threshold is farther back as well.

Sound-wise, the Xbox version has crisper sounding sound effects due to less compression and supports Dolby Digital.

Load times... are slightly faster on Xbox.

Content-wise... Xbox is lagging a bit on the quest side of things but is catching up. It's fairly apparent that the Gamecube version is getting the brunt of Sonic Team's support, but the X version is no forgotten child, either.

Features, features... to be completely honest... all that other stuff I just commented on really just doesn't matter. The aformentioned differences are very minor. What's key here is the voice chat. While, yeah, it's so much worse to actually hear the idiots in the lobby (voice can be blocked, but curiously but you can't do anything about the balloon chat they spam on either version), on the flip side it's so much easier to communicate. The Xbox Live integration is very nice, especially the feedback system that lets you send good feedback or complaints about the users you encounter.

On the flipside, you get nifty little GBA download games on the Gamecube version. Ah, you could say that each version takes advantage of the unique features of either system.

Egh, almost forgot... there's no cross-region play on Xbox, and I doubt there will be ever unless Microsoft decides to actually hook together the regional Xbox Live systems first. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

AND the Xbox version requires you have an Xbox Live gamertag... somehow. You could use a friend's rather than getting one of your own, but, that would mean that if you decided to go online you couldn't go online with those characters. Basically, the serial number and CD key system is replaced by the gamertag thing... easy enough security change, but it makes a serious functionality roadblock...

PC version... can't comment. I don't think there's an Episode I & II version out for that, actually.

The truth of the matter, though, is, just pick the version that fits your situation better, really. If you already have a Gamecube and no Xbox, go for that. Already an avid Xbox Live user? Well then... go Xbox.

JohanCC
Jan 4, 2004, 02:39 AM
I'd say that both versions have their ups and downs, but it evens out. GC PSO=XBOX PSO
To help you decide, I put down their strengths and weaknesses.

If you're only getting the console for PSO, then I'd say GC because it's cheaper. Also, if you can't get broadband, then once again GC.

XBOX has voice chatting. GC, you're going to want a keyboard. Price varies from keyboard to keyboard.

With XBOX, XBOX Live is required to play ($50), but it works with all XBOX Live games, so if you wanted to play other games its a plus. GC, you have to buy an online adapter ($35) to play online, but it only works with the PSO seris, Kirby's Air Ride (LAN play), and Mario Kart: Double Dash!!(also LAN play).

Controllers: Both controllers work well.

GC servers are more crowded then XBOX servers.

As far as cheating goes, XBOX has more hacking, and GC has more duping and max stats. XBOX can be modded, and on GC people can now use AR codes. There's also an anti-cheating patch on XBOX to stop duping.

..and as of now, the only other point I can think of is GC gets new quests sooner.

_tsunami
Jan 4, 2004, 07:05 AM
i wish people would stop putting the rumor about nintendo dropping out of the console business.. it just grows and grows and is largely a false rumor..

other than that yous have already pointed out what i wanted to say.

Rich_T
Jan 4, 2004, 12:00 PM
I own both a gamecube and an X box, i decided to get the gamecube version of PSO because you cant visit other regional servers (EU/US/JP)on the X box.

Apart from that i can see no other major differences.
the gamecube version relies on a memory card ( use an official one to lessen the risk of coruption) the X box saves to the hard disk, if your X box fails, you lose the saves, if the gamecube fails youve still got your card.

the Gamecube version requires the aditional expense of a broadband adaptor or a modem, X box has a built in BBA.
the gamecube version can be played using a 56k modem, X box is broadband only.
for comunication purposes, the X box live starter kit includes a headset, the gamecube version of PSO requires a keyboard ( although you can go without and comuntication device) which is an aditional cost.
both versions can access on screen keyboards, you can also get a USB adaptor for a keyboard for the X box.

I could go on and on, but as far as PSO goes the X box and Gamecube versions are probably equaly matched.

JohanCC
Jan 4, 2004, 01:28 PM
On 2004-01-04 09:00, Rich_T wrote:
Apart from that i can see no other major differences.
the gamecube version relies on a memory card ( use an official one to lessen the risk of coruption) the X box saves to the hard disk, if your X box fails, you lose the saves, if the gamecube fails youve still got your card.

But if your memory card dies, like if you have a 3rd party card, you're still equally screwed... unless if you still have other chars on other cards...

I just wanted to add that. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

_tsunami
Jan 5, 2004, 12:02 AM
can the xbox version play offline multiplayer like the GC can??
for example your friends can bring their characters on their memory cards and load it up on another friends house to play offline 4 players.. does the xbox utilise that?

