PDA

View Full Version : Switch from PSOX to PSOGC?

Giezus
Jan 6, 2004, 01:58 PM
Ever since I read posts about Xbox's Thompson drive being faulty, and it costing $100+ to fix it, I've been thinking about trading in my Xbox (while its still working) for a new Game Cube. I just want to know, what are some ups/downs from switching? Oh, and please dont make this a topic saying how Microsoft screwed up the Xbox with the Thompson drive, I just want to know what you guys think about me switching.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Giezus on 2004-01-06 13:20 ]</font>

anwserman
Jan 6, 2004, 02:07 PM
Hmm. Depends on what games you like. Though both systems do have the same games, some of the exclusive titles appear on the GC and some on the X-Box, but not both. Depends on that mostly, those games.

Basically, research what games you like on either system, and make the decision off of that.

EvilNixon666
Jan 6, 2004, 02:09 PM
I dunno. There are some great games for the cube, I have Viewtiful Joe (import), Pikmin, Megaman Battle Transmission (import), and of course PSO.

The PSO cube is fairly decent, except for all the hacking/max stats/AR stuff. I think I've heard that there are usually more folks on the GC servers overall.

Don't get me wrong, I love my xbox, but I honestly play it less than my other systems. I will still hold on to mine for stuff like Steel Battalion 2 and the new GTA, as well as the upcoming release of NINJA GAIDEN! If you haven't checked out the trailer for that, it might make you hang on to the box.

Anyways, I hope you think about it a lot before switching. I guess just make sure the cube has enough games that you can enjoy.

Giezus
Jan 6, 2004, 02:16 PM
I know, both have games I enjoy (Xbox has Halo, GTA, and RS3, GC has Metroid Prime, Mario Kart, and Star Wars Rebel Strike). I know about similarites and differences in consoles and games, but I cant find much on PSO (the game I play most on Xbox). Thats why I ask you here. I wanna try to get both Xbox and GC owners, plus a few who own both to help. Thanks anyway guys!

Giezus
Jan 6, 2004, 04:19 PM
Anyone?

Oh, I've also been reading about character files getting curupted on GC version? Anyone let me in on it?

Nai_Calus
Jan 6, 2004, 04:45 PM
GC will FSOD sometimes, causing everything from meseta loss to corruption, depending on when the FSOD occurs - Logging in, all you lose is meseta. Leaving a game, any progress made during that game and your unequipped items. In a game, unequipped items. Joining a game during the double save, corruption. I've also heard that 3rd party memory cards are more likely to corrupt...

GC has been out longer, and updates do not have to be certified by Microsoft, so GC already has more quests and the like than Xbox, as well as getting new content that comes out sooner. It took seven months or so, for example, for Seat of the Heart to finally make it to Xbox after it came out on the GC.

GC does not have voice chat, and if you plan on communicating, I highly recommend purchasing some sort of keyboard for it. Soft keyboard and word select are not very useful.

I haven't used the Xbox controller, but from what I've seen in screenshots it appears the button layout is somewhat similar to the DC. GC controller IMO is better and more ergonomic for control. I've played DC a bit, and the controller layout drove me mad.

GC and Xbox have a few niggling, unimportant graphical differences. The GC does not come with a broadband adapter, it must be purchased seperately. One can also use a modem adapter, but as you currently play Xbox PSO I can infer that you do in fact have broadband and thus that is nil.

Lag isn't too bad... I've got a Modem Adapter, and I can't say that it really bothers me that much. I haven't noticed that 56k users really lag anything in games, either.

*shrug* Be prepared to spend extra money, and so on.

Oh, forgot to mention, the regional servers are linked on GC PSO, so you can play on the JP or EU ships just as easily as playing on the US ships. There's also the thing with not having to have Xbox live to play offline, but again, that probably matters not to you. ^^;

kevlar_pso
Jan 6, 2004, 08:37 PM
Since I have PSO for both, personally I play Xbox PSO just cause I don't hafta scroll thru my 30 page guild card list jus to see who's playin PSO like on the Gamecube version. Plus you can carry a ton of characters on you hard drive as opposed to the Gamecubes memory cards. But that's just me. Just for sayin that I may get flamed lol.

