PDA

View Full Version : Best Movie of the Year

lain2k3
Jan 5, 2004, 10:02 PM
There is no doubt that this was an excellent year in the movie world. Quite a few extraordinary masterpieces were made this year, and I'd like to know you're top 5-10 movies of the year. I'm going to list just 5, since I think that these 5 stood head and shoulders above the rest.

1. Lost in Translation
2. Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
3. Better Luck Tommorow
4. House of Sand and Fog
5. Monster

LostHero
Jan 6, 2004, 12:21 AM
Despite how much I liked ROTK, I wouldn't put it in the top 3...

Amiadon
Jan 6, 2004, 09:03 AM
!!!!!! *is surprised*

You forgot Kill Bill vol.1!!!

My vote goes to Kill Bill.

Or then again If I can't vote for that, I vote RotK.

polishedweasel
Jan 6, 2004, 09:29 AM
Pirates of the Carribean. Dur...

Zaneatron
Jan 6, 2004, 09:36 AM
Interstella 5555. ive just seen it at my friends house, it brought a tear to my eye http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_cry.gif it was great.

lain2k3
Jan 6, 2004, 03:59 PM
There will be something seriuosly wrong if peter jackson doesnt win an osacr for RotK

and I've never heard of interstella 5555, whats that about?

this isnt meant to be a poll, just list what you think to be the best movies of the year!

muff
Jan 6, 2004, 04:05 PM
On 2004-01-05 19:02, lain2k3 wrote:
There is no doubt that this was an excellent year in the movie world. Quite a few extraordinary masterpieces were made this year, and I'd like to know you're top 5-10 movies of the year.

Hard to say what is the best movie of the year, 6 days into it...

Just playing I know what you mean. Ok here we go.

1.)Matrix Revoloutions
2.)Matrix Reloaded
3.)ROTK
4.)Pirates of the Carribean
5.)Ummmmmm Finding Nemo or Spirited Away maybe?

Zaneatron
Jan 6, 2004, 04:06 PM
Its an anime/manga film thing set to the Discovery Album by Daft Punk. Each song off the album is featured and is basically part of the story. The story is pretty weird. theres no speech as such, its just the songs. great film though. i was sad towards the end because the , well i wont tell you. youd have to see to find out. but parts of the film are either quite old or re done, because some of the film is the actual music videos used when the singles were released.

muff
Jan 6, 2004, 04:10 PM
On 2004-01-06 13:06, Zaneatron wrote:
Its an anime/manga film thing set to the Discovery Album by Daft Punk. Each song off the album is featured and is basically part of the story. The story is pretty weird. theres no speech as such, its just the songs. great film though. i was sad towards the end because the , well i wont tell you. youd have to see to find out. but parts of the film are either quite old or re done, because some of the film is the actual music videos used when the singles were released.

Yeah I saw this somewhere, I wanna see it >_> Maybe I'll rent it, *opens up kazaa* Yeah, I'm on my way to Blockbuster right now.

Outrider
Jan 6, 2004, 06:38 PM
Oh. Were those four music videos of theirs that Toonami played years ago part of that movie?

And uh... as much as I wish I had loved them, I really wouldn't put the Matrix sequels up there.

I'd go with Return of the King, Kill Bill Vol. 1, Spirited Away, um... I dunno. Was 25th Hour 2003 or 2002? 2002, right?

Anubis_
Jan 6, 2004, 06:55 PM
where the hell is Gili..???

Dangerous55
Jan 6, 2004, 06:57 PM
Ugh, Matrixes this year sucked.

I would say ROTK, I cant think of everything I saw.

KaFKa
Jan 6, 2004, 07:00 PM
ROTK or pirates of the carribean, or even league of extraordinary gentleman...

badbitz
Jan 6, 2004, 07:07 PM
On 2004-01-06 15:57, Dangerous55 wrote:
Ugh, Matrixes this year sucked.

I would say ROTK, I cant think of everything I saw.

even though I have a fanfic on the matrix...
I do have to admit, its getting wierd and stupid.

lain2k3
Jan 6, 2004, 08:15 PM
On 2004-01-06 15:38, Outrider wrote:
Oh. Were those four music videos of theirs that Toonami played years ago part of that movie?

And uh... as much as I wish I had loved them, I really wouldn't put the Matrix sequels up there.

I'd go with Return of the King, Kill Bill Vol. 1, Spirited Away, um... I dunno. Was 25th Hour 2003 or 2002? 2002, right?