Outrider
Jan 5, 2004, 01:03 AM
Yes. Yes it can.

At least, that's what I've heard.

Coxy
Jan 5, 2004, 03:42 AM
On 2004-01-04 21:02, _tsunami wrote:
can the xbox version play offline multiplayer like the GC can??
for example your friends can bring their characters on their memory cards and load it up on another friends house to play offline 4 players.. does the xbox utilise that?

yes, it does, i have PSOX, however to get the best out of it you need a pretty big tv, otherwise you are all cramped into a 21" and things can get confusing.

as for the whole xbox/gamecube thing, well, at the end of the day get the console you want based on other games and stuff aswell, because you certainly arn't going to get a console for just one game, are you? :

basically, PSOX and PSOGC are the same game with minor differences, it doesnt matter what console you play on, it's still PSO

BOmar
Jan 5, 2004, 05:38 AM
After Dark-sun's review I don't think anyone even needs to post anymore! That post should be stickied so these topics don't come up as often.

FYI I like the GC version more as I don't own an xbox, so buying the game for a system I don't have would make for a very boring gaming experience http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BOmar on 2004-01-05 02:39 ]</font>

dude3282
Jan 5, 2004, 08:34 AM
I'd say go for the GC, just because of the people. You find more people on GC then Xbox, and you can go play with EU and JP people, too. Also, I've heard people say that there are more immature people on Xbox, yelling rude things into the headset and such(don't own one, can't comment).

Karnage
Jan 5, 2004, 04:25 PM
On 2004-01-05 05:34, dude3282 wrote:
I'd say go for the GC, just because of the people. You find more people on GC then Xbox, and you can go play with EU and JP people, too. Also, I've heard people say that there are more immature people on Xbox, yelling rude things into the headset and such(don't own one, can't comment).

So If you don't play on xbox, why bring that up? I bet there are just as many people throwing up annoying symbol chats and writing nasty messages on the Gamecube version as well. Besides you can voice ban anyone who is talking negatively.

I personally own the xbox version, but I have a cube as well as an xbox, so I could of bought either or. I bought it for the xbox so I could use voice instead of just typing.

Also it seems that most people on this sight own it for the cube, so asking a question like this on this sight seems a little unfair.....Just my 2 cents

darthsaber9x9
Jan 5, 2004, 04:37 PM
On 2004-01-05 13:25, Karnage wrote:

So If you don't play on xbox, why bring that up? I bet there are just as many people throwing up annoying symbol chats and writing nasty messages on the Gamecube version as well. Besides you can voice ban anyone who is talking negatively.

I personally own the xbox version, but I have a cube as well as an xbox, so I could of bought either or. I bought it for the xbox so I could use voice instead of just typing.

Also it seems that most people on this sight own it for the cube, so asking a question like this on this sight seems a little unfair.....Just my 2 cents

firstly, use the correct spelling of words. the correct spelling shoudl be site not sight. and no need to turn all fan boy-ish....
and this is a pso website. can YOu think of a better place to ask? certainly not shops...

anwserman
Jan 5, 2004, 05:44 PM
Hey hey hey... lets remove the PSO portion of this console argument and look at the rest of the facts...

Buying a new console JUST for PSO is a stupid mistake. But if you want to play PSO, you can kiss the PS2 goodbye, so we now have two contestants: GC and X-Box.

Now, with these two consoles, look up each system and look at what games they have. GC has more kid-friendly games then the X-Box (BUT IS NOT A KIDS CONSOLE TO ALL THE PEOPLE WHO WANT TO FLAME ME), and the X-Box has more support for online games then the GC, along with having more mature games then the GC.

Basically, it comes down to what games you want to play appear on each console. Don't buy a system just due to PSO, you might regret it in the long run when games you want to play appear on other systems then the one you chose.

_tsunami
Jan 5, 2004, 06:19 PM
hmm not all games on GC are for kids you know.. it has some of the best quality games.

anwserman
Jan 5, 2004, 06:44 PM
On 2004-01-05 15:19, _tsunami wrote:
hmm not all games on GC are for kids you know.. it has some of the best quality games.

Please do read again:

Now, with these two consoles, look up each system and look at what games they have. GC has more kid-friendly games then the X-Box (BUT IS NOT A KIDS CONSOLE TO ALL THE PEOPLE WHO WANT TO FLAME ME)

You didn't flame but you also didn't read what I did say!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: anwserman on 2004-01-05 15:45 ]</font>

Saiffy
Jan 5, 2004, 06:48 PM
You should also yake cost into effect, Gamecube is $99(Or $139 Canadian) with the Zelda disc(I still think they give it out) and X-Box is uhhh... i think $229 with 2 games and 1 month of X-box live(No idea on Canadian price)...