As far as tradin in goes. @only $100, just buy a Gamecube. Then get somethin to tide you over til you put out the big bucks for Gamecube PSO(well, I think you should save you $$$ til "plus" comes out on Gamecube). Here's what you will be spending. Gamecube-$100, Keyboard controller-$50 or so on Ebay.com, modem or broadband adapter-$35(I think that is right, been a while since I got both ha!) almost always instock @ Nintendo.com, memory card 251-$20(depending on where you get it from and whether or not you want the cool import PSO memory card), and the PSO hunter's license-$9. Total, approx. $214. Give or take, depending on whether you get used from ebay or brand new.

So start saving til you have enuff, and just get it all. Get a second job if you hafta to pay for it, untl you get all your Nintendo gear that is lol.

Vielka
Jan 6, 2004, 08:50 PM
ive had my GC and PSO for about 2 months now. I just now got my BBA. As far as the game itself on GC, im am loving it. The controls are smooth and the shortcut window is real simple to use. The controllers feel great in your hand. The only thing that ive had happen to me is beating the Mines boss on ultimate and not having that save. That happened once, that would be the only thing i see wrong. On a side note, if you get the Gamecube you can get 4 zelda games on 1 Disc.

if you have a hard time finding a BBA, got to ebgames.c0m

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Vielka on 2004-01-06 17:50 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Vielka on 2004-01-06 17:54 ]</font>

Lone_HUmar
Jan 6, 2004, 09:12 PM
On 2004-01-06 10:58, Giezus wrote:
Ever since I read posts about Xbox's Thompson drive being faulty, and it costing $100+ to fix it, I've been thinking about trading in my Xbox (while its still working) for a new Game Cube. I just want to know, what are some ups/downs from switching? Oh, and please dont make this a topic saying how Microsoft screwed up the Xbox with the Thompson drive, I just want to know what you guys think about me switching.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Giezus on 2004-01-06 13:20 ]</font>

UPS:Not as many bugs, overheating...Many Great Games,Cheap Stuff i.e. BBA...

Downs:Childish games.

these are just my opinion.

badbitz
Jan 6, 2004, 09:14 PM
im waaay biasd but I say switch. I always like new people on pso -_-

PJ
Jan 6, 2004, 09:24 PM
On 2004-01-06 18:12, Lone_HUmar wrote:

Downs:Childish games.

You mean games playable by both children and adults? -_- Just because they're Rated E, doesn't mean they're bad.

Giezus
Jan 6, 2004, 09:33 PM
The thing is I'm 15 years old, living in the middle of no where, dont even have my driving permit yet. I dont have time (with school and stuff) to get a job, and even if I could there would be no way to get to it. And my family isnt really to good with money ( if we where, I would just pay to get my Xbox repaired), so my only way to get the GCN is trading in my Xbox. And, I would if I think about it enough. I just need to decide to trade it in now (while its still worth something), or take the chance and hope my Thompson doesnt ruin my Xbox (and about 70-75% of Thompsons have already became faulty). If i take the chance, and it does become faulty, then Im stuck with a giant paper wieght, 4 controllers, and 7 unusable games.

Oh, and I thought that you could only have 12 Characters on PSOX (+3 from a memory card)? How many can you have on PSOGC, and how many blocks is a character (i.e. how many characters would fit on a black 251 Memory Card)?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Giezus on 2004-01-06 18:58 ]</font>

Vielka
Jan 6, 2004, 09:49 PM
well on a regular memory card, it allows u to have 4 characters plus another 4 that are temp files "for multiplayer offline." Im 21 and love all of the GC games. Look at MarioKart DoubleDash:)

Coarse
Jan 6, 2004, 10:02 PM
I traded my xbox in for gamecube pretty much just for PSO and PSO ep.3 which is exclusively for GC

Giezus
Jan 6, 2004, 10:08 PM
Well, thanks all who have posted and helped. I guess I just need to decide. I have just 1 more question. Below is a list of Xbox stuff I have. Maybe (if some1 works at a game shop) give me an estimate of how much I would get for them. Thanks again everyone!

-Xbox Console (with all cables)
-Microsoft Controller-S (x3, all great condition)
-Microsoft Original Controller (great condition)
-Microsoft Memory Unit
-Microsoft DVD Playback Kit
-Action Replay (everything included)
-Microsoft Xbox LIVE! Mic
-RFU Adapter
-Halo
-Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
-Brute Force
-Unreal Championship
-Phantasy Star Online
-Rainbow Six 3
-MechAssault

Thanks again everyone!

Dhylec
Jan 6, 2004, 10:12 PM
ah you didn't read this?
http://pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=73056&forum=1&35
i hate locking topics, but this 1 seems redundant..