Both spirited away and 25th hour were'02, sorry http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Temjin-On
Jan 6, 2004, 09:25 PM
ROTK! definatly. The matrix sequals sucked. And who can forget Pirates Of the Carribean. (what the hell is soo good about this movie? i have yet to figure that out) Oh yea! WHY IS THE RUM GONE!

badbitz
Jan 6, 2004, 09:31 PM
On 2004-01-06 18:25, Temjin-On wrote:
ROTK! definatly. The matrix sequals sucked. And who can forget Pirates Of the Carribean. (what the hell is soo good about this movie? i have yet to figure that out) Oh yea! WHY IS THE RUM GONE!

i dunno everyone says how 'omg! the pirates of the carribean rules! omg! i wuv it!!!!'

its a favorite among girls at my school -_-

Zebulan7
Jan 6, 2004, 09:38 PM
I liked Finding Nemo, as well as the rest of the world, and hated the Matrixs (whoa, this). Quite a contrast. RoTK was ok, better than the average (okay, a whole lot better) but I thought the endless fades would never end.

Outrider
Jan 6, 2004, 09:47 PM
On 2004-01-06 18:38, Zebulan7 wrote:
RoTK was ok, better than the average (okay, a whole lot better) but I thought the endless fades would never end.

Read book. Sense will be made.

Darn, someone else said Spirited Away was 2003, so I assumed they were right! And 25th Hour... best monologue ever.

Pirates was good, but I don't think it was as amazing as everybody made it out to be. Oh, and X2! That was 2003, right?

lain2k3
Jan 6, 2004, 10:13 PM
(Monty walks into the bathroom. He looks in the mirror. In the bottom corner, someone's written Fuck You!)
Monty: Yeah, fuck you, too.
Monty's Reflection: Fuck me? Fuck you! Fuck you and this whole city and everyone in it.
Fuck the panhandlers, grubbing for money, and smiling at me behind my back.
Fuck squeegee men dirtying up the clean windshield of my car. Get a fucking job!
Fuck the Sikhs and the Pakistanis bombing down the avenues in decrepit cabs, curry steaming out their pores and stinking up my day. Terrorists in fucking training. Slow the fuck down!
Fuck the Chelsea boys with their waxed chests and pumped up biceps. Going down on each other in my parks and on my piers, jingling their dicks on my Channel 35.
Fuck the Korean grocers with their pyramids of overpriced fruit and their tulips and roses wrapped in plastic. Ten years in the country, still no speaky English?
Fuck the Russians in Brighton Beach. Mobster thugs sitting in caf? sipping tea in little glasses, sugar cubes between their teeth. Wheelin' and dealin' and schemin'. Go back where you fucking came from!
Fuck the black-hatted Chassidim, strolling up and down 47th street in their dirty gabardine with their dandruff. Selling South African apartheid diamonds!
Fuck the Wall Street brokers. Self-styled masters of the universe. Michael Douglas, Gordon Gecko wannabe mother fuckers, figuring out new ways to rob hard working people blind. Send those Enron assholes to jail for fucking life! You think Bush and Cheney didn't know about that shit? Give me a fucking break! Tyco! Imclone! Adelphia! Worldcom!
Fuck the Puerto Ricans. 20 to a car, swelling up the welfare rolls, worst fuckin' parade in the city. And don't even get me started on the Dom-in-i-cans, because they make the Puerto Ricans look good.
Fuck the Bensonhurst Italians with their pomaded hair, their nylon warm-up suits, and their St. Anthony medallions. Swinging their, Jason Giambi, Louisville slugger, baseball bats, trying to audition for the Sopranos.
Fuck the Upper East Side wives with their Herm?scarves and their fifty-dollar Balducci artichokes. Overfed faces getting pulled and lifted and stretched, all taut and shiny. You're not fooling anybody, sweetheart!
Fuck the uptown brothers. They never pass the ball, they don't want to play defense, they take fives steps on every lay-up to the hoop. And then they want to turn around and blame everything on the white man. Slavery ended one hundred and thirty seven years ago. Move the fuck on!
Fuck the corrupt cops with their anus violating plungers and their 41 shots, standing behind a blue wall of silence. You betray our trust!
Fuck the priests who put their hands down some innocent child's pants. Fuck the church that protects them, delivering us into evil. And while you're at it, fuck JC! He got off easy! A day on the cross, a weekend in hell, and all the hallelujahs of the legioned angels for eternity! Try seven years in fuckin Otisville, Jay!
Fuck Osama Bin Laden, Alqueda, and backward-ass, cave-dwelling, fundamentalist assholes everywhere. On the names of innocent thousands murdered, I pray you spend the rest of eternity with your seventy-two whores roasting in a jet-fueled fire in hell. You towel headed camel jockeys can kiss my royal, Irish ass!
Fuck Jacob Elinski, whining malcontent.
Fuck Francis Xavier Slaughtery, my best friend, judging me while he stares at my girlfriend's ass.
Fuck Naturel Rivera. I gave her my trust and she stabbed me in the back. Sold me up the river. Fucking bitch.
Fuck my father with his endless grief, standing behind that bar. Sipping on club soda, selling whiskey to firemen and cheering the Bronx Bombers.
Fuck this whole city and everyone in it. From the row houses of Astoria to the penthouses on Park Avenue. From the projects in the Bronx to the lofts in Soho. From the tenements in Alphabet City to the brownstones in Park slope to the split levels in Staten Island. Let an earthquake crumble it. Let the fires rage. Let it burn to fuckin ash then let the waters rise and submerge this whole, rat-infested place.
Monty: No. No, fuck you, Montgomery Brogan. You had it all and then you threw it away, you dumb fuck!
(He takes a breath and tries to rub away the words.)