Still it also matters what games your into(I agree with you on that anwserman)

Also PSO+ and Episode 3 MIGHT come out for X-box, notice the big might before you think im saying it is coming out.

Also GC has more people, X-box has voice that. Ups and downs for both. If you pick GC then maybe i'll see you online, if you pick x-box then i won't.

Liquid_Bacon
Jan 5, 2004, 07:02 PM
I played the Dreamcast version for 1000+ hours, and the GameCube version for 500+ hours. Now I'm into the Xbox version with about 50 hours racked up so far.

My recommendation would be to go with the GameCube version.

The Xbox version has better sound and load times, but that's it. The voice chat makes the game worse more than it makes the game better.

However it doesn't feel "PSO", not sure how to explain it but it doesn't feel like PSO felt in the DC version (and this is coming from someone who plays PSO since PSOv1 JP) for some reason.

For this same reason of PSOX not feeling "PSO" I decided to give PSOGC a go.

I think this is largely due to the voice chat. 95% of the time I'm online, I'm longing for my old keyboard controller back. There are some times that the voice chat is nice, if you're with the right people and there isn't much to say (since two people can't talk at the same time and still be understood), but usually I would take the keyboard.

Don't get me wrong, PSOX is still PSO and it's still good because of it, but it just isn't "the same".

ERS
Jan 5, 2004, 07:45 PM
One notable advantage of Xbox PSO: No double save.

No double save= much less chance of corruption.

I still prefer GC, though.

badbitz
Jan 5, 2004, 07:54 PM
D'OH
THERE IS NO MORE DDOUBLE SAVE
pay more attention

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: badbitz on 2004-01-05 17:12 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: badbitz on 2004-01-05 17:14 ]</font>

ERS
Jan 5, 2004, 08:10 PM
Yes, there is. I just corrupted from it yesterday.

No need to try and make me look like an idiot, it'll do you no good.

badbitz
Jan 5, 2004, 08:13 PM
oh rilly..? they implemented dubble save agin..?
huh? huh?
since when???

ERS
Jan 5, 2004, 08:15 PM
It was only down for a few days. They put it back up after a week or so.

Who's the one who needs to pay more attention?

badbitz
Jan 5, 2004, 08:16 PM
wth is with that?
why did they put it back up???
man, i was sooo happy it was gone -_-

_tsunami
Jan 5, 2004, 08:43 PM
On 2004-01-05 15:44, anwserman wrote:

On 2004-01-05 15:19, _tsunami wrote:

Please do read again:

Now, with these two consoles, look up each system and look at what games they have. GC has more kid-friendly games then the X-Box (BUT IS NOT A KIDS CONSOLE TO ALL THE PEOPLE WHO WANT TO FLAME ME)

You didn't flame but you also didn't read what I did say!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: anwserman on 2004-01-05 15:45 ]</font>

Err whats wrong with what i said..? geez i just said GC has SOME good games. And anyway ever since i had the game i've never got corrupt from any double save. ever thought its not tthe double saves fault but your connection or something else?

Anyway i think this thread is kinda off topic as it progresses

ERS
Jan 5, 2004, 09:14 PM
No, and just because you have never corrupted, doesn't mean it doesn't happen. The connection shouldn't matter.

_tsunami
Jan 5, 2004, 09:16 PM
Well i didn't say it doesn't happen.. i just said it hasn't happened to me yet. Although i hear heaps of people have had it happen to them and crying on the boards then turning into dupers. (and no i don't mean everyone) lets keep the flaming down.

Karnage
Jan 5, 2004, 10:21 PM
On 2004-01-05 13:37, darthsaber9x9 wrote:

On 2004-01-05 13:25, Karnage wrote:

firstly, use the correct spelling of words. the correct spelling shoudl be site not sight. and no need to turn all fan boy-ish....
and this is a pso website. can YOu think of a better place to ask? certainly not shops...

Hmmm...fan boy-ish?? I must have missed the part where I said the xbox is better than the gamecube......and as for the site spelling, I guess I shoudl have to proof read like you did http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif......(come on isn't spelling kind of petty).

Just to make it clear, I own both consoles (and I like both egually) but when it came to my personal choice, I went with the version with voice chat.

I agree with the answerman. Basically it's going to come down which console you are going to get more use out of, because of what I have seen, both versions are pretty similar.