PDA

View Full Version : Error No. 15

Kadou
Jan 12, 2004, 09:14 PM
Could not retrieve IP from DHCP, or something. I don't know what it means exactly, but I want to know if I should hold my ISP, my network, or the Sega servers responsible for not being disconnected so often and not being able to get back online for a while.

Ketchup345
Jan 13, 2004, 09:03 AM
Frm the Sticky/Tech Support FAQ (http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=37273&forum=3&71) at the top.

06Q: I have a broadband connection, not a dial-up (narrowband) connection, and a home network set up. Right now, I'm connecting to PSO through a hub/switch/router, but it's not working, or I keep getting disconnected. What do I do?

06A: Is the modem near your GameCube? If so, eliminating everything inbetween by connecting your GameCube to the modem directly should resolve your problem. However, for a lot of home network users, this is not an option, especially since your GameCube may be in another area of the house altogether. (My GameCube is 100 feet away from my router!) As long as you have it connected to the network somehow, you should be able to resolve this problem. If you are using a switch, make sure that your GameCube's assigned IP is exclusive and is not being used by another computer on your network. If you are connecting through a hub and are having connect/disconnect/FSODs, either eliminate the hub and connect using the modem directly, or follow this "Error No.015" guide, which does require you to purchase and use a router:

*** Error No.015 Guide

(Please note that this part of the guide assumes that you have rudimentary networking experience!)

Through your computer's browser, get into your router's setup. Do you see an area which tells you what your IP addresses will start with? It will normally be something like "192.168.1.1." (It does not have to be this IP exactly, but it will be similar.) You will know this is the correct number if each of your networked computers connect to the 'net with something like it, such as 192.168.1.2, 192.168.1.3, and so on for each consecutive computer. Remember this generic IP for later. Write it down if you have to. You are going to need it when you set up your GC. Now, check to see what the Subnet Mask is. Also save the Subnet Mask information for later. Finally, check to see what the gateway IP is, and also save that for later.

In your router's setup, make sure that it is set to act as a DHCP server. Also, if you can, make sure that your router is set up to accept connections from every device you have connected to it -- all of your computers and the GameCube. Save your changes, if any, and do whatever your router requires for the changes to "settle" with your computer. (I have a LinkSys, and they recommend restarting the modem, and the computer. The reason we are worried about your computer, too, is because we must use it to test your internet connectivity.)

After making sure that your internet connection still works fine, go power up your GameCube and hook up its broadband connection. At the PSO title screen, select "Options," then "Network Option," then "Provider Option." Naturally, hit "OK" when it prompts you. Use existing network data if you have it, or make a new file if necessary.

Hit "Network Setup." Click on the connection name you want to modify and/or create. Hit "Edit Menu," name it as you wish, then hit "Next." Select "Manually Set An IP Address." Although we are going for a DHCP connection, you still will get one, but you need to do this to get the error to go away. Beneath that, select whatever disconnect option you want, it doesn't matter. Then hit "Next."

On this screen, you have to input an IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway. This is where the information you acquired earlier comes into play. For the IP address, count how many devices you have networked to the router. If there are five devices total, and your GC is the fifth, give your GC the fifth possible IP. Using the example above, this would be 192.168.1.5. Do not worry that every other computer on the network is (probably) set up to detect the IP automatically. Just keep going! Type in the Subnet Mask in the next field just as it was on your router. Then enter the Default Gateway info the same way it was on your router. Leave the DNS fields blank. Hit "Next." Leave the Proxy fields blank. Hit "Next" again.

That's it! Try it.

If that doesn't work, I don't know.

Kadou
Jan 13, 2004, 05:05 PM
Heh, thanks. I guess I should've read the stickies.