Too bad it was '02...awesome monlogue.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: lain2k3 on 2004-01-06 19:18 ]</font>

Outrider
Jan 6, 2004, 10:40 PM
As I said... Best monologue ever. It's really a good movie, and it's too bad that not many people have seen it.

Zzzzzz
Jan 7, 2004, 01:20 AM
X2 was good, and (of course) RotK. And Master and Commander!!!

"You should always pick the lesser of two weevils."

That's about as corny as it gets in that movie.

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

waltz
Jan 7, 2004, 04:00 AM
Bad boys 2 enough said

Deathscythealpha
Jan 7, 2004, 05:46 AM
On 2004-01-06 13:06, Zaneatron wrote:
but parts of the film are either quite old or re done, because some of the film is the actual music videos used when the singles were released.

The music videos were always intended to be part of the movie, its just took time for the DVD to eventually come out *hugs his copy so none else can steal it* One of my best christmas presents. Totally recomend it to anyone who likes anime or Daft Punk music (Nightvision is such a great, airy track)

Films: Pirates of the Carribean was a great film, just seemed to turn up and be different to everything else that was coming out at the time. X-Men 2 was a totally worthy sequel, the opening sequence alone is worth seeing. Finding Nemo is another classic from Pixar, and it was quite funny seeing twelve 18+ people from my Uni Flat sitting at the back fo the cinema trying to hide from all the kids who were watching the film. Hmm, cant think of many other good films, so ill stick with those 3.

Mattacon
Jan 7, 2004, 06:04 AM
I liked ROTK the best...Also Master and Commander was good too. Has anyone seen Peter Pan? Is it good?

Mattacon
Jan 7, 2004, 06:05 AM
I liked ROTK the best...Also Master and Commander was good too. Has anyone seen Peter Pan? Is it good?

Myopathy
Jan 7, 2004, 07:32 AM
Confidence
Finding Nemo
Kill Bill Vol. 1
LotR: RotK
Pirates of the Carribean (If not for anything else, Depp's performance made that movie)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ezellaur on 2004-01-07 21:32 ]</font>

Nidarrock
Jan 7, 2004, 03:36 PM
1. Return of the King
2. Pirates of the Carribean
3. X2
4. Kill Bill vol. 1
5. Finding Nemo

That's my picks. Sure some may not be the absolute best movie of the year, but they had the perfect amount of entertainment that makes going to the movies a great time.

Zzzzzz
Jan 7, 2004, 04:24 PM
What? Are Mattacon and I the only ones who thought
Master and Commander was good? Oh well...

And Deathscythealpha was right. The opening sequence
of X2 is really good. I haven't gotten the courage to see Finding Nemo yet.

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Nai_Calus
Jan 7, 2004, 04:27 PM
The reason all the girls liked PotC... Two words, Orlando Bloom. >P

Goddamn it people, it's Matrices.

Uh... I haven't seen a single movie that came out this year. >_>; Last movie I saw in the theatres was Two Towers. ._.;;;;

lain2k3
Jan 7, 2004, 04:33 PM
On 2004-01-07 13:27, Ian-KunX wrote:
The reason all the girls liked PotC... Two words, Orlando Bloom. >P

and johnny depp...

Am I the only one here who saw lost in translation?

that movie is ridiculously amazing...

the leading actress in it, scarlett johansson has 2 golden globe nominations for best actress, for 2 different movies this year, and she's only 19 years old...

good stuff.

and bill murray has the best performance of his life in this movie.

and it has like a 2/3 chance of winning best picture.