PDA

View Full Version : ISP's and Screenshots

Tilldawn
Jan 6, 2004, 03:56 PM
can anyone give me a good number of ISP's for broadband in the United KINGDOM please and how can i take screenshots what equipment do i need... and if its possible to use my PC's monitor to play pso on thanks.

Rich_T
Jan 6, 2004, 04:44 PM
UK Broadband ISPs

There are several differnt ways to get broadband in the UK the main ones are

ADSL this is suplied down your phone line using equipment at your local exchange and filters at your end on each phone socket, you can only get this is you are not to far away form an equiped exchange

Cable this is only available in areas that have cable TV, both the main UK CaTV companies are in some financial problems of some sort at the moment, and expansion is unlikly.

Satelite, very expensive, can come in two flavours one way satelite ( download at fast speeds from the satelite, upload via dial up) this is the expensive option.
two way satelite, this is the very expensive option.

For most people in the UK, ADSL is the most common option for broadband and appart from conection/activation ( prices vary some may be free with 12 month contract) charges costs around £19-£30 per month, contracts genraly last between 1 month or 12 months, with a 12 month contract you pay a lower activastion/conection fee or in some cases non at all.
With a 1 month contract you may pay more.

first time subscribers can get a modem form the ISP, however these modems are almost always USB modems which cannot be conected directly to a gamecube, X box or any other ethernet enabled device.
To use on on a Gamecube or X-Box you need to use internet conection sharing (ICS) on the P.C that the USB modem is attached ( it works ive used the same method)
if you want an ethernet modem and you dont want to use ICS you need a router with a built in modem.

ADSL stands for Asymetric digital subscription line the download speed is roughly 512kb and upload 215kb.

If you are thinking of getting ADSL Broadband ( down your phone line) take a good long look through http://www.adslguide.org.uk most ISPs are listed there, together with customer feedback on each ISP IP reviews and an active set of messageboards with a forum for each ISP

At the moment Tiscalli seems to be generating the most complaints, i would also advise that you avoid AOL or any other ISP that uses propeity software to conect.

Visit this site for more
http://www.adslguide.org.uk