PDA

View Full Version : Maybe this topic name will be better: HELP!

Mixfortune
Jan 15, 2004, 10:47 PM
[Algarant Series] Before Twilight? What the hell is that?
Meh, anyways...

Before Twilight, as some may know, is getting quite large (30 chapters so far, of a planned 40+) and I've been somewhat put off by writing it at the moment, especially when a particularly "action important" scene is in Chapter 31.

Knowing full well that less and less people will start reading as I post more and more chapters in the same thread, I figure that once Book 2 rolls around, I will end up getting more people started from the beginning, and then just refer them to Book 1.

What I need to know is this:

Should I finish Book 1 and start on Book 2?
Or
Should I write some side stories pertaining to the main story?

I already wanted to do some short side stories anyways, that would give a little more about the characters and some "behind the scenes" information. These would of course be considered a different story, and have their own threads. Although they would still be longer than most shorts (by short I mean maybe 10 chapters... not short short like the Wandering Wordworks) it should be helpful in catching some people up with my works, as the more chapters I post, the harder it is for someone to start reading it... and I never really had many readers to begin with (back in September, mind you).

So... side stories? Or finish Book 1 (which is about 2/3rds done)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mixfortune on 2004-01-15 20:12 ]</font>

Robert_Wolf
Jan 16, 2004, 01:59 AM
Personally, I like to include a seemingly harmless sidestory in the context of my fic. I refer back to it on multiple occasions. For example, it can be something seemingly unrelated, but suddenly, the significance within the story comes to fruition. It could be mentioned only once, or make it reappear at a later date.

Keep your audience interested. Make them ask, "Where is he going with this?" For an example of this, read my fic. Sometimes, it involves NPC's who show some view into the suffering of the people. Or, the true plot can come out of left field, in order to surprise the readers. Basically the "I thought this was a different kind of story than this. Maybe I should read on and see if he sticks with this or not."

So I would suggest continuing your story, but change it up in order to keep everyone entertained.

If you want to consult my fic to see what I'm talking about, follow the link in my sig. (If it seems like I'm advertising, I'm sorry. I just want to help. If you would like me to remove any mention of my fic, just let me know.) Hope this helps... Later!

Sord
Jan 16, 2004, 02:35 AM
When i read that one, i felt utterly loss as to who's side was being veiwed.

Skett
Jan 16, 2004, 12:29 PM
As one of your biggest readers, I say finish the story. Or else. *Bum bum bummm*

HUnewearl_Meira
Jan 16, 2004, 12:32 PM
Finish the first book first. If you give up on one and start another, you're likely to never return to the original to finish it. Take this advice from the author of two borderline novel-length fanfics, and hundreds of previous, unfinished independent works.